Start by marking “Still Dreaming: My Journey from the Barrio to Capitol Hill” as Want to Read:
Still Dreaming: My Journey from the Barrio to Capitol Hill

Still Dreaming: My Journey from the Barrio to Capitol Hill

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  21 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A candid, savvy, inspiring, and often hilarious memoir by one of America’s most fearless political leaders.

Beloved by the immigrants and working people whose rights he has championed, eleven-term Congressman Luis Gutierrez is, among Latinos and along with Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the most recognized Hispanic public figure in America.

Here Gutierrez recounts hi
Published October 7th 2013 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Still Dreaming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still Dreaming

Steph  :)
Oct 11, 2013 Steph :) rated it it was amazing
For the past couple weeks I've been reading this book before bed, and needless to say I've been missing out on some serious sleep because I can't put the book down! In the beginning, the book seemed really long, but it soon picked up the pace and you can see why all the background Gutierrez gives is necessary. This book gives an interesting view on politics and campaigning, and I got a unique view on the struggles of immigrants. Gutierrez's life has had an interesting plot, but with his excellen ...more
Sonja
Feb 02, 2014 Sonja rated it liked it
This book was chosen by my book club this month. I normally would not have added the autobiography of a local politician who doesn't represent my district to my "to read" list. So I thought maybe I would skim it, maybe I would read a little bit but not the whole thing. But I quickly found myself drawn into the story of Luis Gutierrez's upbringing and career, and I ended up reading every word. The first part of the book covers his coming of age and early life in Chicago and Puerto Rico. The secon ...more
Carol
Sep 30, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
The cover of this book, My Journey from the Barrio to Capitol Hill by Luis Gutierrez made me want to read this book. Congressman Luis Gutierrez has such an open and beckoning smile His book tells of his journey as Puerto American in Lincoln Park, Chicago to Puerto Rico and back. He is now in his eleventh term.

The book opens with a consequence of going against the political machine. His house was firebombed. His whole family could have been killed. After this dramatic opening, he swings back to w
Allan
Nov 02, 2014 Allan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
What an excellent book! I was only familiar about Congressman Luis Gutierez from his appearances on Sixty Minutes. This book was an interesting read and covered varied topics such as the Puerto Rican experience in Humbolt Park Chicago, life on the island of Puerto Rico, Chicago politics, the undocumented immigration issue, and Washington politics. Congressman Gutierez details his entrance into Chicago politics, but gives little details on his entrance into Washington politics. Once there, Congre ...more
Gabriel Plascencia
Jul 09, 2014 Gabriel Plascencia rated it really liked it
Tells an amazing story of hardship and accomplishment. This novel takes a semi-bumpy jump from an intriguing biography into a very political tone, which is expected by the author and as long as you anticipate the change coming, you will enjoy it.
Barbara Lovejoy
Jan 20, 2014 Barbara Lovejoy rated it it was amazing
No matter what your political leanings may be, I highly recommend this book. It was hard for me to put it down. I have a much greater understanding of many things, especially immigration issues, from reading this book.
Deb
Sep 09, 2013 Deb rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves true stories/working Americans
Good true story; from Chicago to PR and back. I liked reading the details of his family life and various jobs. (cab driver to factory work) Didn't share much of family life in the last half of book. Details were about the life as a congressman.

I'm sure his parents and family are very proud of him! Overall I would purchase this book if you like reading true stories and how one never know what twists and turns can happen. If he didn't meet a man with name Washington, he might be working in social
Melanie Scofield
Sep 27, 2013 Melanie Scofield rated it it was amazing
Open book launch party tomorrow at the Institute of Puerto Rican Arts & Culture at 11 a.m. Cong. Gutierrez will read live and sign books. Not your typical political policywonk book. Great storytelling. Very funny at times. A very unique life story. Highly recommended.
Gabriel Plascencia
Beatriz
Mar 07, 2016 Beatriz rated it really liked it
Wonderful insight into Luis Gutierrez's life, how our government really works, and his experiences fighting for immigration reform. Totally recommend this book.
Cristina
Oct 31, 2014 Cristina rated it really liked it
I really appreciated hearing the stories from back in the day, especially within the Puerto Rican community.
Michele
Can't wait to receive this and start reading. Will update review when completed!
Rachel
Nov 06, 2013 Rachel added it
What a powerful story about not giving up and having the courage to keep on going.
Lucero
Lucero marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Rita Llinet
Rita Llinet marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Max Pohl
Max Pohl marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Henna Bagha
Henna Bagha marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Ilse Pollet
Ilse Pollet marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Ellen Simons
Ellen Simons rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Dereje Areda
Dereje Areda marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Kenneth
Kenneth marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Tselaine
Tselaine marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Pamela Desharnais
Pamela Desharnais rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2015
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Musings on Minutiae
  • What We Leave Behind - Four Generations in Cicero, Illinois (None of Them Knew Al Capone)
  • Around the Clock...Diary of a Street Cop
  • Chronic Resilience: 10 Sanity-Saving Strategies for Women Coping with the Stress of Illness
  • Good Seeds: A Menominee Indian Food Memoir
  • Real Men Wear Beige : One man's jailhouse journey through the chaotic realm of concrete and steel
  • Born Bright: A Young Girl's Journey from Nothing to Something in America
  • My Dyslexia
  • Hyper: A Personal History of ADHD
  • Uncovered: How I Left Hasidic Life and Finally Came Home
  • The Birds of Pandemonium
  • Handbook for an Unpredictable Life: How I Survived Sister Renata and My Crazy Mother, and Still Came Out Smiling (with Great Hair)
  • Arguing for Our Lives: Critical Thinking in Crisis Times
  • The Executive Functioning Workbook for Teens: Help for Unprepared, Late, and Scattered Teens
Luis Gutiérrez, a member of the U.S. House of Representatives since 1993, is frequently in the news as the national leader of the movement for immigrants’ rights in America. He lives in Chicago, Illinois, with his wife Soraida.
More about Luis Gutiérrez...