Start by marking “G.L.A. Vol. 1: Misassembled (Great Lakes Avengers)” as Want to Read:
G.L.A. Vol. 1: Misassembled (Great Lakes Avengers)

G.L.A. Vol. 1: Misassembled (Great Lakes Avengers)

They are the Great Lake Avengers, the guys who got the shortest end of the super-hero stick. But with the real Avengers disassembled, they're going to try to step up to the plate and deal with one of their most powerful villains Can they save the day? Well, we just hope these guys can save themselves Collects G.L.A. #1-4; and West Coast Avengers #46.
Published December 28th 2005 by Marvel Comics (first published January 11th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about G.L.A. Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about G.L.A. Vol. 1

Mike
Apr 05, 2015 Mike rated it liked it
This is Dan Slott before Slott found his groove on Spider-man. The only other Slott I remember from this era was Mighty Avengers, and I couldn't stand that hyperventilating-about-the-unsung-heroism-of-Hank-Pym tripe, so I was pleasantly surprised to hear over & over how great Slott's Spidey run was (until I finally broke down and tried it myself). (Somehow I've completely forgotten reading his run of She-Hulk, and I think I'm gonna remedy that very soon.)

I'm a big fan of the underdog, the al
David
Dec 31, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
Really hard book to find. I can see why Dan Slott is such a pop-cult writer. The more I read of his work the more I find to admire. This one's a comedy. Think Terry Pratchett style humor but super-heroed. Need to find more Dan Slott! Next up is his run on She-Hulk.
Matt Anderson
Nov 16, 2014 Matt Anderson rated it really liked it
Collects G.L.A. issues #1-4, West Coast Avengers #46, and Marvel Super-Heroes #8

I'm giving this collection a 4-star rating, not just for the story, but because I think this is a well-done collection for Great Lakes Avengers fans. The story itself probably deserves a 3 or 3.5-star rating.

The main reason I read this is because I am a huge fan of Dan Slott, and I was interested to see what he would do with the GLA. I think he did a good job with this oddball team. I had never read anything with th
Oct 09, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This is beautiful and nothing hurts. I laughed, I got the feels (not Monkey Joe!!), and I loved every minute of it. Between weird jokes about Wisconsin and genuine character depth, you almost forget that this book essentially only exists to make fun of the 'dark' turn in superhero comics of the 90's/00's. A classic!
B
Jul 04, 2015 B rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
There are some weird issues of tone here as it tries to be simultaneous dark and cheery, thrilling and funny. It kind of feels garbled as a whole.

I'm not sure any of it is better than the original GLA / Deadpool, but what is?
Emmanuel Nevers
Dec 02, 2015 Emmanuel Nevers rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The GLA are funny and 4th wall breaking kind of like a PG 13 Deadpool. This book balanced the line between funny and dark.
Casseroll
Mar 31, 2016 Casseroll rated it liked it
Humorous and odd. A spoof on superheroes with great artwork. The hair was drawn well. Haha
Travis
Jan 19, 2009 Travis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Marvel's version of the 'Mystery men' get their own adventure and along with their screw ups, and a couple deaths manage to save the world.

Fun read, as the GLA are treated as goofs, but goofs that want to do the right thing and be heroes. The humor doesn't feel forced or only there to make the heroes look like idiots. Unlike Kieth Giffen's JLA run or a lot of what passes for 'humor' in comics these days.

You laugh, but also root for these guys.

Plus, who doesn't love Squirrel girl?
Jace
Jul 23, 2010 Jace rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Dan Slott is one of my favorite comic writers. He tells great super hero stories in the mold of classic comics, and he's hilarious to boot. Somehow his humor also seems just appropriate for the story. It doesn't go overboard like Justice League International (which I love as well, just in a different way) often did. Plus the Great Lakes Avengers are a really fun squad. And are much more interesting than other more serious super teams.
Jdetrick
While John Byrne may have created the Great Lakes Avengers, I think that Dan Slott thrust them into greatness in this series. Balancing the darkness of today's comics with some amazing humor, this series proves that any character can be fun to read. Even Squirrel Girl.
Lindsay
Jan 31, 2011 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel-comics
LeShane
Jan 04, 2008 LeShane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comix
The only superhero team from my hometown...Milwaukee, WI

All their powers suck, less Mr Immortal, but whats the point of being able to reincarnate...
Samuel
Nov 06, 2012 Samuel rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Dan Slott writes a sarcastic, slapstick superhero series and he manages to pull it off.
Kevin Connery
Oct 02, 2011 Kevin Connery rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Quirky
Lauren Drover
Lauren Drover rated it did not like it
Sep 18, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Philip Cosand
Philip Cosand rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2016
A David
A David marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Matthew Mcguinness
Matthew Mcguinness marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Owen Taylor
Owen Taylor rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Peter A Jordan
Peter A Jordan marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Scott Crowe
Scott Crowe rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2016
Galen
Galen rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Alan
Alan rated it did not like it
Jun 10, 2016
Edwin ringnell
Edwin ringnell rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
  • Fantastic Four, Vol 3: Authoritative Action
  • X-Factor: Madrox - Multiple Choice
  • House of M: Mutopia X (District-X: House of M)
  • Cable and Deadpool, Vol. 3: The Human Race