Start by marking “A Place of Refuge” as Want to Read:
A Place of Refuge

A Place of Refuge (Boardinghouse Betrothals #2)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A Hero from Her Past

If Kathleen O'Bryan were capable of trusting any man, it might be someone like Luke Patterson. She never expected to be reunited with the man that rescued her last summer. But when she arrives at Mrs. Heaton's boardinghouse, seeking refuge, it's the handsome writer who greets her at the door.

Something about the lovely Irish immigrant stirs Luke's prote
Published September 3rd 2013 by Love Inspired (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Place of Refuge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Place of Refuge

It was a delight to return to Heaton House. I loved the residents in the first book, and to find out a little more about the kind of man that Luke is was fun. I really hope to see Elizabeth and John's story (hopefully) next! I loved how Luke was so patient with Kathleen in helping her to trust men again.

Really enjoyed.
Cathy Daniel
It's not often a Love Inspired book makes me cry but this one did! In a good way! The ending bumped this from a 4 star to 5!
"A Place of Refuge" by Janet Lee Barton was a sweet and wonderful surprise for me. I usually read historical books set either in Recency time in England or set out west somewhere, and in the past usually avoided books with a setting of the big cities for the whole book. Now, however, I will be rethinking that for this book was just wonderful. This book is apparently a continuation of another book "Somewhere to Call Home" but easily able to be read as a stand alone book. I have not yet read the f ...more
Janis Kay
4.5-5 Stars

Hallmark Movie material right here!!!!! I'm not joking. It portrays the hardships of the families (particularly the women/mothers) who had immigrated here to find a better life and all they found was tenement life. I've been to the Tenement Museum, so I know what I'm talking about when I say that I've got no clue how more than 4 people lived 'comfortably' in these micro-apartments...

Anyway. I didn't cry, but if Hallmark put this on film, there's no telling what my emotional state mig
Regina Jennings
A Haven Among the Tenements of New York

The title "A Place of Refuge" beautifully describes the Heaton Boardinghouse. When Kathleen O'Bryan is abused by her brother-in-law she has nowhere else to turn. Novelist Luke Patterson helps her adjust from the hardscrabble tenement life to polite society, but Kathleen can't forget those she's left behind. Does her new life drag her away from those she loves, or can she make a difference for them, too?

This is a tender story full of inspiring characters. A
Like the perspective of tenement living & families struggling with abuse.
Rhonda Gibson
I loved this book! It was very emotional read for me. I enjoyed everything about it from Kathleen and Luke to the history of New York. A must read!
Joy Gerbode
A very enjoyable historical romance ... nice easy reading, lots of caring for other folks, lots of peeks into life in the early 20th century.
Harlequin Books
Received 4 stars @ RT Book Reviews
Miniseries: Boardinghouse Betrothals
Category: Inspirational Romance
Harlequin Historical
Miniseries: Boardinghouse Betrothals
Category: Inspirational Romance
Yuliya marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Wenona marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Carmen marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Daniela marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Ann Villanueva
Ann Villanueva marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
linda Morrison
linda Morrison marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Dana French rogers
Dana French rogers marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Jill marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Bree marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Rita marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jan 18, 2015 09:58AM

Boardinghouse Betrothals (4 books)
  • Somewhere to Call Home
  • A Home for Her Heart
  • A Daughter's Return (Boardinghouse Betrothals #4)