On Tall Pine Lake

On Tall Pine Lake

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  420 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Nona Conrad has been making it through "by the hardest." Each day is a struggle - to go on after her parents' sudden death, to win her rightful inheritance from her untrustworthy half-brother, and to raise her high-spirited younger sister. Hired to manage a fishing camp deep in the Arkansas woods, the strong-willed redhead is eager to settle down - until she clashes with t...more
Published January 5th 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about On Tall Pine Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Tall Pine Lake

Melissa
This was not one of Garlock's better ones. In fact, I'd have to say that this is probably the worst book of hers that I've read so far. Which is a shame, because normally I like her books pretty well.

Just before getting ready to move, Nona gets a message from her estranged half brother asking her to hold a package for him. Thinking nothing of it, she continues on with her plans and she, an old friend Mabel, and her little sister Maggie head out to Tall Pine Lake where she will be managing a camp...more
jimtown
Dorothy Garlock, billed as 'The Voice of America's Hearland' started this book out with some suspense. A box was delivered to the main character, Nona just as she was about to move and take a new job. The box was from her half-brother and he asked her not to open it.

Okay, so now we're all curious as to what's inside the box. I'll keep you posted!

On Tall Pine Lake wasn't as good as other Garlock books I've read. The characters weren't as likable, didn't really grow on me. There was lots of action...more
Ghyllee
as usually with this author, the premise has promise but the writing is so amateurish, the plot movement non-believable, and the characters inconsistent. i'm going to have to give up on Ms Garlock.
Karen & Gerard
This is quite an action-packed adventure for Nona Conrad and her sister, Maggie, and good friend Mabel that takes place at a fishing campgrounds in Arkansas. This is a fast-paced novel involving criminal activity that the reader is let in on as well as some the reader is left to figure out. There is suspense, some mystery and some romance in the novel. It is a quick read because it keeps your interest with all the action in it that makes you eager to see what will happen next. As Nona had a hard...more
Ivy Sanderson
Couldn't have been written by a better author and it kept me wanting more. I can't wait to read more of Dorothy's books
Karen Thacker
A nice murder, mystery, romance book.
Amy
This book was a quick read, and full of action and suspense. Starts out with Harold, Nona and Maggie's Half-brother, sends Nona a mysterious box and said do not open the box just keep it safe. Nona and Maggie move to Tall Pine Lake and are hired to take care of cabins by a mysterious boss. An array of characters are thrown into the mix whom to trust, and whom not to trust? What's in this mysterious box? I highly reccomend reading this book, you will not be disappointed.
Nancy
I like to listen to audio books at bed time to put me to sleep. If I get a really good book, it will keep me up most of the night. This was not one of those for me. It's another romance novel. Two of the women have fallen in love in less than one week, to men who protect them from the bad guys. One jumps in bed with her man, and at that point,I fast forewarded to get by most of that part. It was good enough to put me to sleep for a few nights.
Barbara
Well read by Anna Fields.
This is a story about 2 sisters, Maggie age 10 and Nona age 3. At least that what they seemed like even though they are actually older. Why do authors think angry foolish women are so attractive?
Outside of Nona and Maggie, the story was an average simple who done it thriller. Had the women been smarter, this would have been like a Nancy Drew story. Easy read if you aren't looking for much.
Carol
Great idea but the writing was not the best. Just to simple and the people just changed at the drop of the hat. No way.

I did it again and read this one over :( LANGUAGE! and you could see the plot and what was going to happen after just the first couple of chapters. Oh well, I listened to it while scrapping the calcium off the pool tile so it kept me amused doing an ugly job.
Evelyn
Struggling to make ends meet while taking care of her younger sister, Nona Cinrad takes a job at a rural fishing camp and encounters evil men looking for her estranged half-brother.

Garlock's 50th book! A gentle, simplistic romantic story with a strong theme of good vs. evil. Recommend.
L
Two sisters and their friend are betrayed by their step-brother and saved by a real hero...this is a good read for relaxing the brain and just enjoyed a good book. Garlock weaves a good tale and has some realistic bad busy without lots of bad language.
Sue
If you want a very simple story this is a good book. It kept my interest just enough. Very heartwarming between the relationships. Not really my kind of read but; a lot of people would find this book very enjoyable.
Ray or Deanna Hicklin
Even though this is a novel, it truly shows how hardships in life can become life-altering. Because the book takes place in Arkansas, I truly enjoyed it.
Paula
The only reason i finished it was because I have a goal to read a book a week in 2010 and i've been sick this week so this is it.
Stephanie
I really like this author. I've read a few of her books and they seem to follow the same formula, but good none the less.
lynn
this was a predictible, unrealistic tale. Yeah. some mystery and romance..but not really worth the time...
Pam
Mystery in the woods at a resort for hunters and fishing in the Arkansas woods. Gutsy characters.
Dottie
Good Storie about a young women faceing a dangerous future, and a unexpected love
Lynne
This book was great. It had a well thought out plot and many exciting characters.
Jo-Ann W.
Another one even Anna Fields couldn't make enjoyable. Creep book.
Julie Watson
I liked the storyline but could have done without the language.
Marilyn
The lead male character was too controlling & bossy.
Danthony74
Enjoyed the read. it is a cute predictable story.
Eve
Jun 25, 2010 Eve added it
eh-ok book, some suspense but mostly predictable-quick read
Lyndi
Very predictable. Made it to the end, but under impressed.
Tana
Not my cup of tea, but read for a book discussion
Sally johnston
great story that I couldn't wait to see what happened.
Erin Butera
Quick read, typical plot, but still fun to read.
Pam Van Winkle
Nice easy to read suspense romance.
  • The Long Way Home (A Secret Refuge, #3)
  • The Rancher's Promise (Granger Family Ranch, #3)
  • The Widows of Wichita County
  • Daring Moves
  • Tending to Virginia
  • McCade's Way
  • Spy Cat
  • Trail of Secrets
  • From Fields of Gold
  • Dark Justice
  • The Wings of Morning (Snapshots in History, #1)
  • Don't Look Back (Women of Justice, #2)
Dorothy Garlock is from Texas, but lived for a long time with her family in Iowa. Her romance novels have been translated into over 20 languages.

The mother of two and grandmother of three started her book-writing career in 1976 after working for 14 years as bookkeeper/columnist for the local newspaper. She had received 21 awards from various magazines and writer's groups. She was selected as Outst...more
More about Dorothy Garlock...
The Edge of Town (Jazz Age, #1) Mother Road (Route 66, #1) A Week From Sunday A Place Called Rainwater (Jazz Age, #3) Song of the Road (Route 66, #3)