Start by marking “Covenant with Hell (Medieval Mystery, #10)” as Want to Read:
Covenant with Hell  (Medieval Mystery, #10)

Covenant with Hell (Medieval Mystery #10)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In the Spring of 1277, Prioress Eleanor goes on a pilgrimage to a famous East Anglian shrine.
There are rumors that King Edward may also visit the shrine soon to seek God’s blessing for his invasion of Wales.
Lurking in this sacred place, however, is an assassin hoping to murder a king.
Soon after Prioress Eleanor and Brother Thomas arrive, a nun falls to her death from th
Published December 3rd 2013 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Covenant with Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Covenant with Hell

Judith Starkston
Priscilla Royal’s latest mystery finds Prioress Eleanor and Brother Thomas on a pilgrimage to Walsingham to mend Eleanor’s troubled soul. That Thomas’s soul is also in need of healing will go without saying for those familiar with this series. But instead of a salve for their souls, they find murder and dangers that could shake the whole kingdom.

I’m a sucker for a good story set in the past. Almost any clever plot with some lively characters can glue me to a page. But when a writer also incorpor
Susan
I'm enjoying this series more with each new outing, largely due to Prioress Eleanor. She's a wonderful lead character, wise, strong, rational, devout, compassionate, but with a wickedly dry sense of humor at times. The daughter of a baron, she is a natural leader despite her young age and diminutive stature, and woe unto those who underestimate her!

She and Brother Thomas, another member of Tyndal Priory and her sidekick in murder investigations in past adventures, have come to the Walsingham sh
Ionia
Even without having read the other books in this series, this is a great book. I loved the ambiance in this novel. The characters and plot work well together, the setting is wonderful and the author does an amazing job of transporting you to the medieval world she describes.

I was fascinated by this story line from the first few pages and looked forward to reading more as the book progressed. I love that the characters grow and change throughout the story. Lessons are learned, events unfold and
Marilyn
It is hard to find a mystery series that doesn't become a little "cookie cutter" after several books. Covenant with Hell is the tenth in the Medieval Mystery series and is anything but predictable. Priscilla Royal keeps the story fresh and the characters fresher.

Our favorite characters, Prioress Eleanor and Brother Thomas, have traveled outside Tyndal Priory on a pilgrimage to Ryehill Priory for prayer and contemplation. The accommodations aren't ideal and the hosts seem unwelcoming. Eleanor and
Kathleen
So far the best I have read in an enjoyable series, although probably sequels are supposed to do that. Prioress Eleanor and Brother Thomas continue to develop character, depth and acquire insight and self knowledge. Priscilla Royal is a fine historian and knows her period well. It is a period I appreciate as my ancestor(s) were one of Edward's household knights in Ireland.

The setting is just prior to Palm Sunday's pilgrimage to the Walsingham shrine in 1277. The times were unsettled and the prem
Pili
When I requested the ARC of this book on NetGalley I wasn't aware that it was the 10th book in a series, but once my request was approved I decided to read it as a stand alone and see how well that would work. Thankfully the book reads well enough as a stand alone, with enough information being revealed and explained about backstories of characters to understand them better.

The series follow a monk and a prioress of a special order where monks and nuns are allowed to work together and the top a
Cheryl M-M
There seemed to be less focus on the battle Brother Thomas endures with accepting his sexual orientation and feeling strong emotions for another man, despite the fact there is a new love interest in this book. That sub-plot is one that I found bold in previous books in regards to the era and felt the significance of it wandered a little into the side-lines of this book.
I wasn't overly keen on all the you will be scourged in hell for your sins, especially when it came to young women/girls. That i
Harriet
I enjoyed this mystery a lot. However I found that the sanctimonious aspect of it became excessive for me in parts. The plot was interesting and most of the characterizations were very well done in a very black or white way.
M Beal
I discovered after I started reading this that it was the tenth book in a series. It really didn't matter, I loved it anyway. Prioress Eleanor is an amazing character, she is the main reason I picked up the book in the first place. I am anxiously waiting until to pick up more of these books.
Beth
I throughly enjoyed this medieval mystery about a nun falling from a bell tower.
Ann O.
It wasn't the strongest in the series, but it hopefully set things up for an interesting next installment.
Carol
I am a true fan of this author but this book was underwhelming compared to her previous ones. Her last book was so good maybe there was no place to go higher. I will continue to follow this series and hope the next book is better in plot and development of the characters.
☯Bettie☯
Cheryl
I just love these and each one gets better and better in term of character and mystery. I wait quite impatiently for each new book.
Lori
Another enjoyable book, but the series is becoming somewhat repetitive.
Tamra LeValley
Private Review for Readerviews
Samanta Bićanić
Samanta Bićanić marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
A
A marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Francie Grice
Francie Grice marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Katy Beadle
Katy Beadle marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Linda
Linda added it
Feb 22, 2015
Lorri
Lorri is currently reading it
Feb 19, 2015
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Gloria Price
Gloria Price is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2015
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Priscilla has a degree in world literature from San Francisco State University, where she discovered the beauty of medieval literature. She is a theater fan as well as reader of history, mysteries, and fiction of lesser violence. She lives in Northern California and belongs to the California Writers Club and Sisters in Crime.
More about Priscilla Royal...

Medieval Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1)
  • Tyrant of the Mind (Medieval Mystery, #2)
  • Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3)
  • Justice for the Damned (Medieval Mystery, #4)
  • Forsaken Soul (Medieval Mystery, #5)
  • Chambers of Death (Medieval Mystery, #6)
  • Valley of Dry Bones (Medieval Mystery, #7)
  • A Killing Season (Medieval Mystery, #8)
  • Sanctity of Hate (Medieval Mystery, #9)
  • Satan's Lullaby (Medieval Mystery, #11)
Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1) Tyrant of the Mind (Medieval Mystery, #2) Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3) Justice for the Damned (Medieval Mystery, #4) Chambers of Death (Medieval Mystery, #6)