Start by marking “What Colleges Don't Tell You (And Other Parents Don't Want You to Know): 272 Secrets for Getting Your Kid into the Top Schools” as Want to Read:

A sought-after packager of high school students shares 272 secrets to help parents get their kids into the top schools

Targeting the savvy parents of today?s college-bound teenagers who seek to gain a proven edge in the college admissions process, this book reveals 272 little-known secrets to help parents get their kids into the school of their dreams.

Did you know?
? A ch
Published July 31st 2007 by Plume (first published August 3rd 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about What Colleges Don't Tell You (And Other Parents Don't Want You to Know)

Suzanne
Sep 27, 2013 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: for-julia, education
This book certainly has some useful tips and is worth skimming. That being said, it is also heavily biased towards kids racking up credentials and contest wins in math and science, and not paying adequate attention to other unusual accomplishments an applicant may bring to his college application. In addition, it presumes that money is never an object for parents who wish to help their children get into the college of their choice. In reality, money spent on teenage expeditions or cultural excha ...more
Karla
Jul 23, 2011 Karla rated it it was ok
Since I am a school counselor, there was no breaking news flash here that I learned and a couple of points with which I totally disagree. However, I can see how this information would be helpful to a parent who has not been exposed to this information since their own college application. This is also aimed at affluent students. It is not practical for an average public school kid.
Jennifer Busick
Feb 28, 2008 Jennifer Busick rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents
I'd like my kids to be able to go to school wherever they want to -- if they want to go to Harvard, I'd like them to be able to do that. This book is an eye-opener on just what it takes to get into the very top colleges (tip: Getting to Carnegie Hall would be a good start!).
Coolwhipcat
Good tips!
and the bad tips are quite entertaining!
MelanieMM
Ok, so this book is highly snarky but she has a number of good points for helping kids succeed.
Zui
Apr 06, 2015 Zui rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fic, other
Helicopter parenting 101. The book do provide lots of good advice and resource though.
Aude
Jan 03, 2008 Aude rated it liked it
I read this book because I thought it would be helpful in the college process. And it was... the other college book I read was more useful though.
Laura rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Steven Park
Steven Park rated it it was ok
Jan 13, 2017
Gary
Gary rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2012
Beth Shaw
Beth Shaw rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2017
Lnc
Lnc rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2012
Bethany Mo
Bethany Mo rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2013
Alexander Kwok
Alexander Kwok rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2008
Will
Will rated it did not like it
Jul 08, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it it was ok
Dec 07, 2012
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Michael R.
Michael R. rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Deirdre Hamling
Deirdre Hamling rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2013
Streese50
Streese50 rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2012
Carolina
May 03, 2016 Carolina rated it it was ok
A few useful tips, but overall I found it neurotic and dysfunctionally aggressive.
Reta Hampton
Reta Hampton rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2015
David
David rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2013
Mike Mihalik
Mike Mihalik rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Abigail Advincula
Abigail Advincula rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Nancy Giuga
Nancy Giuga rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2015
John Stahl
John Stahl rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2012
Eva
Eva rated it did not like it
Jul 31, 2010