Still Dreaming: My Journey from the Barrio to Capitol Hill

Still Dreaming: My Journey from the Barrio to Capitol Hill

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A candid, savvy, inspiring, and often hilarious memoir by one of America’s most fearless political leaders.

Beloved by the immigrants and working people whose rights he has championed, eleven-term Congressman Luis Gutierrez is, among Latinos and along with Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the most recognized Hispanic public figure in America.

Here Gutierrez recounts hi...more
Published October 7th 2013 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Still Dreaming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still Dreaming

Steph  :)
For the past couple weeks I've been reading this book before bed, and needless to say I've been missing out on some serious sleep because I can't put the book down! In the beginning, the book seemed really long, but it soon picked up the pace and you can see why all the background Gutierrez gives is necessary. This book gives an interesting view on politics and campaigning, and I got a unique view on the struggles of immigrants. Gutierrez's life has had an interesting plot, but with his excellen...more
Sonja
This book was chosen by my book club this month. I normally would not have added the autobiography of a local politician who doesn't represent my district to my "to read" list. So I thought maybe I would skim it, maybe I would read a little bit but not the whole thing. But I quickly found myself drawn into the story of Luis Gutierrez's upbringing and career, and I ended up reading every word. The first part of the book covers his coming of age and early life in Chicago and Puerto Rico. The secon...more
Carol
The cover of this book, My Journey from the Barrio to Capitol Hill by Luis Gutierrez made me want to read this book. Congressman Luis Gutierrez has such an open and beckoning smile His book tells of his journey as Puerto American in Lincoln Park, Chicago to Puerto Rico and back. He is now in his eleventh term.

The book opens with a consequence of going against the political machine. His house was firebombed. His whole family could have been killed. After this dramatic opening, he swings back to w...more
Gabriel Plascencia
Tells an amazing story of hardship and accomplishment. This novel takes a semi-bumpy jump from an intriguing biography into a very political tone, which is expected by the author and as long as you anticipate the change coming, you will enjoy it.
Barbara Lovejoy
No matter what your political leanings may be, I highly recommend this book. It was hard for me to put it down. I have a much greater understanding of many things, especially immigration issues, from reading this book.
Deb
Sep 09, 2013 Deb rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves true stories/working Americans
Good true story; from Chicago to PR and back. I liked reading the details of his family life and various jobs. (cab driver to factory work) Didn't share much of family life in the last half of book. Details were about the life as a congressman.

I'm sure his parents and family are very proud of him! Overall I would purchase this book if you like reading true stories and how one never know what twists and turns can happen. If he didn't meet a man with name Washington, he might be working in social...more
Melanie Scofield
Open book launch party tomorrow at the Institute of Puerto Rican Arts & Culture at 11 a.m. Cong. Gutierrez will read live and sign books. Not your typical political policywonk book. Great storytelling. Very funny at times. A very unique life story. Highly recommended.
Michele
Aug 20, 2013 Michele marked it as to-read
Can't wait to receive this and start reading. Will update review when completed!
Rachel Slaiman
What a powerful story about not giving up and having the courage to keep on going.
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Cristina
Cristina is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2014
Kayla Almazan
Kayla Almazan marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Deb
Deb added it
Aug 10, 2014
Alex Andrasik
Alex Andrasik marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Tiffany Mathews
Tiffany Mathews marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Jkmays
Jkmays marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
César Nije
César Nije marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Elba Pérez
Elba Pérez marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Allan
Allan is currently reading it
Dec 29, 2013
Eve
Eve marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Channing Lenert
Channing Lenert marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Beatriz
Beatriz marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Leo
Leo marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Melina Nunez
Melina Nunez marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Luis Gutierrez, a member of the U.S. House of Representatives since 1993, is frequently in the news as the national leader of the movement for immigrants’ rights in America. He lives in Chicago, Illinois, with his wife Soraida.
More about Luis Gutierrez...
No he dejado de soñar. Mi largo camino del barrio a los recintos del Capitolio (Spanish Edition) The Finest Wines of Rioja & Northwest Spain. by Jesus Barquin, Luis Gutierrez, Victor de La Serna The Finest Wines of Rioja and Northwest Spain: A Regional Guide to the Best Producers and Their Wines CANTOS AQUÍ Y AHORA (POESIA)