Start by marking “Goodbye to Shy” as Want to Read:
Goodbye to Shy

Goodbye to Shy

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Say hello to new friends, new business opportunities, new love, and new confidence

Okay, so you're shy. Here are 85 proven techniques to help you conquer your shyness and change your life for good. No psychobabble. No nonsense. These tested "ShyBusters" prepare you for that upcoming party, work function, interview, date, and the rest of your life.

As someone who overcame deb
Published June 21st 2006 by McGraw-Hill (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Goodbye to Shy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodbye to Shy

Anamarija
First half of the book has some really good advices (which I will use). Second half concentrates more on love relationships, how to meet someone and how to raise your future kids not being shy. Also, I can't believe that Croatian edition came out this year. This book is old (2006) , I mean, in the field of self-help or so called psychology, 8 years is a lot and I doubt that there aren't better books to translate.

p.s. There are a lot of empty pages, design that irritates.

************
Ova knjiga je
S2ky
At first i didnt like this book, it basicly was telling you to tell people about your shyness (which goes against it) but then i read on.
Ithought this book was great! I had been suffering from social anxiety for ages now and I did'nt think it would ever go away. The thing that fixed my problem was only a short sentence, "people are only focused on themselfs", obviously there was a page written about it. You may think this is too good to be true but it's helped me. I would recomend this book to a
Selkie
For the most part, I think most self-help books are useless, but this one did have some helpful hints. Even though they may seem a bit off-the-wall, they do work.
A great book for people training for high-profile positions
Ashley
I am really not sure if this will actually help, or if shyness is actually my problem. I may just not like to talk to people. Most of the suggestions in this book seemed ridiculous and I really am sorry I picked up this book.
Cagne
Decently practical, contains a good number of advice. Based on gradual exposure method, offers non-medicated readers a program of steps, I will recommend it around to sad shy people.

I liked:
- the mental diet bit, on halting chains of negative thoughts through listening to positive/involving audio things
- the bit about shyness and it's origins, with a mention of situational shyness and social avoidance types
- the bit about emotional needyness and enhanced feelings from shy people
- the 100 questio
Cagne
Decently practical, lots of good hints. Based on a progressive exposure method, offers listeners a program of steps, I will recommend it around to sad shy people.

I liked:
- the mental diet bit, on halting chains of negative thoughts through listening to stuff
- the bit about emotional needyness and enhanced feelings from shy people
Nathan
There is a lot of trite advice, but the book also covers some basic cognitive behavioral ideas.
It would be very useful for someone who is just starting to work on their shyness.
For anxiety sufferers, I would recommend a CBT workbook in addition to it. I would recommend "Shyness and Social Anxiety Workbook" or "Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Workbook for Dummies."
Kirsten
maybe good for fourth graders, etc.... And unlike the book, I personally do think telling people I'm shy helps ! I embrace my shyness, when you tell peole you're shy they usually just get you more, and see you as less intimidating, also I think it just comes off kind of cute. Telling people I'm shy makes me feel more comfortable with my shyness.
Depoy
buku tentang 92 trik menuju kesuksesan. Leil lowndes mengajak pembacanya utk berpikir secara lebih praktis. Tips n tricks yang diberikan lebih applicable kalau dibandingkan dengan buku dg author dale carnegie yang terkenal itu (how to win friends and influenced people)i think "how-to"nya lebih ngena! (siapa tahu how-to nya bisa di franchise-kan?)
Richard Stephenson
Fun, greater narration by the author, and some useful bits. Nothing too terribly ground-breaking, but that's probably just because I've been making it too hard! lol
Noran
Really motivating, I now think if I am persistent enough I can get over my shyness even a little, I even started doing things in a different way, hope I will continue.
Sunil Jawahir
I don't think this book is for everyone but it's the only one on the topic that helped me. Re-read or listen to this every year or so for about a decade now.
Karla
Tips for those who are socially awkward, in other words everyone. Some are goofy, some are helpful. To each their own I guess.
Christine
This book was a little old and out of date. Some of the advice was corny but there were a few good tips.
Chelsea
I'm not the target audience since I'm not really shy, but there were a few helpful tips.
Idalia
Very informative and helpful if you follow the author's tips.
Iman
Chinu
Jun 09, 2011 Chinu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-to-read
i want to read
Ping Kuang
Ping Kuang marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Ginny
Ginny marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Rowelin Rebaca
Rowelin Rebaca marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Jonalyn
Jonalyn marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Mareyd
Mareyd marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
  • Get Off Your "But": How to End Self-Sabotage and Stand Up for Yourself
  • Never Good Enough: How to use Perfectionism to Your Advantage Without Letting it Ruin Your Life
  • Doing Dialectical Behavior Therapy: A Practical Guide
  • Conversationally Speaking: Tested New Ways to Increase Your Personal and Social Effectiveness
  • Why Dogs Are Better Than Cats
  • The Fine Art of Small Talk: How to Start a Conversation, Keep It Going, Build Networking Skills--and Leave a Positive Impression!
  • How to Start a Conversation and Make Friends: Revised and Updated
  • What About the Big Stuff?: Finding Strength and Moving Forward When the Stakes Are High
  • Miss Manners' Guide for the Turn-of-the-Millennium
  • Dying of Embarrassment: Help for Social Anxiety and Phobia
  • The Science of Happiness: How Our Brains Make Us Happy-and What We Can Do to Get Happier
  • Field Notes on the Compassionate Life: A Search for the Soul of Kindness
  • His Princess Bride: Love Letters from Your Prince
  • New Orleans Ghosts, Voodoo, and Vampires: Journey into Darkness
  • Me to We: Finding Meaning in a Material World
  • Don't Call That Man!: A Survival Guide to Letting Go
  • Your Perfect Right: Assertiveness and Equality in Your Life and Relationships
  • The Witch
How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships How to Make Anyone Fall in Love with You How to Instantly Connect with Anyone: 96 All-New Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships How to Be a People Magnet: Finding Friends--And Lovers--And Keeping Them for Life Undercover Sex Signals: A Guide For Guys