The Bet (The Bet, #1)

The Bet (The Bet #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  19,809 ratings  ·  1,907 reviews
"I have a proposition for you." Kacey should have run the minute those words left Seattle millionaire Jake Titus's mouth. It's been years since Kacey's seen her childhood friend Jake, but the minute Jake mentions his ill grandmother, Kacey is ready to do anything for the sweet old woman. And if that means pretending they're engaged for her sake-so be it.

But Kacey wasn't co...more
Published March 26th 2013 (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Bet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bet

Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuireReal by Katy EvansClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareReckless by S.C. StephensEntwined with You by Sylvia Day
Best Books Published in 2013
83rd out of 3,012 books — 6,665 voters
Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuireThe Redemption of Callie & Kayden by Jessica SorensenReckless by S.C. StephensEntwined with You by Sylvia DayNever Too Far by Abbi Glines
Highly Anticipated NA Books of 2013
21st out of 365 books — 1,227 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Jayne
5 I LOVE THIS BOOK STARS.

description

I, Lisa Jayne Woodward formally declare that I'm a self-confessed book butterfly junkie, sign me up for RA (romance anonymous). Failing that leave me in a padded cell with a shoot for food and this book to read over and over again. This has to be crowned best book of 2013 for me so far. It ticked all my romance story boxes and here are my thoughts ...

What's it all about?
Kacey is approached by her childhood friend, now millionaire Jake Titus who asks her to return to thei...more
Tricia
I just do not understand the high ratings on this one. The characters in this book were extremely immature. Adults who acted as if they were preteens. If you are interested in this book, please take the time to read the 1 and 2 star reviews on Amazon before purchasing. Just about everyone is how I felt reading this book, and much more acurate than the 5 star reviews!
Akanksha❤ Søren♰
This novel had the cutest prologue I've ever read. :D

I loveddddddddddddd the book.
I want AMAZING, SUPER CUTE, BRILLANT AND JUST *swoon*

I want a continuation of this book!!! Like their story to continue!
Like I want more of the other brother too.
The story was wonderful and I loved the characters. Grandma was the best!

The witty bantering, the humor, the whole feeling of the book, I enjoyed it all..
The whole bet was ADORABLE! hehe

Do read this book!! Its Awesome~ :D

He knew for a fact Kacey loved pri...more
Anna
This was a cute fun read ! Some awkward moments followed by heart warming full on awwwwwwwwwww moments ;). This Travis is a Breath of fresh air ! He said he was going to marry her! He knew this at the firm age of like ten ! His honest thoughts and crush on Kacey - just so adorable. Bonus points for this Travis Titus : 1) he was sentimental ( kept stuffed animal he named after her ) 2) he kept her parents memories alive 3) his fear of big bad bears 4) he finally right hooked his brother 5) his de...more
Vikki ~ *squee* lite ~
Ok, this was seriously adorable. Sweet, funny (laugh out loud funny), poignant, with just the right amount of cheese. Definitely an enjoyable (mostly) lighthearted read about childhood friends who finally (with some well meaning family manipulation) realize they are meant for each other.

"He'd wanted her more than Anything. His entire life. How many people could actually claim that? That for their entire existence, the one person they wanted to share eternity with, had never changed, never fal...more
Christine
Loved it!
So why a four star and not a five...well I'll explain in a bit.

Kacey's world was turned upside down after a fateful night where she not only loses her best friend but also her parents.

Jake has always been Kacey's best friend and protector from not just his older brother who terrorized her as a kid, but also mean teenage girls who did not understand their relationship.

Travis (Jake's older brother) has always been behind the scenes and the third wheel to this little equation. He has also...more
Tammy Walton Grant

Colour me perplexed. Is this what "NA" books are? 21 and 23 year olds flailing about, finding love and discovering themselves? If so, this book ain't it.

It has the other pre-requisites: heroine orphaned tragically, alone in the world and struggling to finish college; the stunningly gorgeous male lead with a tortured (well, this guy had a stutter. Sort of tragic, no?) past, tons of money and a weird family.

Otherwise, it was a standard, run-of-the-mill contemporary romance. Heroine agrees to act a...more
Shreya
Why the hell does this book have a "below 4" rating???? Why?? Why???
It's a real good one, girls & it has every single thing that we looooove... :)
1> Childhood crush

2> Super-sexy guys..Yep, as in more than one...Moreover they are right bit of cocky!! Just the way we love them

3> The heroine is not bad too...(Actually couldn't keep tabs on her while salivating for one of the guys... ;) :) *hint* Travis)

4> Totally loveable family members including a crazy Granny...:D Oh yes, I loved...more
Mo
I must say this was a nice surprise. Have never read this author before but must have come across it here on Goodreads. It was romantic, funny, smart, sexy (without too much sex - well, without hardly any sex and certainly none of it graphic). Two brothers, one girl. Could get messy. No, it didn't, well not really. Kind of reminded me a bit of the old film, Sabrina. I loved Travis. Kinda liked Jake.... but he was a bit to smoozy for me - is there such a word? Think you know what I mean. Will def...more
Heather
Apr 30, 2013 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of humorous romance.
Shelves: z-kindle, lmao, romance
This book was exactly what I needed. It was a lighthearted romance with some seriously sweet moments.

Kacey grew up next door to Jake and Travis. While Jake was a smooth talker, Travis was always being mean to her. In high school, Kacey fell in love with Jake...

but Jake was too busy being in love with himself.

Kasey looses her parents and her best friend in one night and will never be the same. She takes off and doesn't look back.

Travis, forever waiting in the wings, felt like he would never ge...more
J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie*
4.5 Stars!

I really enjoyed this one. It was nice and refreshing to read a book for a change that (a) didn't have an annoying heroine--or hero for that matter and (b) didn't have cheesy as hell dialogue. Now don't get me wrong I wanted to kick a couple of boys in the ass a few times....and a girl, but overall it was a really entertaining and funny read.

Jake, Travis and Kacey have known each other all of their lives. Jake and Kacey have always been BFFs and Travis was the older brother with the s...more
❀ Crystal ✿ -
Rachel Van Dyken has done it again. Blown me away and made me want to curl up inside her book and live there happily ever after.

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not
description

Oh how I loved The Bet, let me count the ways:

1. A+ beginning. Pulls you in from the start and doesn’t let you go. Seeing the characters as young children really helps set the stage. And the start of the bet, so adorably hilarious.

2. The interaction between the brothers as children was hilarious.

3. Jake-once we get to know him… You can’t he...more
Shelly Crane
Yessss! Loved it!

The book was fantastic. And it didn't need to have a sex scene every five minutes to do it! There wasn't really a love triangle either. It sounds like it, but really there's no contest. I won't say who, but I'm sure you can see once you sink into the book. And you need to sink into it. It's got all my favorite things in a book! A swoony guy, a heroine who's NOT a ditsy idiot and someone that I could be friends with, a great family dynamic, a crazy grandma, and it's all about the...more
Laurynne - BookReviewBay.com

No. No. No. Pure torture. Pure annoyance and irritatingly goody goody & childish.

There is no heat, no passion, no desire, no swearing, no lust, no fire.... nothing that would be considered sinful. It's a book you could read at your church picnic.

I bet you just looked at the cover again right? Yeah... deceiving. Actually it's nothing like the book. Firstly, there's no passion as the cover suggests. And more importantly, Kacey, who I assume is suppose to be the girl on the cover, actually ha...more
Michelle
This ended up being so much better than I expected. I was terrified of the love triangle aspect, the chance that Jake would pull his head out of his ass and realize that he loved her - that Travis would finally man up and admit that he had teased her so much because he loved her... and then that Kacey would break my heart by picking the one I didn't pick...or not pick either at all.

Kacey, Jake and Travis grew up together. Kace & Jake were best friends and Travis was her worst nightmare. At t...more
Skye Burling-Briggs
LOVE this cover! Can't wait ❤ love triangles are my favourite dirty little secret! ;)
CHICKEN AND EGGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!! :-))
Oh travis I LOVE YOU!!!!
Kacey about bloody time !!
Wimpy little ass of a brother aka Jake I really hate you!
I adored grandma lol!! Faking a stroke ha ha
When travis reviled that he bought the restaurant lord I was is tears!!
Laci
I liked it. That's not saying much cause I'm not a blogger or someone with fancy reviews, but I really enjoyed the story and liked her style of writing.
Alex
Pensavo di trovarmi difronte l'ennesimo libro dolce, romantico, con quel tocco di hot a rendere tutto più godibile... Invece mi ritrovo a leggere una sit-com di terz'ordine.
Non mi piace criticare in maniera pesante un libro, che a molti magari sarà piaciuto, ma il libro della Dyken é ridicolo oltre ogni ragionevole dubbio!!!
Trama, dialoghi, personaggi e stile dell'autrice, non riesco a salvare nulla.
Andiamo per ordine la trama : piena zeppa di cliché dato che l'autrice ci propina la solita solfa...more
Tonya
yay gif photo:  yay.gif

A love triangle between 2 yummy brothers.

I really liked how the story started, it gave insight to the brothers and their best friends which just happened go be a girl, so you knew the triangle was going to involve the brothers and those two were polar opposites.

Jake constantly had me....

Pissed off photo: PISSED OFF pissed_off.gif

And for so many reasons. To tick a few off, his arrogance, his disconcert for others feelings, his man whoredom and his inability to admit he is or was wrong. There are more but don't want to name them all bu...more
Joana

It's important to live and not get so hung up on the past. The past is called the past for a reason. If you are constantly looking behind you, your eyes aren't on the road ahead. You don't drive a car that way, so why would you live your life that way?

When Kacey is face to face with Jake for the first time in 2 years, she doesn't expect, first the pull she have towards them and the proposition he made her. She will have to go back home for the weekend and go as Jake's fiance.
Of course she thi...more
Jessica's Book Review
Read more reviews | Find Me on Facebook

The Bet is a cute story about two childhood best friends who have an unusual type of romance. Unusual is the key word. I read the book with a couple of hours and could not put it down. I just had to know which brother Kacey ends up with. I really wasn’t sure… you have the fairy tale of the best friend since childhood and ending up HEA together or the brother who hide his real feelings from her for years but truly loved her from afar... all possible great...more
Farah *Professor Dean's Beauty*

3.5 stars!

This was an overall fun read :)

Two brothers- one girl.. Ones a douche bag, ones a sweetheart- who wins?

Jake, Travis and Kacey have known each other their whole lives..
Jake and Kacey have been best friends forever... Until the night that ruined it all.

2years later Jake propositions and manipulates Kacey into coming home with him as his fiancee.
Only now Jake is a hot shot millionaire.
The notorious 'bad boy type' who sleeps with different woman. An Adonis of a man.

Can Kacey push away h...more
Michelle
3.5 Titus Stars

TheBet1

The Bet by Rachel Van Dyken is a cute sweet unrequited love story. Two brothers, one girl..who will capture her heart? If you are thinking love triangle, relax because there is no such thing. Right off the bat, readers will know which Titus brother has clear intentions and who loves Kacey for all the right reasons.

Jake and Kacey were childhood best friends. Growing up they were inseparable and had Jake's older brother, Travis always tagging along. Young Travis would tease and ma...more
Ashleigh
I love when a book suprises you, I really really enjoyed this one it had to from the first chapter. It was a really good read..
Chris' Book Blog Emporium
This was a fun read , but I felt it was a little rushed.

Kacey was a great character , we meet her in The prologue when her, Jake and Travis are kids . They all grew up together. Throughout their childhood , Travis is the one who always does pranks to her, Jake is the one who is always there to protect her .

That all changes one night she is dealt with the blow of losing her parents and her best friend Jake . Jake because he does the most stupid thing any guy can do .

Jake , Playboy, cocky and...more
Jacqueline's Reads
4 Stars

Because of you Kace. Everything I do, everything I’ve done in my life, it’s all because of you.

The Bet is a quick, light, no-fuss, no-muss, light tension kind of read. If you are in that kind of mood, then it does its job!

Kacey and Jake were childhood best friends. Jake and Travis are brothers and Travis is older by 2 years. Jake asks Kacey to spend a weekend with him and his family and pretend to be engaged so Jake’s sick grandmother can be happy and pull through with her health.

The fak...more
Janey
4.5 stars.

What a beautiful book about Kacey and her agreement to pretend to be Jake Titmus's fiancé when visiting his parents for the weekend. The story explores their past, having known each others families since they were toddlers. Jake is an arrogant, self assured billionaire ( of course), and we are introduced to his brother Travis, who has enjoyed a tormenting relationship with Kacey as they grew up. Sparks fly as the story unfolds. Grandma is a scream and contributes nicely to the humorou...more
Sara
Finished this book in a few hours(spread throughout the day) and loved it! Great story, great characters, and GREAT writing! I loved Jake and Kacey. Then hated Jake. Loved Travis and he stayed on my good side. Jake eventually was nice, but he's still a douche underneath. The Titus family is great! Grandma was so witty and funny....and frisky...and tricky. She's got game. The parents were great, cheaters of Monopoly, but great. It was pure pleasure to read this book with a smile on my face and so...more
Nikki
Ok so I was in the worst kind of book funk and nothing was working to get me out of it. A friend (thanks Lindsay!) mentioned The Bet and said it was really good and I should try it. She even tried to lay claim to Travis before I ever even opened it! Shocking right! So I decided to give it a try, and what do ya know, she was so right! And can I just say, I am claiming Travis! This book was awesomesauce! It was freaking hilarious! I was laughing so hard and I just couldn't put it down! The auth...more
Zoe and the Edge
Ms. van Dyken has such boyishly ridiculous heroes who are extremely protective over their manly pride. It's downright hilarious and I had a great time laughing.
The relationships in this book are really complicated. Everyone hates each other just a little bit and the bickering is out of this world. There are several: face-slaps, food fights, fist fights, broken blood oaths from childhood, and an arrest.

Jake and his brother Travis are both bad boys but I much prefer Travis' version. I found it ki...more
All kinds of ever...: What I am reading now 3 2 Aug 11, 2014 02:23AM
Who told the story? 2 30 Jul 12, 2014 12:42AM
Read 4 Review: R4R - The Bet (New Adult) by Rachel Van Dyken 30 133 Oct 16, 2013 10:24AM
Not available in UK 13 65 Oct 07, 2013 02:23PM
New Adult Book Club: ***Copies Gone*** #46 - The Bet 40 198 Jul 20, 2013 12:34PM
Shelf Addiction B...: July 2013 - The Bet by Rachel Van Dyken 1 7 Jul 03, 2013 07:04AM
  • The Love Game (The Game, #1)
  • Pieces of You (Shattered Hearts, #2)
  • Beautiful Broken Rules (Broken, #1)
  • My Side
  • Shine Not Burn (Shine Not Burn, #1)
  • A is for Alpha Male (A is for Alpha Male #1)
  • Fight or Flight (Fight or Flight, #1)
  • Beauty from Surrender (Beauty, #2)
  • Rock the Band (Black Falcon, #1.5)
  • Leo
  • Trophy Husband (Caught Up In Love, #3)
  • Love Thy Neighbour (Friend-Zoned, #2)
  • Friends with Benefits (Girl Next Door, #1)
  • Out of Line (Out of Line, #1)
  • Second Chance Boyfriend (One Week Girlfriend Quartet, #2)
  • Don't Hate the Player...Hate the Game
  • Kiss This (The McCallans, #1)
  • Wreck Me (Wrecked, #1)
Rachel Van Dyken is the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today Bestselling author of regency and contemporary romances. When she's not writing you can find her drinking coffee at Starbucks and plotting her next book while watching The Bachelor.
She keeps her home in Idaho with her Husband and their snoring Boxer, Sir Winston Churchill. She loves to hear from readers! You can follow her...more
More about Rachel Van Dyken...
Ruin (Ruin, #1) Elite (Eagle Elite, #1) Tear (Seaside, #1) The Wager (The Bet, #2) Toxic (Ruin, #2)

“It's important to keep your options open.It's important to live and not get s hung up on the past.The past is called the past for a reason.If you are constantly looking behind you, your eyes aren't on the road ahead.You don't drive a car that way, so why would you live your life that way?.” 74 likes
“Sometimes,when life gets hard, and people make you angry or even when you're scared, the best response is laughter.Laugh in the face of fear, in the face of what scares you the most.It's the only way to get you through the things that bring you to tears.” 66 likes