Start by marking “The Ghosts of Young Nick's Head” as Want to Read:
The Ghosts of Young Nick's Head

The Ghosts of Young Nick's Head (Spooky Adventures #1)

A summer holiday at an isolated old house perched high on a cliff top turns sinister for 11-year-old friends Joe and Eddie when Joe discovers a message scratched on a bedpost, and senses a presence watching him.
What is the secret of the haunted room? What is the shadowy form that lurks out on the headland? And why do Joe and Eddie keep finding themselves THIS close to bec
ebook
Published December 2011 by Pear Jam Books (first published September 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghosts of Young Nick's Head, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghosts of Young Nick's Head

Tui Allen
Oct 11, 2013 Tui Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spine Shivers with Cool Historic Twist.

This has all the elements, for a rollicking good children's ghost yarn and it delivers. Not so scary as to give the kids nightmares, but certainly enough to give them just the right amount of shivers down their spines. The setting is very cool, a historic headland in a wild lonely spot. The author conveys a great sense of the history of a truly romantic location - something you don't often get in Kiwi literature. I got a clear sense of "young Nick Young" m
Alan Taylor
Jan 31, 2012 Alan Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all lovers of ghost stories
Shelves: wins, first-reads, signed
Have received my copy through Goodreads First Reads giveaway and looking forward to reading this tonight (hopefully a quiet night at work so I can get through all of it).

I have now finished the book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was very well written, the characters very likeable and believable and with a very good twist at the end. I would recommend this book to anyone (not just children) and will now be passing it on to my 9 year old daughter for her to read.
Julie Scott
Jan 08, 2012 Julie Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great spooky read for the 8-11 age group. Lots of spine-chilling details, twists and turns and a mystery from the past that needs to be unravelled.The story is well-paced and will entertain any child that likes their adventure just a little bit scary.

Cassandra
Jul 18, 2015 Cassandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
**I won this book through Goodreads First Reads.**

The Ghosts of Young Nick's Head is the first book in the series Spooky Adventures.

This has all the elements, for a good children's ghost yarn and it delivers. Not so scary as to give the kids nightmares but certainly enough to give them just the right amount of shivers down their spines.

The two boys holidaying in a creepy old house, experience ghosts both friendly and dangerously malevolent. The boys manage to piece together the stories of the gh
Heather
You do not have to be a school age child to read a good ghost story and have a good fright!

What a great story that kept me reading. It did take me a couple of days becuase I was reading another book at the same time but I made sure I read it at night. A few times, I would hear the house move and had to stop just to make sure of what I heard. Cannot wait for my boys to get older and enjoy this book.

Hey Sue - come over to Hawkes Bay and write a wonderful ghost story about Cape Kidnappers. What a
Karen Pearson
Jun 30, 2013 Karen Pearson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This deftly constructed story serves up not one, but three ghosts, all with traumatic pasts which the author has cleverly linked to the real life history of the area. The fun is in working out which ones are good ghosts and which ones are bad. Excellent plotting, a measured pace with enough breathers between the scary bits, and a fairly low fright factor make it a read which even more sensitive 10-12 year olds would not only tolerate but enjoy. Great to see the main characters using the local li ...more
Adele Broadbent
May 29, 2015 Adele Broadbent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On holiday at an isolated old house perched high on cliffs of Young Nick’s Head (East Coast of NZ), friends Joe and Eddie discover a strange room. Why doesn’t anyone want them to sleep in there? They sneak in after Joe’s parents are asleep and encounter a ghost. Shocked but excited they investigate further with the help of the local museum curator and discover a secret about the house and the family who lived there 100 years before.
The ghost is Tom Wright, the son of ‘Cornish Jack’ Wright – a lo
Deanne
Jan 31, 2012 Deanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to have received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. It is a spooky and fun young adult's ghost story.

Joe and his parents are getting away for a holiday on the coast. Joe's friend, Eddie, joins them. Staying at the holiday home belonging to a friend of Joe's mom, the boys stumble upon a mystery. They learn more about the history of Poverty Bay and the treacherous waters while trying to uncover the truth of what happened to young Tom who fell from the cliffs so ma
JJ
Apr 28, 2014 JJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is nothing quite like a good ghost story, with just the right amount of creepiness. The Ghosts of Young Nick’s Head, by Sue Copsey is a New Zealand ghost story, set in Poverty Bay, on the headland of Young Nick’s Head. Friends Joe and Eddie are staying in an old house with Joe’s family, a house that is high on the clifftops, creeks in the night, is often surrounded by fog… the ideal place for a ghost (or ghosts!) to lurk...

Read the rest of my review on NZ Booklovers.
George
Mar 08, 2016 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweetp-1
This was a fast, fun read - perfect for a day spent in bed with the flu. The book is aimed at 8-12 year olds and I think hits that mark perfectly. The two boys felt authentic and real with fluid dialogue which also felt very authentic. The mystery is suitably spooky and I loved how it all panned out in the end. I'm going to get my 10yo to read this :)
Christine Hurst
Sep 02, 2013 Christine Hurst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. A true ghosty story, set in lovely New Zealand. Some scary bits and lots of adventure.
Sybille Knecht
Feb 12, 2014 Sybille Knecht rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it with booktrack, an app that I found on google chrome. It was fun to read with the sound and all.
Kate
Jul 17, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, mr-w-reed
I loved it my teacher has read it and I have brought it for my iPad thank you for writing this sue copsey
Darkpool (protesting GR censorship)
What a cool story :-) I can well imagine the bright young 14 year olds I teach would have inhaled this kind of story when they were 9 or 10 year olds. Loved the dialogue and sense of humour.
Angela Oliver
Another Pear Jam title. I must have worked through half their authors now. I liked this one. A good old fashioned ghost story, set near Gisborne. I've been near Young Nick's Head and my dad told me the story of how it came to be named. The creepy house on the hill, the caves at the foot of the cliffs, the stranger in the night... All good chills for young readers! Copsey knows her way around juvenile horror, and writes convincing pre-teen boys, but I do feel there could have been more to this st ...more
Kathleen Dixon
Aug 12, 2012 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathleen by: BLK Group Challenge
Shelves: children-s
I started this book twice because the first time my mindset was actually with Beginner and Elementary ESOL adult students who I've been encouraging to read and do book reviews, and I was looking at the vocabulary from their point of view. They would have found the first pages daunting with such words as 'enthused', 'brooding', hovered menacingly', 'queasy', 'barfing' - to name just a few.

Then I adjusted my mindset, remembering that this book was written for 8- to 10-year old native speakers. Duh
Ngaire Bookiemonster
Friends Joe and Eddie are off on a summer holiday with family, staying in an old house near Gisborne and, of course Young Nick's Head. A spooky encounter soon sets them off on the adventure of their young lives, discovering ghosts, history and local secrets.
I thoroughly enjoyed The Ghosts of Young Nick's Head and would have to recommend it to all young readers. It strikes the perfect balance of spooky and realistic for the intended audience, and it's definitely keeps the reader's attention. The
Z.R. Southcombe
Feb 05, 2015 Z.R. Southcombe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nz-authors
This is an extremely well-written book, with a good amount of scariness and action.

The author has brought local history into the story, and for me it was a reminder of how local history is important. The boys, both put forth as relatable characters, become hooked into a mystery when on holiday in an isolated old house and end up unearthing a lot more than anyone had bargained for.

I like a little bit of flowery language in what I read, so stylistically speaking it didn't quite do it for me - but
Scott Butler
May 05, 2015 Scott Butler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great story. Sue's got a wonderful sense of timing and flow with her stories which makes this book very easy to read. My daughter loved it. She's almost 8. She was a little nervous about how scary it was going to be, though really opened up to it. Lot's of twists, great characters, embedded in great detail and a terrific setting.
Helena
Apr 14, 2012 Helena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was awesome and I recommend it to everyone. I think that it is spooky and fun at the same time. 5 STARS, 5 STARS, 5 STARS!
D.C. Grant
Jun 22, 2013 D.C. Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A scary story that will delight 8 - 12 year olds, especially the boys. It has everything - a haunted house, shipwrecks, mystery and drama. Read it with all the lights on!
Stephen Barker
Sep 15, 2012 Stephen Barker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-teen
Set against the wild coastline of Poverty Bay, this is a fun and exciting tale for 8 to 11 year olds... see www.stephenbarker.co.nz for a short review.
Sue
May 29, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Sorry folks to be rating my own book, I need to do this to put it on a shelf :)
Katie Furze
Katie Furze rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2016
Kerry
Kerry rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Angie
Angie rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2012
Sharlene
Sharlene rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Phillip Simpson
Phillip Simpson rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2011
Jill Marshall
Jill Marshall rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2012
Book Loving Kiwis: The Ghosts of Young Nick's Head 31 22 Oct 03, 2012 11:55AM
5252041
I grew up in England, in the town of Rugby. My childhood favourites were Enid Blyton (golly!), Tove Jansson (the Moomins) and anything about ghosts. My writing goal is to create a character as random as a Hattifattener. If you don't know what a Hattifattener is, please google this very soon.
After working as a press officer at London Zoo, and as an editor at Dorling Kindersley, I moved to New Zeala
More about Sue Copsey...

Spooky Adventures (2 books)
  • The Ghosts of Tarawera (Spooky Adventures, #2)