Start by marking “Girls I Know” as Want to Read:
Girls I Know

Girls I Know

In the winter of 2001, 29-year-old Walt Steadman survives a shooting in his favorite Boston café that leaves four people dead. In the aftermath, Walt forms two new relationships: one with Ginger Newton, a privileged, reckless, Harvard undergraduate who is interviewing women about their lives for a book called Girls I Know, and the other with 11-year-old Mercedes Bittles, w ...more
Published May 1st 2013 by Sixoneseven Books

To ask other readers questions about Girls I Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls I Know

Ann
Nov 08, 2016 Ann rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It's deeply tragic with complex characters that promote self-reflection. Riveting and hopeful...
Benoit Lelièvre
Jul 10, 2013 Benoit Lelièvre rated it liked it
I am not sure I liked this novel for the right reasons, but I liked it. Whenever the author let his protagonist Walt drive the story and played the observer's role to his experiences, I thought it was a genuinely touching portrait of an intellectual man shedding his intimate poetics about his own life by facing real, raw experience. I do not know of any other novels who treat this issue in such an upfront, earnest manner, yet I believe it's an issue that deserves some light.

Although, when Dougla
Sharon Bially
Jun 14, 2013 Sharon Bially rated it it was amazing
In Girls I Know, fine, literary writing meets a delightful, page-turning read! Above all, the characters are vivid and unforgettable: protagonist Walt Steadman unwittingly bares his soul on every page - especially in a breathtaking scene of "depositing" (withdrawing?) sperm as a donor. Long after finishing the book, I had an urge to take him home and nurse him through the post-traumatic stress and deep loneliness that plague him. Harvard student Ginger Newton is as quirky and loveable as she is ...more
Jael
Jul 18, 2013 Jael rated it really liked it
Sometimes it takes a tragedy to wake a person up. In Girls I Know by Douglas Trevor, 29-year-old Walt Steadman is used to routine. He gets up, puts his clothes on, takes the subway, buys a copy of the Boston Globe, and plants himself at a table in his favorite diner. He's more than just a customer of the Early Bird Cafe, he is a friend to the owners Natalie and John Bittles and a mentor to the waitress Flora. But a horrible act of violence will turn Walt's life upside down.

Read the rest of my re
Tl Wagener
Sep 28, 2013 Tl Wagener rated it it was ok
This book has been cited as a summer read -- but it's not a summer read. It's pretty dense. A book I felt myself sort of "plowing through." I was never seduced or even intrigued, really, with the characters. I kept wondering why, or rather, why not. Perhaps I was expecting something else. Which is, of course, not the book's fault.

The title is vastly misleading. It can be justified in an ironic way, but I wonder what other titles were on the list of options.
Hilary Satz
Short and to the point

I was very impressed. 5 stars because DT gave us an incredible story with many layers in just over 300 (ereader) pages.
Walt, Mercedes, Ginger, (and her parents) Flora, Ramon, The Bittles, both grandmothers, and Walt's mother were real characters for me, I got to know them quickly and loved that he didn't take long to get me there. I really appreciated knowing that Walt and Mercedes were going to be ok.
Meg
May 11, 2013 Meg rated it really liked it
One of my tests of a good book is if I find favorite lines that I'll revisit. These are sentences that jump out at me as original and memorable. This happened to me with Girls I Know. While it took me awhile to connect with Walt and Ginger, once I came to know them they were quite interesting. Teenaged Mercedes was realistic and complex. The story Arc was well done and the author went for an ending with some take away for the reader but not "Deus ex machina". I recommend this book.
Sandra Davidow
Jun 04, 2014 Sandra Davidow rated it it was amazing
Every page of this book offered a view of life, theology, sociology that made me think. It's a compelling read with well thought out and interesting characters. I cannot say enough how well written it is. I didn't love the ending, it was a little too tidy, but does not stop me from giving the 5 stars. The writing alone deserves more stars.
Ryan
Jan 19, 2014 Ryan rated it really liked it
Interesting story. I got the chance to talk with the author... and this book definitely makes you reflect on personal and social relationships and how we fit them into our "bubble." I liked it a great deal
Kathryn
Jul 27, 2013 Kathryn rated it it was ok
It was interesting because it's set in Boston, and it's kind of interesting because of the dramatic event that changes the main character's life, but in the end -- I didn't care enough for the 2 main characters. Maybe that says something about me and not the book.
Lynne Griffin
Nov 03, 2014 Lynne Griffin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
Wonderful writing, relatable characters and rich in theme and premise, Girls I Know is a pitch perfect read. I didn't want it to end. Highly recommend!
Rebecca
Dec 02, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will not hesitate to recommend it. Well-developed, sympathetic characters, an engaging story line, and complex true emotions! What's not to love?!
Penny (Literary Hoarders)
This was a really very good read. Excellent characters - Mercedes will have a hold on my heart for awhile.
Joanne
Apr 25, 2016 Joanne rated it really liked it
I loved the descriptions of Boston, and the characters and the way the Walt and Mercedes move towards a path post-trauma.
Erin
Jun 11, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
Makes you stop and look at tragedy in a way that is maybe hard to accept, but that I think is interesting and worthwhile to think about.
Roxanne
Aug 04, 2013 Roxanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Bostonians will like this book more, I suspect. I also suspect that some curious combination of Harvard, trauma, loss, and memory is part of why I cherished Trevor's narrative.
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Ava Butzu
Ava Butzu rated it liked it
May 26, 2014
Martha
Martha rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2013
Steven Beeber
Steven Beeber rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2013
Hilary Satz
Hilary Satz rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Rachael
Rachael rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Marissa
Marissa rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2014
Charlotte
Oct 22, 2014 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Best book I've read in a long time. Loved the beginning, middle, and ending!
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
May 23, 2014
Missy
Missy rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Maurice
Maurice rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2014
Nell
Nell rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2014
Jill Machol
Jill Machol rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Jennifer Taylor
Jennifer Taylor rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Clearwater
  • All This Talk of Love
  • The Hundred Hearts
  • Sanctity of Hate (Medieval Mystery, #9)
  • Under the Wire: Marie Colvin's Final Assignment
  • Blood Makes Noise
  • Seasons' End
  • Grounded
  • Evil Men
  • The Curious Feminist: Searching for Women in a New Age of Empire
  • Through These Veins
  • The Philosophy Files
  • Shadows of War: Violence, Power, and International Profiteering in the Twenty-First Century
  • How Professors Think: Inside the Curious World of Academic Judgment
  • The Man in the Empty Boat
  • The House of Wives
  • Tricks of the Trade: How to Think about Your Research While You're Doing It
  • The Wanting
Douglas Trevor is the author of the novel "Girls I Know" (SixOneSeven Books, 2013), the short story collection "The Thin Tear in the Fabric of Space" (University of Iowa Press, 2005), and "The Poetics of Melancholy in Early Modern England" (Cambridge University Press, 2004). "Thin Tear" won the 2005 Iowa Short Fiction Award and was a finalist for the 2006 Hemingway Foundation/Pen Award for First ...more
More about Douglas Trevor...