Start by marking “Still Dreaming: My Journey from the Barrio to Capitol Hill” as Want to Read:
Still Dreaming: My Journey from the Barrio to Capitol Hill

Still Dreaming: My Journey from the Barrio to Capitol Hill

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A candid, savvy, inspiring, and often hilarious memoir by one of America’s most fearless political leaders.

Beloved by the immigrants and working people whose rights he has championed, eleven-term Congressman Luis Gutierrez is, among Latinos and along with Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the most recognized Hispanic public figure in America.

Here Gutierrez recounts hi
Published October 7th 2013 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Still Dreaming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still Dreaming

Steph  :)
For the past couple weeks I've been reading this book before bed, and needless to say I've been missing out on some serious sleep because I can't put the book down! In the beginning, the book seemed really long, but it soon picked up the pace and you can see why all the background Gutierrez gives is necessary. This book gives an interesting view on politics and campaigning, and I got a unique view on the struggles of immigrants. Gutierrez's life has had an interesting plot, but with his excellen ...more
Sonja
This book was chosen by my book club this month. I normally would not have added the autobiography of a local politician who doesn't represent my district to my "to read" list. So I thought maybe I would skim it, maybe I would read a little bit but not the whole thing. But I quickly found myself drawn into the story of Luis Gutierrez's upbringing and career, and I ended up reading every word. The first part of the book covers his coming of age and early life in Chicago and Puerto Rico. The secon ...more
Carol
The cover of this book, My Journey from the Barrio to Capitol Hill by Luis Gutierrez made me want to read this book. Congressman Luis Gutierrez has such an open and beckoning smile His book tells of his journey as Puerto American in Lincoln Park, Chicago to Puerto Rico and back. He is now in his eleventh term.

The book opens with a consequence of going against the political machine. His house was firebombed. His whole family could have been killed. After this dramatic opening, he swings back to w
Allan
Nov 02, 2014 Allan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
What an excellent book! I was only familiar about Congressman Luis Gutierez from his appearances on Sixty Minutes. This book was an interesting read and covered varied topics such as the Puerto Rican experience in Humbolt Park Chicago, life on the island of Puerto Rico, Chicago politics, the undocumented immigration issue, and Washington politics. Congressman Gutierez details his entrance into Chicago politics, but gives little details on his entrance into Washington politics. Once there, Congre ...more
Gabriel Plascencia
Tells an amazing story of hardship and accomplishment. This novel takes a semi-bumpy jump from an intriguing biography into a very political tone, which is expected by the author and as long as you anticipate the change coming, you will enjoy it.
Barbara Lovejoy
No matter what your political leanings may be, I highly recommend this book. It was hard for me to put it down. I have a much greater understanding of many things, especially immigration issues, from reading this book.
Deb
Sep 09, 2013 Deb rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves true stories/working Americans
Good true story; from Chicago to PR and back. I liked reading the details of his family life and various jobs. (cab driver to factory work) Didn't share much of family life in the last half of book. Details were about the life as a congressman.

I'm sure his parents and family are very proud of him! Overall I would purchase this book if you like reading true stories and how one never know what twists and turns can happen. If he didn't meet a man with name Washington, he might be working in social
Melanie Scofield
Open book launch party tomorrow at the Institute of Puerto Rican Arts & Culture at 11 a.m. Cong. Gutierrez will read live and sign books. Not your typical political policywonk book. Great storytelling. Very funny at times. A very unique life story. Highly recommended.
Beatriz
Wonderful insight into Luis Gutierrez's life, how our government really works, and his experiences fighting for immigration reform. Totally recommend this book.
Cristina
I really appreciated hearing the stories from back in the day, especially within the Puerto Rican community.
Michele
Aug 20, 2013 Michele marked it as to-read
Can't wait to receive this and start reading. Will update review when completed!
Rachel Slaiman
What a powerful story about not giving up and having the courage to keep on going.
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Kayla Almazan
Kayla Almazan marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Deb
Deb added it
Aug 10, 2014
Alex Andrasik
Alex Andrasik marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Tiffany Mathews
Tiffany Mathews marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Jkmays
Jkmays marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
César Nije
César Nije marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Elba Pérez
Elba Pérez marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Channing Lenert
Channing Lenert marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Savvy Insomniac: A Personal Journey through Science to Better Sleep
  • Chronic Resilience: 10 Sanity-Saving Strategies for Women Coping with the Stress of Illness
  • Musings on Minutiae
  • What We Leave Behind - Four Generations in Cicero, Illinois (None of Them Knew Al Capone)
  • The Bold Investor
  • The Birds of Pandemonium
  • Hyper: A Personal History of ADHD
  • My Dyslexia
  • Oh, Beautiful: An American Family in the 20th Century
  • Tei, A Memoir of the End of War and Beginning of Peace
  • Wedding Wipeout
  • The Cost of Hope: A Memoir
  • A Dog Named Boo: How One Dog and One Woman Rescued Each Other--and the Lives They Transformed Along the Way
  • The Counter-Revolution of 1776: Slave Resistance and the Origins of the United States of America
  • The Executive Functioning Workbook for Teens: Help for Unprepared, Late, and Scattered Teens
  • Arguing for Our Lives: Critical Thinking in Crisis Times
  • Back in the Fight: The Explosive Memoir of a Special Operator Who Never Gave Up
  • Clemente!
Luis Gutierrez, a member of the U.S. House of Representatives since 1993, is frequently in the news as the national leader of the movement for immigrants’ rights in America. He lives in Chicago, Illinois, with his wife Soraida.
More about Luis Gutierrez...
No he dejado de soñar. Mi largo camino del barrio a los recintos del Capitolio (Spanish Edition) The Finest Wines of Rioja and Northwest Spain: A Regional Guide to the Best Producers and Their Wines CANTOS AQUÍ Y AHORA (POESIA)