Start by marking “Salvador Dali: 1904-1989 (Basic Art)” as Want to Read:
Salvador Dali: 1904-1989 (Basic Art)

Salvador Dali: 1904-1989 (Taschen Basic Art)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  1,129 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Salvador Dali (1904 1989) was one of the century's greatest exhibitionists and eccentrics, with a flair for controversy. The story of his life and work makes for fascinating reading. He was one of the first to apply the insights of psychoanalysis to the art of painting. Full-color reproductions and thorough text provide a quick yet solid introduction to this master.
Published August 1st 1999 by Taschen (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Salvador Dali, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salvador Dali

Luís Blue Coltrane
Salvador Dalí was born Salvador Felipe Jacinto Dalí y Domenech on May 11, 1904, in Figueres, Spain, located 16 miles from the French border in the foothills of the Pyrenees Mountains. His father, Salvador Dalí y Cusi, was a middle class lawyer and notary. Salvador's father had a strict disciplinary approach to raising children—a style of child-rearing which contrasted sharply with that of his mother, Felipa Domenech Ferres. She often indulged young Salvador in his art and early eccentricities.
It
Joan
Nov 05, 2012 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw the Dali exhibit at the Philadelphia art museum about five years ago and really felt a kinship with him. I also felt the same way about Frida Kahlo. Maybe I like Spanish speaker artists better than European or American ones. They seem more cultured.

Anyway, I bought the book at this cute cd store on 17th and Samson a couple weeks ago and liked looking at the pictures and skimming the book about his theories about art and his life story. I thought it was interesting that he looked so young
Clair
Jan 17, 2009 Clair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
This collection is a great taste of Dali. I love the symbolism in his art -- which include major themes of life -- love, death, religion, aging, reality, art, science, etc. Each piece seems to have hidden symbolic treasures upon close inspection. And his imagination ... wow!

Good price for someone interested in checking out Dali.
Diletta
Sep 26, 2013 Diletta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Io e Dalí condividiamo molto il modo in cui si devono vedere correttamente certe cose. Chi dice che Dalí è "assurdo" semplicemente non ha capito un granché. Perché lui in realtà ha dipinto "tutto". Edizione meravigliosa, con delucidazioni chiare e citazioni bellissime.
Alex Obrigewitsch
Aug 06, 2016 Alex Obrigewitsch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dalí is a master of materially and symbolically manifesting not only his own obsessions and paranoias, but also of doing so in a manner that resonates with all humanity, for they are the specters that haunt the human spirit.

A master of surrealism, Dalí's works belch forth the aborted excrement of the real, planting the seed of paranoic instability in reality, opening the cracks through which ever seep the impossible; the vertigo of a revolving interiority-exteriority set eternally spining like
Taddow
Feb 28, 2014 Taddow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Dali- words cannot describe...
Wilde Sky
Oct 12, 2015 Wilde Sky rated it really liked it
This book describes the life and work of a famous artist.

Some of the comments made were a bit annoying (they appeared to be trying get into the artist’s mind - which is impossible, in my opinion), but the factual bits were interesting and many of the pictures were striking / captivating (even when I couldn't figure out what they were supposed to “symbolise”).
Apryl Anderson
I'm guessing that the original text was in German, because the run-on translation was so difficult to follow. The photographic reproductions were not the best quality, but the fine details do come through in the small scale. It was not difficult to identify the erotic intent of the assembled works.

Okay, here's an example, from page 28, "Simultaneously hard and soft, it represents the sexual instinct as intellectualized and sublimated by art. The crutch an the monstrous outgrowth of cerebralized
Bernie
Mar 18, 2015 Bernie rated it liked it
A nice introduction to Dali's work with colourful illustrations and it is laid out well. Just like his paintings that are weird but wonderful it seems Salvador was just as weird and I would presume as wonderful. I felt it could reveal more about the man and his relationship with his muse Gala. But the book is small in size so I feel furthur reading is required.
Sakina (Y.L.) Angel
Jan 18, 2015 Sakina (Y.L.) Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, art
This was a fascinating and extremely accessible introduction into the life and works of Dali. It's evident that the writer is very familiar with both the writings and paintings, and shows the audience enough to make them want to read more.
Roy
Aug 06, 2016 Roy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book not large format but a nice size with many reproductions of his paintings
James Lawton
Jan 21, 2014 James Lawton rated it it was amazing
Absolute mad man, yet some what unique and one of a kind, nice mini biography with many pictures of his paintings. Great book as ever from taschen the name in quality for picture books and collections
Paula Gonzalez
Jun 02, 2016 Paula Gonzalez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un grande Dalí
Sadia
Aug 23, 2011 Sadia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, art
I'd never forget the wonder I felt when I first saw Dali's 'Persistence of memory' - it opened the realm of surrelism for me. Pure genius I thought and I wanted to explore this new world of dream-like imagination.

In my opinion, no one does surreal better than Dali. I love his work! It's so imaginative, with hints of dark elements often. I'd never tire of this man's work.
Bader
Jun 04, 2009 Bader rated it liked it
Shelves: in-my-library, art
the 3 stars are for the organization of the book in addition to the work of Dali included in. Most of the book's text is quotations of Dali and others so I believe it is not one of the best. However, Dali is one. I am looking forward reading more about his life and work.
Nick
Mar 07, 2008 Nick rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Artists, Graffiti buffs, Drug buffs, anyone
I am a huge fan of Dali's. He is one of the most inspiring artists of all time. I have a theory that he is a genius. He paints surreal images that become real when you study each one. A truely amazing man.
Kirsten
Aug 23, 2007 Kirsten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: art nerds
It's fucking Dali!
This book in particular has illustrations of the paintings that are referenced, which I found helped illustrate things better when going over the story behind specific details.
James
Jan 29, 2008 James rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
An interesting book that not only covers Dali's familiar work but also shows a couple of less well-known sides to him, those of sculpture and of non-surreal representational art.
Lora
Really good inside in Dali work. I have this book and i always go back to it. I love Dali work and if you are into it or you are not sure, i recommend it.
1001 Acessórios
Aprendi a apreciar uma obra, que não achava nada interessante. após conhecer pormenores do trabalho deste senhor: fiquei fã
Jayson
Jun 18, 2009 Jayson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Weird, Amazing, Repulsive, Insightful, Sometimes Pretty ... He was mad.
Melzanie
Jan 28, 2008 Melzanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun-and-art
sweet pics, minimal yet informative explanation, and of course, great price!
Sloan
May 10, 2008 Sloan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal
You can't beat Dali. Have several prints, and this book on my coffee table.
Mike
Mar 19, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a must have coffee table book, in order to reference Dali when need be.
Rees
Nov 11, 2013 Rees rated it liked it
Great detail on what we really want to know about this bizarre character.
Jean-luc
Sep 01, 2010 Jean-luc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
perfectly documented art history of a Genius
Jocelin
Always love art books by Salvador Dali.
David
Aug 22, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Dali...
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2016
  • Pablo Picasso, 1881-1973: Genius of the Century
  • Leonardo Da Vinci, 1452-1519
  • Rene Magritte, 1898-1967: Thought Rendered Visible
  • Sandro Botticelli 1444/45 - 1510
  • Joan Miro: 1893-1983
  • Pierre-Auguste Renoir, 1841-1919: A Dream of Harmony
  • Cézanne, 1839-1906: Pioneer of Modernism (Taschen Basic Art)
  • Monet
  • Essential Dali (256 Art Books)
  • Jackson Pollock: 1912-1956
  • Matisse
  • Wassily Kandinsky: 1866-1944 a Revolution in Painting
  • Andy Warhol, 1928-1987: Commerce Into Art
  • Bruegel: The Complete Paintings (Basic Art)
  • Roy Lichtenstein, 1923-1997
  • Degas (Basic Art)
  • Amedeo Modigliani, 1884-1920: The Poetry of Seeing
  • Toulouse-Lautrec
Gilles Néret (1933 - August 3, 2005) was a French art critic and historian, journalist and curator. He wrote extensively on the history of erotica.

He organized several art retrospectives in Japan and founded the SEIBU museum and the Wildenstein Gallery in Tokyo. He directed art reviews such as L’Oeil and Connaissance des Arts and received the Elie Faure Prize in 1981 for his publications. Since 1
More about Gilles Néret...

Taschen Basic Art (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Arcimboldo (Taschen Basic Art)
  • Botero (Taschen Art Album)
  • Bruegel: The Complete Paintings (Basic Art)
  • Calder, 1898-1976
  • Cézanne, 1839-1906: Pioneer of Modernism (Taschen Basic Art)
  • Chagall
  • Gustave Courbet: Taschen Basic Art
  • Degas (Basic Art)
  • Marcel Duchamp: 1887-1968; Art as Anti-Art
  • Ensor (Taschen Basic Art)