Hunting Eve
read excerpt* *Different edition

Hunting Eve (Eve Duncan #17)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  2,321 ratings  ·  289 reviews
EVE DUNCAN IS BACK.
THE HUNT IS ON.

The latest in Iris Johansen's pulse-pounding series that Kirkus Reviews calls “filled with intriguing twists and characters and an overarching mystery that will keep fans coming back.”

She was taken for a reason. Chosen for her skills as a forensic sculptor. Abducted by the deranged father of a serial killer and forced to reconstruct his d...more
Published November 19th 2013 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published July 16th 2013)

Heather Hawley
I used to really like the Eve Duncan series but the writing has just gotten bad over the last few books. Some of the dialogue made me laugh out loud and I don't think it was supposed to. I will read the last one in this series just to finish off the trilogy but then I am probably done. I don't mind the supernatural elements but I feel like the author is just trying to get books out instead of writing a quality story. I also think she is adding a lot of unnecessary filler material and characters...more
Melanie
Look - I fell for Eve Duncan a long time ago - so I'll continue to read Iris Johansen's books about her but this "trilogy" is pissing me off. Money - the only answer to my question as to why this couldn't be one book ... Too bad that Eve isn't someone you'd leave behind - because otherwise I'd drop Ms. Johansen the same way she left Eve ... cold, wet and in the woods surrounded by coyotes.
Dear Ms. Johansen - guess you're laughing all the way to the bank.
Kay
Her books have dropped in my status:
1. Buying the minute they come out in hardback
2. Waiting for the paperback
3. Putting on hold from the library
4. Waiting till they are on the shelf of the library so I don't waste a hold
5. Pulling off the shelf when I have nothing left to read.
6. Not read at all

Her books are now on #5 as far as I'm concerned. However, I expect nothing from them anymore so am not disappointed! The only complaint I have about this one is it still bothers me she gives her characte...more
Jeanne
Not anywhere as good as her previous novels. I was getting tired of the Eve series already but in this one it seems everyone has to behave outside their normal behavior to "make the story work." Everything seems forced. When I first read her books they flowed so smoothly and with such action I couldn't put them down. This feels like an author who contracted for more books in a series that she is mentally done with. Wish she would move on and begin again with new people and new passion.
Sue Scheve Zerjal
I have red numerous books with the character Eve Duncan, and I have enjoyed them, but this one is poor. Iris Johansen has taken a story, stretched it into a trilogy, and ruined it. This book could win a contest for the worst dialogue written. If it were a movie, the audience would laugh at times. I finished it, but I am not sure I can read the final installment. I might have to read the reviews because so many people tell plot rather than write reviews.
Barbara ★
I've always enjoyed Eve Duncan and her exploits but this latest "trilogy" is really stretching it. This isn't a story that required 1054 pages to tell (#1 339; #2 400; #3 416). It just felt as if the author let the publishers dictate how this story should play out. A whole lot of the story was repetitive and though I liked the plot itself, I found myself frustrated and thinking "get on with it already". I think this story could have easily been told in one book (450-500 pages) that wouldn't have...more
Chantal
This was an enjoyable read, and I find myself looking forward to the next book but I am not so sure about this series anymore. The supernatural aspects seem to be overtaking the plots and characters, almost changing the genre. I completely understand suspending reality when reading, but the usage of the supernatural elements seem to keep going more extreme with each new book. I always enjoyed the Bonnie connection, but it seems like any new character has some supernatural ability. And these abil...more
Carole
I give up on this series. What started out as an interesting and entertaining, I believed, realistic look into the life of a forensic sculptor has turned into some kind of sci-fi, paranormal, fantasy 14 books later. I sensed it happening a few books back, but I wanted give Iris Johansen a chance to sway me. I gave this book 82 pages before I had to throw my hands up in the air and cry UNCLE. As much as it pains me to not finish a book, I have to with this series. So, even though I may never find...more
Beth
Very cheesy writing and somewhat unbelievable characters almost made me give up on this book, but something kept me listening (during my drive to and from work). In the end, I must say that in spite of all the cheesiness and the unbelievable characters, etc. I was drawn into the story. But then again, I am easily entertained and less picky during my morning commute than I am with my nighttime reading. The end was clearly written to get you to read the next in the trilogy. I won't be doing it!
Ricki
I actually started reading this book about a week ago....It really is not a good book at all! Be aware if you buy this book you are buying one third of a complete story line. (and it is the middle third) After finishing Talking Eve most readers would wonder where the rest of the book was. After struggling through the first half of Hunting Eve (which covers only a few days time) I kept waiting for the story line to pick up the pace...It didn't. If you haven't read Taking Eve yet I think you will...more
Kathie
This trilogy is no where near as good as the Eve Bonnie Quinn series. There is too much reliance on supernatural and less effort toward writing a good and suspenseful tale as she use to do time after time. Will I read the 3rd book when it comes in? Probably. But I won't be holding my breath waiting for it to be released.
Paul Lima
I admit, I gave up. Not sure what was worse, the writing or the plot, or the character interaction. I'm not even sure how to describe the book, not even in a full sentence or two. Just want to say I read 4 chapters, skipped to the last two and barely skimmed them. Just couldn't care about who did what to whom....
Kmmoy
I don't know why I continue to read this series. It started out so good, but now....the story lines are predictable, and the writing is bad--almost juvenile. I guess I just want to see what happens next. Not planning to waste any more time on this series.
Nancy
After having read all the books in this series, I was disappointed in this one. Seems like everyone from all the other books had to be included. The paranormal talents of each is a bit overplayed.
Tanya
More like a 3.5 stars (not the best I have read but still worth reading).

I have read all the Eve Duncan books to date and have enjoyed them all. After reading "Taking Eve" I felt that the whole Eve Duncan series may be getting a little old and after reading this book, I still feel the same way. That being said I did enjoy this book much more than "Taking Eve". I found it more fast pace and I had a hard time putting the book down.

Like the first book in this triology, I did find the writing a bi...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
The plot keeps getting more exciting with the 2nd book in this Trilogy - about Even Duncan. She's definitely one of my favorite heroines in this genre.

After being left with the nail-biting cliffhanger in Taking Eve, I couldn't wait for this book...the story keeps me hanging from the edge of my seat...as usual.

After escaping from the evil Doane, Eve is now being hunted as his prey and we get to see what she's capable of doing without any help from anyone. She's on her own, whilst everyone close t...more
Melissa
Aug 21, 2013 Melissa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suspense Readers
This is a typical Eve Duncan novel, filled with lots of twists, turns, and suspense. However, this book was just a tension builder for the final book of this Eve Duncan Trilogy. There were many filler snippets ... we learned a bit more about Zander, Stang, and Caleb. I liked how Kendra and Margaret's friendship was building. I do believe the Eve Duncan series is starting to wear thin. It may be time to put this series to rest. I was disappointed that the last Eve Duncan Trilogy felt like it migh...more
Andreasoldier
I told myself I wouldn't read anymore of these, but its like being addicted. I know its bad but I can't help myself. At least there's only one left, supposedly.
Eve escapes her kidnapper and is on the run. Meanwhile her lover Joe, their adopted daughter and her ex-lover and wanna-be lover, plus some other friends are trying to locate Eve or her kidnapper before he kills her.
Way to much woo-woo — even suspending some belief, this stuff is hard to take on faith. Bad dialogue, bad plotting. Johanse...more
Joan
I think Johansen has lost her way. I have accepted that Eve talks to Bonnie, but now she has people who can move blood to heal, talk to animals and has extreme senses because she was blind. Eve has been kidnapped by Doane who wants her to reassemble his son's skull. He thinks with the skull reassembled his son, Kevin will come back to life. Eve senses danger in the skull. Eve senses that Kevin is a threat to her dead daughter, Bonnie. All Eve's friends are trying to save her. I was upset with th...more
Phyllis
Always enjoy Iris Johansen's books, this one not so much. I was really looking forward to her new trilogy, Taking Eve, Hunting Eve, Silencing Eve. Just finished Hunting Eve and I was a little disappointed. Was very hard for me to get thru it. It seemed like Eve and Joe were sort of lost in this one. Hope the last one in the trilogy is better.
Jan Williams
This series is a tad "out there" for me- do not believe I will read any more. Iris Johannson used to be one of my favorite authors, but there I believe there is too much on the EVE character at this point-
I really enjoyed the earlier books written by this author. I will have to shelve her upcoming books for awhile before I try them again.
Teri
The Eve Duncan books by Iris Johansen are one of my favorite series. However, I find this latest set which is written as a series frustrating. The books are not that long taking only a day or two to read and end in places where there is no resolution. I much prefer the stand alone books written by Johansen.
Diane Roberts
Very boring. I like taking eve. Last 75 pages were interesting rest is hours I won't get back
Wondering if last of trilogy will finally be the last of eve Duncan. Author has done many other very successful books some with her son. Author needs to move on. At $32/book silencing eve is my last book I'm moving on
Roberta Emerson
Spoiler alert...not really. But it's a trilogy dealing with the kidnapping of the protagonist of nearly all of the author's books; this is volume 2 of 3...guess what!? They didn't rescue her! I'm afraid I care little about the result. Alive or dead in volume 3, I'm so done with this author after that!
Pam
When I started reading this, I thought whoa I've had enough of this. I have read all the Eve Duncan books and am a little tired of what a superior person Eve is. Anyway I soon got caught up in the story. It ends with another cliffhanger. I'm sure ill read the next one, too.
Heather
Title: Hunting Eve

Author: Iris Johansen

Series: Eve Duncan #17 (Part of the trilogy: Taking Eve, Hunting Eve, Silencing Eve)

Synopsis (from bn.com): The stakes are raised even higher in Hunting Eve as Eve battles the man who is holding her prisoner. Secrets about why Eve has been targeted come into the light, bringing Eve even closer to danger. With its cliffhanger ending, Hunting Eve sets up perfectly for the finale, Silencing Eve.

My thoughts: This is the second book in the latest trilogy by...more
Gevera Bert
This was terrible. So full of filler. I ended up skipping quickly through the last third just to see how it ended. Hopefully the third one will be better. Seems like this could have been 1 fat book with less extraneous stuff instead of 3.
Janet Smith
I've been waiting for this book to come out after the cliffhanger in Taking Eve and it doesn't disappoint !!! Another cliffhanger ending and I have to wait until October for the conclusion!!!!
Lindsay
I liked this better than the first in the trilogy. (Action packed and multiple character lines coming together in an exciting conclusion) Again, I hate cliff hangers, so I am glad I already have the next book waiting on the shelf for me. I think this author could explain plot lines through thoughts more effectively than through the character dialog, as some of the wording seems awkward and unnatural (no one I've met talks that way). I like Zander's character and the odd interaction with Eve, and...more
C.G.
Iris Johansen has been one of my favourite writers since her first Loveswept and I still have every one of her books. That being said, I'm not sure I will be buying any more Eve Duncan books after reading this trilogy. I find my self skipping passages - especially when Mark Trevor spouts off about his feelings for Jane. For Pete's sake, they're supposed to be looking for Eve, even though Jane should still be in the hospital, but I just get annoyed whenever he or Seth (Caleb) try to one up each o...more
  • Bombshell (FBI Thriller #17)
  • Hostage (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #14)
  • Ready to Die (To Die, #5)
  • The Night Is Alive (Krewe of Hunters, #10)
  • The Beast (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #21)
  • The Last Kiss Goodbye
  • The 9th Girl (Kovac and Liska #4)
  • Cold Snap (Lucy Kincaid #7)
  • Gone (Michael Bennett, #6)
  • Death Angel (Alexandra Cooper, #15)
  • Stranded (Maggie O’Dell, #11)
  • The Shadow Tracer
  • Accused (Rosato & Associates, #12)
  • Unintended Consequences (Stone Barrington, #26)
  • Thankless in Death (In Death, #37)
  • Deadly Stakes (Ali Reynolds #8)
Johansen began writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great success. She had seventeen consecutive New York Times b...more
More about Iris Johansen...
The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2) The Face Of Deception (Eve Duncan, #1) The Search (Eve Duncan, #3) Eve (Eve, Quinn and Bonnie #1) Body of Lies (Eve Duncan, #4)