Start by marking “If You Can't Stand the Heat...” as Want to Read:
If You Can't Stand the Heat...

If You Can't Stand the Heat...

Resisting temptation has never been so impossible…

Living on the edge used to make wild-card war reporter Jack Chapman feel alive. These days he needs some time-out before he burns out. So what better distraction than delectable pastry chef Ellie Evans? She's oh-so-tempting…and sleeping right next door! Perfect for a short-term fling!

Ellie knows it would be beyond stupid
Published August 20th 2013 by Harlequin KISS (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about If You Can't Stand the Heat..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Can't Stand the Heat...

Desere
Apr 26, 2013 Desere rated it it was amazing
All of us face difficulties in our relationships with our parents, very few are lucky enough to have the 'perfect parents'. For those of us that need to make due with each and every situation that does arise when it comes to our parents there is always a message of lean on your friends, in them you will find the courage you need to stand up and make yourself heard, tell your parents to back off or simply to let you go and give you the chance to spread your wings.

But when you instead keep it bott
Inge Saunders
Aug 01, 2013 Inge Saunders rated it really liked it
This is the second book of Joss`s I`ve read and she delivers! One thing I`ve noticed off the bat is that it`s going to be ultra easy to recognise a Joss Wood book when you have it in your hands.

This time around there isn`t a strong independent heroine who`s secure in who she is but Ellie Evans who still walks around with the shadow of a plump awkward teenager who stood in the shade of a famous war reporter for a father. Throw in gorgeous war reporter Jack Chapman and you have a recipe for daddy-
Suzanne
Enjoyed the South African setting. Felt like I was on vacation as I read. Also, enjoyed the well developed war correspondent hero, the mixed cultural milieu, psychological depth, and the sweet romance.
Nas Dean
Sep 18, 2013 Nas Dean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT by Joss Wood is a new imprint from Harlequin series-Harlequin Kiss release.

Ellie makes cakes. She has a cake shop and roots in her small town. Then she meet world famous war reporter, Jack.

Jack goes where the action is. Will he be satisfied in a small town? Could he share his transplanted heart with Ellie?

IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT is a lively contemporary romance with a sexy, gorgeous hero you will swoon over and a strong heroine whom you’d love. Author Joss Woo
Maria
Oct 04, 2013 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is the first book I've read by author Joss Wood and it's a beautifully written, fresh story set in a beautiful country between two attractive main characters.

I loved the heroine Ellie, a young woman with an exotic mixture of parentage - both Irish and Indian. Just like my own children. The hero, Jack, is a war correspondent who travels to the trouble spots of the world and has commitment phobia.This is definitely not the first time I've read a war correspondent romance novel. But this autho
Leigh Hann
Jul 30, 2013 Leigh Hann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Firstly I have to mention that I’m quite difficult to please when it comes to reading. Recognize the saying ‘Don’t judge a book by its cover?’
Well, unfortunately I do sometimes judge the book by its cover when selecting my next read. If I’m not satisfied with the synopsis, I look at the cover and try to get a ‘feel’ for the story.
The setting was described picture perfect. Ellie is a beautiful, sexy young woman who is successful, but she is insecure in every aspect of her life, even with her loo
Lynne
Sep 13, 2013 Lynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is AGES since I read a Mills and Boon and I really enjoyed this one. Its an easy read with lovely characters that I completely engaged with. Ellie Evans runs a cake shop and delicatessen and Jack Chapman, war reporter, ends up on her doorstep needing a bit of TLC. But who needs the most help? Set in Cape Town, this sweet romance is well worth buying.
Megan Hodgson
Sep 23, 2013 Megan Hodgson rated it liked it
I know… I know… I’m reading a lot of these little suckers lately. They’re just so simple and easy and there is such a low commitment to them. They’re great for during school when I read heavy legal papers all day and just need to read for the sake of reading.

This book wasn’t as awesome as the last two, in my opinion. The girl had daddy issues and the guy didn’t want to be tied down to one spot.

My oh my, I’ve never heard that one before.

I appreciated how there was a second storyline going along
Kim-Anh
Sep 02, 2013 Kim-Anh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received my copy through Goodreads First Reads.

Ellie is a baker and makes really yummy cakes. =P She feels that she has never been loved by a man before.

Her dad is a war reporter and from an early age, he always put his job before her therefore, there is really no relationship between them but one day, he sends a good-looking war reporter Jack Chapman at her doorstep and asks her if she could let Jack stay for a bit.

Jack is not the type of guy that Ellie would date. He is a war reporter and fr
Yolande
Jul 27, 2013 Yolande rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
What a sweet and sexy romance!

Miss Wood succeeds in drawing the reader into the story from the first page and keep you engaged until the last.This book is well-written, compassionate, sexy and heartbreaking at the same time.The setting is so cleverly interwoven into the plot of the book, that the reader feels transported to the coastal town.

Ellie is easy to love and identify with while Jack, well what can I say. Handsome, strong, sexy and above all vulnerable with his own demons keeping him fr
Kathy
Aug 18, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karen
Oct 02, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review Posted on HarlequinJunkie.com

Ellie Evans grew up knowing what it’s like to be missing a parent. Her father, Mitchell Evans is a famous field reporter – and he never put anything above his career. Unfortunately, that doesn’t stop her from getting engaged to a man who seems different, but really isn’t. You’d think she’d have learned...Read More
Charlotte
Hm. I tried really hard to like this - I managed to overlook the stilted dialogue and endless repetition of how attractive they found one another. I even overlooked the frequent point of view changes - it literally switched mid paragraph at one point. Despite the slightly poor writing I was still enjoying it up until the ending where I was forced to endure some seriously corny conversations, and the longest, sappiest inner monologue I've ever experienced. Bit of a let down overall.
Mills & Boon
Aug 19, 2013 Mills & Boon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-tempted
We love Joss Wood so much! Her heroes are always daring and dramatic, and Jack Chapman is no exception! A must-read, the perfect way to kick-off our new Modern Tempted series, we hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Robyn Rychards
Sep 24, 2013 Robyn Rychards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from Joss Wood. Joss takes two characters who are so wrong for each other and what seems to be an insurmountable issue is resolved for a great happy ever after. Highly recommend this fun book!
Nath
Aug 04, 2013 Nath rated it really liked it
4/5 (B)
Aug 10, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved the book . great story line
Cait
Sep 07, 2013 Cait rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good.
Harlequin Books
Received 4 stars @ RT Book Reviews
Amy
Sep 01, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. The hero irritated me a couple of times but other than that it was very good.
sarah foster
Great romance story. Loved jack chapman and ellie i enjoyed the way
they both had there little problems but worked with eachover well
lovely story
Amanda
Aug 21, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-romance
Fun romance, interesting characters. HEA.
Charlene Groome
Sep 26, 2013 Charlene Groome rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I would read another Joss Wood book!
Matthew Morgan
Aug 16, 2013 Matthew Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read
Really relaxing read, thoroughly enjoyed it!

Thanks for giving me the chance to win your book!
Tanu Gill
Nov 04, 2015 Tanu Gill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suze
Aug 16, 2013 Suze rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suze by: Goodreads First Read win
A Goodreads First Reads win book.
As far as I know, a new author to me and I enjoyed her writing. This is another in the M&B Modern Tempted range, and those I've read have the same fresh writing style, good modern language, and so far not too many multi-billionaires! (cause we all run into them all the time, not!).
It was a M&B romance - Ellie is the typical female lead - dedicated to obsession about the bakery, left to struggle (wo)manfully on when her two partners take time for themselve
Kate
Oct 17, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly I’d like to thank the publishers for sending me this book to read and give an honest review. Modern Tempted (previously known as RIVA) is a fabulous new series from Mills & Boon, these books are fun, flirty, sexy and romantic but with a contemporary edge. I loved the sound of them all and couldn’t wait to dive in.

I quickly became absorbed by If You Can’t Stand the Heat…, Ellie’s business was under threat when suddenly the gorgeous Jack was thrown into her life and things got even mor
Kat  Snark
Mar 30, 2014 Kat Snark rated it did not like it
Shelves: found-online
Not impressed.
Good storyline, but could have been so much better

Ellie had a father who was not really a "father" but was a constant (yet irregular) part of her life & .... nothing happened.
Her dad was at the (view spoiler) but if I were her, I wouldn't want him there. He was never there for her.

With ... what's his face, he had a past, best friend died, but the guilt he harbored over it was-I thought- unnecessary & weak & the way he comes "out" wit
June
Jun 18, 2014 June rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Ellie is running the bakery a few employees short. Her friend is on maternity leave and her mother is on a one year vacation. Suddenly the location is being sold and she's got 6 months to relocate while keeping above water. As if that isn't enough, her war correspondent father drops a visitor in her lap.

Jack has just gotten his ass kicked by the people he was reporting on. Beaten, wallet emptied out and dumped in a cargo plane headed out of their country, he's not in any shape to be on his own.
Cassandra O'Leary
Jan 18, 2014 Cassandra O'Leary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, from the idyllic setting near the coast in South Africa to the lovely and artistic heroine Ellie and hot, hard-edged war reporter Jack. The characters have an instant attraction but Jack's fly-around-the-world-at-a-moment's-notice lifestyle and Ellie's lack of confidence in men cause some drama. I don't agree with some other reviewers that Ellie is a bit of a wishy-washy character. She's just had her confidence shaken by a couple of lousy men, but she's getting on wit ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Taming of a Wild Child (LaBlanc Sisters #2)
  • Whose Bed Is It Anyway?
  • Backstage with Her Ex
  • My Boyfriend and Other Enemies
  • Why Resist a Rebel?
  • The Rebound Guy
  • Her Deal with the Devil
  • Driving Her Crazy
  • Her Man in Manhattan (Brannigan, #3)
  • Secrets & Saris
  • All Bets Are On
  • First Time for Everything
  • What the Bride Didn't Know (The Wests, #3)
  • One More Sleepless Night
  • Must Like Kids
  • Anything but Vanilla...
  • Hitched!