Start by marking “Killing a Cold One: A Woods Cop Mystery” as Want to Read:
Killing a Cold One: A Woods Cop Mystery

Killing a Cold One: A Woods Cop Mystery (Woods Cop Mysteries #9)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Every fall in northern Michigan brings a spate of dogman sightings. A radio DJ’s invention, the dogman was created as an attention-getting joke. But millions of Michiganders believe in angels and vampires, werewolves, Bigfoot . . . and the dogman. Late summer, the horribly mutilated bodies of two Native American girls are found in a tent in a remote campground in the Huro...more
Published September 3rd 2013 by Lyons Press (first published January 1st 2013)

Win a Copy of This Book

• Killing a Cold One by Joseph Heywood
    Killing a Cold One: A Woods Cop Mystery
    Release date: Sep 17, 2014
    The ninth Woods Cop Mystery, in which Grady Service, Detective for Michigan Upper Peninsula’s DNR, investigates a series of bloody deaths tied to Mich…more
    Giveaway dates: Sep 12 - Oct 12, 2014
    8 copies available, 116 people requesting
    Countries available: US
  • Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Killing a Cold One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing a Cold One

Liz Tucker
    This is the 9th book in the series, so if you've never read a "woodscop mystery" this isn't the place to start - there is history with the characters that would be lost on a reader just jumping into the series.

Annes
    I just finished reading this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had previously read one of his other books and thought that I"d read this one and recommend it to my husband. First off, if you like murder and mystery you might enjoy this book. If you're looking for a writer who is from Michigan and who seems to have been over most of the state, you might enjoy this book. If you like the DNR and the outdoors and like hearing about their work they do, you might enjoy this book.

Seriously, I would re...more
    Kimberly
    This was a Goodreads First Reads book that I won.

I also DNF'd this.

Now, what I did read was surprisingly entertaining, fast paced, and addictive, even for someone who doesn't regularly read mysteries. I found the Native American aspect fascinating, being part Native American myself (like, a very small part Native American, but still I have Native American blood). I also loved the legend of the dogman. That made it a bit more interesting, though I would've like to have the dogman and Native Ame...more
    Janet
    Sep 16, 2013 Janet rated it 2 of 5 stars
    Recommends it for: fans of C J Box's Joe Pickett, maybe
    I received this book through a GoodReads give-away.

Grab a blanket... and a spreadsheet.

I like dark & complex stories. But every character in this book (except Nerf & Cat) has a 1st name, a last name and at least one nick-name...and all are used interchangably and without consistency. And there are a lot of characters in this book. It made for some slow reading (for me), trying to figure out who the author was writing about. Normally, the various names for a single character gel for me ar...more
    Ed
    #9 in the Woods Cop series. The legendary "Dogman" is being blamed for the macabre deaths of Indians on Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The governor, reacting to bad publicity, orders Conservation Officer Grady Service to assemble a team and eliminate the problem. Grady unwillingly tackles the problem with the unlikely team of veteran poacher 'Limpy' Allerdyce and retired Detroit detectives Luticious Treebone and 'Bluesuit' Noonen. An exceptional manhunt ensues complete with entertaining description...more
    Emily
    This is my first from this series, and I was surprised to like it as much as I did. Sometimes, books lean too heavily on local flavor to the point of becoming tacky, but this book didn't have that feel. The mystery was good...I definitely didn't have the culprit pegged. I did feel like there were some unanswered questions, though, but perhaps they will be answered in the next book.
    Dustin Morley
    I enjoyed this book primarily because I've read the first three Woods Cop mysteries and because the stuff concerning legends of the Michigan woods such as the dogman are of particular interest to me. Beyond that, this is a solid mystery that takes place in the wilderness of Michigan's upper peninsula. As always with Heywood's novels, the dialogue is a strength. There were times when the dialogue had me laughing out loud. This was also a page turner - I read the whole thing over a weekend.
    Debbie Clemence
    This wasn't as good as previous books in the series. Although the story was good, it dragged out a bit and the ending was sudden/anti-climatic. I'm still shaking my head over a few missing details.
    kathleen
    I have read all of the Woods Cop mysteries (as well as a number of his other books) and often find myself getting bored with an author or the books getting formulaic, but I can't say that about Heywood's mysteries. I like books set in real locations that you can look up on the map (Jo Nesbo, Elmore Leonard, Stieg Larson, L Frank Baum (kidding) and Heywood's romps across the upper peninsula of Michigan and every-so-often excursions out of state add a reality to his stories. Haven't even talked ab...more
    Mike
    Grady Service and his friends are among my favorite characters. Service is a Michigan DNR officer. The setting is in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (da UP, eh!). Joseph Heywood continues to craft wonderful tales.
    Cynthia
    Another great story by this author with a couple new cast members
    Debbie Carnes
    Killing A Cold One was a great book, I really liked the story line, although a bit confusing in places.

The story has a lot of action, hunting the killer weather fantasy "dogman" or human. You will need to read this to find out. People still say there's a Bigfoot so you never know.
    Robert Jurva
    It's an interesting story with a twisting plot. Hard to follow at times. The various blend of characters is unique. If one is familiar with the UP of Michigan, they will appreciate the various " Yoopers".
    Neenah Lynch
    There was a lot going on but I managed follow everything. One of the best books in the series.
    Sharon
    Sharon marked it as to-read
    Oct 01, 2014
    Ruth Gordon
    Ruth Gordon marked it as to-read
    Christy Morris
    Christy Morris marked it as to-read
    Ann Trotter
    Ann Trotter marked it as to-read
    Pat Rosenberg
    Pat Rosenberg marked it as to-read
    Dr. Cole marie mckinnon
    Dr. Cole marie mckinnon marked it as to-read
    Michele
    Michele marked it as to-read
    Rebecca
    Rebecca marked it as to-read
    Cheryl
    Cheryl marked it as to-read
    Catherine
    Catherine marked it as to-read
    Tremoraid Taylor
    Tremoraid Taylor marked it as to-read
    Mary Tharp
    Mary Tharp marked it as to-read
    Ken
    Ken marked it as to-read
    Tracy Bailey
    Tracy Bailey marked it as to-read
    Sharon
    Sharon marked it as to-read
    Sep 24, 2014
    • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
    • A Cold White Sun (Constable Molly Smith #6)
    • The Broken Places (Quinn Colson, #3)
    • Buffalo Bill's Dead Now (Wind River Reservation, #16)
    • Massacre Pond (Mike Bowditch, #4)
    • Concrete Desert
    • Gone 'til November
    • Mortal Bonds (Jason Stafford, #2)
    • The Surrogate Thief  (Joe Gunther #15)
    • Tragic (Butch Karp #25)
    • Cliff Walk (Liam Mulligan, #2)
    • Paris to the Pyrenees: A Skeptic Pilgrim Walks the Way of Saint James
    • The Tavernier Stones
    • Off to the Side: A Memoir
    • Bitter Eden: A Novel
    • The Widow's Daughter: A Novel
    • Fun House: A John Ceepak Mystery (John Ceepak Mystery, #7)
    • Under the Jewelled Sky
    Joseph Heywood is the son of a career USAF officer. His dad was from Rhinecliff, New York on the Hudson River in Dutchess County, and his mother is from Mize, Mississippi in Sullivan County. His mother’s maiden name was Hegwood and she had only to change one letter to convert to her married name.

He is a 1961 graduate of Rudyard High School in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula (Chippewa County). Played f...more
    More about Joseph Heywood...
    Ice Hunter: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #1) The Berkut Blue Wolf in Green Fire: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #2) Chasing A Blond Moon: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #3) Strike Dog: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #5)