Start by marking “Minerva Wakes” as Want to Read:
Minerva Wakes

Minerva Wakes

Suburban housewife Minerva and her kids are trapped in alternate universes, all because her Celtic wedding ring controls ultimate power -- and both sides in a cosmic struggle won't hesitate to kill her to get it!
Published December 1st 1993 by Baen Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Minerva Wakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minerva Wakes

Werner
Jun 24, 2008 Werner rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
Lisle is a writer I'd never read before; but, intrigued by the theme of a mother putting her life on the line to rescue her kidnapped kids, I bought this book at a flea market as a Mother's Day gift for my wife. When the type proved too small for her to read comfortably, I agreed to read it aloud to her. That proved to be fortunate; by common consent, I normally edit out the cussing in books I read out loud. Since this book is significantly flawed by bad language, including a number of uses of t ...more
Anne
Jun 16, 2007 Anne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy/sci-fi readers
If you've ever felt as if you were meant for so much more when going about your boring day to day routine. If you've ever had children of any kind you'd give your life to protect. If you've ever had dreams and a creative spirit. AND/OR if you love a good fantasy story with a unique twist...

Then this book is for you. Once again Holly Lisle creates a world that believably drags you in and keeps you there until the last page is turned. It's mostly fun and festive, with a little bit of the "remember
DavidO
Jun 04, 2009 DavidO rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
There are a lot of things that'll drive me nuts abotu a book. I'm a finicky reader, and I'll admit it. The buttons this one pushed was that the protagonist was whiny, which gets old very fast. Also, it portrayed people shopping at a grocery store as evil. I grocery shop all the time and the people there are just regular people, not evil. I guess it was supposed to be funny or make me care about the protagonist's situation, but I found it over the top in a dull sort of way.
Elyce
Mar 18, 2013 Elyce rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I chose this book because I read Holly Lisle's Talyn and I wanted to read more from this author. The ridiculous 90's costume on the main character was also irresistable. The back cover promised a confusing mix of intrigue and adventure, with no one knowing who to trust.

The only thing the back cover got right was the confusion. The premise was sloppy at best, the main characters started boring and transformed into unbelievable, and the plot is full of holes. The universe lacks consistency.

The bo
Unwisely
Mar 10, 2011 Unwisely rated it liked it
Some books are aimed squarely at me. This one is ... not. The protagonist is 31, married 11 years, 3 kids. All things which are not remotely connected to my life. Yet despite the utter lack of connection with the lifestyles, motives, and aspirations of the characters, (and the goofy Art Is King philosophy, beloved by devotees of Rent), this book was kind of fun. A mindless trifle, but one that was engaging enough for me to finish, as opposed to many, which I can't get through two chapters of. (M ...more
Jennifer Heise
Oct 24, 2016 Jennifer Heise rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A very 80s/90s type of fantasy, with some serious and some funny elements. Minerva and Darryl are creative types whose life has gone astray in the pursuit of normalcy. Until their 3 children are stolen by monsters... because the couple was meant to combat the UnWeaver of worlds, and, well hasn't. Maybe they can't. They were chosen by mistake. But can they get their children back? Can they defeat the Unweaver? Can Minerva stop whining and Darryl stop feeling sorry for himself?

Ok, a good idea, co
Ashley
May 27, 2009 Ashley rated it liked it
This is a book I found in my grandma's box of books left behind after she moved out our house when I was in High School. Knowing where I found it, I am still amazed that I read this book (that tells you something about how bored I was that summer), but I am even more suprised that I actually enjoyed the book.

I don't remember a ton about the book, but I remember thinking it was original, a great idea, and done really well. I would probably give the book 3.5 stars if I could. There were a few par
Michelle
Jul 16, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book really appealed to my artistic/creative side. More than that, though, was the message that even the "wrong" person can be the right person if the situation required it. I love the travel between worlds, the rediscovery of passions and talents, and the message to never let go of your dreams. And I LOVE Minerva's view of the world. How many books are going to open with the main character imagining a machine gun on her shopping cart to mow down her hated boss while waiting in a super mark ...more
Squee
Feb 18, 2012 Squee rated it it was ok
I read this a couple years ago, so my review is based on the lingering impressions this book left me. For starters, the husband was a wishy-washy, cheating jerk who never really owned up for his infidelity. In fact, I believe the wife never found out, which seemed like both a cop-out and a wasted opportunity for character development and needed closure. I felt sympathy for the harried and determined mom at times, but the kids were over-kiddie-fied to the point of being cutesy and annoying. The a ...more
J. King
Jul 26, 2012 J. King rated it it was amazing
Not as awing as some of Holly's other work, but still at her worst outdoes most other authors, in this not-so-humble reader's opinion.

At the center of this fantasy lies the moral that to create is man's highest calling, and therefore, every time we allow our dreams to be quashed, we by default yield to entropy that mission which God created us to accomplish.
Auntie M
Aug 02, 2013 Auntie M rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I wasn't sure at the beginning because the main character and her husband were unloving and bored with each other, but not doing anything about it. Or talking about it. Luckily, it picked up.

I liked it so much that I hope to read more by Holly Lisle. Any suggestions?
Simeonberesford
Dec 28, 2010 Simeonberesford rated it liked it
Minerva mother of three and stuck in boring marriage. Is beaten to the last bag of Wheaties by a dragon and before she knows it her Kids are being held in another universe so she sets of to rescue them. Familiar theme about the importance of creativity. in opposing entropy is rather spoilt by the fluffiness. You never feel anyone is in serious danger. The humour falls flat for me.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
One of my earlier fantasy books I read and I liked it. I like how a "soccer" mom is suddenly thrown into a totally new world. I enjoy the struggle to survive and protect. My kind of book, even if I had no kids nor will ever be a mom.
Angel
Jun 17, 2009 Angel rated it liked it
A fun and light read. You must like fantasy to enjoy it, she does a nice combination of the real world and an alternate with dragons :)
Andee Browne
Because sometimes grown-ups with three kids need Bildungsroman too. Especially hilarious ones.
Safae BL
Safae BL rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2008
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2011
Jocelyn
Jocelyn rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2007
lahvyndr
Jul 19, 2010 lahvyndr rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, pulp
Oh, marriage.
Preserve your sense of magic to preserve your marriage.
Kate Wallace
Kate Wallace rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2013
Kat Klein
Kat Klein rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2015
Marie Madigan
Marie Madigan rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2016
Amy-chan
Amy-chan rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2012
April
April rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2011
Phyereneyce
Phyereneyce rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2012
  • Glenraven (Glenraven, #1)
  • The Otherworld (SERRAted Edge, #2-3)
  • Timeless Healing
  • Bronwyn's Bane
  • Dagger's Point (Shadow & Dagger, #5)
  • The True Knight (Warhorse of Esdragon, #3)
  • The Blackgod (Children of the Changeling, #2)
  • Herotica: A Collection of Women's Erotic Fiction
  • Dream Dancer (Kerrion Empire, #1)
  • Med Ship (Med Service, #1-4)
  • Shadowlight (Loremasters of Elundium, #3)
  • Retief in the Ruins (Retief, #13)
  • Here There Be Dragonnes (Pigs Don't Fly, #1-3)
  • Sin and Vengeance
  • The Cloak of Night and Daggers (Twelve Treasures, #3)
  • Dragon Prince, the Star Scroll, Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince, #1-3)
  • Spiritwalk
  • The Sorcerer's Lady (Sorcerer, #1)
Holly Lisle has been writing fiction professionally since 1991, when she sold FIRE IN THE MIST, the novel that won her the Compton Crook Award for best first novel. She has to date published more than thirty novels and several comprehensive writing courses. She has just published WARPAINT, the second stand-alone novel in her Cadence Drake series.

Holly had an ideal childhood for a writer…which is t
More about Holly Lisle...