Start by marking “A Timely Curse” as Want to Read:
A Timely Curse

A Timely Curse

For William Danver, High School was a breeze, academically that is. Although he wasn't popular, at all, his real problem was at home.

His father Gary Danver was an abusive, sadistic man, who also happened to be the sheriff in their small town. Unable to get any help from the authorities, William vowed to protect his mother and little sister by any means necessary.

His wish t
Published March 7th 2013

To ask other readers questions about A Timely Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Timely Curse

Switched by Amanda HockingMy Blood Approves by Amanda HockingAngelfall by Susan EeThe Darkest Frost, Vol. 1 by Tanya HolmesFalling From Grace by S.L. Naeole
Indie Books - Paranormal Fiction
11th out of 2,469 books — 3,220 voters
Accidental Leigh by Melanie  JamesNobody's Perfect by Kallypso MastersNobody's Hero by Kallypso MastersThe Darkest Frost, Vol. 1 by Tanya HolmesRussian Roulette by A.B. McKinley
Indie Authors to Watch
174th out of 5,100 books — 5,246 voters

More lists with this book...

Britt Riley
Feb 12, 2014 Britt Riley rated it it was amazing
Suspenseful!

This is a great book from beginning to end! I was on the edge of my seat throughout the whole book, just waiting to see what would happen next. I wish the relationship between William and Rebecca would have had a little more time to grow. All in all a great book for those who like the paranormal.
Vicki Rose Stewart
Mar 10, 2013 Vicki Rose Stewart rated it really liked it
Please note: This is a novella, not a full sized novel, so I'll keep the outline light, so as not to give away too many elements of the story..
This is a solid debut novella by Author Joseph DiBartolo. The writing is well-thought out and the elements & visuals are realistic and well-described.
Mr. DiBartolo pulls us into his world by introducing us to William, a physically abused teen, stuck in his own personal hell as his father Gary, a local police officer & the true nightmare in his wor
Inion Mathair
Mar 23, 2013 Inion Mathair rated it really liked it
Joseph DiBartolo has brought us back to the era of Universal monsters, when werewolves were bloodthirsty creatures that were feared. As true horror purists, we've felt that there's been a real lack of "old school paranormal" in literature and it seems Joseph DiBartolo has answered our call. William Danver is a refreshing hero that stands out in this current assembly line of main characters in literature. A nerdy underdog with an abusive father, William gets the oppurtunity of a lifetime when he ...more
Zachary at The Eyes of Madness
May 14, 2015 Zachary at The Eyes of Madness rated it really liked it
A young man's desire to protect his family from an abusive father, the town sheriff, comes to fruition in the form of a mysterious stranger, and an ancient curse. William must learn to control his new found power and savagery to stop a damaged man who will do anything to stay in power.

Who doesn't love a good werewolf yarn? A Timely Curse brings the bloodletting in a quick and entertaining read. The action and tension is here, as is the gore, in spades. But what is lacking is solid character deve
Susan
Apr 27, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shelfari
I can only imagine what it's like to have your first work published, but for author Joseph DiBartolo, his imaginings have now been fulfilled in a most amazing way.
A Timely Curse is fast paced, intense, and forward moving! Joseph puts a unique spin on the paranormal world of shape-shifters, making them hero instead of villain. And the combination of youthful innocence and aged understanding between the two main characters is heartwarming.
This is a good story of childhood abuse in an impossible si
AJ Salem
Jun 13, 2014 AJ Salem rated it it was amazing
Very Timely Indeed

Joseph Di Bartolo crafts a suspenseful story with well developed characters in his first novel about werewolves and revenge. William Danvers makes a great protagonist - an awkward teenager who must bear the burden of living with an abusive father who works in law enforcement feels inept at keeping his mother and sister safe. With nowhere to turn, he jumps at the opportunity presented by Alexander, a mysterious stranger but is it worth the cost?

I’m a big fan of the genre and Jos
Cindy Smith
Mar 10, 2013 Cindy Smith rated it it was amazing
Karma gets some help!
Wow! I just finished this fast-paced, well written book! Joseph takes a unique spin on werewolves in his debut novel. And, what a spin! A werewolf as vigilante! Alexander is a werewolf with a desire to help William and his family get free of his abusive father. Since the father is a cop, the family has no options for help. So, Alexander turns William into a werewolf also. In this book, werewolves change at will, not by the light of the moon. William scares his dad by changi
Kimberly
Apr 06, 2013 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: really-read
What a wonderful story,can't believe this is his first book. I hope there are many more to come. I'm a big fan of the paranormal, and this is a very refreshing take on werewolves. A 'normal' family of 4, a son coming of age, his beautiful sister and mom, and then there's the abusive dad(who's also a local cop). I don't want to go into much more detail, except to say that I couldn't put it down.
Joey Dibartolo
Mar 17, 2013 Joey Dibartolo rated it it was amazing
loved it! Once I started could not put it down. Very easy reading kept me interested the entire time. Loved the vigilante concept.....cannot wait to read his next book...Congratulations and well done...continued success!!!
Jan Niblock
Oct 24, 2014 Jan Niblock rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
What a fun story -- love it when the Karma Bus gets their person. It left me wanting to know more but all in all, a very good story.
Kaila
Sep 24, 2013 Kaila rated it really liked it
Very good story..I enjoyed the other side of werewolves and enjoyed the story and characters. Very nicely written and thought of.
Linda
Jun 06, 2013 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: read-fantasy
This book was very well written given it was the author's first book. The rating is based more on my feelings about the gore of book and not how well the book was written. Sorry! It was just a bit bloody for me so although it was well written and will definitely rate 5 stars from others who like this genre, I rated it based on how much I liked the story in general and in no way meant to offend the author or have anyone think it is a bad book.

Some background:

William is raised in a home where his
Eden Baylee
Sep 21, 2014 Eden Baylee rated it it was amazing
***A worthy twist to the story of werewolves***

This is my first book by Mr. DiBartolo, and I was pleasantly initiated into the story of a werewolf shifter. A Timely Curse is an easy read, but it is nonetheless engaging and thoughtful. It reminds me of another 'hero' --- The Incredible Hulk, due to the physical description of the shifters, and the motivation of the main character.

I enjoyed the underlying story that prepared me for why the protagonist becomes who he is, and why he does what he doe
Daniel
Jan 24, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it
William is a book smart teen who suffers at school and at home (thanks to his alcoholic father, Gary.). All the while a stranger watches the teen with a plan and a cure for the teen's problems

While "A Timely Curse" is a good read, I feel it could have been better. The fact that the main character is a bookish character who comes upon power and uses it for revenge is entertaining, but cliche. Also the motivation behind Alexander helping the boy is a bit glossed over.

True the author mentions it b
Marinda
Jul 04, 2013 Marinda rated it really liked it
This book was given to me by the author for an honest review. William is a "geek" and even though he gets picked on in school it's nothing compared to his home life. His father is a drunk and abusive man and William can't report him to the sheriff because he is the sheriff. He is tormented about his inability to protect his mother and sister until he meets someone who helps him turn the tide in his favor. This is a well written book for a first book and I really like how the characters interact. ...more
Eichin Chang-Lim
Dec 26, 2013 Eichin Chang-Lim rated it it was amazing
Although this book is DiBartolo's debut work, it is well written with a convincing plot.

I particularly enjoyed how the author explored and developed his protagonist's character. The story is the tale of a werewolf helping a desperate high school student to provide safety for his mother and sister while fighting for justice in their town. The story flows very well, and I like DiBartolo’s writing style.

If you enjoy supernatural thrillers, you will definitely want to read this book!
Conny
Jun 02, 2014 Conny rated it it was amazing
I got this book from the Author as a gift and I enjoyed it very much. It was a fast paced book that kept me at the edge of my seat until the very end and I found it very entertaining and also bloody, which did not bother me. I would love to find out what happens next to the main characters, so maybe we can talk Joseph DiBartolo into writing a sequel.
Kim Page
Mar 22, 2015 Kim Page rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible, exciting and unique (in my opinion) for a werewolf story! This book puts a whole new meaning to the word Karma!!
I can't help but love when the 'underdog' wins!!!
Joseph DiBartolo is an extraordinary writer when it comes to his genre!
I am looking forward to finding out what happens to William and Alexander next!!
Joyce Stokley
Jul 15, 2016 Joyce Stokley rated it it was amazing
Love thid

Joseph DiBartolo does it again. His story about a werewolf that takes evil out. A must read if you like werewolves. Great story and awesome characters
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
Aug 26, 2016 Cindy ~ SnS Reviews rated it really liked it
What's the ultimate way to get revenge on the father that has abused you and your mother and sister your whole life.... Becoming a wear wolf... :)
Ame
Ame rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it did not like it
Feb 15, 2015
Amy Litzler dibartolo
Amy Litzler dibartolo rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2013
C.M. Wright
C.M. Wright rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2013
Valerie Lee Jackson
Nov 21, 2013 Valerie Lee Jackson rated it really liked it
Captivating! The characters come to life.=)
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2015
Joseph DiBartolo
Mar 12, 2013 Joseph DiBartolo rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Leesia Champion
Leesia Champion rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2013
  • Where the Dead Talk
  • Two Tales Dark and Grim: The Key\The Brothers Piggett
  • Bang Bang
  • Operation Z-Day (The Raven Falconer Chronicles, #1)
  • The Plague Within (Brier Hospital, #5)
  • The Grind Show
  • Cold Faith and Zombies
  • Call to the Hunt
  • Degeneration (Degeneration #1)
  • Stalking Dead (The Vampire Hunter, #2)
  • Hell's Bells
  • A Circle Of Iron (Eldernost, #1)
  • Cruelty: Episode One (Cruelty #1)
  • The One You Feed (Shadow Tales #1)
  • The Zombie Knight Vol. 1 (The Zombie Knight, #1)
  • The Darkness of Shadows
  • Desolation: Stories
  • The Strange Case of Susanna
Joseph DiBartolo is a new author, avid reader, and film enthusiast who resides in South Florida. After many years wasted in other lines of work he decided to follow his long time dream of becoming a writer. A Timely Curse is his first publication and is of the paranormal variety at novella length.
More about Joseph DiBartolo...