Start by marking “Positron (Episodes, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Positron (Episodes, #1-3)

Positron (Positron #1-3)

In the saucy but sinister Byliner Serial "Positron," Booker Prize-winning author Margaret Atwood takes readers on a thrill ride to the near future, where a totalitarian state collides with the chaos of human desire.

"As seamless as a stocking, and shockingly believable" is how "The Globe and Mail" describes "I'm Starved for You," the first episode of Positron. In it Atwood
Published December 2012 by Byliner Serials

Josh Ang
Oct 21, 2013 Josh Ang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Margaret Atwood write a salacious novel? Gasp! Well, not quite, but close enough. "Positron" is a serialised e-book set in an what some critics have called an Orwellian future where the chaotic state of crime and lawlessness has almost pushed the average American suburban neighbourhood into the fringes, and the overflowing prisons are no longer able to effectively contain the seedier elements who threaten the rest of the population.

In order to restore some semblance of stability and safety, an
Jun 30, 2016 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gobbled up these three episodes in three sittings. I can't wait for episode number four!

What will happen to poor Stan? What will happen to bubble-headed Charmaine? And what's with the weird relationship between Phil and Jocelyn?

In these three episodes, Atwood has managed to make me a believer in serialized stories.
Margaret Atwood is writing a serialized dystopian story? Here's all my money! Give me each episode as it's published please!

Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale is one of my favorite novels of all time, and her Oryx and Crake trilogy is excellent. When I came across this series of three chapters browsing the "Kindle Shorts" website, I purchased it immediately and devoured it in three days. Written for the online site Byliner in an effort to bring back serialized fiction, the story picked up steam after
I read Margaret Atwood's I'm Starved For You over a year ago not knowing (or who knows what the original plan/intent was?) that it was going to be an on-going series. While I thought that short-story was a quite nice standalone work with a helluva kicker of an ending, l was curious to see where it would go. But know having now read this omnibus of sorts of the first 3 "episodes" -- a re-read of Starved, plus Choke Collar and Erase Me -- I am thinking I should have left well enough alone.

I still
Nov 25, 2014 Cateline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Positron by Margaret Atwood 3.5/5

The "book" consists of four novellas. I'm Starved For You, Choke Collar, Erase Me, and The Heart Goes Last.

Dystopian setting, rather Orwellian. Our protagonists, a married couple, live in what I believe the closest I can come it would be called a Company Town. Atwood has a fine sense of the bizarre, and I could almost call this a Bizarro World setting. For those unfamiliar with that concept, here is a wiki link to explain. http://en.wikipedia....i/Bizarro_World

Dec 15, 2013 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first and third episodes of this serialized story were quite good, but there was a bit of a lull in the second episode. Atwood has introduced an interesting -- though credulity straining -- dystopia. If anything, the peculiar mechanics of the story's world will serve as an interesting plot device. They also provide an opportunity for commentary on the increasingly corporatized prison system, though whether or not that opportunity will be seized is still an open question.

By the end of the thi
May 16, 2013 Jennie rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook, dystopia, 2013
This is a future society in which the residents spend one month in prison and one month as a regular citizen. I have to say I’m glad I bought the 3 episodes together otherwise I wouldn’t have continued after the first one. The second episode picks up in pace and it’s when the plot starts to thicken. The conspiracy begins to reveal itself and what seems to be their perfect world isn’t as it seems. It would seem that regardless of the future society that power can lead to corruption and greed. I h ...more
Jul 12, 2013 Cori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book because Amazon tricked me into believing that the latest MaddAdam book was available. I'm a huge MA fan and really needed a fix, so I thought 3.99, I'll give it a shot. After five pages, I felt like I was in the middle of a Philip K Dick novel- which is awesome! The premise is pretty cool, though not thoroughly flushed out. I do like the idea of the normal people imprisoned and the criminals running wild on the outside- very Halliburton prison industrial complex. So these were ...more
I'm not sure if I liked this or not. The story was an easy read and I love dystopian fiction, even if you can't seem to find a book that is NOT a dystopian story these days! I just didn't understand the society Atwood created. I don't really understand the need for the prison side of this community. It seems unnecessary in the face of the type of communal living Consilience is trying to achieve.
Maybe the other stories will make things more clear.
This first story is really just an introduction to
April (The Steadfast Reader)
GREAT little serial novellas by Margaret Atwood. Takes place in a near future dystopia where everyone spends a month in prison and then a month in town as a 'civilian'. Everything is monitored and peaceful. You get three meals a day, a job, and a place to lay your head every night. The catch. Once you sign into this experimental new town, Consilience, you can't get out.

Has elements that feel a little reminiscent of 'The Handmaid's Tale' in it.

The story isn't over yet. Bet your bottom dollar I'm
Jan 12, 2014 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read Atwood's "Handmaid's Tale," and told myself I'd get around to her other stories. By comparison, Positron isn't really like that book at all. It is weird, but not so weird that I think this is groundbreaking for a dystopian society. Feels like Stepford Wives meets 1984 meets Parable of the Sower in a way, but more tongue-in-cheek and lighter. It is humorous and wry. I don't particularly care for the short episodic format. I'd rather this were novel length instead of a series of short-st ...more
Feb 14, 2013 Gloria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is in e-book form (or downloaded from the Web) only, not available in Real Book far as I can tell. Sci Fi by Atwood is usually intelligently and imaginatively conceived. This one's fun, too: about a time a little in the future where almost no one can find or hold a job, where material goods are scarce, violence get the picture. Big Government comes up with full employment plan and sets up a test run, volunteers only (but no going back once you've volunteered), and it involves ...more
Molly Taylor
The world of the series is captivating but I wanted a tad more exposition about how & why things got so bad outside Positron which would help me understand why someone would ever sign on to be a part of it. Also I didn't exactly like either of the main characters and didn't have as much sympathy for them as maybe I needed to really love this. But I will be reading the next installments!!
Apr 03, 2013 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia
I don't know about this. None of the characters are likeable nor particularly interesting. And when they're placed in a setting that strains credibility, well, I'm not in a rush to continue into the next episodes. But as a devotee of Atwood the Great and Powerful, I'll probably give her the benefit of the doubt and finish it when the next episode(s) come out.
Sep 12, 2013 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure where this is going, but I am very curious to find out -- just bought #4.

The only thing that annoys me is the catching-up expository ... I know it's a serial, but when you read them all right in a row it seems awkward to rehash the plot of the previous episode. That said, she does it reasonably elegantly.
Jan 19, 2013 jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Really more of four stars, because Margaret Atwood is the queen of tasteful (read: literary) sci-fi, in my Little BoPeep opinion, but at the same time, nothing here to be totally passionate about. I do love that Atwood is doing serial e-episodes, Dickensian in the digital age. She's such a mirthful one!
Susan Lowes
May 05, 2013 Susan Lowes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why oh why did I start reading this? I love Atwood's work, especially the more dystopian books. I knew I'd get hooked - and now I'm stuck in the middle of this serialised novel, madly waiting the next instalment. Please release the next episode!
Samantha Davenport
I just love this series. It evokes both the serial fiction of Conan Doyle/Dickens days and the Golden Age of science fiction yet is completely current. Very intriguing dystopian set-up. Well-paced and delightfully gritty. I have a particular fondness for the recurring evil knitting motif.
Mark Patterson
Nov 29, 2015 Mark Patterson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-2010s
A story of marriage troubles, government troubles, and struggle and control on every conceivable level. Toys with idea that ignorance is the only true freedom.

Bought this a while ago, before Byliner went under, and now I can't even get my grubby hands on Episode 4.

But no regrets.
In the same future as MaddAdam, but not as good as the trilogy. And interesting reflection on marriage and on how the difference between everyday life isn't that distinct.
Michelle Smith
Dec 30, 2013 Michelle Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious! It was a cracker. Margaret Atwood letting loose in a real fantasy style story. I do so love her writing. Loved the twists.
Really interesting, as always. But the serial nature has made it less clean and tied together than her other books. I will keep reading, though, for the interesting world!
Jan 09, 2014 Nancie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is part of a new genre of episodic e-books published over a period of time. It's not Atwood's best, but even sub-par, she writes about dystopia better than anyone else.
Nov 10, 2013 Fiona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I love every word Margaret Atwood has ever written but this is brilliant. A more adult version of Handmaids tale? Dystopian fiction by the master!
Feb 15, 2016 Rainey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: _10-canadian
I loved this first story in this series. Delighted to find out there are more episodes. It didn't disappoint. Anxiously awaiting the rest of the series.
Dec 26, 2014 Miranda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Atwood - a dystopian vision in her usual, skilled, darkly humorous style. Very good, with some interesting ideas about the future in there.
Craig Werner
The first three episodes of an e-book serial, these stories set up a dystopian future, establishing the characters and the dramatic tension. I'll definitely keep reading.
Laura Radiker
Laura Radiker rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2013
Alison rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Crista rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2014
Where can I buy this? 1 2 Jul 26, 2015 09:43PM
  • Ectopia
  • The Thing about Great White Sharks: And Other Stories
  • Some of the Best from 2012 Edition
  • Cleaning Up (Karma, #2)
  • World-Mart
  • The Highbury Murders: A Mystery Set in the Village of Jane Austen's Emma
  • The Man with the Electrified Brain
  • Beside Myself
  • Return of the Pale Feather (Time Walkers, #2)
  • The Waters of Eternity (The Chronicles of Sword and Sand, #1.5)
  • Some of the Best From, 2013 Edition
  • Lincoln in the Bardo
  • The Best American Mystery Stories of the Century
  • The Pirates of Pacta Servanda (The Pillars of Reality, #4)
  • Devoured
  • You Were Never Really Here
  • Daylight On Iron Mountain (Chung Kuo Recast, #2)
Margaret Atwood was born in 1939 in Ottawa and grew up in northern Ontario, Quebec, and Toronto. She received her undergraduate degree from Victoria College at the University of Toronto and her master's degree from Radcliffe College.

Throughout her writing career, Margaret Atwood has received numerous awards and honourary degrees. She is the author of more than thirty-five volumes of poetry, childr
More about Margaret Atwood...

Positron (5 books)
  • I'm Starved for You (Positron, #1)
  • Choke Collar (Positron, #2)
  • Erase Me (Positron, #3)
  • The Heart Goes Last (Positron, #4)
  • Moppet Shop (Positron, #5)