Start by marking “The Cure in the Code: How 20th Century Law is Undermining 21st Century Medicine” as Want to Read:
The Cure in the Code: How 20th Century Law is Undermining 21st Century Medicine

The Cure in the Code: How 20th Century Law is Undermining 21st Century Medicine

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  31 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews

Never before have two revolutions with so much potential to save and prolong human life occurred simultaneously. The converging, synergistic power of the biochemical and digital revolutions now allows us to read every letter of life’s code, create precisely targeted drugs to control it, and tailor their use to individual patients. Cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer’s and countles
Published November 12th 2013 by Basic Books

To ask other readers questions about The Cure in the Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cure in the Code

Scott Seeger
Oct 07, 2015 Scott Seeger rated it really liked it
A really interesting take on cancer. I think the strength of the author is his ignorance on the subject - and I mean that as a compliment. Whereas other cancer books are written by doctors and have a one sided approach, Mr. Huber's has more of a laymen s approach.

He talks about how the dinosaurs had cancer, how some researchers don't even call it a disease but rather a phanomon that happens as you age, like balding or wrinkly skin. Cancer is nothing more than cellular mutations that happen to be
Simcha Wood
Sep 24, 2015 Simcha Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Occasionally, I come across a book that I can't but help to classify as a must-read, whatever drawbacks it might have. This is one such book (and, fortunately, its drawbacks are minimal).

First and foremost, Peter Huber's The Cure in the Code is a damning analysis of the ability of the FDA's current regulatory system to keep up with advances in medical science. Or, as Huber so pithily puts it, germs don't "have to be smarter than our scientists anymore, just faster than our lawyers." Huber provid
Zala
Mar 29, 2015 Zala rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe 2.5 stars.
This is a pretty good general overview of the interaction between pharmaceutical companies and the regulatory environment they find themselves in (basically, what I gleaned from it, is that it's a clusterfuck of stringent FDA trial scripts and regulations that, at worst, incentivize companies to abandon their drugs), along with some history of the progression of modern medicine and interesting chemical/biological tidbits.

But, it seems that Huber is more of an academic idealist
Benjamin
If blind doctors keep treating the crowd assembled for the regulatory organs' benefit, they will lose the molecular science in the crowd. The drug won't get licensed and the disease won't get cured.
Nathan
Jan 13, 2015 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, with some good topics that are brought up. Just wish book was a little easier to read and more clearly written.
Kristin Deloach
Feb 07, 2016 Kristin Deloach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political
A VERY heady read. Took me nearly a month to complete. Full of a lot of hard science vocabulary. However, it's definitely one of my most influential books on my bookshelf.
Erica Monroe
Erica Monroe marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Michelle  Hogmire
Michelle Hogmire marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Joseph de Jonge
Joseph de Jonge marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Kevin Shah
Kevin Shah rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Colleen Evans
Colleen Evans marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Ridge Briel
Ridge Briel marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Cristina Veltri
Cristina Veltri marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Kent Williams
Kent Williams marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Zank
Zank rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Cameron
Cameron marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Vincent Li
Vincent Li marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Andris Strada
Andris Strada marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Westley
Westley marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Marc Incitti
Marc Incitti marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Bob Croft
Bob Croft rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Scott Jonas
Scott Jonas marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Claude
Claude rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Ivy
Ivy marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Joe Ro
Joe Ro marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016