It's Probably Nothing...*: *Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love My Implants

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  6 reviews
WHAT TO DO WHEN CANCER STRIKES? As a vibrant woman in her late thirties, a mother of two, poet, artist, and teacher, Micki Myers decided to confront her diagnosis head on with the sharpest tools in her arsenal: namely, her sense of humor and unbridled poetic license.

The result is a charming, poignant, laugh-out-loud collection that hits all the highs (morphine) and lows (...more
Published October 1st 2013 by Simon & Schuster

The Cost of Hope by Amanda   BennettCancer Schmancer by Fran DrescherThe Cancer Survivors Club by Chris GeigerIt's Probably Nothing...* by Micki MyersCrazy Sexy Cancer Tips by Kris Carr
Funny Books About Cancer
4th out of 28 books — 35 voters
The Guardian of Secrets and Her Deathly Pact by Jana PetkenSeptember Again by Hunter S. JonesBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireThe Riding School by C.P. MandaraIrrepressible You by Georgina Penney
Books I'm In Love With
282nd out of 513 books — 238 voters

More lists with this book...

Peggy
So when you click on five stars it says, "It was amazing." Those aren't the words I would use unless I continued the sentence. "It was amazing that Micki Myers could write poems about having breast cancer that made me laugh out loud and want to share the poems with anyone in my vicinity." Which folks can vouch I have been doing this week. I also laughed aloud on the bus. Now I confess that I have not had breast cancer so it may seem unfair for me to find this book so funny. However, I have accom...more
Stacy
*I won an advanced uncorrected proof of this book from the Goodreads First Reads giveaway.*

It's Probably Nothing was a really good book. I loved the format of it: poems that, together, formed a memoir. Micki Myers' humor was admirable. I highly recommend this memoir. It is a quick read, and it is so honest and touching. I cannot wait to read the finished version.
Roz Warren
Light Verse. Tough Topic.

Give a clever and acerbic 40ish poet a breast cancer diagnosis and what do you get? “It’s Probably Nothing…Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love My Implants,” a harrowing yet engaging new collection of poems about breast cancer.

Micki Myers is a poet, blogger, teacher and mom, born in London but currently living and teaching in Pittsburgh. “Having survived a particularly vicious bout of breast cancer,” she writes, “I emerged with new fake boobs and a determination...more
Jo
I never thought a memoir about a cancer patient could possibly be funny, but Micki Myers proved me wrong. Her honest, down-to-earth, politically incorrect attitude toward her situation tells the world she isn’t going down without a fight. This is a good read about a hard subject. Cancer patients and those who love them will appreciate this book.
Beverly
got this book as a goodreads giveaway. This is a book of poems about surviving the whirlwind of cancer therapy and loosing your boobs. Having been thru this myself, I found these poems uplifting in spirit, especially about the weekly visits to get pumped up ( I called mine hockey pucks). I like her "Yeah, I survived it" pluck, especially from one so young.
Stephanie
Should be in every waiting room. So funny
Dianna
Everyone should take some time to read this. The memoir in poems format is beautiful.
Magdalena
Magdalena marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Phoebe
Phoebe marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Daniella
Daniella marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Vicki Dee
Vicki Dee marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Lori Rosen
Lori Rosen marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
Paris
Paris marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I am a writer originally from England who has lived and worked in the United States for 25 years. I taught poetry and literature at the University of Pittsburgh for many years before venturing into blogging.

My first book, Trigger Finger, won the Pearl Poetry Prize and considers what happens when we snap moments in time, as with a camera, a remote control, or a gun.

At age 39 I discovered I had br...more
More about Micki Myers...
Trigger Finger