Start by marking “Her Favorite Rival (Mathews Sisters, #2)” as Want to Read:
Her Favorite Rival (Mathews Sisters, #2)

Her Favorite Rival (Mathews Sisters #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  483 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
A new meaning for office politics

Audrey Mathews has worked hard to get here. Now she's up for a promotion and nothing will stand in her way—including Zach Black. He's hot, smart and the competition. When they're assigned to the same project, she's shocked at how much she actually likes about him and how much she misjudged him.

Before long Audrey is seriously falling for Zac
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published September 3rd 2013 by Harlequin (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Her Favorite Rival, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Favorite Rival

Beautiful Bastard by Christina LaurenTangled by Emma ChaseThe Proposal by Katie AshleyThe Proposition by Katie AshleyBeautiful Stranger by Christina Lauren
Erotic Office Romances
127th out of 151 books — 322 voters
The Law of Attraction by N.M. SilberBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaGood in Bed by Jennifer Weiner
Humorous Stories About Relationships
191st out of 201 books — 372 voters

More lists with this book...

Jae
Simply one of the best book by SM. I loved Audrey and Zach the whole time reading, that should give you some clue.

Zach's moments:
He glanced down at his crotch. Yep, that seemed to have done the trick. Erection well and truly gone. Nothing like imminent castration via job loss to take the heat out of a man's libido.

To my lovvit shelf you go.
willaful

Like Mayberry's previous SuperRomance, The Other Side of Us, this is a romance with a modern spirit -- the characters are very career-oriented, the relationship is initially sex-based, and the happy HEA isn't about marriage and babies (though doesn't specifically exclude them, either.) I'm not always the best audience for this type of story, but Mayberry rarely fails to engage me.

Audrey and Zach both have strong reasons to be workaholics. Audrey grew up feeling inferior to her perfect sister (se
Steffi
Sep 10, 2013 Steffi rated it it was amazing
Her Favorite Rival is an all-around perfect read.

I have been a fan of Sarah Mayberry’s for a while. She writes my favorite kind of contemporary romance. It’s sweet and romantic but has just the right amount of heat. Her characters are phenomenal and so realistic; they feel like friends or family. There is always enough real conflict in her stories to keep my attention, but no artificially created drama where there shouldn’t be any. I love all of her released books but Her Favorite Rival surpas
Camille
Oct 16, 2013 Camille rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary-mf
DNF @ 86%

Like watching paint dry on a white picket fence.

Couldn't be bothered to wait for the obligatory, formulaic 90% crisis event.
Jess
Sep 01, 2013 Jess rated it really liked it
Jacob Proffitt
May 08, 2014 Jacob Proffitt rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, steamy
Another excellent Mayberry. I really liked Zach as the self-made man with an appreciation for fine things he's willing to sacrifice for. Not so charmed with Audrey. I mean, just because he turns out to not be born rich doesn't actually mean she wasn't wrong to judge him for who he is. I'm afraid I let that naked classist beginning throw me off of her for a bit.

In the end, Zach is so charming and Audrey good enough that, along with the wit and friendships, it was a very gratifying story. And I pa
Saly
I've never hidden the fact that Sarah Mayberry is one of my favourite authors, she just does emotions so well and her characters are great, flawed, hurt and yet so lovable that you root for them.

Audrey and Zach are rivals at work, Zach a recent hire but a threat to a promotion Audrey is looking for. To Audrey Zach is a rich designer-wear guy who drives an expensive car while she is the messed up teenager whose parents don't approve of her and she started right at the bottom in the company and se
Sonja
Mar 28, 2016 Sonja rated it really liked it
I don't remember the first book in this series at all, but goodreads tells me I really liked it at the time. I had this one on my to-read list for ages and now I'm wondering why I didn't read it sooner because I really enjoyed it.

Enemies to friends to lovers is SUCH a good trope and I loved how well it was executed here. I really liked Audrey and found her to be super relatable, and Zack was a delight. I enjoyed their relationship throughout the book a whole lot.

I hadn't read Mayberry in a whi
Tracy Kellies
Nov 20, 2015 Tracy Kellies rated it really liked it
Another great story by Sarah Mayberry. I love how her books seem so real and believable. I was totally captivated by this book and its intriguing characters.

Audrey and Zach are work rivals, professionally competing with each other however they both secretly admire each other, especially Zach. They both have major family issues that has left them both emotionally vulnerable and scarred. Neither of them expect them to become friends, let alone have a steamy affair. As their relationship develops a
Jane Stewart
Dec 09, 2014 Jane Stewart rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dialogue and action are summarized instead of showing details. And I did not like the audiobook narrator.

I’ve enjoyed other books by this author, but this was not good. It’s all internal pondering and telling - not showing. Examples: 1. She says “there had been rumors that...” We don’t hear the conversations of who said what in the rumors. 2. The author skipped a conversation and wrote “Jack said all the right things.” 3. The couple is together doing something or going somewhere, but instead of
Hallie
Mar 09, 2014 Hallie rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Very smart and funny - especially the dialogue between Audrey and her friend Megan - and I liked both Audrey and Zach a lot. Especially liked how realistic and terribly sad Zach's relationship with his mother was. I had an interesting conversation with Becca recently, as she'd done a bunch of research on some of the Harlequin lines, and I noticed how what was seen here - the romantic hero taking care of a needy parent/sibling - was likely to be very attractive to women readers. Well-handled here ...more
D.G.
Dec 21, 2014 D.G. rated it really liked it
Sarah Mayberry can write an “enemies to lovers” romance like nobody else. Her Favorite Rival was both sexy and emotionally satisfying with great adults characters that behave like adults. What more do you want from your romance?

Audrey and Zack have worked in the same place for a while and have rubbed each other the wrong way. When a new “layoffs-happy” CEO takes the rein of the company they both work for, they find themselves in a collision course against each other.

Audrey and Zack are workaho
Laylah
After reading hundreds of romance books, I have to confess I'm a little bit jaded. Not quite over it I would say, but it's become harder to be impressed. As all romance fans would know, they all follow a certain same formulaic structure. First meeting, adversarial interactions, conflicting attraction, sexual tension, mating, blissful period, big misunderstanding and then making up and ever after happiness. The trend now is to add some types of mystery into it, but I never find one that is satisf ...more
A. Bookzilla.
Jan 11, 2014 A. Bookzilla. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
After reading Her Favorite Temptation, I jumped straight into this one.

It's the story of Audrey (Leah's sister) and Zach Black (don't you just love that name?!)

While I found the novella to be a little too fast paced, this book dragged in the middle so much so I was actually bored. Thankfully, it didn't last for too long and it picked up again.

The blurb outright lies. Office romance wasn't so much forbidden (against company policy) as it was... They had their own hangups about it because they're
LaFleurBleue
Dec 15, 2014 LaFleurBleue rated it really liked it
Quite different book from the previous, even though some events were shared between the two, as the timeline was about the same and those events involved both sisters.
Less sweet and delightfully "old-fashioned" style for this book compared to the previous in the series, which was more settled in a business environment, where both characters met each other.
I really enjoyed the plot with an increasingly competitive work environment, 2 over-achievers trying to outsmart each other forced to work tog
Jucilene
Nov 04, 2013 Jucilene rated it liked it
Oh!... very ok! lol
I'll give three stars because I really, really, really understand Andrew Mathews.

I'm not stand the 'I'm against relationship on the office' flag, but women still have to proof twice her weight in companies if she wants a leader post.

But the love... oh, the love! It was in the middle of her career.
Katie
This dragged for me in spots, which isn't usual for me and Mayberry, but, overall, I liked it and there were several moments that gave me that wonderful Mayberry emotional punch.
Vi
Sep 01, 2013 Vi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Audrey and Zach both have painful pasts. Audrey ran away from home at the age of sixteen. Although she came back home, her parents never truly forgave her. Instead they lavished attention on her younger sister while became she became the black sheep of the family.

Zach's parents were recreational drug users. His mom became addicted to heroin after the death of his father in a motorcycle accident.

Audrey and Zach have overcome their hardships and are successful in the corporate world. They are b
Nath
Sep 05, 2013 Nath rated it really liked it
Jordan
Sep 01, 2013 Jordan rated it really liked it
Melinda
Sep 03, 2013 Melinda rated it it was amazing
Audrey was featured briefly in the novella "Her Favorite Temptation" as Leah's sister who was greatly ignored by her family. Audrey is the main character in this full length novel. She is highly driven and has worked hard for everything she has. Which is why Zach, a co-worker irritates her to no end. He drives a fancy car, wears expensive suits and appears to have things handed to easily.

To her horror Audrey and Zach are assigned to work together on an important assignment. She quickly learns th
Mireille
Feb 13, 2016 Mireille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, read-in-2016
This was a lot of fun. I liked both characters and I liked the setup a lot. (Two super competent rivals at work! Then they have sex and there's a SECRET RELATIONSHIP! Though the secret wasn't super prominent. And they did have a "to friends" between the "enemies to lovers", which means that I am still looking for a romance between actual enemies. (Though Her Best Worst Mistake by the same author was pretty damn close.) I also thought the sister relationship was very interesting, and I wanted mor ...more
Wanda
Aug 21, 2013 Wanda rated it it was amazing
Audrey and Zach are co-workers and they are both hardworking and determine to get ahead in the company where they work. There is a chance one or even both of them could be laid off, so they are working harder than ever to outdo each other. When they are both pushed into working on a join project, their friendship starts to grow and the chemistry is hot. They both do not want to start an office romance, but how can they prevent it when they have such a hot connection.

This is a fantastic story by
Grace
(view spoiler) ...more
Emma
Jul 07, 2013 Emma rated it really liked it
Yet another very good amotional story by Sarah Mayberry. It was instant love for me with the characters and their issues.
The romance was very believable, with funny and sad moments well blended together. I'm not sure the longer format of these SuperRomance did a lot of good to SM's writing. There was a lot of details about Zach and Audrey's job that I didn't really care for and mostly skipped.
Also, color me surprised, I didn't like the epilogue at all. I don't know why either. I just didn't like
Zel Polev
Nov 18, 2014 Zel Polev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romancing the Book
Oct 05, 2014 Romancing the Book rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, contemporary
Reviewed by Rachel
Book purchased for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

When I first read this book all it did was remind me of another recent book I had read. I so wanted it to be different. I’m happy to say it was different, just not in the way I expected it.

Audrey was a firecracker, as in, she was willing to stop at nothing to get the job she wanted. She’d worked hard for years, often times being compared to her sister and was finally wanting her chance to prove her elite doc
Callixta
May 27, 2014 Callixta rated it really liked it
suite de la critique: http://blue-moon.fr/spip.php?article9135

Plus besoin de présenter Sarah Mayberry et son talent exceptionnel pour la romance contemporaine. Vous pouvez pratiquement acheter ses livres les yeux fermés, ils sont tous bons ou très bons. Celui-ci ne fait pas exception reprenant un thème très exploité ces temps-ci, celui des rencontres sur le lieu de travail. Sarah Mayberry ne va pas écrire le énième roman sur la question, elle a son propre angle. Ne vous attendez donc pas à de lo
Michelle. B
This book traveled along nicely and I liked it a lot. All the usual important things were in there - great characters, some very nice tension, and oodles of romance. Then, towards the end, Sarah pulled out the big guns and I was crying over some very emotional moments, proving, once again, that Mayberry is the Queen when it comes to writing romance. There you go. I've said it. If you're not trying to get your hands on every Mayberry book out there, well, you should be!
Marita
Jun 03, 2014 Marita rated it it was amazing
Loved this one!

Loved how her relationship with Zach developed. Loved that he dealt with her mistaken assumptions about him head on, instead of letting them fester. Loved that her sister reached out to her and helped her see she should have expected more love and understanding from her family. LOVED that she got the job in the end to her disbelief, and how sweet Zach was about it :) LOOOOOVVVVEEEDDD that they didn't let any BM happen and that she immediately stormed back in after storming out to
  • A Prior Engagement (Special Forces, #4)
  • The Winning Season (Feeling the Heat, #2)
  • Housebound
  • Back to the Good Fortune Diner
  • In Her Defense (Time Served #2)
  • Worth the Trip
  • A Lesson in Temptation (Stanton Family, #4)
  • Picture Perfect Wedding (Wedding Fever, #2)
  • An Invitation to Sin (Sicily's Corretti Dynasty, #2)
  • Something to Talk About (Plum Orchard, #2)
  • Trust In Me (Rancho Del Cielo, #5)
  • An Act of Persuasion (Tyler Group, #2)
  • Personal Assets (Texas Nights, #1)
  • Never Stay Past Midnight
  • What the Bride Didn't Know (The Wests, #3)
  • Whose Bed Is It Anyway?
  • How to Get Over Your Ex (Valentine's Day Survival Guide duet)
  • The Sheriff's Daughter
19909
Sarah Mayberry was born in Melbourne, Australia, and is the middle of three children. From the time that she first “stole” paper from kindergarten and stapled it together to make “books,” Sarah has always wanted to be a writer. In line with this ambition, on graduation from high school she completed a bachelor of arts degree majoring in professional writing, then sat down to write a book. When ins ...more
More about Sarah Mayberry...

Mathews Sisters (2 books)
  • Her Favorite Temptation (Mathews Sisters, #1)