Start by marking “Letters from a Desperate Dog” as Want to Read:
Letters from a Desperate Dog

Letters from a Desperate Dog (Desperate Dog)

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  99 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Poor Emma is a pup with a problem. Her human, George, constantly misunderstands her. No matter how hard she tries to please him, it's just "Bad! Bad! Bad!" all day long. Tired of feeling unappreciated, Emma finally writes to "Dear Queenie," who, like any good canine advice columnist, suggests that Emma get off the couch and make herself useful--perhaps even find a career. ...more
Published October 16th 2006 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Letters from a Desperate Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters from a Desperate Dog

Ariel Cummins
Oct 03, 2012 Ariel Cummins rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute little story about a dog who has to write in to an advice column for advice on her human. Interesting way of thinking about how our actions are perceived by others. Plus it has a typing dog.

Strong lines and watercolor art make this book's art have a very cartoon-y look. Slightly unfinished appearance of the artwork is dynamic, but may not appeal to all kids.

Lots of words, with in-text emails and dialogues would make this hard to be a read aloud. It would probably be fun to read together, an
Bailey Scales
Letters from a Desperate Dog was quite entertaining. My parents just got a new puppy so I could easily imagine their dog writing this book. This book is different in the way it includes emails, for a dog advice columnist, as well as pictures set up like a comic book. The illustrations included lots of thought bubbles from the dog. This book could serve as tool to teach students proper email etiquette, how a newspaper column works, as well as being to relate to those that own a dog. I would read ...more
Taurean Watkins
Dec 16, 2014 Taurean Watkins rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of "Martha Speaks", dogs in general, and books with sassy heroines
Shelves: animal-fantasy
Emma is a dog with human problems.

Most of the time, life with her human, George, is great, but as every pet (and pet parent) knows, there are days when the kibble hit the fan, and Emma’s overall a good dog, she makes her share of missteps, though George’s temperamental nature doesn't help!
(He’s an artist, they can be moody sometimes…)

Emma, both heartbroken and furious, finally decides it’s time to get some help, in the form of “Dear Queenie.” Queenie's a canine advice columnist, who gives sassy
Jane
Nov 20, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it
for a booktalk-

Emily lives with George, the painter, and George's cat.

After an extremely bad morning, when George scolds Emma for
- sleeping on the new couch
- getting into the trash
Emma leaves the house and gets a copy of the local newspaper "The Weekly Bone".

(Read pages 3-9)

Will Queenie's advice help Emma get back into George's good graces. Check out "Letters from a Desperate Dog" by Eileen Christelow and find out.
Dolly
Apr 19, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, library, art, 2013
I discovered the book The Desperate Dog Writes Again in a cats & dogs book display at my local library. We read that one yesterday and discovered that there was another story featuring Emma and her family, so we immediately put that one on hold and got it right away.

This story explains some of the trouble Emma gets into when she first comes to live with George. We loved her trips to the library, getting online advice from a doggie "Dear Abby", as well as her disastrous attempts to improve h
Lauren
May 15, 2016 Lauren rated it really liked it
Funny picture book taking the epistolary format online. Instead of letters, the Desperate Dog writes emails to an advice columnist. While he find happiness with his George? How does these exchanges lead to the Desperate Dog becoming a famous actor? Great read aloud for those letter writing units.
Bree
Mar 14, 2015 Bree rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
I wasn't't a fan because it was long and I had to explain a lot of the book for an E reader level, which my daughter has just become. she says she thought the book was good, especially in the messy house part.
Molly
Jan 22, 2008 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Emma the dog lives with her human, George, and a cat. Most of the time they get along fine, but some of George's commands seem a bit unreasonable. (I mean, really, how can you stay off a brand new, comfy looking couch?) Well, one day Emma is so desperate that she e-mails Queenie with the dog advice column. Queenie's suggestions don't seem to work, so eventually Emma takes off. Of course, absence makes the heart grow fonder and George sets off to look for Emma. But with this relationship things c ...more
Rida
Jul 09, 2015 Rida rated it liked it
Aww it's such an adorable book!
Stephanie Watson
Jan 07, 2014 Stephanie Watson rated it it was amazing
This book is great for young children. This book can help realize that friendship is more important than being mad. It can also show children that it is okay to talk to others about a problem.
Jaimee
Feb 24, 2013 Jaimee rated it it was ok
A dog writes to the paper for help dealing with his owner who just doesn't understand him. He tries to follow her directions but things just keep going wrong and he doesn't understand why. This book was a good idea but I felt like the owner was little too mean to the dog. I just couldn't identify with this book but I don't own a dog so that might have been part of the problem.
Amy Carr
Feb 19, 2011 Amy Carr rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-book
I did not like anything about this book. First, this story has already been written and the first book is so much better done. Second, the story was so pointless and poorly executed that I actually felt frustrated by the time I finished. Skip this poor imitation and go check out "Dear Mrs. Larue: Letters from Obedience School" by Mark Teague.
Barbara
Feb 12, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing
I love this adorable picture book! As would any dog lover. Emma's human is driving her crazy, it's bad, bad, bad all day long, what's a dog to do? So Emma e-mails her problems to "Ask Queenie" to find out the best way to handle her human! Hilarious!
Alicia
Jun 30, 2010 Alicia rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
An all right story about a dog desperate to please his "owner" but he always messes up and seeks advice. I'm not a big fan of the advice.
Joelle Anthony
The only Christelow book I haven't liked. It seemed so mean. I read the sequel first, and enjoyed it a lot, though!
Squishy
Feb 07, 2011 Squishy rated it liked it
I like that a dog types on a computer. I like that there is a kitty too and the kitty looks soft and fluffy.
April Thompson
Nov 06, 2013 April Thompson rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. This story was frustrating to read. There were more sour feelings toward the dog than good moments.
Joanna
Aug 24, 2008 Joanna rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
In the tradition of Martha the talking dog, this dog just isn't quite as lovable.
z.diddy
Feb 07, 2011 z.diddy rated it did not like it
I think this is funny because the dog is on the computer.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Mar 15, 2013 ↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝ rated it really liked it
Shelves: y-childrens
Desperate dog asks Dear Queenie for advice.
Chris
Jun 13, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Totally hilarious.
Sara Ansted
Sep 19, 2012 Sara Ansted rated it liked it
Cute.
Ashley Gilbert
Ashley Gilbert rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Cleo
Cleo rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Shay
Shay added it
Jun 14, 2016
Elizabeth S
Elizabeth S rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Kristy
Kristy added it
Apr 15, 2016
Nora
Nora rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016