Start by marking “Hunting Eve” as Want to Read:
Hunting Eve

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Hunting Eve (Eve Duncan #17)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  4,865 Ratings  ·  374 Reviews
EVE DUNCAN IS BACK.
THE HUNT IS ON.

The latest in Iris Johansen's pulse-pounding series that Kirkus Reviews calls "filled with intriguing twists and characters and an overarching mystery that will keep fans coming back."

She was taken for a reason. Chosen for her skills as a forensic sculptor. Abducted by the deranged father of a serial killer and forced to reconstruct his d
Published November 19th 2013 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published July 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Hunting Eve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunting Eve

Heather Hawley
I used to really like the Eve Duncan series but the writing has just gotten bad over the last few books. Some of the dialogue made me laugh out loud and I don't think it was supposed to. I will read the last one in this series just to finish off the trilogy but then I am probably done. I don't mind the supernatural elements but I feel like the author is just trying to get books out instead of writing a quality story. I also think she is adding a lot of unnecessary filler material and characters ...more
Melanie
Look - I fell for Eve Duncan a long time ago - so I'll continue to read Iris Johansen's books about her but this "trilogy" is pissing me off. Money - the only answer to my question as to why this couldn't be one book ... Too bad that Eve isn't someone you'd leave behind - because otherwise I'd drop Ms. Johansen the same way she left Eve ... cold, wet and in the woods surrounded by coyotes.
Dear Ms. Johansen - guess you're laughing all the way to the bank.
Kay
Nov 07, 2013 Kay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Her books have dropped in my status:
1. Buying the minute they come out in hardback
2. Waiting for the paperback
3. Putting on hold from the library
4. Waiting till they are on the shelf of the library so I don't waste a hold
5. Pulling off the shelf when I have nothing left to read.
6. Not read at all

Her books are now on #5 as far as I'm concerned. However, I expect nothing from them anymore so am not disappointed! The only complaint I have about this one is it still bothers me she gives her characte
Barbara ★
I've always enjoyed Eve Duncan and her exploits but this latest "trilogy" is really stretching it. This isn't a story that required 1054 pages to tell (#1 339; #2 400; #3 416). It just felt as if the author let the publishers dictate how this story should play out. A whole lot of the story was repetitive and though I liked the plot itself, I found myself frustrated and thinking "get on with it already". I think this story could have easily been told in one book (450-500 pages) that wouldn't have ...more
Sue Scheve Zerjal
Sep 05, 2013 Sue Scheve Zerjal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I have red numerous books with the character Eve Duncan, and I have enjoyed them, but this one is poor. Iris Johansen has taken a story, stretched it into a trilogy, and ruined it. This book could win a contest for the worst dialogue written. If it were a movie, the audience would laugh at times. I finished it, but I am not sure I can read the final installment. I might have to read the reviews because so many people tell plot rather than write reviews.
Jeanne
Jul 06, 2013 Jeanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not anywhere as good as her previous novels. I was getting tired of the Eve series already but in this one it seems everyone has to behave outside their normal behavior to "make the story work." Everything seems forced. When I first read her books they flowed so smoothly and with such action I couldn't put them down. This feels like an author who contracted for more books in a series that she is mentally done with. Wish she would move on and begin again with new people and new passion.
Carole
Aug 13, 2013 Carole rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I give up on this series. What started out as an interesting and entertaining, I believed, realistic look into the life of a forensic sculptor has turned into some kind of sci-fi, paranormal, fantasy 14 books later. I sensed it happening a few books back, but I wanted give Iris Johansen a chance to sway me. I gave this book 82 pages before I had to throw my hands up in the air and cry UNCLE. As much as it pains me to not finish a book, I have to with this series. So, even though I may never find ...more
Beth
Nov 11, 2013 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very cheesy writing and somewhat unbelievable characters almost made me give up on this book, but something kept me listening (during my drive to and from work). In the end, I must say that in spite of all the cheesiness and the unbelievable characters, etc. I was drawn into the story. But then again, I am easily entertained and less picky during my morning commute than I am with my nighttime reading. The end was clearly written to get you to read the next in the trilogy. I won't be doing it!
Paul Lima
Sep 18, 2013 Paul Lima rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I admit, I gave up. Not sure what was worse, the writing or the plot, or the character interaction. I'm not even sure how to describe the book, not even in a full sentence or two. Just want to say I read 4 chapters, skipped to the last two and barely skimmed them. Just couldn't care about who did what to whom....
Kmmoy
Aug 10, 2013 Kmmoy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book
I don't know why I continue to read this series. It started out so good, but now....the story lines are predictable, and the writing is bad--almost juvenile. I guess I just want to see what happens next. Not planning to waste any more time on this series.
Chantal
This was an enjoyable read, and I find myself looking forward to the next book but I am not so sure about this series anymore. The supernatural aspects seem to be overtaking the plots and characters, almost changing the genre. I completely understand suspending reality when reading, but the usage of the supernatural elements seem to keep going more extreme with each new book. I always enjoyed the Bonnie connection, but it seems like any new character has some supernatural ability. And these abil ...more
Ricki
Sep 24, 2013 Ricki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually started reading this book about a week ago....It really is not a good book at all! Be aware if you buy this book you are buying one third of a complete story line. (and it is the middle third) After finishing Talking Eve most readers would wonder where the rest of the book was. After struggling through the first half of Hunting Eve (which covers only a few days time) I kept waiting for the story line to pick up the pace...It didn't. If you haven't read Taking Eve yet I think you will ...more
Kathie
Jul 21, 2013 Kathie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This trilogy is not nearly as good as the Eve, Bonnie, and Quinn trilogy. There is too much of a reliance on the supernatural and less effort toward writing the suspenseful tale she use to do time after time. Will I read the 3rd book when it comes in? Probably. But I won't be holding my breath waiting for it to be released.
Nancy
Aug 20, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After having read all the books in this series, I was disappointed in this one. Seems like everyone from all the other books had to be included. The paranormal talents of each is a bit overplayed.
Andreasoldier
Nov 07, 2013 Andreasoldier rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I told myself I wouldn't read anymore of these, but its like being addicted. I know its bad but I can't help myself. At least there's only one left, supposedly.
Eve escapes her kidnapper and is on the run. Meanwhile her lover Joe, their adopted daughter and her ex-lover and wanna-be lover, plus some other friends are trying to locate Eve or her kidnapper before he kills her.
Way to much woo-woo — even suspending some belief, this stuff is hard to take on faith. Bad dialogue, bad plotting. Johanse
Tanya
Jul 17, 2013 Tanya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like a 3.5 stars (not the best I have read but still worth reading).

I have read all the Eve Duncan books to date and have enjoyed them all. After reading "Taking Eve" I felt that the whole Eve Duncan series may be getting a little old and after reading this book, I still feel the same way. That being said I did enjoy this book much more than "Taking Eve". I found it more fast pace and I had a hard time putting the book down.

Like the first book in this triology, I did find the writing a bi
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Now I know why this arc is three long books. Lots of stuff for a cohesive storyline. I liked how Eve didn't give up. And she is a do-gooder as Zander says. It will be interesting to see how Zander's character plays out. It is always a thrill to see Kendra pick things up about people. I wish I was as observation as she is. And it would be nice to be like Margaret who is an animal whisperer. It would be hard to decide which one I like better.

The story moves at a decent pace even if the characters
Alex is The Romance Fox
The plot keeps getting more exciting with the 2nd book in this Trilogy - about Even Duncan. She's definitely one of my favorite heroines in this genre.

After being left with the nail-biting cliffhanger in Taking Eve, I couldn't wait for this book...the story keeps me hanging from the edge of my seat...as usual.

After escaping from the evil Doane, Eve is now being hunted as his prey and we get to see what she's capable of doing without any help from anyone. She's on her own, whilst everyone close t
Melissa
Aug 04, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suspense Readers
This is a typical Eve Duncan novel, filled with lots of twists, turns, and suspense. However, this book was just a tension builder for the final book of this Eve Duncan Trilogy. There were many filler snippets ... we learned a bit more about Zander, Stang, and Caleb. I liked how Kendra and Margaret's friendship was building. I do believe the Eve Duncan series is starting to wear thin. It may be time to put this series to rest. I was disappointed that the last Eve Duncan Trilogy felt like it migh ...more
Joan
Sep 16, 2013 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I think Johansen has lost her way. I have accepted that Eve talks to Bonnie, but now she has people who can move blood to heal, talk to animals and has extreme senses because she was blind. Eve has been kidnapped by Doane who wants her to reassemble his son's skull. He thinks with the skull reassembled his son, Kevin will come back to life. Eve senses danger in the skull. Eve senses that Kevin is a threat to her dead daughter, Bonnie. All Eve's friends are trying to save her. I was upset with th ...more
Marsha Hubbell
"Hunting Eve" is the second in anothern Eve Duncan trilogy. I am a long-time fan of Iris Johansen, but the dialogue in this series is absurd. Except for Margaret, a wonderful new character who communicates with animals, the women are all harsh sounding, the men smarmy. Granted there is a life and death search going on for Eve, but the dialogue keeps taking me out of the action instead of drawing me in. I agree with some critics who say this story line is going on far too long, but I am curious, ...more
Teri
Aug 06, 2013 Teri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Eve Duncan books by Iris Johansen are one of my favorite series. However, I find this latest set which is written as a series frustrating. The books are not that long taking only a day or two to read and end in places where there is no resolution. I much prefer the stand alone books written by Johansen.
Vi MacDonald
Aug 15, 2013 Vi MacDonald rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very boring. I like taking eve. Last 75 pages were interesting rest is hours I won't get back
Wondering if last of trilogy will finally be the last of eve Duncan. Author has done many other very successful books some with her son. Author needs to move on. At $32/book silencing eve is my last book I'm moving on
Phyllis
Always enjoy Iris Johansen's books, this one not so much. I was really looking forward to her new trilogy, Taking Eve, Hunting Eve, Silencing Eve. Just finished Hunting Eve and I was a little disappointed. Was very hard for me to get thru it. It seemed like Eve and Joe were sort of lost in this one. Hope the last one in the trilogy is better.
Jan Williams
This series is a tad "out there" for me- do not believe I will read any more. Iris Johannson used to be one of my favorite authors, but there I believe there is too much on the EVE character at this point-
I really enjoyed the earlier books written by this author. I will have to shelve her upcoming books for awhile before I try them again.
Roberta Emerson
Spoiler alert...not really. But it's a trilogy dealing with the kidnapping of the protagonist of nearly all of the author's books; this is volume 2 of 3...guess what!? They didn't rescue her! I'm afraid I care little about the result. Alive or dead in volume 3, I'm so done with this author after that!
Gevera Bert
This was terrible. So full of filler. I ended up skipping quickly through the last third just to see how it ended. Hopefully the third one will be better. Seems like this could have been 1 fat book with less extraneous stuff instead of 3.
Bella123
Dec 04, 2015 Bella123 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the audio of this book and was surprised it received the rating it did. I did not enjoy it very much and found it a struggle to finish. For me the writing is poor and the storyline confusing. Won't be rushing to read another book in this series.
Aleeshas2
Only just realised this was part of a series. The writing was so blunt and simplistic that I still understood the storyline, however this made the writing very bland and monotonous. Alot of just stating facts and thoughts and the actual descriptions were weak to non-existent.
Pam
Aug 25, 2013 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading this, I thought whoa I've had enough of this. I have read all the Eve Duncan books and am a little tired of what a superior person Eve is. Anyway I soon got caught up in the story. It ends with another cliffhanger. I'm sure ill read the next one, too.
Around the Year i...: Hunting Eve, by Iris Johansen 1 11 Aug 07, 2016 07:43AM
  • Bombshell (FBI Thriller, #17)
  • Ready to Die (To Die, #5)
  • The Night Is Alive (Krewe of Hunters, #10)
  • Hostage (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #14)
  • The Last Kiss Goodbye (Dr. Charlotte Stone, #2)
  • Cold Snap (Lucy Kincaid, #7)
  • The 1st Victim (Kovac and Liska, #3.5)
  • Stranded (Maggie O'Dell, #11)
  • Deadly Stakes (Ali Reynolds, #8)
  • The Shadow Tracer
  • Thankless in Death (In Death, #37)
  • No Way to Kill a Lady (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #8)
Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great su ...more
More about Iris Johansen...

Eve Duncan (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Face Of Deception (Eve Duncan, #1)
  • The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2)
  • The Search (Eve Duncan, #3)
  • Body of Lies (Eve Duncan, #4)
  • Blind Alley (Eve Duncan, #5)
  • Countdown (Eve Duncan, #6)
  • Stalemate (Eve Duncan, #7)
  • Quicksand (Eve Duncan, #8)
  • Blood Game (Eve Duncan, #9)
  • Eight Days To Live (Eve Duncan, #10)