Start by marking “Columbus: Ashes (Project Columbus, #2)” as Want to Read:
Columbus: Ashes (Project Columbus, #2)

Columbus: Ashes (Project Columbus #2)

In the wake of a terrifying awakening, the refugees of sleeper ship Raphael find themselves strewn across an island, far from their intended landing zone. The planet Demeter proves at once fascinating and deadly as Captain Kimura struggles to recover supplies scattered by the crash while reuniting the survivors—both military and civilian—in order to protect them from ...more
Published March 12th 2013 by J.C. Rainier

To ask other readers questions about Columbus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Columbus

Denise
May 20, 2016 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-2016
The second part of the series focusses largely on the survivors from the ship Raphael, first to arrive at the new planet and destroyed by a reactor breach on the final approach, who struggle to survive in their new and entirely unknown environment. Scattered into small groups, with limited radio contact, many dead or injured when the pods crashed to the ground and the military command structure virtually non-existant, they face sickness, indigenous predators, supply shortages as well as strife w ...more
Mathew Reuther
Mar 12, 2013 Mathew Reuther rated it it was amazing
I just read Ashes straight through (today is release day) and was very happy with the book. This volume builds on Flight very nicely indeed, offering us a great look at the aftermath of the disaster which befell Raphael.

Much of the book belongs to Captain Kimura and the other survivors, but we do see Cal and Darius again in parts. As far as Haruka is concerned, she (and the rest of the crashed military and civilians) face a heck of a rough time. As one might expect from how Flight ended the prob
Jo-Anne Pfoh
Dec 20, 2013 Jo-Anne Pfoh rated it it was amazing
I was worried that since this was book 2 in a series that I was not going to be able to follow the story, I could not have been more wrong. It is written so well it can be read as a stand alone or as part of the series.

I am a huge science fiction fan and Columbus Ashes was just what the doctor ordered. We follow several groups of survivors military and civilian whom have crashed on a hostile Earth-like planet. Captain Haruka must gather as many supplies as possible and set out on a journey throu
Kim
Sep 04, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

I enjoyed reading this book. I love science fiction (began with Andre Norton in the 60s) and wasn't sure if this was something I'd like. However after just a few pages, I was hooked. The characters are interesting and many feel like they are people you would like, although some of my favorites don't have happy endings.

I did find the switch from planet to ship a little too sharp. I had a hard time with some of the ship scenes, whether because I found the ot
Megan Reuther
Mar 12, 2013 Megan Reuther rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Ashes, we follow Haruka and other survivors through the perils of setting up a new civilization on a mostly Earth-like planet. In addition to the expected difficulties of setting up camp, they're scattered all over due to the crash, and have lost critical supplies. They face strange flora/fauna, sickness, murder and have to sort out how to enact justice in its wake.

Back on the coming ships, it's a whole 'nother soap opera with feuding colonels, a budding romance, prophetic dreams, the distres
Nicole
Sep 07, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I received a free autographed copy of Columbus: Ashes via a Goodreads giveaway. I really enjoyed this book. The writing style, the characters, the story are all great, and even though this is the 2nd book in a 3 book series it reads like a stand alone book, which is great because there's no sense of missing something if you haven't read the 1st book. Thank-you Goodreads and thank-you J.C. Rainier.
Roy Wano
Roy Wano rated it it was amazing
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
May 22, 2013
Darren
Darren rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2014
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2013
Cheryl Corbin
Cheryl Corbin rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2014
Kyle Hafar
Kyle Hafar rated it did not like it
Mar 19, 2014
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2013
Jillian
Jillian rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2013
Folashade
Folashade rated it it was amazing
Aya
Aya marked it as to-read
Julie Hutchinson
Julie Hutchinson marked it as to-read
Teresa Lavender
Teresa Lavender marked it as to-read
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Leeanne
Leeanne marked it as to-read
Frank Martorana
Frank Martorana marked it as to-read
Sandy Klocinski
Sandy Klocinski marked it as to-read
Lyn Midden
Lyn Midden marked it as to-read
Karen Bainbridge
Karen Bainbridge marked it as to-read
Karen Gonyea
Karen Gonyea marked it as to-read
Donn Angel
Donn Angel marked it as to-read
Robert Piacquad
Robert Piacquad marked it as to-read
Shannon Baas
Shannon Baas marked it as to-read
Sharon Ballon
Sharon Ballon marked it as to-read
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Kevin Colvin
Kevin Colvin marked it as to-read
Ayumi
Ayumi marked it as to-read
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Diana Senn
Diana Senn marked it as to-read
Debra Stein
Debra Stein marked it as to-read
Christiana
Christiana marked it as to-read
Angela Cunningham
Angela Cunningham marked it as to-read
Mark Slavin
Mark Slavin marked it as to-read
Violet
Violet marked it as to-read
John Moody
John Moody marked it as to-read
Carol Swaim
Carol Swaim marked it as to-read
Kim McHughes
Kim McHughes marked it as to-read
Ron Frampton
Ron Frampton marked it as to-read
Sunshyne
Sunshyne marked it as to-read
Amanda Torres
Amanda Torres marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
  • Through Struggle, the Stars (Human Reach, #1)
  • The Eldridge Conspiracy
  • Beneath the Starry Sky (1Night Stand, #70)
  • Counting Down
  • Binary Cycle: Disruption (Binary Cycle, #1)
  • A Lever Long Enough
  • Fledge
  • Ghosts of Ophidian
  • Alien Blood (Diaspora Worlds, #2)
  • Mandrake Company (Books 1-4)
  • Blue Galaxy (Blue Universe # 1)
  • Promise of the Flame (The Hidden Flame, #2)
  • The Titan Drowns
  • Deep Black Sea
  • Pitch Black: Fight Evil With Evil
  • Real Lies
  • Nexus Point
  • Legend of the Chosen (Destiny's Kingdom #1)
J.C. Rainier is product of the Pacific Northwest, born in the Seattle area in 1978, and living in the Puget Sound area his whole life. He is the younger of two children in his family, and his older brother proved to be a giant pest up through his teenage years (as siblings tend to be).

J.C.’s parents were both educators working at the middle school level, and he married into another family of educa
More about J.C. Rainier...

Project Columbus (4 books)
  • Columbus: Flight (Project Columbus, #1)
  • Columbus: Demeter (Project Columbus, #3)
  • Columbus: Winter (Project Columbus, #4)