Start by marking “Oathbreakers (Valdemar: Vows and Honor, #2)” as Want to Read:
Oathbreakers (Valdemar: Vows and Honor, #2)

Oathbreakers (Valdemar: Vows and Honor #2)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  10,526 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Evil had cast its shadow over the kingdom of Rethwellan. When Idra, leader of the Sunhawks mercenaries, failed to return from a journey to her home, Tarma and Kethry, warrior and mage, set out in search of their vanished leader.
Published January 3rd 1989 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Oathbreakers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oathbreakers

Sophie
I liked the events of this one much better than the events of The Oathbound. Spying and intrigue are much more to my taste than demon rapists. There was rape in this one, too, which was disappointing, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the first book.

Jadrek is a great character, Kethry's magical development is awesome, Tarma continues to be the best. I like travel stories, especially ones that involve surviving the elements. Also, there were Heralds! Well, one Herald.
Jeanne
Apr 16, 2013 Jeanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Feminist Fantasy fans
See my review about the first book in the series The Oathbound.

While you don't need to read the first book in order to enjoy this one, if you love this one I highly recommend going back and reading the first one.

This story revolves around the disappearance of Idra, commander of the Sunhawks mercenaries. Tarma and Kethry are the members of the mercenary company who lead an investigation into what happened to their beloved leader. The mystery isn't the that complex or really the appeal of the sto
Meg
Jun 22, 2007 Meg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Man, I don't know what it is about me and revenge stories! Well, to be fair, in this case it's less "revenge" and more "vengence"... which, in my mind, is not quite the same.

Another one of Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books, this one deals with two women (Tarma and Kethry) who are sworn in an oathbound sisterhood. I won't get in to the vengeance here, that's up to you to discover!

An interesting note here (to me anyway..) is that Tarma is the only literary character that I find "attractive". While
Chuck
Reading 100 books in 2010; reviews will be short for a while 'til I catch up blogging with what I've already read this year.

This book made a Mercedes Lackey fan out of me; I was lukewarm about the first one in the series and it had many of the flaws a first novel might. It's amazing how much Lackey grows as an artist between the first novel in the series and the second; better writing, even at the sentence level, better plotting, and more polish in general to go with her two wonderful characters
Kathleen
Kethry and Tarma join a mercenary company, go to Valdemar, summon Goddesses, and work a whole lot of magic. They also manage to discuss magic with a Herald well after Vanyel's time and well before Selenay's reign, but I think I can justify the inconsistency in the series by imagining there were no air sprites that close to the Rethwellian border on that particular day. Just go with it.

While having read the first Vows and Honor book is a definite prerequisite, this trilogy is shaping up to be fi
Nicole N.
I realized that if I don't like the first book in a Lackey's series, I tend to like the second and third book a lot more. Considering this is the second book in the series, I like this one a lot. Granted, there is a lot of information to swallow in this series and some parts (to me) just appeared out of the blue (almost out of convenience or in a "scapegoat" manner). Regardless, this is a thrilling 2nd book in the series.

Tarma and Kethry, Oathbound sisters, enter the Sunhawk mercenary company, c
Aerine
I started reading this one because I really couldn't get The Sunhawks out of my head. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oat0uG... I've read it several times. Again, if you're reading the electronic copy, have patience because obviously no one thought to make sure things were spelled right, or that they were laid out correctly.

I would have dearly loved more of the story of before joining the Sunhawks, or like the first year.... However, I was still very overjoyed in reading the book. The songs help
Serena
It may interest those who have read this book to know that Mercedes Lackey also put out a cassette/CD of the same name. You can sample some of the songs on YouTube, although the only place to buy it is from the Firebird Arts and Music website.

The Leslac Version
Contemplations
There’s Always a Reason (A Curse Upon All Bards)
Surprised by Joy
(Love) Found
Need
Oathbreakers
The Sunhawks
Suffer the Children
10)
Swordlady, or “That Song”
11)
Mirror Spell (Shield Spell)

(It may also incl
Kendra
Jun 20, 2014 Kendra rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: keepers
I am a very big fan of Mercedes Lackey, and with rare exceptions, I have really enjoyed reading her books. That said, the Vows & Honor books stand out as two of my all time favorites. The story is well paced, the characters are well fleshed and the language flows wonderfully. This series is one of those that I recommend to everyone.

This is the second book of the two book set. It is about the adventures of two mercenaries named Tarma and Kethry. This book picks up what seems to be a few year
Jordan
This was much better than the previous novel, The Oathbound. Probably a lot of that was due to the fact that this was one complete story, whereas the previous book was several short stories kind of mushed together. Also, Need, the magic sword that compels Kethry and Tarma to help women, has apparently become more restrained in this book so there was less running about and less cheese with the whole righteous women power bit. It felt much more like a novel with strong female leads than the estrog ...more
Bibliotropic
Hope
I've read FAR too much Mercedes Lackey, and have absolutely no wish to write about everything. Therefore, I'm reviewing one - and ONLY one - book in each of her various worlds.

Oathbreakers is probably my favorite book in the same world as the "Heralds of Valdemar" series. The heroines, Tarma and Kethry do know of and encounter Heralds, but are themselves mercenaries. Because this is not strictly a "Heralds" book, the reader is spared the exposition about the Heralds that is in *every* *single* *
Victoria
Mercedes Lackey’s Valdemar series provides one of the cornerstones of my reading history. After discovering her when quite young, I still follow new additions to the series - nearly twenty years later! I read and re-read these books over and over again throughout my youth, but I haven't re-read this series in its entirety in a long time - and never as an adult. There are some new books added to the series since the last time I read them, so this re-reading project is pretty exciting for me since ...more
Carol Gibson
I gave this book a higher rating than the other two in the series. While the issues that bother me is there in this novel the story itself is more compelling.

I do enjoy the political intrigue and watching the romance between Jadrick and Ketry grow. It was nice to see a guest spot with a herald and his companion.

These are fun reads and they don't take a lot of concentration they fill the need when you are looking for something light and pure escapism.
Stephanie
I read this on the heels of the first in the series ("The Oathbound") and after already having fallen in love with Tarma and Kethry through "By the Sword". That being said, "Oathbreakers" is MUCH more satisfying than the first in the series. It feels more like a complete story than the first, and it is highly satisfying to read.

The relationships deepen, the action is just as interesting as ever, and the ending is highly satisfying on several levels. I also think this book stands a much better ch
Ward Bond

Tarma: She was one of the Sin'a'in sword-sworn—the most elite of all warriors, and she had taken blood vengeance upon the brigands who massacred her people.Kethry: She fled her oppressive arranged marriage and became a powerful sorceress of the White Winds School, only to be bonded to a uniquely magical sword which drew her to women in need. Bound by sword-spell and the will of the Goddess, Tarma and Kethry swore a blood oath to carry on their mutual fight against evil and injustice. Now they ha

Jeremy Preacher
Oathbreakers is the only proper novel in the Tarma-and-Kethry sequence, and it's good. It's a little more of a proper Valdemar novel, despite only barely touching on Valdemar itself, and much less a sword-and-sorcery pastiche.

It's still very much pulp - the language, while competent and noticeably smoother than its immediate predecessor, is still rather faux-medieval and occasionally overwrought, the plot is a little too pat to be totally believable, and it's yet another rape-revenge story at th
Meagan
Second book in the Oath series, though this one benefits from having one main story arc. Still has a weird problem or two (like one of the main characters (view spoiler) but less egregious this time around.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Sep 28, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans
I find Tarma and Kethry two of Lackey's most appealing characters. (To say nothing of Warrl, a kind of androgenous talking wolf).

The earlier book, Oathbound proceeds this--I don't think you have to read it to enjoy this book, but I'd recommend it highly too. That first book is more a collection of stories--this one is a true novel. I enjoy it for its depiction of a mercenary company, the Sun Hawks, which is evocatively depicted here. It's nice to see a fantasy novel not just about a lone hero b
Dan Donovan
Lackey rides again

Fast paced book with enough action woven into a pleasant story line to make good easy reading. Nothing original or challenging, just a good pleasant read.
Kerri
Tarma and Kethry (and Warrl of course), are among my favorite characters in Lackey's Velgarth books, and in this second part of the Vows and Honor duology, they continue to kick serious ass and save the world. This time, their enemies include a ruthless usurper, an evil mage, and a slanderous Bard. There are new friends too of course, and some romance for Kethry. Unlike The Oathbound, this is a full novel, not a loosely connected series of stories. But like the stories, it's just as full of acti ...more
Cindy
I read this series years ago. I decided to re-read them and read all the Heralds of Valdemar books chronologically.

Loved it just as much this time as the first time!
Melinda
This is my favorite book of this trilogy, no small part due to the fact that it is the only one actually written as a book. The first one is a collection of stories that Lackey strung together into a storyline, but occasionally feels disconnected. The following book doesn't even pretend to be a full story, and while it has a short novella, most of the book is just a collection of all the short stories of Tarma & Kethry, some of which had already been used in the Oathbound.

As far as the story
Trixie
The end to Kethry and Tarma's story. Aw. =c I could've used more but I see how important they are to the main story. I'm glad I met them.
Rebecca
Great series, really enjoyed the whole story and plot line.

Also has great characters and builds up the world of valedmar even more.
Rory
I finally got into the characters by this second novel. I thought that this was the strongest book in the series.
Renee
This is the sequel to Oathbound, and I thought a much better book. Tarma & Kethry have joined a mercenary company - Kethry's an adept now & Tarma's a commander. Warryl's still with them. When their captain goes to choose between her two brothers, both vieing for the throne of Rethwellan, she vanishes and they go looking for her.

This is a darker book with an appalling villain you love to HATE! A great cast of characters, including some really spectacular horses. Yes, if you put pretty hor
I loved this book when I first read it in my early adolescence, and I found myself still greatly enjoying it as an adult (even if the flaws are far more readily apparent).

The greatest strength of the novel is the friendship between Tarma and Kethry: an epic bond of the sort that is usually only allowed to male characters. It is infinitely refreshing to have two strong women with ironclad bonds of sisterhood.

The story itself if interesting, and decently paced, though nothing extraordinary. It was
Diane
Yet another in the series, and much more satisfying than the first one. This one ACTUALLY made me cry for a moment - a tear or two was shed for an unexpected situation I forgot about. It's been years since I read the book, so it's allowed. But it also speaks to the writing and the characters that I would feel that much for them.

This book has a much more coherent plot and lets you get to know the characters much more deeply than before. I think Lackey matured as a writer and didn't fall back on s
Sbuchler
Genre: High Fantasy

I adored this book when it came out (back when I was in high school). Like Oathbound, it doesn’t hold up as well reading it as an adult. Unlike Oathbound, this book is structured like a novel and has bits I still really enjoy - the poetry of the pivotal scene still resonates with me, even if it is over-the-top. The dialogue is still not Lackey’s strong point, although there are fewer pointless observations then there were in Oathbound. Lackey’s talent here is really for creati
Goodreads Librari...: Cover Correction? 3 164 Dec 22, 2012 03:31PM
  • Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)
  • Sword and Sorceress III
  • No Quarter (Quarters #3)
  • Sword-Maker (Tiger and Del, #3)
  • If I Pay Thee Not in Gold
  • Mindspeaker's Call (Ghatti's Tale, #2)
  • Power Lines (Petaybee, #2)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts & ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Valdemar: Vows and Honor (3 books)
  • The Oathbound (Valdemar: Vows and Honor, #1)
  • Oathblood (Valdemar: Vows and Honor, #3)
Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1) Magic's Pawn (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #1) By the Sword (Valdemar: Kerowyn's Tale, #1) Magic's Price (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #3) Magic's Promise (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #2)