Start by marking “Cache Lake Country: Life in the North Woods” as Want to Read:
Cache Lake Country: Life in the North Woods

Cache Lake Country: Life in the North Woods

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Over half a century ago, John Rowlands set out by canoe into the wilds of Canada to survey land for a timber company. After paddling alone for several days—"it was so quiet I could hear the drops from the paddle hitting the water"—he came upon "the lake of my boyhood dreams." He never left. He named the place Cache Lake because there was stored the best that the north had ...more
Published September 17th 1998 by Countryman Press (first published December 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Cache Lake Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cache Lake Country

Cache Lake Country is the memoir of a man who lives in the Canadian wilderness. First published in 1948, it remains a timeless classic for lovers of the Great Outdoors. You could describe it as a non-fiction Little House in the Big Woods for grownups. It's a way of vicariously answering the call of the wild and the yearning to leave it all behind for simpler way of life.

Although it was written in the 40's, the language and writing have a timeless feel. Sometimes older books will trip you up wit
Doug Stone
Timeless classic written with great sensitivity. Belongs up there with Sand County Almanac for outdoor reading pleasure.
Lisa Kearns
I discovered this book when I was 13, and have read it no less than 10 times through the next 30 years. Mr. Rowlands was someone I would have loved to spend time with - he was down to earth, interesting, has a good sense of humor, and he lived the kind of life that everyone would love to try. I had fun trying some of his projects, like the needle on the water compass and the dewdrop magnifying glass. As a kid I would dream of living in a cabin near him, Hank and Chief Tibeash, and of canoeing on ...more
When John Rowlands paddled a canoe up a stream and into a small lake in the Canadian Backcountry, he suddenly felt an overwhelming sense of familairity. He then realized that he had stumbled upon the lake of his childhood dreams. This was the lake he had imagined when he and his friends camped at the farm pond as boys.

When the timber company he worked for asked him to stay and and explore the area, he built a cabin on the shores of the lake and named it Cache Lake. This book is my escape at end
Ookla the Mok
Jan 03, 2008 Ookla the Mok rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
My favorite book growing up - the story of life in the woods - the unique and creative way that they coped with needs, the identification with nature, and the skill in writing it all down and crafting it into an interesting story just made it for me.

This was the life I wanted growing up (and most likely why I graduated from college with a degree in Forestry) and I still like just walking in the woods and looking at the wonderful things around me. I think that this is still because of this book.

A timeless classic. Conjures up images of a simpler time, a simpler life.
Julie Churchill
Read in the winter months, nice read
John Wheeler
This was one of the books my dad enjoyed. He was an avid canoeist, camper, outdoorsman, hunter, fisherman, ...etc. The book has a quaint timelessness about it in some respects, although in others it is quite dated. I like the can do attitude of the author when discussing how they do something in the north country, using what you find at hand. if you at all like outdoor life, I would recommend this book to you.
Curtis D
Easily my favorite book. I have read it every Fall for the past 35 years. The mixture of practical advice on simple things, as well as the philosophical musings on Creation and it's progress through the moon cycles is a glorious contemplation. I seldom have the time or inclination to read any book more than once, but when Fall arrives, and the days are shorter and the nights are colder, I am certain that I will reach for this book again, and again.
To be read by all outdoor lovers and those that wish times were simpler. Would also be a great read for any Dads with adventuresome kids that like to build forts and generally muck around in the woods.
A book the combines an almanc style of prose, with useful bushcrafty how-to projects. I wish that there were more books like this one.
A fun read about life in the north woods during the early 1900s. DIY projects abound, with lots of drawings.
Aside from the book, the author is fascinating in his own right.
Sharon Placko-steckel
How to survive in the woods one month at a it!
not what I expected, but good.
Scarlett Tripp
Scarlett Tripp marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Ashton Barnes
Ashton Barnes marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Tracie Runnels
Tracie Runnels marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Leanne marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Kathryn W. Milla
Kathryn W. Milla marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Ronen marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Sherylyn Asch
Sherylyn Asch marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Cecil Lawson
Cecil Lawson marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Chad marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Mingo marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Erika marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Island Within
  • The Ultimate Guide to Homesteading: An Encyclopedia of Independent Living
  • Survival Wisdom & Know How: Everything You Need to Know to Thrive in the Wilderness
  • On the Edge of Nowhere
  • Bush Craft: Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival
  • One-Woman Farm: The Seasons of Life Shared with Sheepdogs, Goats, Woodstoves, and a Feisty Fiddle
  • Tracking and the Art of Seeing: How to Read Animal Tracks and Sign
  • Wildwood Wisdom
  • Shi-shi-etko
  • The Final Frontiersman: Heimo Korth and His Family, Alone in Alaska's Arctic Wilderness
  • Walking a Literary Labryinth