Start by marking “The Sugar Fix: The High-Fructose Fallout That Is Making You Fat and Sick” as Want to Read:
The Sugar Fix: The High-Fructose Fallout That Is Making You Fat and Sick

The Sugar Fix: The High-Fructose Fallout That Is Making You Fat and Sick

In The Sugar Fix, Dr. Richard Johnson, who oversees a pioneering research program, reports on discoveries about how fructose impacts the body—and directly connects the American obesity epidemic to a frightening escalation in our fructose consumption.

It comes as no surprise that the sugar is found in processed foods like candy, baked goods, canned foods, and frozen meals in
Published April 1st 2008 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about The Sugar Fix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sugar Fix

May 04, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Hmm, this book makes me feel very torn. I thought the science was interesting and thus he had a lot of good points. He makes the case that fructose is a major factor in the obesity epidemic, but even more than excess weight, sugar causes toxic levels of uric acid in the blood which manifests in a variety of health issues-- heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer. Not only do we all need to eat drastically lower levels of fructose, we need to start out with a two-week fructose fast to bring down ...more
Betsy
Jan 19, 2011 Betsy rated it it was ok
Meh. This book wasn't really what I thought it would be about. Half of it explained how sugar effects the body, which was interesting. A lot of it was over my head and I don't think I got a clear understanding of it really works. Purines and uric acid and all that jazz.

The other half of the book, which I wasn't thrilled about, was his diet plan. The food on that list looked like a really crappy diet. Breakfast of an english muffin and a slice of swiss cheese? There were also several recipes tha
Barbara Abate
Sep 20, 2012 Barbara Abate rated it really liked it
This book started out as a most fascinating read. Loads of sobering information on the evils of High-Fructose (and HF truly is evil!) But sadly the whole deal goes south once the author suggests the use of Artificial Sweeteners. Huh???? Chemical sweeteners have no place in the diet of anyone interested in maintaining a healthy body. The chapters BEFORE the Chem Sweeteners creep in is sound and well worth reading, however. Just be sure and skip the "fake stuff."
Emily Mellow
Feb 27, 2012 Emily Mellow rated it did not like it
Shelves: nutrition-health
OK, I only skimmed this book, but any book that recommends you replace real sweeteners with aspartame is not worth reading. Sugar may be the source of most of our woes these days, but artificial sweeteners are probably worse.
Marie Curfman
Jun 27, 2012 Marie Curfman rated it did not like it
don't waste you time- this book sucks. he spends 160 pages repeating the same information he gives you in the introduction, about fructose and uric acid making us fat. yes, 160 of repeating himself over and over- while making it clear that his research is in the early stages and he doesnt know WHY some of these things are true, just that they seem to be, nothing has been proven though @@ the theory seems ok, but by the time you get to the diet, you feel like screaming. to me, any diet that elimi ...more
Frank
Jan 22, 2016 Frank rated it it was amazing
The Sugar Fix: The High-Fructose Fallout That Is Making You Fat and Sick warns of the dangers of eating a diet high in fructose and correlates excess fructose consumption to a number of serious medical conditions, including high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, and kidney disease.

The book covers all aspects of fructose in detail, including how it's absorbed into the body, the relationship between fructose and uric acid, how fructose doesn't satisfy an appetite, and the significance of hi
Farhana Faruq
Jan 07, 2013 Farhana Faruq rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-fitness
This is a difficult book to rate. It's interesting for the most part, in describing the ill effects sugar (mainly fructose) and uric acid have on the body but at the same time it's based on a lot of theories, so it almost makes it a pointless read.

EVERYONE by now surely knows we consume more sugar than we need to - that isn't new, and it's common sense that eliminating some of it will be beneficial to our overall health. That said, I'm not sure we need a whole 'diet' plan to do that. I also don'
Heidi
Aug 10, 2009 Heidi rated it liked it
I really liked the content of this book. He presented study after study and lots of info on the evils of sugar. I thought I was going to love the book, but the last part of the book he started pushing sugar substitutes. Artificial ones. I don't want artificial stuff in my life and my opinion of the book dropped. If you are looking for info on how sugar affects you body, this is a great book. Just be prepared that it may not have an answer for how to deal with it. His research is mainly about fru ...more
Terri
May 27, 2008 Terri rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
Pretty interesting read. I had NO idea I was reading a diet book until about 1/2 way through. It was still full of some interesting info. HOWEVER, I became a little skeptical when he begins to discuss his "diet" in further detail and really starts to promote the use of artificial sweetners. WHAT! Then I questioned his motives.
Nikki
Jun 10, 2013 Nikki rated it liked it
This book definitely solidified in my mind that we are not buying food with hfcs in them anymore and that preparing meals from scratch is really worth the time. I couldn't really read the menu/recpies on my Nook Simple Touch so I don't know how they looked but I have decided to try limiting my sugar intake and if I can't do it on my own I will get my hands on a hard copy of the meal plan!
Mary
Sep 23, 2009 Mary rated it it was ok
I'm not sure I'll read much more of this book. I understand the concept that we eat too much sugar but I don't believe eating cholorinated sugar is actually better for you. A lot of the recipes in the back have Splenda which I don't do. It sounds like he's trying to discover a new sugar subsitute or something. Moderation in all things would be better, not always easy but better.
Donnie
Jun 21, 2014 Donnie rated it really liked it
Well-documented review of literature on changes in the composition of our diet over time with increasing insertion of high fructose corn syrup and sugar in general into our diets and the possible consequences of this change. Well worth reading and thinking about.
Peter lok
Jun 05, 2013 Peter lok rated it liked it
Shelves: 12th-grade
this was an interesting book. teaches you the facts on high fructose corn syrup that you might not have thought were true while killing myths that linger around your mind. Its a bit long but if you want to learn more about what you eat, read this.
Michelle Devine
Jul 14, 2013 Michelle Devine rated it really liked it
In our brainwashed society, MARKETING is so powerful, and this is an accurate reflection of the dangers of how hidden sugars creep their way into our diet.
Anyone with kids should read this book. If this doesn't change the way you eat or feed your family, nothing will.
Terrie
Apr 14, 2011 Terrie rated it it was ok
Well supported explanation of why we should reduce fructose intake, but there is too much unsuported supposition, opinions, etc. on other topics.
Biz
May 14, 2008 Biz rated it did not like it
Rubbish. Much better books out there. Can't even finish it.
Emily
Sep 11, 2012 Emily rated it it was ok
If you essentially agree with Johnson's premise, you may appreciate all the information. If you don't, I'm not sure you'll be convinced by it.
Jeralyn lovell
Very interesting why sources of fructose make us fat.
Kate
May 11, 2013 Kate rated it it was ok
Meh. Prefer a non-artificial sweetener approach, grabbed a few recipes --
Kody Dibble
Aug 31, 2016 Kody Dibble rated it it was amazing
This was crazy, I knew it was bad but not this bad...But we didn't evolve so bad evolution examples. lol.
SpatialH
Mar 19, 2011 SpatialH rated it it was ok
meh.

stay away from high fructose corn syrup. I don't know what more I thought I would learn from the book. There's some recipes, but you can get that from a diabetes/low sugar cook book.
Kelly
Feb 16, 2013 Kelly rated it liked it
Interesting idea. I'm not completely sold on the low fructose diet. I have concerns about a diet that says diet soda is ok, and to drink as much as you want.
Genevieve
Apr 22, 2010 Genevieve rated it really liked it
Wonderful information about how sugar afffects our bodies, and how the huge amounts now in the average American diet is killing us with high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, etc. Very motivational!
Todd
Dec 07, 2008 Todd rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
Meh. Same old - same old. Sugar Bad, Flavorless mush good.
Kate
May 16, 2008 Kate rated it did not like it
Shelves: health
to quote EM:
rubbish. can't even finish it
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2011
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2008
TASHA
TASHA rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2009
Maria Cox
Maria Cox rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2014
Tim 2
Tim 2 rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • How to Drink
  • The 100-Mile Diet: A Year of Local Eating
  • Appetite for Profit: How the Food Industry Undermines Our Health and How to Fight Back
  • 'wichcraft: Craft a Sandwich into a Meal--And a Meal into a Sandwich
  • The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance
  • The pH Miracle for Weight Loss: Balance Your Body Chemistry, Achieve Your Ideal Weight
  • Dangerous Grains: The Devastating Truth About Wheat and Gluten, and How to Restore Your Health
  • Business and Competitive Analysis: Effective Application of New and Classic Methods
  • Healthy Cooking for Two (or Just You): Low-Fat Recipes with Half the Fuss and Double the Taste
  • How Math Explains the World: A Guide to the Power of Numbers, from Car Repair to Modern Physics
  • The Raw Food Detox Diet: The Five-Step Plan for Vibrant Health and Maximum Weight Loss
  • And the Waters Turned to Blood
  • The Gluten Connection: How Gluten Sensitivity May Be Sabotaging Your Health - And What You Can Do to Take Control Now
  • Third Reich Victorious: Alternate Decisions of World War II
  • The Stop Walking on Eggshells Workbook: Practical Strategies for Living with Someone Who Has Borderline Personality Disorder
  • The Protein Power Lifeplan
  • Anytime, Anywhere
  • Sweet Dreams Drive (Hart's Crossing, #4)

“common table sugar, or sucrose, is a carbohydrate made up of two simple sugars, fructose and glucose. All plants produce sucrose, but a few contain very large quantities. Natives in the land now called New Guinea, the massive island north of Australia, discovered a tropical grass that came to be known as sugarcane, perhaps around 8000 BC. The sweet-tasting stalks were eventually carried to other lands, including India, where juices pressed from sugarcane were first boiled to produce crystals. Darius” 0 likes