The Ghosts of Young Nick's Head

The Ghosts of Young Nick's Head

4.62 of 5 stars 4.62  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A summer holiday at an isolated old house perched high on a cliff top turns sinister for 11-year-old friends Joe and Eddie when Joe discovers a message scratched on a bedpost, and senses a presence watching him.
What is the secret of the haunted room? What is the shadowy form that lurks out on the headland? And why do Joe and Eddie keep finding themselves THIS close to bec...more
ebook
Published December 2011 by Pear Jam Books (first published September 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghosts of Young Nick's Head, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghosts of Young Nick's Head

Tui Allen
Spine Shivers with Cool Historic Twist.

This has all the elements, for a rollicking good children's ghost yarn and it delivers. Not so scary as to give the kids nightmares, but certainly enough to give them just the right amount of shivers down their spines. The setting is very cool, a historic headland in a wild lonely spot. The author conveys a great sense of the history of a truly romantic location - something you don't often get in Kiwi literature. I got a clear sense of "young Nick Young" m...more
Alan Taylor
Apr 05, 2012 Alan Taylor rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all lovers of ghost stories
Shelves: wins, first-reads, signed
Have received my copy through Goodreads First Reads giveaway and looking forward to reading this tonight (hopefully a quiet night at work so I can get through all of it).

I have now finished the book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was very well written, the characters very likeable and believable and with a very good twist at the end. I would recommend this book to anyone (not just children) and will now be passing it on to my 9 year old daughter for her to read.
Julie Scott
This is a great spooky read for the 8-11 age group. Lots of spine-chilling details, twists and turns and a mystery from the past that needs to be unravelled.The story is well-paced and will entertain any child that likes their adventure just a little bit scary.

JJ
There is nothing quite like a good ghost story, with just the right amount of creepiness. The Ghosts of Young Nick’s Head, by Sue Copsey is a New Zealand ghost story, set in Poverty Bay, on the headland of Young Nick’s Head. Friends Joe and Eddie are staying in an old house with Joe’s family, a house that is high on the clifftops, creeks in the night, is often surrounded by fog… the ideal place for a ghost (or ghosts!) to lurk...

Read the rest of my review on NZ Booklovers.
Karen Pearson
This deftly constructed story serves up not one, but three ghosts, all with traumatic pasts which the author has cleverly linked to the real life history of the area. The fun is in working out which ones are good ghosts and which ones are bad. Excellent plotting, a measured pace with enough breathers between the scary bits, and a fairly low fright factor make it a read which even more sensitive 10-12 year olds would not only tolerate but enjoy. Great to see the main characters using the local li...more
Heather
You do not have to be a school age child to read a good ghost story and have a good fright!

What a great story that kept me reading. It did take me a couple of days becuase I was reading another book at the same time but I made sure I read it at night. A few times, I would hear the house move and had to stop just to make sure of what I heard. Cannot wait for my boys to get older and enjoy this book.

Hey Sue - come over to Hawkes Bay and write a wonderful ghost story about Cape Kidnappers. What a...more
Deanne
I was lucky enough to have received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. It is a spooky and fun young adult's ghost story.

Joe and his parents are getting away for a holiday on the coast. Joe's friend, Eddie, joins them. Staying at the holiday home belonging to a friend of Joe's mom, the boys stumble upon a mystery. They learn more about the history of Poverty Bay and the treacherous waters while trying to uncover the truth of what happened to young Tom who fell from the cliffs so ma...more
Sweetp-1
This was a fast, fun read - perfect for a day spent in bed with the flu. The book is aimed at 8-12 year olds and I think hits that mark perfectly. The two boys felt authentic and real with fluid dialogue which also felt very authentic. The mystery is suitably spooky and I loved how it all panned out in the end. I'm going to get my 10yo to read this :)
Darkpool (protesting GR censorship)
What a cool story :-) I can well imagine the bright young 14 year olds I teach would have inhaled this kind of story when they were 9 or 10 year olds. Loved the dialogue and sense of humour.
Kate
I loved it my teacher has read it and I have brought it for my iPad thank you for writing this sue copsey
Christine Hurst
Great book. A true ghosty story, set in lovely New Zealand. Some scary bits and lots of adventure.
Angela Oliver
Another Pear Jam title. I must have worked through half their authors now. I liked this one. A good old fashioned ghost story, set near Gisborne. I've been near Young Nick's Head and my dad told me the story of how it came to be named. The creepy house on the hill, the caves at the foot of the cliffs, the stranger in the night... All good chills for young readers! Copsey knows her way around juvenile horror, and writes convincing pre-teen boys, but I do feel there could have been more to this st...more
Kathleen Dixon
Aug 12, 2012 Kathleen Dixon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathleen by: BLK Group Challenge
Shelves: children-s
I started this book twice because the first time my mindset was actually with Beginner and Elementary ESOL adult students who I've been encouraging to read and do book reviews, and I was looking at the vocabulary from their point of view. They would have found the first pages daunting with such words as 'enthused', 'brooding', hovered menacingly', 'queasy', 'barfing' - to name just a few.

Then I adjusted my mindset, remembering that this book was written for 8- to 10-year old native speakers. Duh...more
Devil Ayame
I read it with booktrack, an app that I found on google chrome. It was fun to read with the sound and all.
Sue
May 29, 2014 Sue rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Sorry folks to be rating my own book, I need to do this to put it on a shelf :)
D.C. Grant
A scary story that will delight 8 - 12 year olds, especially the boys. It has everything - a haunted house, shipwrecks, mystery and drama. Read it with all the lights on!
Stephen Barker
Set against the wild coastline of Poverty Bay, this is a fun and exciting tale for 8 to 11 year olds... see www.stephenbarker.co.nz for a short review.
Helena
I think this book was awesome and I recommend it to everyone. I think that it is spooky and fun at the same time. 5 STARS, 5 STARS, 5 STARS!
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Hani
Hani marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Book Loving Kiwis: The Ghosts of Young Nick's Head 31 22 Oct 03, 2012 11:55AM
5252041
I grew up in England, in the town of Rugby, in Warwickshire. My childhood influences were Enid Blyton (Hello, my name's Sue and I was an Blytonaholic), Tove Jansson (the Moomins) and anything about ghosts. My writing goal is to create a character as random as a Hattifattener. If you don't know what a Hattifattener is, please google this very soon.
After working as a press officer at London Zoo, and...more