Start by marking “Never Ending” as Want to Read:

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Shiv's best mate, her brother Declan, is dead. It's been all over the news. Consumed by grief and guilt, she agrees to become an inpatient at the Korsakoff Clinic. There she meets Mikey. Caron. The others. They share a similar torment. And there, subjected to the clinic's unconventional therapy, they must face what they can't bear to see.
Shiv is flooded with flashbacks, ni
Published March 11th 2014 by Wendy Lamb Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Never Ending, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Ending

Aditi
Brandon M. Herbert, an American author has quoted very remarkably about death in his book called Walking Wolf Road:

“Death never pierces the heart so much as when it takes someone we love; cleaving the heart they held with their passing.”

Martyn Bedford, an English author has captured our hearts over a very incredibly striking and emotionally charged novel called, Never Ending. I don't know why but I happen to fell in love with this enticing tale, I must have cried my heart out, I must have hated
Patty
By
Martyn Bedford

Key characters...and what is going down with them...

Siobhan/Shiv is trying to deal with life after the death of her brother...it is a death she feels responsible for...and so far dealing with Dec's death is just not happening. So...she is off to spend 60 days at a place where she and other teens with similar losses are going to go through rather different therapies in order to get themselves fixed.

Settings...

Much of this book is told in flashbacks in Greece...the plac
Chelsey
Over and over, as I read this book, I asked myself one question. "Am I dead inside, or is it just this book?"

Never Ending should make you have some kind of feelings. Shiv (short for Siobhan) is sixteen, and her younger brother (Declan) has died in an accident Shiv feels responsible for. Shiv, in her grief, has been acting out, smashing things, so her parents send her to a new in-patient clinic that's supposed to be revolutionary in it's care.

First, the structure. The author desperately wants to
Ashley
Rating: 1/5
(This review is written based on an ARC. Some problems may not exist in the final published version.)
***Minor spoilers***

Oh man, am I happy that this book is over. This book was just under 300 pages but the boredom made it feel like it was double the length. I found it impossible to like this book, and any time I felt like I could enjoy it, I found something else to dislike.

This book is about a girl named Shiv (Siobhan) who feels guilty for her brother's death. Except the thing is, th
rubywednesday
Well, that sucked.

I don't know where to start with just how much I disliked it.

Sometimes when I finish a book, I find myself wondering just was the point of it even existing? Books like this one and We Were Liars that are based on a mystery that is actually pretty week, lose their value once the mystery revealed. Without it, there's nothing to hook the reader. Nothing to make them care.

I'll admit, I didn't even really know what kind of book this was when I began reading. I thought it might be so
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

For more reviews, gifs, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m a little skeptical when there’s a YA book by a major publisher I’ve not heard of. Like, intellectually, I know that it’s a problem with the publisher’s marketing, but some of me really feels like the book’s not getting any attention so it’s probably terrible. That gut feeling is really hard for me to kick, and it totally had me side-eying Never Ending in my pile.
Adele Broadbent
Spoilers below....

Shiv (Siobhan) has been taken to the Korsokoff Clinic – one of only 6 patients dealing with the loss of someone close in their lives. Shiv’s parents are grieving and she is blaming herself for the death of her brother Declan. Shiv and Declan were very close, friends as well as siblings. But when they are on a family holiday in sun-drenched Greece, Shiv meets Nikos (He is gorgeous and friendly) on a snorkling tour they have taken for the day. She lets him believe she is older th
Tasha
Shiv is unable to live with her brother Declan’s death, particularly her own role in it. So she is sent to the Korsakoff Clinic where she hopes to be cured and be able to continue her life. Unable to see past her own guilt and loss, Shiv finds herself in an unusual clinic where she is first forced to focus on her brother and then forced to look directly at his death without turning away. She is joined in the clinic by several other teens who all lost people in different ways but all feel as resp ...more
Jacqueline Oestringer
Ein tolles Buch, das mich nachdenklich zurücklässt

der Autor:

Martyn Bedford war jahrelang als Journalist tätig und hat zahlreiche Kurzgeschichten in Anthologien, Magazinen und im Radio veröffentlicht. Mittlerweile unterrichtet er am Leeds Trinity University College Englisch und Kreatives Schreiben. Er selbst hat fünf Romane für Erwachsene geschrieben. ›Crash - ins falsche Leben‹ ist sein erster Thriller für ein jüngeres Publikum.

Klappentext:

Zurück ins Leben.

Shivs Leben ist vollkommen aus den Fug
Cornmaven
How do you forgive yourself for what you see as an unforgivable act? That is the premise of Bedford's novel about a teen whose brother has died as a result, indirectly, of her self-interests. The narration moves back and forth from the past to the present, as the slow reveal of what happened unfolds. Shiv is not alone in this world of self-hate and destruction; 5 other teens with seemingly similar tales are ensconced with her at a psychiatric clinic with a radical approach to treatment.

I enjoyed
Summary:
Shiv is a teenage girl that feels responsible for her brother's death. Because of this, she is wracked with guilt and unable to function. She has blackouts and can't remember some fairly destructive behavior. To deal with this, she goes to the Korsakoff Clinic. There she meets the others who are also residents of Korsakoff and goes through some radical treatments for dealing with grief. Shiv along with the residents want to be there, but sometimes the cure is more difficult than anticipa
Linsey
Rating: 4.5/5

The plot: Set in the UK with flashbacks occurring in Greece, this novel tells the story of 15 year old Shiv and the tragic unraveling of her family after the loss of her younger brother, Declan. Through a sea of pain, readers learn that her parents' marriage is in trouble, her mother depressed, her father trying to navigate the legal drama surrounding Declan's death. Furthermore, Shiv is acting out and generally unstable since she blames herself for her brother's death. The majority
Sherri
Fifteen-year-old Shiv (short for Siobhan) still blames herself for the death of her younger brother Declan that happened six months ago while her family was vacationing in Greece. Less than two years apart in age, Shiv viewed Declan as her best mate and still grieves his loss.

Instead of turning her anger on herself, she lashes outward in destructive ways, like smashing all the wine bottles in a local convenience store. Left with few choices after regular counseling sessions fail, her parents ch
Hazel
Never Ending is about a girl who loses her best friend, her brother while on vacation to Greece. Now back home she's become destructive and sent to a treatment facility. Honestly, if I were to lose my brother and he was my best friend I would probably had reacted the same way. It's hard when someone is taken from you suddenly, someone you basically spent every single day with and you couldn't imagine NOT seeing when they're suppose to be there.

The characters stood out and our main character Shiv
Jessica
Wow, I have been reading some pretty heavy books lately. After just finishing one about a girl dealing with the death of her younger sister, it only seemed fitting to read one about a girl who has to face the death of her younger brother…

Shiv doesn't know how to live anymore. After losing her brother on their family holiday, Shiv has been tormented by guilt. In order to help her get over her grief, Shiv's parents send her to a unique institution with a handful of other traumatized teens to recei
Alicia Papp
I must admit I am unsure how I felt about this book. It is so full of guilt and remorse about a tragic event, but so slow and tedious in its execution that I found it hard to care. The use of alternating chapters between the past and present just bogged the story down. I found the device disorientating and prevented me from engaging in the unfolding events. It could also have a lot to do with the fact that I am sooo past the teenage first crush thing that I found it hard to connect with Shiv's i ...more
Kim
Six teens are selected to receive treatment at the Korsakoff Institute, based on the following similarities: they've all suffered a traumatic bereavement, the trauma resulted in psychological delusion which made them a danger to themselves or others, and conventional therapies have not worked on them.

The book takes places in snips of the past and present. And it is wonderful. I really don't think I can say much to do it justice. Shiv, the main character is going through the loss of her brother.
Pam ☼Ask Me About FrankenKnee☼ Tee
Death. NEVER ENDING is about death and life, guilt and the choices people make. It's about how microscopic missteps can lead to catastrophes that carry people beyond their abilities to cope.

Martyn Beford uses two timelines to move us through this story. Shiv's (Siobhan's) first narrative is of the torturous journey through therapy. This is intertwined with the tale of her family's sun kissed vacation in Greece. The first time line made her tragedy very real to me. The second kept me chained to
Melissapalmer404
Book #102 Read in 2014
Never Ending by Martyn Bedford (YA)

Shiv is in therapy at a clinic; she is trying to recover from the death of her brother, Declan. Shiv blames herself for his death, which happened while the family was on vacation in Greece. Through flashbacks, readers begin to get the picture of Shiv's relationship with her brother and where things began to fall apart. This book bogged down a bit for me in the middle and at times I thought about putting it down unfinished, but I had to kee
Katy Noyes

I loved the author's debut, Flip, an intelligent and thoughtful body-swap story. So I wanted to see where he went next.

This is pretty dark. But it's a topic that needs to be talked about. Grief, guilt and death are topics that teenage readers may not want to read about regularly, but Bedford has captured what a teenager might go through, at the extreme when they blame themselves for a loved one's death and need help to move through the worst pain and on into life.

I haven't given this f
Matteo
Nice read. Enjoyed the insights on bereavement and the interesting type of therapy. It's about learning to live with the consequences of our actions and decisions. There is no hiding in delusions and confabulations, but accepting that what's happened is happened. No amount of grief can change that. However we can choose what to do with our life after the trauma, and keep what we have experienced inside to make us wiser and more conscious of the fragility of our lives and of the people around us. ...more
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
While it has been a while since I read a book with a similar setting, I often really enjoy books that touch upon mental illness so when I heard about this book, I knew it was one that I would quite like to read. Fortunately, upon finishing this book, I found it to be a brilliant and wonderful read that I would easily recommend to others. It is incredibly well-written and I was, quite honestly, taken aback at how invested I got into the story. My expectations for some reason were low but I was ju ...more
Once Upon
OUT's Review

Never Ending follows a teenage girl, Siobhan (Shiv for short), go through a tremendous amount of grief after her little brother passes and the role she played in his death. She is sent to stay at an exclusive treatment center that deals specifically with patients that believe they are the sole reason their loved one is dead. The story goes back and forth from present day in the treatment center to the days leading up the death of her brother Declan.

Everything from the cover of this
Amy
3.5 Stars

A solid read that kept me interested, with a likeable main character and brilliant pacing. I read Martyn Bedford's debut, FLIP, and it was a fantastic, five-star book - seriously, go read it! - so I was naturally expecting this one not to match up to FLIP's awesomeness, but I did enjoy it, and Martyn Bedford really knows how to pace a book. He slowly unravelled the mystery of how Declan died, keeping me reading when I might have abandoned the book out of boredom if it was just Shiv gett
Erin Sterling
3.5 stars. Quite different from his sci-fi bodyswapping book, Flip, this story is SAD. Alternating in before/after chapters about a girl who is going to a mental health group home after her brother's death that she feels responsible for--the before lead up to what happens and the after is her dealing with the aftermath and meeting friends. There are some middle schoolers who come asking me for sad books--I would give them this one.
Amy
Shiv and her little brother Declan are best friends and when Declan dies while their family is on vacation in Greece, Shiv can't deal with the grief and the guilt she feels about what happened. This book is written in chapters alternating between what happened on that vacation and what is happening at the Korsakoff Clinic, the facility where Shiv and 5 other teens are being treated. The author seemlessly weaves back and forth between the past and the present, telling the story of how Shiv fell i ...more
Karlan
It took me longer than usual to read this novel because it was so painful. A disturbed 15 year old girl is undergoing therapy to be able to live after a disaster in which her younger brother died. Only at the book's conclusion does the reader learn what happened and the wait to learn was agonizing. I wonder if such unusual clinics really exist.
Sandra Shannon
I enjoyed this young adult novel. The main character, 15 year old Shiv, is in a counselling facility after failing to come to terms with her younger brother's death. She totally blames herself for his death. While in care, Shiv relives the events leading up to the death of her brother, Declan.
Dawn Abron
One day I will finish a book without skipping. Today is not that day and this is not the book.
I don't know what the problem is. The characters are fine and it's written well. Maybe it's because I already read this book when it was called We Were Liars?
Isabelle
I loved the book. I can't tell why, exactly, but it was something about it that just made me keep on reading. The journey she does during the book is amazing and I'm happy that I could be a part of it. I would recommend this book!
  • The Other Way Around
  • What We Hide
  • Bruised
  • Thirty Sunsets
  • Beetle Boy
  • Vowed (The Blackhart Legacy, #2)
Flip The Houdini Girl Acts Of Revision Black Cat The Island of Lost Souls