A Dark and Stormy Knit

A Dark and Stormy Knit (A Black Sheep Knitting Mystery #6)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Curiosity Killed the Cat

Knitting graffiti, in Plum Harbor? Maggie Messina doubts it could ever happen in her quiet village. Until the new parking meters on Main Street are found covered with cat-faced cozies. In the dark of night, the mysterious Knit Kats have struck again! The infamous gang of stitching graffiti artists are totally harmless, and their pranks all in good...more
Published January 14th 2014 by Gallery Books

JoAnne
Bunny
Sigh. Trying a different "knitting as half the plot" author, after such a disastrous run with the last ones I read.

Even though the blurb for this sounds insane, and the title is ridiculous. Hope springs eternal.
-----

Not as dreadful as Maggie Sefton's "A Knitting Mystery" series.

That's the best I can give you on this one.

The title is still ridiculous. It wasn't even stormy the night the victim died, or any of the other nights in this book, so it really is a ridiculously stupid wasted play on...more
Jessica
A while back, when I was hunting for new cozies to read, I came across Anne Canadeo's Black Sheep Knitting Mystery series (series review here), and it was just what the doctor ordered: A nice, cozy, crafty group of friends who enjoyed good meals and good company while solving mysteries along the way. In many ways, it still is, but the copy-editing problems that have plagued the series since day one have not only not been solved, I think they've gotten worse.

Recommended to people who like books w...more
Text Addict
It's not true *every* cozy mystery title is punny, is it? Just most of them, I guess.

This was another fun one; my faith in the subgenre is nearly restored. I've even been reading books instead of doing the things I'm supposed to be doing, which - after a patch of mediocre-to-unfinishable books - is actually a relief.

This 6th in the series didn't suffer at all from my only having read the first one before. The mystery is definitely tricky, the characters lively and charming, and the results gott...more
Kendra
This is about the best cozy knitting mystery I have had the pleasure to read over the years. When the opening scene features knitting graffiti artists striking the small town of Plum Harbor in opposition to the town’s decision to install unpopular parking meters, I knew I would be hooked. The murder took place off page, which I appreciate. The characters were different, quirky, likable and realistic. I fell in love with them and look forward to reading more works by Anne Canadeo. Knitters will e...more
Susan
Maggie's employee and tenant, part-time college student Phoebe, draws police attention when she discovers a body in her friend's apartment. Maggie and the Black Sheep Knitters provide support to Phoebe, especially when it seems like one of the suspects in the murder is stalking her. Talking to Maggie about the case leads Phoebe to the real killer, after the police have gone down several dead ends. Although I'm not a knitter, I follow several of these "crafty" series, and for me this one fell rat...more
Julie
review coming soon!
Anastacia
Being a big knitter, naturally I had to request a review copy of this book from netgalley. I have not read any of the previous books in this series, something I normally HATE, but was not an issue at all in this series.

I do want to admit that I am not really a fan of cozies - I just don't get the genre. I understand the need for violence off screen, but the whole genre is just too light and fluffy for me.

Of course, I keep trying to read cozies anyway, because I do like crime books/mystery books...more
Michelle (Michelle&Leslie's Book Picks)
More like 3.5/5 stars. It was slower than my previous Anne Canadeo read, a bit preachy at times and had some deux ex machina moments... Still, it kept my interest and it was great spending a few hours with the Black Sheep Knitting ladies, who were such sweethearts. Full review to come.

Full review (originally posted on MICHELLE & LESLIE'S BOOK PICKS):

When A Dark and Stormy Knit showed up at my door I was pleasantly surprised. I read only one other cozy mystery before (another Black Sheep nov...more
The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Review originally published at The Bookwyrm's Hoard.

This is the first Black Sheep Knitting Mystery I've read, but it won't be the last. As both a cozy mystery reader and a knitter, I am always delighted to find a new series that combines both, and this is one of the best I've come across in a while. Taut and well-written, the mystery kept me turning pages while the protagonists, yarn store owner Maggie and her quirky college-age assistant Phoebe, slowly became my friends. Canadeo doesn't cheat;...more
Gina
A Dark and Stormy Knit by Anne Canadeo.

A light, fluffy cozy mystery centered on a yarn shop and knitting group. An entertaining read for an afternoon or two. It's like sherbet, a palate cleanser between other, more intense genres.

not bad, story was kept at a nice-steady pace. A new character was introduced and he is in place to be the possible "love interest" of the main character, Maggie--good luck!
Josie
To quote the quote on the cover: "Friendship, knitting, murder ... create the perfect patter. Great fun."

I liked this installment of the Black Sheep Knitting Mystery Series. It had a slightly different tone, but it was still all about the friendships that were built, and how they came together and helped solve a crime AND a murder! ;)
Michelle's Book
Great read! It is definitely a cozy mystery read, but I did like the different characters. I hope to read more of her books.
NVTony
Wanted to read some new authors and this one caught my attention. Well written mystery with enjoyable characters. Just right mixture of characters with story line. Will be reading more from this author.
Mary
“A Dark and Stormy Knit” by Anne Canadeo. This is the sixth book in the Black Sheep Knitting mystery series. The Black Sheep Knitters are five friends who meet once a week to share friendship, gossip, and knitting tips in Plum Harbor, Massachusetts. Their curiosity and natural detective skills often land them in the middle of murder.
Ellen Thielen
This lighthearted tale reminded me of Debbie Macomber. The dialogue is slightly old fashioned, but it's a quick relaxing read.
Grey853
A rather silly, lightweight read, this won't strain the brain cells.
Marjorie
I enjoy this series but knitting graffiti??!! Totally zany!!
Susan
Fun read....even has yarn bombing in the plot....
Carol
Mar 19, 2014 Carol rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
A comfort read....murder mystery and a knitting group:)
Angela
Really cool to find out about the concept and practice of knitting graffiti! The mystery was a little weak--I figured it out pretty quick but the whole idea was really neat.
Denise Morse
An easy to read fluffy mystery book with a bit of an un-suspenseful story and lacking an additional subplot. I do not often read these kinds of books anymore but in the past my faves have always been one that has the mystery but there is also some personal drama and strong character interactions. This had few of those which made the easy to solve mystery so much more obvious. I am a knitter so I did like the knitting aspects being spread throughout and the links to patterns at the end of the boo...more
Joann Williams
This author always spins a cozy knitting mystery. Each one has a unique twist in the end.
I liked it better the last 1/4 book . I would read the next one . The plot was interesting .
Janet
love this series and this is the newest one hope she has more soon
Lori
Another good story about The Blacksheep Knitters, this time Phoebe is involved and comes under suspicion of murder.
Ann
This is the 6th book in Maggie's series and while a cozy, it's a little heavier and not too light hearted. I love series with themes and this knitting mystery has a good mystery and some nice knitting patterns and ideas. It's great to catch up with all the characters.
While My Pretty One Knits (A Black Sheep Knitting Mystery, #1) Knit, Purl, Die (A Black Sheep Knitting Mystery, #2) A Stitch Before Dying (A Black Sheep Knitting Mystery, #3) Till Death Do Us Purl (A Black Sheep Knitting Mystery, #4) The Silence of the Llamas