Start by marking “Spark” as Want to Read:
Spark

Spark

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  149 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Spark is a little dragon with a big problem. He can’t control his fiery breath. Even practicing doesn’t help. Will Spark ever be able to tame his flame?
The first book in an early reader series about baby magic animals, Spark is a gentle reminder that there is a perfect time for everything.
Published November 30th 2013 by Simply Read Books (first published October 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Spark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spark

Christine
Feb 23, 2016 Christine rated it liked it
Spark is a little dragon that has a problem; he does not know how to control his firey flame yet. This is a relatable concept to young children because they must experience similar tasks of potty training, riding a bike or learning how to read. Spark’s parents try give him some different activities to help him practice controlling his flame, but poor Spark just ends up burning it, sending it to flames or putting it up in smoke. This is simple story line that allows young readers to engage with t ...more
Abby Zwetzig
May 06, 2015 Abby Zwetzig rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction: I thought this book was great! This story is about a little dragon named Spark who can't control his fiery breath even with practice. Kallie George has multiple lessons incorporated with illustrations that can teach young students about patience, self control, and hard work. It teaches the kids patience because Spark has to be patient in figuring out how to control his breath and not always breathe fire. It teaches the kids self control because Spark has to learn to control is ...more
Taylor Horvat
May 03, 2015 Taylor Horvat rated it it was amazing
Personal Reaction: I absolutely loved this book for young readers by Kallie George. I really enjoyed the whimsical illustrations by Genevieve Cote. I loved this book not only because of the fantastic illustrations, but for the multiple lessons that it can teach young students about patience, self control, and hard work. This story follows a young dragon named Spark who can't control his fiery breath. He tries and tries to get it under control, but he has to be patient and keep practicing to hand ...more
Andrea Scherer
Poor Spark is a little dragon who can't control his fire-breathing. He practices and practices, but still can't quite keep it under control. Luckily, he has good parents who watch out for him (and buy him a fireproof bed and bedding). After much trial and a little bit of patience, he manages to control his flame for a big event.

This was a very cute easy reader. The illustrations are what initially drew me to this title - watercolor with pencil outlines. The illustrations are adorable, cute cute
Alexis Weber
May 09, 2015 Alexis Weber rated it it was amazing
Personal Reaction: I loved this book! I thought that the story of Spark learning how to control his fire breathing was very cute and also provided a good message for young students on self control.

Purpose(s)/Use in the classroom: I would read this book aloud in a kindergarten or first grade classroom to teach students about working hard to accomplish their goals and also to show them what self control is. I could read this book aloud to the class before a project that students might find a litt
Audrie Estrada
May 18, 2015 Audrie Estrada rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction:
I really enjoyed this cute book! It offers many lessons to be learned and that is wonderful for young children.
The pictures were also very eye catching. It teaches children self control and hard work and patience. Its about a dragon who has to learn to keep his fiery breath under control. It takes lots of practice and patience but eventually he gets it.

Purpose/Use in classroom:
This would be a wonderful read aloud to a kindergarten class since it is such basic reading but also b
Alexis
May 18, 2016 Alexis rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I thought it was better than Splash! by the same author/illustrator team, so it got 3 stars. The message seemed a bit clearer, but when learning to control his flame, more credence seems to be given to the passing of time rather than Spark's practice. I don't think that holds true in reality - when you're trying to teach kids to control their actions or learn a skill, they do need to practice, it's not just that time passes and poof they're all of a sudden better at it.
Mary Ann
Oct 05, 2014 Mary Ann rated it it was amazing
Spark wants to be able to breath fire like a big dragon, but he can't control his flame. His mama asks him to practice roasting marshmallows and he's just sure he can do it. But every time he tries, "WHOOOOSH" out comes a huge flame. He can’t control his fiery breath. Even practicing doesn’t help. I just love how his parents kept their cool (get it?!) and told him that he was still young. When he was older, he'd be able to control his flame.

Reading this aloud with a 2nd grade class, I connected
Monique
Fun picture book that could also be read as a beginner chapter book for those readers in Grades 1-2. The endearing illustrations by Genevieve Cote add a whimsical touch. Spark is a little dragon who has trouble controlling his fiery breath. Follow his tale as he learns that with time, he will eventually learn how to tame his flame when in every day situations. This is the first book in the Tiny Tales series.
Stephanie Croaning
The delightfully adorable illustrations are what first drew me to this book. This beginning chapter book has a reading level of 1.7 and will interest students in K-2.

This is a cute story about sometimes having to wait until you are a little older to be able to do things. This is a common frustration for children -- wanting to do things before their bodies or minds have developed enough so they have the ability.
Bristol Public Library System
This adorable new easy reader follows a young dragon who cannot control his fiery breath. His powerful flames cause problems all around the house, and a birthday party with all of his friends (unicorn, griffin, phoenix, and troll) is a big test to carefully light the candles. I hope there will be more stories about this character and his mythical buddies!

-Read and reviewed by Miss Mennone
Kate
Cute! Again, the illustrations really did it for me. The story was pretty good, Spark the dragon needs to learn not to breathe such large flames. Like in Splash, where Splash stops splashing by being herself, Spark learns his lesson by growing older. Sure, that's fine.
Danno
Mar 05, 2015 Danno rated it really liked it
What a fantastic story book for young children. It tells the story of spark a dragon who cannot control its flame. Instead of being ashamed for what sets it apart from others Dragon learns how useful important and unique it is everyone in and it's life. Cannot think of a better moral for all children.
Robin
Spark is a little dragon who has trouble controlling his flame. His parents assure him it will come with time . . .

Illustrations by Montreal artist Genevieve Cote are a highlight of this early reader. Such appealing illustrations and such a winsome young hero make this a great option for storytime.
Barbra
Aug 04, 2015 Barbra rated it liked it
As Spark the Dragon grows up he has a hard time controlling his flame. With the support of his parents and friends he learns to have patience. A cute story for young readers moving on to short chapter books.
Barbara
Very cute story about a dragon learning how to control his flame. It's on the easier side, 2nd graders will love it. Good thing this dragon has a fireproof pillow and bed!
Barb Keister
Feb 21, 2015 Barb Keister rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-readers
Cute early reader about Spark, the dragon who is learning how to control his flame. My 2nd graders will love this addition to our short chapter book collection!
Brindi
this is just too darn precious! love the illustrations and cute story. a perfect gift for your beginning reader...or anyone who adores dragons.
Stephanie
Aug 23, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Cute beginning reader about a dragon learning to control his flames. Teaches patience and practice... and how dragons aren't scary at all!
Jason Stalides
I like children's books about the power of a positive attitude and the importance of persevering. Plus...there be dragons...
Beverly
Jan 30, 2014 Beverly rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-beginners
I've read dragon stories where the dragon could not produce a flame, so this is a nice twist, where the baby dragon produces too much flame. Sweetly appealing watercolor illustrations.
Christine D
Jan 22, 2015 Christine D rated it it was amazing
Love Love Love this little book!!!! love the story, love the illustrations-- just totally lovable! <3
Christopher Brehm
Dec 07, 2015 Christopher Brehm rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed, childrens
Very fun, the kids love dragons and marshmallows and following Sparks efforts to learn to control his fire.
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
Spark is a small, young dragon with a mighty flame. In other words, he has problems controlling his flames. He turns marshmallows to a crisp and cracks dishes while trying to dry them. His family and friends encourage him and try to help him. This is a cute first chapter book with engaging illustrations for beginning readers.

Sharyn H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

So cute! A great choice for a kid who loves fantasy and is ready for a first chapter book.
Lynn
Dec 20, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it
Children will connect with little Spark and his attempts at controlling his behavior. Parents could use this at a child's birthday to help them learn behavior not previously controlled at younger ages.
The repetition will assist emerging readers.
Cute, cute but simple illustrations invite readers to see if Spark is going to be successful or not.
Clever decision to include the griffin, phoenix, unicorn and troll - these currently popular characters in other fantasy stories for older readers will
Rachel
Jun 30, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Review to follow soon.
babyhippoface
Little dragon Spark needs to learn to control his flame. (He tends to set things on fire.) But it's much harder than he imagined. All the marshmallows get burned to a crisp. When he tried to dry the dishes they got so hot they cracked. What will it take for Spark to breathe just enough flame to get the job done but not incinerate everything?

The cutest thing about this beginning reader is definitely Cote's illustrations of Spark. He's just the cutest. Kids ready to try a small chapter book should
Michelle Gray
Mar 15, 2014 Michelle Gray rated it really liked it
Really adorable!
Marisa
Jul 10, 2015 Marisa rated it really liked it
Cute book! I plan on sharing it with the 1st grade team at my school!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Boris on the Move (Boris #1: A Branches Book)
  • Penny and Her Marble
  • Don't Throw It to Mo!
  • Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret
  • The Big Wet Balloon: TOON Level 2
  • Frog and Fly
  • I'm a Frog! (Elephant and Piggie, #20)
  • Dragon's Extraordinary Egg
  • Hoot Owl, Master of Disguise
  • Duncan, the Story Dragon
  • Biscuit Loves the Library
  • Peggy
I’m an author, editor, and speaker living in Vancouver, BC, near the sea. When I’m not writing or editing, I’m teaching creative writing workshops.

I have my Masters of Children's Literature from the University of British Columbia.

I love picture books, fairy tales, beautiful art and music, and baking cookies.
More about Kallie George...