What Colleges Don't Tell You (And Other Parents Don't Want You to Know): 272 Secrets for Getting Your Kid into the Top Schools

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A sought-after packager of high school students shares 272 secrets to help parents get their kids into the top schools

Targeting the savvy parents of today?s college-bound teenagers who seek to gain a proven edge in the college admissions process, this book reveals 272 little-known secrets to help parents get their kids into the school of their dreams.

Did you know?
? A ch...more
Published July 31st 2007 by Plume (first published August 3rd 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about What Colleges Don't Tell You (And Other Parents Don't Want You to Know)

Suzanne
This book certainly has some useful tips and is worth skimming. That being said, it is also heavily biased towards kids racking up credentials and contest wins in math and science, and not paying adequate attention to other unusual accomplishments an applicant may bring to his college application. In addition, it presumes that money is never an object for parents who wish to help their children get into the college of their choice. In reality, money spent on teenage expeditions or cultural excha...more
Karla
Since I am a school counselor, there was no breaking news flash here that I learned and a couple of points with which I totally disagree. However, I can see how this information would be helpful to a parent who has not been exposed to this information since their own college application. This is also aimed at affluent students. It is not practical for an average public school kid.
Jennifer Busick
Feb 28, 2008 Jennifer Busick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents
I'd like my kids to be able to go to school wherever they want to -- if they want to go to Harvard, I'd like them to be able to do that. This book is an eye-opener on just what it takes to get into the very top colleges (tip: Getting to Carnegie Hall would be a good start!).
Aude
I read this book because I thought it would be helpful in the college process. And it was... the other college book I read was more useful though.
Melanie
Ok, so this book is highly snarky but she has a number of good points for helping kids succeed.
Coolwhipcat
Good tips!
and the bad tips are quite entertaining!
Catherine
Has some good tips.
Bre
Bre added it
Aug 30, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Js
Js marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Tan
Tan added it
Jul 07, 2013
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2013
Monique
Monique marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2013
Kelly O
Kelly O marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
What High Schools Don't Tell You (And Other Parents Don't Want You toKnow): Create a Long-Term Plan for Your 7th to 10th Grader for Getting into the Top Colleges What High Schools Don't Tell You: 300+ Secrets to Make Your Kid Irresistible to Colleges by Senior Year Write Your College Essay in Less Than a Day What Colleges Don't Tell You (and Other Parents Don't Want You to Know): 272 Secrets for Getting Your Kid Into the Top Schools What High Schools Don't Tell You (and Other Parents Don't Want You to Know)