Start by marking “Champagne for Buzzards (Sherri Travis Mysteries, #4)” as Want to Read:
Champagne for Buzzards (Sherri Travis Mysteries, #4)

Champagne for Buzzards (A Sherri Travis Mystery #4)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  13 reviews

ebook
Published 2011 by Phyllis Smallman

To ask other readers questions about Champagne for Buzzards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Champagne for Buzzards

Kathy
This is the first novel in the Sherri Travis Mystery series that I have read although it is the fourth book. It is preceded by Margarita Nights, Sex in a Sidecar and A Brewski For The Old Man. It is not necessary to have read the first three to enjoy this book. I wish I had as Sherri Travis is a wonderful, spunky character that I'm looking forward to learning more about.

Sherri Travis, our heroine, owns and manages a bar called The Sunset in Jacaranda, Florida. Although Sherri grew up on the wron
Nora-adrienne
Jul 26, 2011 Nora-adrienne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Nora-adrienne by: The AuthorSh
Shelves: mystery
Champagne for Buzzards
By Phyllis Smallman
Copyright March 2011
Publisher MacArthur & Co.

With its seven-foot snakes and nasty horses, Florida ranch country can be as dangerous as the mean streets of any big city. Bartender Sherri Travis doesn’t do country. Temporarily holed up at her partner Clay Adams’ ranch, Sherri likes the country even less when she meets Clay Adams’ psychotic neighbors and finds a dead man in the back of her pickup.
The murder investigation takes a sinister turn when Sher
Lou Allin
Circling buzzards are not a good sign. That’s what Sherri Travis learns in her fourth adventure in this entertaining series. When bars have names like The Gator Hole and girls are called Lovey Sweet, you must be in Florida.
Sherri is a fast-talking, wise-cracking young woman who’d rather polish the bar at her Jacaranda tavern on the Gulf side than shop for fashion accessories. She’s happier with beer and a burger than caviar and cognac. Money’s tight, but she loves her customers and the laid-bac
Toni Osborne
Book 4, in the Sherri Travis mystery

This has been an ever pleasing series right from the start and is still on an uphill curve. The characters are the driving force and are continuously fine-tuned to keep up with each new adventure they face. I like this series for its sharp and funny dialogue and the smooth seductive way the author brings you into the heat of the action. The writing is precise and to the point and comes across in a Southern manner: slow, laid back, drink in hand enjoying the mo
Gloria Feit
In the fourth of Phyllis Smallman’s Sherri Travis mysteries, the protagonist, who co-owns a restaurant/bar with her lover, Clay Adams, is planning his surprise birthday party at his ranch, 300 acres of jungle in Riverwood, Florida, near that state’s west coast. The title derives from the fact that champagne is high on her shopping list, the ‘buzzards’ part from those unexpected carrion birds who have discovered and feasted upon a body under the tarp covering the back of her pickup truck [The tru ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This novel is the 4th in the series, but the first that I have read. I found the main character, Sherri Travis, a complex person. She appears to be a person raised in a lower class trailer community but has pulled herself up and found an older man she loves. They co-own a bar/restaurant.

To show her love for her man, Clay Adams, Sherri plans on throwing him a fancy surprise Birthday party. There are blocks to her plans, but none so scary as an apparent man hunt going on that is involving the acre
McArthur and Company
Readers of Sara Paretsky and Janet Evanovich are sure to find their next favourite author in Phyllis Smallman. Smart, sassy and from the wrong side of town, Florida bartender Sherri Travis just can't help finding trouble wherever she goes.

A review from the National Post says, "the writing keeps getting tighter, and Smallman knows how to crank up the reader’s tension. The dialogue is often sharp and funny, and her portrayal of Florida and its residents seems spot on. Champagne for Buzzards and i
Phyllis
Mar 08, 2013 Phyllis added it  ·  (Review from the author)
With its seven foot snakes and nasty horses, Florida ranch country can be as dangerous as the mean streets of any big city. Sherri Travis doesn't do country. She likes it even less when she meets Clay Adam's psychotic neighbors and finds a dead man in the back of her pickup. With fairy lights dancing through the Spanish moss and violent men closing in, the surprise party Sherri plans for Clay turns deadly.

(less)
Diana
I loved this book, especially the last 75 pages. Sherri is driving around and buzzards keep diving into the back of her truck. She finally investigates and finds a dead body. There is a click in town with the sheriff and the Breslaus, especially Boomer who vows to outright kill Sherri for embarrassing him and putting her nose where it does not belong.
Hella Comat
Sherri Travis, and this is her third adventure (although my first), wonders why buzzards are flocking to the back of her pickup truck. It turns out that a dead body has been left there. Set in Florida ranch country, this is one of those light mysteries that you read at the airport and don't mind at all if you leave the book there by mistake.
Beverly
Loved it! Fast read, fast paced, fast moving!
Phyllis Smallman is awesome and she makes me feel as if I am back in Florida. The story had me on the edge till the end.
Awesome!! Totally awesome!! What trouble will Sherri Travis get into next? I can hardly wait!
Penny
This was a great read. I like the way she wove the issue of Human Trafficking and Slavery into an exciting storyline, a subject that needs to be openly addressed by many, many more people and governments worldwide!! Kudos Phyllis, job well done!!
Annie
pretty awful - perky, southern US, not my sort at all.
Joan Vincent
Joan Vincent marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Catz
Catz marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
series awards 1 4 Jan 07, 2011 11:07AM
Margarita Nights (Sherri Travis Mysteries, #1) Sex in a Sidecar (Sherri Travis Mysteries, #2) A Brewski For The Old Man (Sherri Travis Mysteries, #3) Highball Exit Jack Daniels And Tea (The Sherri Travis Mystery Series)