3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Former Criminal Prosecutor, mother and stepmother Loni Coombs has witnessed too many times the shockingly negative effects of what most parents feel to be the very best parenting techniques. They think, "I'll give my children what I never had, I'll pave their way to success, I'll take care of their problems," and then they're blindsided by their children's utter helplessne...more
Published December 3rd 2012 by Bird Street Books, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about You're Perfect... and Other Lies Parents Tell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You're Perfect... and Other Lies Parents Tell

Kathy
Aug 09, 2013 Kathy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want parenting advice from a non-expert
I'm very disappointed I paid full price for this hardback. It showed promise but fizzled out after the introduction.

While I totally agree with the premise of this book, I felt it was poorly written and in need of an editor. I also felt like I was being "talked down" to and preached at. The book was written in an informal, conspiratal tone, as if she were writing a letter to a friend. Also, the first two chapters seemed disconnected from the rest of the book.

After reading the book I question the...more
Luann Mckenzie
My son is 24 now, but I sure wish I had this book when he was growing up. It's loaded with great information and practical advice about how to get through the parenting years successfully. Loni is insightful, experienced, straightforward and compassionate. There are also plenty of facts and figures, for those of you who like statistics. I give it a huge thumbs up and highly recommend it for any parent!
Karen
Full of information yet does not flow. Appears to be more of a lecture. Parents who are looking for similar information will probably pick this book up and then quickly put it down. Stick with it and you will find some useful information.
Stephanie Burkhart
Coombs offers an enlightened and common sense perspective to modern day parenting with "You're Perfect…and Other Lies Parents Tell."

It isn't easy parenting children in this modern day Internet savvy world. As a former DA for LA City, Coombs saw many troubled teenagers cross her path in the justice system. After identifying parenting "types," and "pitfalls," Coombs offers common sense advice for modern day parenting.

A majority of today's parents are instilling a sense of entitlement along with a...more
Nikki
It felt like I was reading a blog post. Full of opinions, that I generally agree with, however, I was expecting something better researched and edited.
I certainly didn't agree with all of the author's suggestions on parenting but then again, my son's only 2. I didn't find the majority of the book was applicable to me during my current stage of mothering but it was a great resource to look ahead at what may await me.

I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.
Trina
This book had a lot of helpful ideas and tools. however, it made it seem like the author thought the reader was an idiot at several points. also, it's made very clear that this is an opinion book. there is very little that makes this book a recommendation over any other parenting books
Lace
Fantastic book. This is full of great advice for modern parents who want their children to be responsible, smart, good decision makers. I have suggested that my friends read this (especially since they all have very young kids). I received this book free through Goodreads First Reads.
Sherry
Common sense finds a voice in this book. A great book for parents of children of all ages and stages. Helped me really look at my parenting and see whether I was really helping or hurting my child with my choices. I highly recommend to everyone!
Andrea Howard
quick easy read and very enjoyable. Gained a lot of perspective from my own upbringing and my relationship with my parents and why I am the way I am today. I've already put some of her techniques into practice. Must read!
Melanie
I think this book is very well written. She gives perfect real life examples and helps parents or someday parents a look at how our behavior will affect our children and how children deal with the world.
Sashi
Began on an interesting note, the concept is true, but seemed vaguely accusatory after a few pages. Better books on parenting have been written. The book was not as interesting as the title.
Amy
I read this book for the First Reads program. It was very preachy. I liked the thought process and had high hopes for the book, but it fizzled out and was more like reading a lecture.
Jessica
Thank you Goodreads and Loni Coombs for this eye opening book. It was well written and well thought out drawing upon years of experience within the judicial system.
Linda Weitkamp keith
Loved this book! People need to realize what horrible things we are teaching our kids these days!! Great perspective.
Brooke
A little self-congratulatory at the beginning but ultimately I liked her advice.
Connie Harms
Great advice on todays youth and how parents raise their children.
Sara
Well, written and informative. Not really my cup of tea but good.
Maureen Brummet
Maureen Brummet marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Brandon Maddux
Brandon Maddux is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2014
Chris Encarnacao
Chris Encarnacao marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Lama Sh a
Lama Sh a marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Kory
Kory marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Aj
Aj marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Megan Huff
Megan Huff marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Ginny
Ginny marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Reno Aditya
Reno Aditya marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
  • The Dinner Creations Cookbook
  • Eyes Wide Open
  • Waiting in Deep
  • DADspirations: The 1st 100 Days of Fatherhood. Tips for Parenting Every New Dad and Dad-to-Be Should Know.
  • Bliss Happens
  • The Book of Afformations: Discovering the Missing Piece to Abundant Health, Wealth, Love, and Happiness
  • The Eternal Nazi: From Mauthausen to Cairo, the Relentless Pursuit of SS Doctor Aribert Heim
  • Sleepless in Hollywood: Tales from the New Abnormal in the Movie Business
  • The Kids' Outdoor Adventure Book: 448 Great Things to Do in Nature Before You Grow Up
  • Wordcatcher: An Odyssey into the World of Weird and Wonderful Words
  • Mother of Rain
  • Crossing the Moon: A Memoir
  • Secrets of an Organized Mom: How to Declutter and Streamline Your Home for a Happier Family
  • Swagger: 10 Urgent Rules for Raising Boys in an Era of Failing Schools, Mass Joblessness, and Thug Culture
  • Cheaper Than Therapy: How To Forgive and Overcome Anger, Anxiety, Fear and Stress
  • Quick & Easy Paleo Comfort Foods: 100+ Delicious Gluten-Free Recipes
  • Moviemakers' Master Class: Private Lessons from the World's Foremost Directors
  • Cooking Well: Healthy Chinese: Over 125 Easy & Delicious Recipes
Loni Coombs grew up in Southern California, the third of seven adopted children. She attended Brigham Young University, graduating at the age of nineteen with a bachelor’s degree in psychology and minors in philosophy and music.

Work as a Prosecutor

In 1988, after graduating from Pepperdine Law School, Loni began her legal career as a criminal trial prosecutor for the Los Angeles County District Att...more
More about Loni Coombs...