Start by marking “Whoo? Whoo?” as Want to Read:
Whoo? Whoo?

Whoo? Whoo?

3.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Whoo? Whoo? Who is that animal peeking through the page? See if you can guess which cut-out shapes create which familiar barnyard friend in this clever sequel to David Carter's original guessing game story "Woof! Woof!" (Hint: Don't forget the title!)
Novelty Book, 32 pages
Published August 28th 2007 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Whoo? Whoo?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whoo? Whoo?

Amy Forrester
Mar 07, 2014 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
Using just a handful of words and another handful of question marks, this is a guessing game of a book. First, readers are presented with a solitary question mark on the left hand page and on the right a set of shapes cut out from the white paper. The color of the next page provides a tantalizing peek of the illustration on the next page. Turn the page and the shapes have been rearranged to create an animal. Kids will enjoy guessing the animals, from a sheep to a frog, an owl to a goose. The cut ...more
Emily Taylor
Feb 13, 2014 Emily Taylor rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-collection
Peritext: Shapes of an owl on the front cover.
Author: David A. Carter
Themes: Inferring creatures from shapes
Text: Limited to single words on page. Greater text is displayed through images.
Thoughts: A good text to show how to infer, or for mathematical shapes
Debby Baumgartner
David Carter uses different shapes that are cut out from the page which children are to guess what animal that could make. The next page reveals the answer.
Karen
Dec 09, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library last week. He has a love/hate relationship with owls.

My son is just learning how to draw objects by using shapes. It took a couple of illustrations before my son caught on that the shapes on one page were used to create an animal on the next page. Once he saw that, he was fascinated.

This book would also work very well for children much younger than my son, children who were just learning their animals and the sounds that animals make.
Magila
Jan 20, 2013 Magila rated it it was ok
2.5

The concept of shapes and a guessing game is sound. Sure, the shapes and animals are not always obvious, but that's ok. I particularly appreciated how the shapes and guide invite kids to trace and create their own animals.

Unfortunately, it fell short of its promise. The concept was so much better than the execution that I have to officially rate it "eh." I'll try more from the author, and hope that future installments are done a bit better. I found the book Robot Zombie Frankenstein! to be a
Bonnie Arriola
Oct 23, 2015 Bonnie Arriola rated it really liked it
a good story time discussion book
Hannah Snelling
May 02, 2012 Hannah Snelling rated it it was ok
This is a picture book that kids can interact with by looking at the shapes in it and trying to figure out WHO the shapes can be combined to make (animals). I thought this book was fun, but it was REALLY hard to figure out and I don’t think it’d be fun for students to look at a book and not be able to figure out what animal it is… It could be used for creativity for 1st- 3rd graders.
Samantha
Nov 11, 2013 Samantha rated it liked it
A variety of shapes are presented and readers are challenged to guess what they will combine to make. The following page assembles the shapes into a familiar animal and includes their characteristic sounds/noises.

This is a book that begs for extension activities. Gathering pre-cut shapes should make for some unique creations. PreK-2.
Amanda
Oct 20, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
This ended up being a re-requested book from my son, even though it was totally different than the David Carter pop-ups "Bugs series" that we were familiar with. These are cut outs which eventually make recognizable characters. Maybe since he's such a puzzle-nut these were right up his alley.
Lynn
Sep 10, 2008 Lynn rated it really liked it
Such a clever book! A white page with shapes cut out yields on a page turn to an animal shape. This made a big hit with my 5-year-old picture book testers. After reading this about 20 times, we designed our own examples which was a lot of fun.
Melissa
Oct 06, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok
I wanted to be able to guess the animal from the shapes, and I just couldn't, but perhaps I was just being dense. Not for my baby storytime, at any rate!
Stacey Starley
Apr 29, 2009 Stacey Starley rated it really liked it
My 3 year old LOVED this book. It's a guessing game of cut shapes and the next page is using those shapes together to form an animal. Very creative.
Molly
Nov 23, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
For younger audiences this is a simple hidden animal boo. For older kids you could do a lot with manipulating the shapes before the big reveal.
Rosa
Jan 07, 2013 Rosa rated it liked it
varioius shapes are used to make animals. The shapes are rather small for a story time book although great for one on one reading.
Felicia
Apr 08, 2012 Felicia rated it it was amazing
I like to read this book then give the kids in my class shapes and see what they can come up with. I also do it at home once in a while.
Tricia
Apr 12, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
My reader wanted to re-visit this clever book with cutout shapes that make animals. Simple, yet enjoyable.
Amy
Aug 22, 2010 Amy rated it it was ok
Nora, who is obsessed with owls, found this book on her own at the library today. :)
Morgan
Aug 19, 2008 Morgan rated it liked it
This book would be best one-on-one with a child.
Jamie
Nov 27, 2009 Jamie added it
Shelves: shapes-colours
Cut outs make the picture.
Cindi Downer
Cindi Downer rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Carol
Carol added it
Mar 31, 2016
Sarah Gioia
Sarah Gioia rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Yana D.
Yana D. rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2016
Neus
Neus rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2016
Polly
Polly added it
Dec 18, 2015
Kelly Hong
Kelly Hong marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Brenda Steffens
Brenda Steffens rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Jennifer Embree
Jennifer Embree rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2015