Making Friends With Black People

Making Friends With Black People

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Sure, black men and women have been through four hundred years of slavery, oppression, murder, and watching white students try to dance, but now that it's hip to have black friends, white people aren't sure how to go about it. And that is a real American tragedy. Thank God Nick Adams is here to help you avoid racial pitfalls and successfully make the transition from white...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Kensington

Pam
Nick Adam's well-meaning and humorous look at the challenges that white people face attempting to understand us was published in 2006. It probably wasn't best to wait until 2010 to read this book.

Some parts are funny. Especially when he talks about white people attempting to handle hip-hop and actually assuming they know what good hip-hop is. The part about white people dancing and being in clubs is funny too.

But then, Nick just begins to sound like a know-it-all angry prick with a soft spot fo...more
Gabrielle  at Diction Media Group
Nick Adams is hilarious. Period. This is a wittingly poignant book that everyone should read. It might not seem as funny to someone who hasn't felt like class pet just cause you decided to rock afro puffs this morning. But for anyone who is constantly asked to speak for their entire race (whichever minority race you may be), stop answering questions about your people and culture and don't get offended by Becky, Fern, or Jim... Just leave a copy of this book next to your water cooler and watch yo...more
I'm not totally sure what the point of this book is. It's a bit raunchy, which I should have guessed when in the dedication the author thanked his wife for the sex. That was a bit strange...

It reminded me a lot about the Why do Black People Love Fried Chicken book. It was the author's opinion with no evidence of research.

I was also thrown by the comment of how black people leave the church behind as soon as they are old enough, and then reading his chapter on Christianity. I found it insensitive...more
Kellee
Apr 09, 2010 Kellee rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: absolutely no one
Recommended to Kellee by: Shavonda Sisson
I wish there was a blank star for "hated it." This book sucked big-time! I will be the first to admit that there were a few times I giggled, but most of the time, I was shaking my head in disgust. I will also admit, I am a black woman and not the biggest fan of white people the majority of the time, but I found this book very racist and downright degrading to white people. His attempt at adding humor to make it sound funny just didn't work. In my opinion, he is very bitter, cocky, annoying and d...more
Brandon
What starts as every stand-up comedian's observations on the difference between white people and black people ("White guys do this, while black guys do THIS!") slowly turns into a thoughtful and insightful look at one guy's experience in a country where being relegated to second class citizen status still happens on an all too regular basis. There aren't many tips on actually making friends with black people other than don't be the guy who wants to use the n-word and quit saying Eminem is great,...more
Adrienne
This is a great book for all of you well-meaning white folks out there. Adams illustrates to us cultural etiquette and boundaries in interacting with our black friends and colleagues. He uses clever humor to put across some pretty serious issues about racism and politics, but keeps the reader feeling comfortable.

A bi-racial friend of mine found this book somewhat trite, but if you have always wondered things like "why can't white people use the "N" word?" or "Is it ok to try to use the handshake...more
Alex
Feb 27, 2013 Alex rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: College age people
Recommended to Alex by: My father
If you're going into this book with a serious mindset, then find something else to do. It's a funny, at times raunchy, look at how the "average" white person looks at black people. It is written very much in the same vein as something one might see on Chappelle's Show, which if you're offended by that then you will be offended by this.

While Nick Adams does make some serious arguments about what he feels are shortcomings in society in terms of race relation, readers should be aware that this is a...more
Jennifer Patrick
NOt only did this book make me laugh until I nearly peed my pants, it really gave you a lot to think about afterwords. It does need a re-write on the chapter on blacks in politics. There is a breif mention of a certain senator from Illinois, but the author pointedly says "black people don't get to be president". Not that having a black president has solved the problem of racism by a long shot, it has certainly given an entire generation at the very least hope.
Ericka Fluellen
the author discusses things you should or should not do when making friends with black people. It is not necessarily true, but it is a great discussiomn starter. This an an awesome book to introduce cultural difference for the college aged crowd. It has a humorous tone and cites differences with ease. It also has some interesting illustrations. Very fun to read.
Sumayyah
Crudely amusing and realistic (to a certain demographic of the United States of America) but makes the mistake of over-generalizing some issues and glosses over other. Still, a decent way to pass time and laugh.
Tiffany
Feb 28, 2008 Tiffany rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tiffany by: Beavers
This book is pretty funny, but I'm not sure if it delivers on its title. I finished reading it back in January and so far, I haven't made any new friends of any kind. But, I guess that's not the point, is it?
Shaina
HILARIOUS! Completely tongue and cheek look at race differences and especially funny if you grew up in the 80's and 90's like the author (who's nephew actually attended the school I taught at in Norfolk :)
Leslie
Apr 28, 2008 Leslie rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: eh?
I thought the author made some valid points but this book was more a diatribe than anything. He's definitely got some anger issues. Oh yeah, and he could have found a better copyeditor. Lots of typos.
James
Sep 17, 2008 James rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: White people that say y'all
A funny take on various aspects that white America is unaware of. While humorous throughout I hope most people will realize how much minorities are still treated like crap.
Melissa
I recommend this book to all my friends. I read it and still read parts of it when I want to laugh.
He writes with a frank sense of humor that I found refreshing.
Duus
Very clever, funny, insightful. Is, in fact, about what the title states; i.e. social commentary. For example: a vicious broadside against Eminem.
Emily
Oct 29, 2008 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone looking for a hilarious yet truthful insight into African-American culture
Adams writes in a style that is half-comedic, half-satiric, and he drives home some sharp points about racial division in the United States.
Emily Seaman
Pretty funny book. Had a bit of a dip in the middle of it (ranting), but then it evened back out again. I would recommend it!
Valarie
The book I would have written if I had the energy. I loved it so much, many of my friends got a copy the year I bought it.
Lauren
Hilarious while making a point, but not an in your face point. Laughed my face off while seeing another perspective.
Terica
Nov 16, 2008 Terica marked it as to-read
My 1st Big Lots book find. I had to buy it for Nathan, cause you know he has issues making friends with black people.
Some really funny material and quotes, but loses steam toward the end. I'd rather see it performed live.
Vanessa614
Quick and funny read. Found myself chuckling at times. I totally get the author's humor.
Jenene
VERY Funny! Hope the writer does an updated version (published in 2006).
Anna
Jul 31, 2008 Anna is currently reading it
It sounds worse then it is. Actually very funny and smart.
Wilson
Some of my best friends are black people now.
Nickie
hilarious read
thew
Hilarious book.
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2006
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The American Boomerang Exceptional America: A Message of Hope from a Modern-Day de Tocqueville The Rebel and the King Father Adams The American Boomerang: How the World's Greatest 'Turnaround' Nation Will Do It Again