The Placebo Effect

The Placebo Effect (Junction Chronicles #1)

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Decker Roberts has the dangerous gift of detecting the truth. For years this talent proved to be a lucrative sideline to his acting teaching. Only his closest friends know, and he keeps his identity secret from the companies that pay him to tell them if the people they are planning to hire are truthful. But Decker’s carefully compartmentalized life starts to fall apart. Hi...more
Published March 12th 2013 by Touchstone (first published January 1st 2012)

Jackleen
Four and a half stars

The new novel The Placebo Effect, book one of The Junction Chronicles by David Rotenberg, Canadian thriller with Canadian locations and Canadian humor, is a very thought provoking smart story in addition to being a fast paced action packed adventure crossing from one end of North America to the other. As you are aware I love reading Canadian and was happy to have won this book, a story which I very much enjoyed, from Simon and Schuster in a first reads Goodreads contest. Wit...more
Kristilyn (Reading In Winter)
FTC: I received an ARC of 'The Placebo Effect' from Simon & Schuster Canada in exchange for an honest and fair review.

Being a Canadian, I can’t say that I read a lot of books by Canadian authors, so when I come across one that has references to cities, provinces, and places I’ve actually heard of, part of me feels like the book shouldn’t be a real book because it’s too close to home, while another part of me is proud, especially when the book turns out to be skillfully written by a fellow C...more
Brittany
I won this book for free from the Goodread's First Reads giveaway.

If the website would allow, I would of rated this book a 2.75/5 (It was generally ok).

Some of the reasons I enjoyed this book are:
- The author had a great idea on a plot. I really wanted to win this book based on the summary listed on this website.
- The main character, Decker Roberts, was a likeable character. His synaesthesia gift of knowing if people were telling the truth was interesting.
- The book was mostly based in Canada...more
Evgeny
First things first: I need to mention I received this book in Goodreads giveaways.

Decker Roberts has a dangerous gift: he can reliably tell whether a person tells the truth. Despite his attempt to keep this ability secret while still making very good amount of cold hard cash from this (tax-free I suppose), he still finds himself wanted by a lot of different groups of people including NSA - these are spooky guys is both real life and this book, high-profile lawyers, and a head of a major pharmace...more
Jessica
First off: I received this book free through first reads (thanks Simon And Schuster!)

*Some spoilers ahead*

As I was lucky enough to receive this book for free, I really wanted to like it. Unfortunately I found it to be pretty mediocre.
The main thing that bothered me was all the improbable things that occurred. Its like Rotenberg was like "yes I want this plot point to happen! Hang logic!"
Things like
- That Yolles would hear a man of questionable mental health going on about ratios and think for s...more
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
For me, the highlight of this book was the detailed descriptions of Toronto, a city I live not far from. It is unusual for a Canadian city to have such prominence in a book, and it was quiet refreshing. Most people familiar with Toronto will recognize most, if not all, of the locations mentioned in the story. It gave me a quiet thrill to actually know the places mentioned.

Getting to the actual story, I found Decker's ability to be quite unique and very interesting. I have never before thought of...more
Natalie
I get stuck from time to time when I'm reading. Sometimes I can't seem to get enough romance, then I start reading paranormal and can't seem to get enough of that genre, right now I seem to be stuck with mystery, with each mystery/suspense/thriller novel they seem to keep getting better and better. David Rotenberg has a written a great novel, it captured my interest right away, from the very first chapter and I couldn't seem to put it down until I had closed the back cover.

I was provided by Sim...more
Shireen
The problem with writing a review on this ebook (I read the ePub version) is that I got the ebook a year ago, almost exactly to the day, and started it twice at least. I suppose that should be a sign that it wasn't quite good enough to hold my attention. But the interruptions were for one reason or another, and I was interrupted recently because a library ebook I put on hold last March finally became available and I had to read it before it was due. I decided not to start The Placebo Effect from...more
Abria Mattina
This book and I got off to a rough start. First it offended me, then it bored me, then the action picked up, and then it petered to an ending that managed to satisfy while still leaving enough loose ends to sustain a sequel.

What offended me almost as soon as I began reading was Rotenberg's portrayal of synaesthetes. I am a synaesthete, and it angered me that people with my condition were labeled "weird-assed wackos" and portrayed as insensible, dangerous mental patients.

Yslan Hicks, a Federal Ag...more
Alana
In compliance with FTC guidelines, I disclose that I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads!!!
( thanks Simon & Schuster Canada!)

Our MC, Decker Roberts, has the unique ability to 'see' if someone is telling him the truth. Because of this unique gift, how he acquired it, and who else has acquired similar gifts, everyone is after him. This book had so many unique characters in it, a sneaky pharmaceutical company with a dirty head honcho, a hot national service agency agent kee...more
Sue
I won a copy of "The Placebo Effect" by David Rotenberg through the Goodreads Giveaway Contest.This book was a real thriller.I was gripped by this story right from the beginning and couldn't put it down.

Decker Roberts is an actor teacher that has the ability to tell when someone's telling the truth.His best friend, Eddie sets up assignments with large corporations that are willing to pay Decker large sums of money for detecting if the people they are planning to hire are truthful.Decker maintain...more
Gef
I imagine being a human lie detector would have its perks. It would sure help figuring out who left the milk out on the kitchen counter! Sorry. Pet peeve. It'd have its drawbacks, too. I just wouldn't have put money on one of those drawbacks being NSA agents chasing you down. That's one of Decker Roberts' big problems, but it's one of many.

Decker is an acting coach, but his real gift comes from the strange ability to literally see whether people are telling the truth through visual cues when his...more
Shannon
This was my first Rosenberg book, but I am sure it won't be my last. I absolutely adore medical suspense, especially when it is as timely as The Placebo Effect. In a world where we are struggling with catastrophic prescription drug prices, this book could be an eye-opener for a lot of consumers. Beyond the practical appeal, I loved the questioning approach taken when revealing the odd abilities of the characters in the novel. The debate as to whether these abilities are biological or paranormal...more
Nicole
Well first off, I would like to thank Goodreads First Reads for an advance copy of this book.

Unfortunately I did not enjoy this book as much as I had hoped to. I thought that the concept was intriguing so I was really looking forward to it, and overall it was alright - certainly not bad - but I never got to the point where I can truly say I liked the book.

I did really like that the author is Canadian, and there were a sufficient number of Canadian and hockey references which I thoroughly enjoye...more
Yolanda Ridge
Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime)
A pretty enjoyable ride.

Decker Roberts can tell the truth — that is, he can tell when somebody else is being truthful. Of course, that makes him rather important to a lot of people, including the American NSA.

Roberts also has a talent for teaching actors — even though he isn't an actor himself. Apparently these abilities are somewhat related, but it's never really explained.

The story centers around an online community of "synaesthetes" — people whose senses are somehow intertwined, so that they...more
Heather
I won the 2nd book in the series in a Goodreads giveaway, and the publisher was kind enough to also inlcude the 1st book.

I am fairly new at reading the science fiction genre, but I am finding as long as the books don't focus too much on explaining the actual science, I am quite enjoying them. This book is more of a paranormal/special abilities type book. In someways similar to Stephen King's Firestarter. Although how/why the characters have their special abilites is not fully explained. (which...more
Andrew
“I told him, ‘It doesn’t work on people I care about or family.’”

Decker had thought at the time about telling his father about the lines in his head—how they aligned when he heard a truth—then decided against it, as he decided against telling the southern girl across the table from him.

“My father’s eyes widened then he said, ‘I want you downstairs next Thursday night.’

“I protested, ‘But you and your friends are way better pool players than—’

“‘I know,’ he said.

“‘But I’m not good enough to play wi
Lily
I love reading Canadian fiction so I was happy to win a copy of this book on goodreads. It takes place in Canada and the US and follows the adventures of Decker Roberts, a Toronto man with the gift of telling if someone is lying or not. Throughout the story many people are chasing Decker, including Islan (and NSA agent), lawyers and the CEO of a multinational drug company. Decker spends most of his time on the run trying to sort out his life.

The characters in the book are interesting (while a li...more
Irene
It took me about 7 chapters before I finally became interested in the book. The story's format jumps from one character's situation to the next. Until I learned more about the characters and how they relate to one another, I didn't feel the need to finish the book. I'm glad I stuck with the book, though. Although I can't personally relate to any of the characters, I found the characters to be interesting, once more of their backgrounds were revealed. The fast paced action was exhilirating and ke...more
Feathzzz
Not bad. It was alright.

For me the writing was fairly bland, while technically adequate it had zero creativity or prose. I heard the voice but there was nothing rememberable about it; no strength, lyric or individuality.

In contrast the story’s concept was very interesting and given the right kind of support through details. I appreciate the reality of the subtle political undertones. I really particular like this novel’s kind of content so the mediocre writing is redeemed making it a decent, ea...more
Nina
I received a free copy of this book thanks to Goodreads and Simon & Chuster.

I found the book intriguing and surprising at the same time, so I would recommend it.

Because of the excessive number of characters, it was quite hard to remember what each person did or said at first, and his/her connection to Decker Roberts. After getting familiar with the names of most of them, the story started to interest me a lot more.

My favourite part: When Roberts realized (and me as well!) the connection betw...more
Heather
I recieved this book as part of Goodreads First Reads Giveaways. I have not read a lot of books by Canadian authors, so as a Canadian I was excited to have recieved this book. It was refreshing to read about places that I've been and/or at least heard about, and the Canadian "humour" made me chuckle in spots. The plot is interesting, to say the least, and there is plenty of action and suspense. I am looking forward to reading the other books in this series, and also will read some of Rotenberg's...more
Colleen Coleman
This was a really good book! As I read the last words I said out loud "Good Story". I had won "A Murder of Crows" from Goodreads and this one was also included. I made the mistake of reading "a Murder" first so the events were out of order. Both books were hard to put down. Mr. Rotenberg is an excellent story teller and I look forward to the next book in "The Junction" to find out what is going to happen next!
Courtney
*I received a free copy of this book from Goodreads First Reads*

(3.5 stars) I enjoyed the premise of this book, but found it a bit convoluted and hard to remember how all the characters fit in to the story. I liked the slightly supernatural aspect and how everything came together in the end. This is supposed to be the start of a series, and I would be interested in reading the next one.
Marie
The Placebo Effect sounded like an interesting read so I entered the Giveaway and to my delight I was a winner! :) I enjoyed this book as my curiosity was trying to figure out what what happened to Decker Roberts. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed that one event was not fully explained guess I will have to wait for the next book to see if it is explained then. :)
Rennie
Interesting to have a class of people among us with some special capabilities who can tap into another plane. Naturally there are competing groups trying to gain control of them so they can exploit them. I will likely read the next one in the series to see what happens next but the pace will have to pick up a bit.
Everytime the story started getting compelling and interesting the author shied away from it. In my mind the real story is the boy in the ice, not the placebo ratios. I wanted more about the boy and more about Decker's family...and was disappointed.
Lorri
I read A Murder of Crows first and then came back to this one to figure out the background on the characters. Not as strong a story as Crows, but definitely read this one first if you have the choice.

I'm on the hunt for other books by this author.
Veronica Sanche
I really enjoyed this novel. I found the first three chapters confusing but the rest of the novel makes up for it. Great plot - very unusual. All the characters are strong and realistic. Well written. Can't wait for the next two books.
Chilling Thrillers: THE PLACEBO EFFECT by David Rotenberg 3 18 Aug 14, 2012 04:28PM
Book One of the Junction Chronicles 1 9 Nov 23, 2011 03:57PM
David Rotenberg has been a master acting teacher for over 20 years. He has directed on Broadway, in many major regional theatres, for television, and he has published six novels, including the Zhong Fong detective series, all of which are available at your local bookstore or online. The series is in the process of being optioned for film.

David has taught at York University, the National Theatre Sc...more
More about David Rotenberg...
Shanghai The Hua Shan Hospital Murders The Shanghai Murders The Lake Ching Murders A Murder of Crows (Junction Chronicles, #2)

“Human beings are not made to take shortcuts,... You're to live your life, moment by moment. Your life isn't here to entertain you - it's to be lived.” 2 likes