Start by marking “Jake” as Want to Read:
Jake

Jake

Jealousy, lust, and teenage insecurities are the lifeblood of any large school.

Loneliness can strike without warning, spreading through the cramped corridors like an epidemic.

Out on the playground, rivalries are formed from the pettiest of incidents.

Some people look at Jake in awe, others look at him with hatred.

Jake is just an ordinary boy who wants to be liked.

Jake wants
Published March 9th 2013 (first published March 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Jake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jake

Jonathan Hill
Mar 15, 2013 Jonathan Hill rated it it was amazing
I read 'Jake' over the course of a week and, during that time, the character really got under my skin. Throughout a lot of the book, nothing spectacular actually happens. It's a fairly mundane account of a teenager growing up in family and school life. This is not a negative, though. The writing is beautiful and perfectly captures the thoughts of a teenage boy, his awkwardness around family, friends and his new girlfriend. It feels very true to real life and, at times, it is painfully real.

The o
Carly
Mar 21, 2013 Carly rated it it was amazing
I think I'm in shock. I don't know what to say.

The first half of Jake is the normal day to day recount of an average teenage boy. The events are boring and everyday things with no real importance and yet not at all hard or tedious to read. I actually found the conversations between the boys and the natural progression from topic to topic fascinating, it was so realistic and despite me being 24 years old now I felt I might be sitting in my school uniform listening in.

Jake leads you into a false
Farah
Apr 04, 2013 Farah rated it liked it
The main thought going through my head during the first 200 pages of the book (I read the epub version) was that if you want to read about someone whose life is duller than yours, then Jake is the book for you!

Basically, the first bunch of chapters are a drag through. They are over written, and quite dull. Jake has a perfect life. Jake has a perfect family. Jake has friends. Jake is childish. Jake has anxiety issues. It's all really quite frustrating and you just want something to happen because
Gabby
Mar 09, 2013 Gabby rated it it was ok
Shelves: arr-r2r-r4r
*WARNING: This review may have spoilers, but big ones will be marked.*

Favourite character: (view spoiler) Ben

Actual Rating: Okay, I'm going to be honest by saying my feelings are all over the place about this novel. So I’m leaving it at "It was okay"

Now if you're like me and enjoy happy books with happy endings, then don't read this one. I really expected a happy book for this one, and to be honest, the blurb gives no warning about what it is about or how depressing
WickedLovely1
May 20, 2013 WickedLovely1 rated it really liked it
*I received this book from the author, via Goodreads, in exchange for an honest review*

This is a story of Jake, a normal teenage boy trying to live a normal teenage life. He deals with insecurity, learns to appreciate family, and learns to love...
Then some very unexpected things happen to him, and he must learn to cope, or not.

This book is both funny and sad, hopeful and tragic.

There were only a few things that I didn't like about the book. The author had me very confused as to Jake's actual ag
Melanie Cusick-Jones
May 14, 2013 Melanie Cusick-Jones rated it it was amazing
4.5* for me - but I round up!

Michael Cargill 'gets' people - now I'm not sure whether he gets everyone, or that he writes about people whose brains work very like mine, but with each book of his I've read (Jake being the third), regardless of the plot or setting, it is the characters and their realistic behaviour that stands out for me. Jake is the same, and perhaps the most realistic and relatable of all Cargill's characters I've met so far.

For much of the book you follow Jake through his dai
Bee {Quite the Novel Idea}
Oh my god... That's about the only thing I can come up with right now...

This is the story about Jake. Jake, a normal teenage boy with a normal life. life at home is great, he has parents who love him and a cute little brother called Ben. He has a couple of friends and life is just good for him. And boring. This story was soooo boring in the beginning. I could not focus on it and was constantly distracted. But then he meets Kim. And then I came near the end. And then my heart broke. A couple of t
Sheri
Aug 10, 2013 Sheri rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Jake is just an ordinary boy who wants to be liked.

This sentence sums up Jake pretty well. The story of Jake is the story of a pretty ordinary teenage boy going through his ordinary day to day life. I think that is what makes this book interesting, the fact that Jake is just like the kid next door…or just like you. He has a good home, a nice life, and satisfying friendships. He is not some secret superpower waiting to be discovered – he's just Jake.

The characters are well written and believable
MaryAnn
Apr 02, 2013 MaryAnn rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, arc-drcs, ya
I must admit I'm struggling to find the right words to say for this book. I found the beginning of the book to be a bit slow as the character of Jake is defined and explored via the various significant relationships in his life. There were a couple of times that I thought there was details mentioned that lead me to believe that it would become a critical part of the plot conclusion, but it just never quite built the way I expected it to.

I thought Jake's character was developed very well, I just
Joo
Mar 16, 2013 Joo rated it really liked it
Now here's a book of two halves. This is the tale of Jake. He's a teenage boy with two parents and a little brother. He has a nice life, home is great, he has some friends in school, he isn't really bullied, so far so boring. Most of this book is just Jake's day to day life. I'm not a teenage boy and have never been, nor wanted to be, a teenage boy, so even though it was a nice read, it wasn't anything special.

The characters in this story are really well written. Little brother Ben is just so de
J.R. Barker
Oct 28, 2015 J.R. Barker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feels

I read most of this thinking; here's a nice teenage boy going through life, not much happening, just about a normal kid living his life and fluffing stuff up like any normal kid, but still it's well told.

I didn't get too bored, it was a nice story I could dip in and out of.

3/4 of the way through and things are much the same; life's looking up for Jake and I feel like I've sort of become one of the family in a strange way, but I still wasn't certain if anything was going to happen.

Then Wham.

Rig
爱心❤
Mar 09, 2013 爱心❤ rated it liked it
I first read this as a proofreader and it didn't disappoint me one bit! The start was a bit confusing, like is this about someone's life or is something else going to happen? and also a little slow paced. However, as the pace picked up, it became a very interesting book, and I enjoyed it a lot.
Thanks Michael for giving me the opportunity to read and edit this book. I am honored to have taken part in the making of this book.
Victoria Zigler
Mar 25, 2013 Victoria Zigler rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book. The character creation is done well, and the plot moves at a reasonable pace, though some may find the start of the book to be a little slow.

A small warning though: some of the contents of this book may not be suitable for all who fall in to the young adult audience (especially those at the lower end of the age group).
Melissa ownsbey
Jan 12, 2015 Melissa ownsbey rated it it was amazing
wow what a good book i didnt like a certain thing that happened
in the book but it was still a good book
ill keep this book and reread this book

thank youfor giveing me the book to review
Helga
Oct 12, 2013 Helga rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*I was provided a copy of Jake by the author in exchange for an honest review*

This may contain a lot of spoilers...

____________________________________

I think that overall the book wasn't bad, it was simply okay.
The beginning started off a little slow, were we were just introduced to his life. Jake simply had a very ordinary life, with all of his days being somewhat the same, with the same routine, which was repetitive.

To me personally the book simply tried to cover a lot of events in Jakes li
Hollyberry
Jun 23, 2013 Hollyberry rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-s, own
*I was provided a copy of Jake by the author in exchange for an honest review*

I think that this is the first time that I am so unsettled by a book that I don't know what to say, and that is not a good thing. The first hundred or so pages could have been told in less than 30, it was just way too repetitive, and I was 1 chapter away from making it a did-not-finish book. In all those pages we were introduced to Jake, his family, and friends at school. It was all about his regular everyday activity,
J.R. Barker
Nov 14, 2015 J.R. Barker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feels

I didn't get too bored, it was a nice story I could dip in and out of.

Then Wham.

Right
Sharon
Apr 16, 2013 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: april-2013
I spent most of the book trying to figure out how Jake is. We were finally told near the end of the book. Some of the things he did made me think he was an older teen but they still had "recess" at school. Jake and his friends acted much younger than their actual age. The book was an easy read until about the last quarter. The loss of loved ones is always hard but Jake seems to have more than his share.

The book could use some editing. There are missing words and incorrect words.

Overall, I enjoye
Carla
May 04, 2013 Carla rated it liked it
It took me a day to finish this book. The book started out slow, but then it picked up pace. I had never read a book like this before because I'm usually into romance and paranormal books, but this book was surprisingly good. It wasn't outstanding, but it's good for a one-time read. I can relate to Jake in some things. This book made me laugh, cry and feel bad for Jake. You should read it if you like tragedy. This is what it was for me. A tragic, lonely and sad story of a boy named Jake.
Raeanna
Feb 08, 2015 Raeanna rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Thank you Michael Cargill for allowing me to read your book.

I have to admit the first 200 pages were really boring. But I did like the main character. As the book progressed I was happy, sad, and shocked. The author did a good job on the writing and I liked how it ended.
Wanda
Jake by Michael Cargill began as a slow read.

A peek into the life of a fifteen year old boy; some funny, some awkward, teenage moments.

Then the unexpected happens...

Mckayla
Mckayla rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2013
Xavier Zhapan
Xavier Zhapan rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Nelly Jones
Nelly Jones rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Awais Hanif
Awais Hanif rated it really liked it
May 05, 2013
mary algen
mary algen rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Jaheida
Jaheida rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2014
Rya
Rya rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2013
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2013
  • S'wanee
  • Icefire (Icefire Trilogy #0.5)
  • Letters From the Ledge
  • Spirit Singer
  • Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
  • Resonance (Holloway Pack, #2.5)
  • Brains, Trains & Video Games
  • Beyond the Quiet: Second Chances: The Awakening
  • Due Date
  • The Ladybug Jinx (Grandberry Falls, #1)
  • Silent Echoes (Games of Zeus, #2)
  • The Color of Bones
  • The Devil's Closet (Ceecee Gallagher)
  • Wild Child
  • Learning to Live (Infinite Love, #1)
  • Afterlife (The Dark Gifts, #1.5)
  • Too Dark to Sleep
  • Elly's Ghost
I'm an author who lives in the sunny, green hills of England. As you can see in the photo to the left, I'm mostly bald.

Over the years people had often said that I should write a book so, in mid 2011, I did just that! Anyone wondering which book of mine to read first should start with Shelter from Thunder; 'tis short and available for free.

Feedback of any kind is always welcome.

www.facebook.com/Mic
More about Michael Cargill...