Cache Lake Country: Life in the North Woods

Cache Lake Country: Life in the North Woods

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Over half a century ago, John Rowlands set out by canoe into the wilds of Canada to survey land for a timber company. After paddling alone for several days—"it was so quiet I could hear the drops from the paddle hitting the water"—he came upon "the lake of my boyhood dreams." He never left. He named the place Cache Lake because there was stored the best that the north had...more
Published September 17th 1998 by Countryman Press (first published December 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Cache Lake Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cache Lake Country

Doug Stone
Timeless classic written with great sensitivity. Belongs up there with Sand County Almanac for outdoor reading pleasure.
Lisa Kearns
I discovered this book when I was 13, and have read it no less than 10 times through the next 30 years. Mr. Rowlands was someone I would have loved to spend time with - he was down to earth, interesting, has a good sense of humor, and he lived the kind of life that everyone would love to try. I had fun trying some of his projects, like the needle on the water compass and the dewdrop magnifying glass. As a kid I would dream of living in a cabin near him, Hank and Chief Tibeash, and of canoeing on...more
Richardwallin
When John Rowlands paddled a canoe up a stream and into a small lake in the Canadian Backcountry, he suddenly felt an overwhelming sense of familairity. He then realized that he had stumbled upon the lake of his childhood dreams. This was the lake he had imagined when he and his friends camped at the farm pond as boys.

When the timber company he worked for asked him to stay and and explore the area, he built a cabin on the shores of the lake and named it Cache Lake. This book is my escape at end...more
Ookla the Mok
Jan 03, 2008 Ookla the Mok rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
My favorite book growing up - the story of life in the woods - the unique and creative way that they coped with needs, the identification with nature, and the skill in writing it all down and crafting it into an interesting story just made it for me.

This was the life I wanted growing up (and most likely why I graduated from college with a degree in Forestry) and I still like just walking in the woods and looking at the wonderful things around me. I think that this is still because of this book.

H...more
Dijon
A timeless classic. Conjures up images of a simpler time, a simpler life.
Curtis D
Easily my favorite book. I have read it every Fall for the past 35 years. The mixture of practical advice on simple things, as well as the philosophical musings on Creation and it's progress through the moon cycles is a glorious contemplation. I seldom have the time or inclination to read any book more than once, but when Fall arrives, and the days are shorter and the nights are colder, I am certain that I will reach for this book again, and again.
Robert
To be read by all outdoor lovers and those that wish times were simpler. Would also be a great read for any Dads with adventuresome kids that like to build forts and generally muck around in the woods.
Chris
A book the combines an almanc style of prose, with useful bushcrafty how-to projects. I wish that there were more books like this one.
Kristy
A fun read about life in the north woods during the early 1900s. DIY projects abound, with lots of drawings.
Robert
Aside from the book, the author is fascinating in his own right.
Sharon Placko-steckel
How to survive in the woods one month at a time...love it!
Ann
not what I expected, but good.
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
John Wheeler
John Wheeler is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2014
Red Book Buyer
Red Book Buyer is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
Barbie
Barbie added it
Jun 28, 2014
Jason Hand
Jason Hand is currently reading it
Apr 24, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Erik Becks
Erik Becks marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
David Culver
David Culver marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Eepeterson2003
Eepeterson2003 is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2014
Apwtnt
Apwtnt marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014