Start by marking “Killing a Cold One (Woods Cop, #9)” as Want to Read:
Killing a Cold One (Woods Cop, #9)

Killing a Cold One (Woods Cop Mysteries #9)

Every fall in northern Michigan brings a spate of dogman sightings. A radio DJ’s invention, the dogman was created as an attention-getting joke. But millions of Michiganders believe in angels and vampires, werewolves, Bigfoot . . . and the dogman. Late summer, the horribly mutilated bodies of two Native American girls are found in a tent in a remote campground in the Hur ...more
Published September 3rd 2013 by Lyons Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Killing a Cold One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing a Cold One

Janet
Aug 20, 2013 Janet rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of C J Box's Joe Pickett, maybe
I received this book through a GoodReads give-away.

Grab a blanket... and a spreadsheet.

I like dark & complex stories. But every character in this book (except Nerf & Cat) has a 1st name, a last name and at least one nick-name...and all are used interchangably and without consistency. And there are a lot of characters in this book. It made for some slow reading (for me), trying to figure out who the author was writing about. Normally, the various names for a single character gel for me ar
Liz Tucker
Mar 16, 2014 Liz Tucker rated it really liked it
This is the 9th book in the series, so if you've never read a "woodscop mystery" this isn't the place to start - there is history with the characters that would be lost on a reader just jumping into the series.

Debbie Clemence
Mar 05, 2014 Debbie Clemence rated it liked it
This wasn't as good as previous books in the series. Although the story was good, it dragged out a bit and the ending was sudden/anti-climatic. I'm still shaking my head over a few missing details.
Allan McLeod
Sep 30, 2016 Allan McLeod rated it really liked it
Interesting plot. A good read.
Kimberly
Sep 02, 2013 Kimberly rated it liked it
This was a Goodreads First Reads book that I won.

I also DNF'd this.

Now, what I did read was surprisingly entertaining, fast paced, and addictive, even for someone who doesn't regularly read mysteries. I found the Native American aspect fascinating, being part Native American myself (like, a very small part Native American, but still I have Native American blood). I also loved the legend of the dogman. That made it a bit more interesting, though I would've like to have the dogman and Native Ame
Jim
Oct 12, 2014 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, mystery
Mutilated bodies of Native Americans are being discovered in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula at an alarming rate. Who or what is killing them is not immediately apparent. There are rumors that the murders are the work of a dogman, the U.P. version of a werewolf, and there were some extraordinarily large wolf tracks found near one of the bodies…. All of this gets Michigan Conservation Officer Grady Service and his grlfriend homicide detective Tuesday Friday both actively seeking elucidation. They find ...more
Ed
Nov 18, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it
#9 in the Woods Cop series. The legendary "Dogman" is being blamed for the macabre deaths of Indians on Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The governor, reacting to bad publicity, orders Conservation Officer Grady Service to assemble a team and eliminate the problem. Grady unwillingly tackles the problem with the unlikely team of veteran poacher 'Limpy' Allerdyce and retired Detroit detectives Luticious Treebone and 'Bluesuit' Noonen. An exceptional manhunt ensues complete with entertaining description ...more
Jeannine Stewart
Mar 26, 2016 Jeannine Stewart rated it it was ok
l would actually give this book 2.5 stars. I liked it at times and was irritated at times. The main character, Grady Service, is a woods cop (game warden) in the Upper Peninsula area of Michigan, a region I know nothing about. Lots of wilderness and Indian reservations and numerous Indian tribes reside in this region. The first irritant was the names of the characters in the book...for example, the female detective and significant other of Grady Service is named Tuesday Friday. And it goes on fr ...more
Betty
Jan 09, 2016 Betty rated it liked it
There were definitely some positives about this novel. Reading about the area I live in and seeing the names & places that are part of my daily routine is cool. The plot, about a DNR officer and his policewoman girlfriend investigating a series of brutal murders, is complex and intriguing. However, the negatives are a bit glaring and made it difficult to continue reading until the plot picked up pace and smoothed the rough edges a bit. First, a good editing is called for. To refer to victims ...more
Rebecka Vigus
Feb 17, 2015 Rebecka Vigus rated it it was ok
You Can't Be Serious
Killing a Cold One: A Grady Service Mystery (Woods Cop) (Paperback)
I was given this book for Christmas. As an avid reader I look for authors I've not read. I'm also partial to Michigan authors. What a disappointment. While trying to find my way through the language, I found some of it unbelievable. No medical examiner with eight or more years of education is ever going to use "prolly" as a word. Most of the police officers in this book seem to only have a nominal education.
kathleen
Nov 05, 2013 kathleen rated it it was amazing
I have read all of the Woods Cop mysteries (as well as a number of his other books) and often find myself getting bored with an author or the books getting formulaic, but I can't say that about Heywood's mysteries. I like books set in real locations that you can look up on the map (Jo Nesbo, Elmore Leonard, Stieg Larson, L Frank Baum (kidding) and Heywood's romps across the upper peninsula of Michigan and every-so-often excursions out of state add a reality to his stories. Haven't even talked ab ...more
Beverly
Mar 04, 2016 Beverly rated it really liked it
This book was so good! I couldn't put it down! I haven't had a book do that to me in quite a while. I will also be looking for more of Joseph Heywoods books.

The setting was the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Murders started happening. Indian mythology started coming into play. Debunking myths ensued and facts started coming in bit by bit, slowly at first and then more and more pieces fit together. The author led us to the suspected killer and he fit perfectly into the picture....or did he?

Great st
Anne S
Apr 17, 2014 Anne S rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had previously read one of his other books and thought that I"d read this one and recommend it to my husband. First off, if you like murder and mystery you might enjoy this book. If you're looking for a writer who is from Michigan and who seems to have been over most of the state, you might enjoy this book. If you like the DNR and the outdoors and like hearing about their work they do, you might enjoy this book.

Seriously, I would re
Eric
Sep 13, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing
Certainly the most gruesome tale of the Woods Cop series, and, for my money, the most engaging. Heywood had touched on the concept of a windigo in previous books, but this time it takes center stage. I worked my way through 2 or 3 suspects as I read, only to find - SPOILER ALERT - that the culprit was not introduced into the story until very late in the game. Unfair. (And will Grady ever get around to letting that aged author ride with him?)
Sherri Jones
Dec 07, 2014 Sherri Jones rated it it was amazing
Let me start off by saying, I really really really don't like reading books in a series out of order. For me, this was a new author, that I have been meaning to check out. OMG, this book was amazing! Exciting, descriptive, and there were times when I was sure of things within the book. This was not as a result of writer confusion but I am sure was the authors intent. Now I hope I have the opportunity to read the rest of Joseph's books. Read this, you will not be disappointed!!!!
Dustin Morley
Sep 02, 2014 Dustin Morley rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book primarily because I've read the first three Woods Cop mysteries and because the stuff concerning legends of the Michigan woods such as the dogman are of particular interest to me. Beyond that, this is a solid mystery that takes place in the wilderness of Michigan's upper peninsula. As always with Heywood's novels, the dialogue is a strength. There were times when the dialogue had me laughing out loud. This was also a page turner - I read the whole thing over a weekend.
Emily
Apr 29, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
This is my first from this series, and I was surprised to like it as much as I did. Sometimes, books lean too heavily on local flavor to the point of becoming tacky, but this book didn't have that feel. The mystery was good...I definitely didn't have the culprit pegged. I did feel like there were some unanswered questions, though, but perhaps they will be answered in the next book.
Debbie Carnes
Aug 20, 2013 Debbie Carnes rated it it was amazing
Killing A Cold One was a great book, I really liked the story line, although a bit confusing in places.

The story has a lot of action, hunting the killer weather fantasy "dogman" or human. You will need to read this to find out. People still say there's a Bigfoot so you never know.
Dan
Oct 26, 2015 Dan rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this novel, and would likely read more by this author.

I did feel that there was too many characters, making it more difficult
to keep with the story. I did feel like there was an underling political
tone to the book, that was anti-hunting, and anti-forestry.
Robert Jurva
Dec 23, 2013 Robert Jurva rated it liked it
It's an interesting story with a twisting plot. Hard to follow at times. The various blend of characters is unique. If one is familiar with the UP of Michigan, they will appreciate the various " Yoopers".
Mike
Apr 04, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing
Grady Service and his friends are among my favorite characters. Service is a Michigan DNR officer. The setting is in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (da UP, eh!). Joseph Heywood continues to craft wonderful tales.
Rose
Dec 16, 2015 Rose rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just . . . Wow. Definitely a book I'm going to read again down the road. Wouldn't mind owning it, either. *chuckles* Dang good read IMHO.
Helen Nelson
Dec 10, 2015 Helen Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast read

Enjoyed the book. I'm a yooper and did not like the poor English. Troopers have better so each than what was portrayed.
Nancy Hansard
Dec 06, 2015 Nancy Hansard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced

Intelligent writing, for the outdoorsman, could not guess the ending, learned a lot about the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Lots of Native American folklore
Jackie kauth
Jackie kauth rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Douglas Maness
Douglas Maness rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Ed Foss
Ed Foss rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2015
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Leslie
Leslie rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2014
Cat
Cat rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Terminal Event:  A Novel
  • The Fourth Law
  • The Skeleton Box (Starvation Lake, #3)
  • Panama: A Novel
  • The Keeper of Secrets (Tobias Campion, #1)
  • Hark! (87th Precinct, #54)
  • Killing Custer (Wind River Reservation, #17)
  • A Cold White Sun (Constable Molly Smith #6)
  • The Tavernier Stones
  • The Good Cop (Carter Ross, #4)
  • Terrible Times (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #3)
  • The Deep Zone (Hallie Leland, #1)
  • Motion To Kill (Lou Mason, Mystery #1)
  • The Clover House
  • Sentinels (Sentinels, #1)
  • The Confessions of Al Capone