Start by marking “Whoo? Whoo?” as Want to Read:
Whoo? Whoo?

Whoo? Whoo?

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Whoo? Whoo? Who is that animal peeking through the page? See if you can guess which cut-out shapes create which familiar barnyard friend in this clever sequel to David Carter's original guessing game story "Woof! Woof!" (Hint: Don't forget the title!)
Novelty Book, 32 pages
Published August 28th 2007 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Whoo? Whoo?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whoo? Whoo?

Amy Musser
Using just a handful of words and another handful of question marks, this is a guessing game of a book. First, readers are presented with a solitary question mark on the left hand page and on the right a set of shapes cut out from the white paper. The color of the next page provides a tantalizing peek of the illustration on the next page. Turn the page and the shapes have been rearranged to create an animal. Kids will enjoy guessing the animals, from a sheep to a frog, an owl to a goose. The cut ...more
Emily Taylor
Peritext: Shapes of an owl on the front cover.
Author: David A. Carter
Themes: Inferring creatures from shapes
Text: Limited to single words on page. Greater text is displayed through images.
Thoughts: A good text to show how to infer, or for mathematical shapes
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library last week. He has a love/hate relationship with owls.

My son is just learning how to draw objects by using shapes. It took a couple of illustrations before my son caught on that the shapes on one page were used to create an animal on the next page. Once he saw that, he was fascinated.

This book would also work very well for children much younger than my son, children who were just learning their animals and the sounds that animals make.
Magila
2.5

The concept of shapes and a guessing game is sound. Sure, the shapes and animals are not always obvious, but that's ok. I particularly appreciated how the shapes and guide invite kids to trace and create their own animals.

Unfortunately, it fell short of its promise. The concept was so much better than the execution that I have to officially rate it "eh." I'll try more from the author, and hope that future installments are done a bit better. I found the book Robot Zombie Frankenstein! to be a
Hannah Snelling
This is a picture book that kids can interact with by looking at the shapes in it and trying to figure out WHO the shapes can be combined to make (animals). I thought this book was fun, but it was REALLY hard to figure out and I don’t think it’d be fun for students to look at a book and not be able to figure out what animal it is… It could be used for creativity for 1st- 3rd graders.
Samantha
A variety of shapes are presented and readers are challenged to guess what they will combine to make. The following page assembles the shapes into a familiar animal and includes their characteristic sounds/noises.

This is a book that begs for extension activities. Gathering pre-cut shapes should make for some unique creations. PreK-2.
Amanda
This ended up being a re-requested book from my son, even though it was totally different than the David Carter pop-ups "Bugs series" that we were familiar with. These are cut outs which eventually make recognizable characters. Maybe since he's such a puzzle-nut these were right up his alley.
Lynn
Such a clever book! A white page with shapes cut out yields on a page turn to an animal shape. This made a big hit with my 5-year-old picture book testers. After reading this about 20 times, we designed our own examples which was a lot of fun.
Melissa
I wanted to be able to guess the animal from the shapes, and I just couldn't, but perhaps I was just being dense. Not for my baby storytime, at any rate!
Stacey Starley
My 3 year old LOVED this book. It's a guessing game of cut shapes and the next page is using those shapes together to form an animal. Very creative.
Molly
For younger audiences this is a simple hidden animal boo. For older kids you could do a lot with manipulating the shapes before the big reveal.
Rosa
varioius shapes are used to make animals. The shapes are rather small for a story time book although great for one on one reading.
Felicia
I like to read this book then give the kids in my class shapes and see what they can come up with. I also do it at home once in a while.
Tricia
My reader wanted to re-visit this clever book with cutout shapes that make animals. Simple, yet enjoyable.
Amy
Nora, who is obsessed with owls, found this book on her own at the library today. :)
Morgan
This book would be best one-on-one with a child.
Jamie
Nov 27, 2009 Jamie added it
Shelves: shapes-colours
Cut outs make the picture.
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Breajanee
Breajanee marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
600 Black Spots One Red Dot: A Pop-Up Book for Children of All Ages Love Bugs Easter Bugs How Many Bugs in a Box?: A Pop Up Counting Book