A New Time for Mexico

A New Time for Mexico

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  4 reviews
In the essays in A New Time for Mexico, Carlos Fuentes discusses the history, origins and nature of Mexico's political system and the unforeseen, tumultuous events that began in 1994 with the rebellion in Chiapas and continued with a rash of assassinations, the break between presidents Salinas and Zedillo, and continual traumas for a society making the transition from auth...more
Published May 14th 2013 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published June 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A New Time for Mexico, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A New Time for Mexico

Dawn
I am finding this book challenging, as there are a great many things and persons referred to that I am unfamiliar with, but Fuentes' philosophical musings and and lyrical prose are enjoyable and illuminating. Although the book is now dated (in my copy it was last updated in 1999), I picked it up before going to Mexico to supplement my meager knowledge of this place. I am glad I did...more as I work through it.
Terry
This enlightening book tells of Mexico's long history and the problems it is facing. I learned that much of Mexico is indigenous, not totally wiped out by the Spanish. It has a difficult history with the US because we both plague it and support it. Mexico needs a strong democracy, something that has evidence of happening only recently. Fuentes is an intellectual writer.
David
Fuentes is the true living scholar of Mexico and this book is a work of history as well as art. he doesn't miss much and anyone wqnting to understand Mexico needs to read this book.
Dee wise
I finished it a while ago...it was challenging but interesting. I can see going back to read it again in a year or two. Lots of information!
Ranferi Tristán
Ranferi Tristán marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Austin Lopez
Austin Lopez is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Hameed Khan
Hameed Khan marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Keri
Keri marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Eduardo Moraes
Eduardo Moraes marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Claudia Art
Claudia Art is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Lizzy Cat
Lizzy Cat marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Antonio
Antonio marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Brock
Brock marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2013
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2013
Elpidio
Elpidio marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Linda
Linda added it
Apr 04, 2013
Robert Moreno
Robert Moreno marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Carlos Fuentes Macías was a Mexican writer and one of the best-known novelists and essayists of the 20th century in the Spanish-speaking world. Fuentes influenced contemporary Latin American literature, and his works have been widely translated into English and other languages.

Fuentes was born in Panama City, Panama; his parents were Mexican. Due to his father being a diplomat, during his childhoo...more
More about Carlos Fuentes...
Aura The Death of Artemio Cruz The Old Gringo La Región Más Transparente Terra Nostra