Start by marking “Pioneer Girl: The Story of Laura Ingalls Wilder” as Want to Read:
Pioneer Girl: The Story of Laura Ingalls Wilder

Pioneer Girl: The Story of Laura Ingalls Wilder

The pioneer spirit lives on...

Readers around the world know and love Laura, the little girl born in the Big Woods of Wisconsin and raised in covered wagons and on wide open prairies. Now Little House fans can learn more about "Half-pint" in this, the first picture book biography book of Laura Ingalls Wilder.

With a simple, glowing text by noted historian and Little House sc
Published February 2nd 2000 by HarperCollins (first published September 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Pioneer Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pioneer Girl

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonGirl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierGirl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen
Books with 'Girl' in the title
81st out of 749 books — 86 voters
The Little House Collection by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle Town on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Little House Cookbook by Barbara M. WalkerLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Little House
21st out of 100 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Nov 15, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it
My 8-year-old read this book this morning, flipped over the bean bag near the fireplace. She rarely picks up and reads any book without prodding.

Later she came to me and told me all about the book and Laura and her life. "Mom, you have to read this," she said. So I did.

And she was right.

This is a children's biography of Laura Ingalls Wilder. The illustrations are soft like those in the Little House books, but full and in color. I didn't know the Ingalls moved back to Wisconsin after Kansas and
Dec 29, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
From the 3 year old: I think Laura Ingalls is a little bit fun and that Laura likes the man that she married. I like the book a little bit and I think that Laura has a little bit of fun. Mary loves Laura so much. The book is more fun than the movies.

From the 5 year old: I like the pictures, especially the baby one, and how the author wrote the story.
Jill Wolf
Mar 26, 2016 Jill Wolf rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies
Biography #3
This book is about Laura Ingalls Wilder--the woman who wrote the Little House on the Prairie series. It starts off when she was young and tells all of the places that her and her family moved during her childhood. It also tells how she became a teacher to help pay for Mary's college for the Blind and how she got married and had a family of her own. Her two kids are mentioned and it tells the story of how her son dies soon after being born. I especially liked how the author included
Jul 26, 2015 Lauri rated it it was amazing
To be clear, this isn't the much publicized manuscript that was published last year. This is a children's biography from 1998. However, it is nicely illustrated and as I've said before for the Wilder enthusiast anything by Anderson is a must.
This is a great biography of the life of Laura Ingalls Wilder. Since we know so much about her life, having read her books, it's easy to fault the author for details left out or skimmed over. But for a picture book biography covering the entire life of someone who lived as many places and did as many things as Laura Ingalls Wilder, I think William Anderson did a great job. I also love the illustrations by Dan Andreasen. They aren't like Garth Williams' illustrations, but they still seem just rig ...more
Anna J.
Oct 16, 2013 Anna J. rated it liked it
Shelves: eng-261, biography
Pioneer Girl: The Story of Laura Ingalls Wilder by William Anderson is a biography on the life of Laura Ingalls Wilder that progresses from when she was small, telling of her adventures moving around the country with her family, to her life as a teacher and being married with a family of her own. The book then describes Laura Ingalls Wilder’s later years when she wrote her stories down and became famous. This book is a simple, easy to understand, retelling of Laura Ingalls Wilder’s life with bea ...more
Apr 04, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Picture book biography that is excellent for use in the classroom or terrific for a parent read with children at home. I'm a Lauraphile from fourth grade (way back in 1956!), and this book is a wonderful introduction to Little House books, to frontier life, for Westward Expansion, for many curriculum activities - or just for great reading time.
Jaimee Huskins
Nov 24, 2014 Jaimee Huskins rated it it was amazing
This book is a great story and a great way for children to learn about the lives and hardship of people in the pioneer life. The story is simple yet amazing. The pictures are amazing. This book also gives a little background on Laura Ingalls series of books she wrote about her life. Spectacular story very well written.
T Crockett
Sep 20, 2012 T Crockett rated it really liked it
There are a lot of books out there about Laura Ingles Wilder, but this is the best one I've seen for young readers. The pictures are lovely and the text doesn't try to gloss over the hard parts of her life.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
As a huge fan of "Little House on the Prairie" as a child, it was fun to read this picture book biography on Laura Ingalls Wilder. I wanted a little more from the text but the illustrations were lovely.

Text: 3
Illustrations: 5

Beverly Kennett
Mar 22, 2011 Beverly Kennett rated it really liked it
This book chronicles Laura's whole life from her earliest memories moving from the woods of Wisconsin to the prairies of Arkansas through her childhood, married life, moving across country several times, and detailing her inspiration to begin writing books while in her sixties.
Feb 15, 2009 Alexis rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a great book because I learned about how she made the books and the class she taught that she invited her 4th grade class over to her house and they made cookies and one of the boys said he'd rather read her books than eat cookies.
Aug 29, 2013 Shenek rated it liked it
I've been reading the Little House books to my boys and saw this and just had to know more about Laura. I think I learned the same amount reading about her on Wikipedia but this was in the style and reading level as the little house books so it seemed appropriate.
Jan 19, 2014 Connie rated it it was amazing
I love this picture book biography of Laura Ingalls Wilder by William Anderson and lovely paintings by Dan Andraesen. Perfect for introducing younger readers to the real pioneer girl behind the "Little House" books.
Brenda Lower
THis was great! Simple enough sentences, great illustrations. Goes into a little detail about her later life, but great overview of Laura!
May 19, 2010 Martha rated it really liked it
I thought the author jumped around in the story, but could be used in a unit on prairies or the frontier. I did like the illustrations and the courage displayed in the book.
Aug 01, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Not in depth (quite short), but the paintings are a treat, with movement, detail, and realism. It also might teach children to help their family, and to keep going despite hardship.
Janice rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Beth rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
William rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2014
Andrea Edmonds
Andrea Edmonds rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Cbridgette rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2014
Rob rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2015
Shannon Dunn
Shannon Dunn rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2013
Denise Bryans sherman
Denise Bryans sherman rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Lisa rated it liked it
May 26, 2013
Mary E Hebard
Mary E Hebard rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2014
Katina rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2014
Laura Boerner
Laura Boerner rated it liked it
May 18, 2013
Jun 09, 2015 ReadingWench rated it it was amazing
AR 5.1
  • A Little House Traveler: Writings from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Journeys Across America
  • I Remember Laura: Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Here We All Are (26 Fairmount Avenue, #2)
  • The World of Little House
  • Nurse, Soldier, Spy: The Story of Sarah Edmonds, a Civil War Hero
  • Dare the Wind: The Record-breaking Voyage of Eleanor Prentiss and the Flying Cloud
  • If You Traveled West In A Covered Wagon
  • Handel, Who Knew What He Liked
  • A More Perfect Union: The Story of Our Constitution
  • Sixteen Years in Sixteen Seconds: The Sammy Lee Story
  • Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs
  • What To Do About Alice?: How Alice Roosevelt Broke the Rules, Charmed the World, and Drove Her Father Teddy Crazy!
  • Good Brother, Bad Brother: The Story of Edwin Booth and John Wilkes Booth
  • The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon
  • Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo da Vinci
Also published under William T. Anderson.

William Anderson is an American author, historian and lecturer. He is a specialist in the subject of Laura Ingalls Wilder. He is a director of the Laura Ingalls Wilder Home and Museum in Mansfield, Missouri.

Anderson has written magazine articles, for publications like The Saturday Evening Post and The Christian Science Monitor and others. He has received m
More about William Anderson...