Start by marking “The Highbury Murders: A Mystery Set in the Village of Jane Austen's Emma” as Want to Read:
The Highbury Murders: A Mystery Set in the Village of Jane Austen's Emma

The Highbury Murders: A Mystery Set in the Village of Jane Austen's Emma

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  27 reviews
EXCERPT

The death of Mrs. Bates, a very old lady whose hearing had long since gone and who had spent her last few months either in her bedroom or sitting in her chair in the parlor, would have gone unremarked in London, where people spent their time discussing fashion, nobility, and the latest offering at the theatre. In Bath her decease might have been mentioned as a piece
Published March 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published February 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Highbury Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Highbury Murders

Jules
I enjoyed this book immensely. The writing felt as if Jane Austen herself wrote this. If you are a fan of mysteries & Jane Austen's Emma then this is a must read. I completely adore this book.
Susan Grigsby
I'm not generally a fan of this type of fiction, and thought the P.D.James effort to be an abysmal failure. Which is why I was so pleased to find this gem. What I hated most about the James novel was completely lacking here: there was no false notes of "do you remember such and such?", there was no heavy-handed clumsy attempt at imitation.

This is a skillful, flowing tale told as Jane Austen would have told it had she lived and been so inclined. From the first words, Austen's influence is clear:

"
Victoria_Grossack Grossack
Jun 22, 2013 Victoria_Grossack Grossack rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I know that many will think it is vain of authors to rate their own books 5 stars, and I concede that they have a point. On the other hand, I was very pleased with how this turned out. Would I be able to develop each of the characters along the arc that Jane Austen began? I believe I did this. Would I find enough material for a mystery? Again, yes. Finally, with the best books the characters actually learn something - not just about the world in which they live, but about themselves.

So, although
Beverly
What if Jane Austen and Agatha Christie collaborated on a novella? Apparently they have outwitted the constraints of time and done that in Victoria Grossack's book The Highbury Murders: A Murder Set in the Village of Jane Austen's Emma.

This has the natural feel of Jane Austen's writing. The characters are interesting and complete with the human foibles that Austen was so good at portraying. And it is satisfying to revisit these characters we grew attached to in Emma as their lives continue (It'
Diane Guerine

There was no hesitation on my part in giving this book a five star rating. From the first page to the last it was one of the most enjoyable books I have read in a long time. The word charming comes to mind, perhaps because of the setting, the era and the characters. All three were described so very well that I could picture them as I read and could become immersed in their lives. It was a "sorry to finish it" book.
Belles Livres
Absolutely charming!

Part of me wants to give this book five stars, because it achieves what it sets out to do. We see Emma again, now married, and spend time with all the characters: the fretful Mr. Woodhouse, the talkative Miss Bates, kind Mrs. Weston, dithery Harriet Martin, the wise and just Mr. Knightley and the vain Mrs. Elton. There's also a wonderful little mystery but I don't want to say more.

I think this book would be enjoyed by those who have not read Emma, but for those who have, it's
Jess Swann
Je suis mitigée sur cette sequel. L'idée est bonne et j'étais contente de retrouver les personnages de Jane Austen. J'étais également ravie de lire que Knightley craignait qu'Emma s'ennnuie (j'ai exactement la même peur, Knightley est bon mais pas assez vivant pour Emma à mon avis). On retrouve donc Mr Woodhouse, toujours aussi pénible (et c'est peu de le dire). Donc plusieurs événements se produisent. La mort de Mrs Bates, pour commencer, qui ramène Jane & Frank a Highbury... Puis un cambri ...more
Patricia Gulley
An absolutely wonderful read, enjoyed it tremendously. A cozy mystery wrapped in the Jane Austen story of Emma. Many changes to the familiar characters. Very highly recommended to both mystery lovers and Janites.
Cindy
Great start with this story, but the ending almost seemed rushed. I liked that Emma and Knightley were working together intellectually to find out who stole silver from Donwell Abbey, then who could have murdered Miss Bates in the graveyard over her mother's (who was just buried!) and father's graves. Towards the end of the book, the murderer was going to kill Emma and Jane Churchill, but was thwarted by another murderer and accomplice. And the murderer who murdered 4 people is a very surprising ...more
Rachel Leverton
Good writing, bad ending

I was quite captured by the writing style and mystery of the novel, and very much enjoyed it until the end.

(Spoiler alert)

The death of Mrs. Churchill (not Jane) would have provided all the drama necessary for a book written in homage to Jane Austen, who managed to convey plenty of drama and "tragedy" without reverting to overblown violence. In my opinion the writer over played her hand, adding many more murders and villains than were necessary. Perhaps with a more simple,
Csinclaire
This was an uncomplicated sequel to Jane Austen's "Emma," with the same characters and the same limited geographical setting. The tone was fairly true to Austen's language and style, and I can never get enough of that. I enjoyed it also because it is a mystery, which, outside of Austen-like books, are my usual preference. Since mystery and Austenesque writing were combined here, that made it even better.

That said, it was, as I mentioned before, "uncomplicated." Certainly, not taxing to read. So,
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Mystery/Sequel to Emma

TIME FRAME: One year after the close of Emma.

MAIN CHARACTERS: The Knightleys, Mr. Woodhouse, The Eltons, Miss Bates, The Churchills, The Westons, Harriet Martin

SYNOPSIS: While there is an abundance of happy marriages and births to celebrate in Highbury, there comes an occasion for sadness and sorrow with the death of old Mrs. Bates. The Churchills arrive in town for the funeral and Emma starts mulling over all the unanswered questions around her –
Veronlca
Another dreadful Austen knockoff.

Poor Jane. As a Janeite I. feel obliged to,at least, try to read the knockoffs. None can come close to the novels of the great Jane but some are amusing. A very few are even interesting. I began this book with hopes since the the author did not commit the fatal error of quoting Jane and not giving credit (English 101 my dears). She did take "Emma's" characters and turn them into caricatures. Murderer s, thieves _ please.
Jenn
Meh. I didn't finish in time for the discussion, but there was no real discussion because nobody liked it. I finished the next day and agreed- it was an unfortunate choice for our Mystery month. My biggest complaint is how ridiculously repetitive the author was in describing characters we were already very familiar with. Take out the repeated information and all you have is a mediocre short story.
S.M.
Four stars for providing an extension to the relationship between Emma and Knightley. The murder plot was really weird LOL. The writing really meshes with Austen's style and the author does a great job of painting Highbury, Donwell Abbey, and Hartfield exactly the way Austen intended.
Diane Paules
Excellent

Ms. Grossack wrting in the style of Jane Austin, is admirable. this book will keep your mind busy and your perceptions jumping. Who, what, why, where and when are all answered in due time with many machinations. Thoroughly enjoyable. Read it.
Katy Jackson
a fun read for Jane Austen fans

This was a delightful read. Jane Austen is my favorite author and I enjoyed reading a "spinoff". I predicted a few of the events but not the ending. It's cleverly written.
Bethack
As much as I love Jane Austen and books that use her characters this one is a no go. I felt it was not true to the original characters or the period. Women just did not attend funerals.
Alice Underwood
This book offers a delightful escape for readers who'd like to spend just a bit more time in Jane Austen's world, whether or not they might have noticed a certain loose end in "Emma"...
Kerrie
It didn't really read in Jane Austen's style, but it was still a bit fun to revisit favorite characters.
Melissa Varney
Good mystery set in one of Austen's most memorable villages

Ms. Grossack's murder mystery set in Jane Austen's village of Highbury made me long to read "Emma" again. I loved her treatment of Austen's beloved characters and town. I would be one of the first in line to read more of Ms. Grossack's mysteries if she were to revisit other of Ms. Austen's beloved settings and characters.
Tim Schiraldi
A cozy mystery best enjoyed with a glass of Brandy near a fireplace. Set in the village of Jane Austin's Emma, a rock, a locket, and a cemetery give inquisitive Emma just the drama she craves. Grossack is faithful to Austin's style and faithfully continues her characters in a well done sequel to the classic.
Sherrian
Good short read. Entertaing.
Margaret Crampton
This Book was slow to get interesting and not very convincing when it did. It has however encouraged me to reread Jane Austen's Emma they share characters.
Emily
a wonderful mystery et as an extension of Jane Austen's Emma.
Amelie
sounds just like jane austen. really very clever, too.
Lisa Gousse
Lisa Gousse is currently reading it
Apr 24, 2015
Carole
Carole added it
Apr 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Jane Austen: The Highbury Murders 19 100 Mar 30, 2014 11:17AM
Cozy Mysteries : Review by a Bookstore Owner 4 66 Feb 19, 2014 09:49AM
Jane Austen: Highbury Murders Blog Interview and Contest 2 9 Jul 28, 2013 03:20AM
Cozy Mysteries : Great review (reviewer surprised) 5 30 Jul 28, 2013 03:19AM
  • Searching for Captain Wentworth
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • He Taught Me to Hope (Darcy and the Young Knight's Quest #1)
  • The Three Colonels: Jane Austen's Fighting Men
  • Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles)
  • Mr. Darcy’s Noble Connections
  • A Darcy Christmas
  • Charity Envieth Not (George Knightley, Esquire #1)
  • The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Mystery
  • The Mysterious Death of Miss Austen
  • Jane Austen's First Love
  • Jane Austen's Country Life: Uncovering the rural backdrop to her life, her letters and her novels
  • A Visit to Highbury: Another View of Emma
  • The List Lover's Guide to Jane Austen
  • Loving Miss Darcy (Brides of Pemberley, #2)
  • Darcy and Anne: It Is a Truth Universally Acknowledged That Lady Catherine Will Never Find a Husband for Anne...
  • Unequal Affections: A Pride and Prejudice Retelling
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
Jocasta: The Mother-Wife of Oedipus Children of Tantalus: Niobe and Pelops The Road to Thebes: Niobe and Amphion Arrows of Artemis: Niobe and Chloris (Tapestry of Bronze) Antigone and Creon: Guardians of Thebes (Tapestry of Bronze)