Start by marking “If Life Is A Game, These Are The Rules” as Want to Read:
If Life Is A Game, These Are The Rules

If Life Is A Game, These Are The Rules

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  828 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
Inspirational advice is offered front and back on each card of this 50-card deck. Readers can post the beautifully illustrated cards in their home, office, or car to serve as reminders that success and personal well-being are up to the individual.
Published April 3rd 2002 by Hay House (first published January 1st 1998)

Ethar
Oct 24, 2010 Ethar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب خفيف
أسلوبه جميل، حكمه مقنعة وبسيطة

مناسب جدا كهدية لأولئك المتذمرين دوما وأبداً، بالإضافة إلى الذين مروا بقصص مؤذية ومؤلمة في حياتهم

يمكن قراءته خلال رحلة بالطائرة أو بالقطار =]
Brenda Deflem
Well...if it was all that easy, all we had to do was to read this book, live by the rules of life and all end up completely feeling zen and hopping around full of happiness. Something tells me it doesn't work that way. She definitely got some points in her writing, but she just makes it sound like a walk in the park; like a button you can switch on after reading the "golden manual" and if it's not successful, then you don't have the right attitude or didn't quite understand "the rules of life". ...more
Reem_M_140A513
I found this book very useful, it is tremendously filled with helpful information, and from its name we can tell that it provides some kind of guidance and instruction.
It actually helps people or its readers to understand themselves, and others and the life around them, and it talks about human development and behavior, it is somewhat psychological but a bit more interesting, because it does not go deep into psychology, yet it gives absolute meaningful examples that are true stories to specify a
Nancy Fuller
Jul 22, 2008 Nancy Fuller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. This is a small easy to read book with very profound truths that make you really think. The rules also make you more aware of how you are living your life.
I highly recommend it to others
Anthony Tenaglier
The concept of the book is great. Life is a game. The rules are concise, but the examples for me are not personalized enough. When I read a book, I look forward to the author's experiences. Especially in self help. Because a book is like getting into the mind of a person. I want to know more about how she is playing the game of life. It's one thing to state them and present them with "off the shelf" examples. It's another to show the ups and downs of her experiences and when she doesn't follow t ...more
Tereca Moore
Great rules....way too "wordy."
Ling
Sep 18, 2015 Ling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book and the lessons it has to teach. It had a lot of similar concepts that pull from spirituality and religions like Buddhism that I could relate to and it was described in ways that was easy to grasp and understand.
CG FEWSTON
Dec 18, 2014 CG FEWSTON rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If Life is a Game, These are the Rules (1998) by Chérie Carter-Scott was first introduced as “Ten Rules for Being Human” in Chicken Soup for the Soul and has since spread its wisdom across the globe. The sage-like advice at times is simple and filled with common sense while at other times it penetrates deep into the soul of the human being capable of mindless mistakes or proactive change.

“While reading this book,” writes Chérie, “you will begin to see your life from a whole new perspective. If
Mona
Sep 10, 2015 Mona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
من الأشياء التي لم تعجبني في الكتاب:

-ذكرت بعض الحكم و الأقوال نسبتها لكُتاب وغيرهم وهي في الحقيقة احاديث وآيات وُجِدت قبلهم.

وذكرت في القانون الثامن حكاية صديقاً لها في الجامعة كان دائماً يقول:" لا تأسف على ما مضى ولكن على الأشياء التي لم تفعلها". ماوجدته مناقضاً حول عدم التذكر والتأسي والتعلق بالماضي والندم..

من الأقوال التي اعجبتني:
- انك اذا اردت ان تقلع عن شي او تفعل شي وتلتزم به فعليك اختياره بأقتناع لا تفكر انه واجب عليك لانك ستشعر بالتضحية وتتراجع او تتعب بفعله.
-الصبر على التغيير ليست مهمة س
Shaimaa Mohamed
Nov 05, 2011 Shaimaa Mohamed is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
اقرأ الان كتاب " إذا كانت الحياه لعبه ... فتلك هي قوانينها " ... عباره عن قصص إنسانيه حقيقيه مؤثره ... بعدالإنتهاء من قراءه كل قصه تجد ان نفسك قداكتسبت روح إنسانيه جديده ... و الجميل ان القصص لأناس من اديان مختلفه .. ما يجمعهم هو أنهم جميعاً " إنــــسان "
Sara
Nov 30, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very powerful read, very short - read it in a day and it was very inspiring.
Sandra
Oct 28, 2009 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice easy read with simple reminders
Robert C.
Sure, it's sensible advice in a new-age, materialistic way, and you could say that some of the points have a little depth, but its not really life transforming stuff - not really. And a lot of it made me cringe.

The below represents what I remember, but some of it might be what I already knew before. And those two things might not be the same thing.

Rule 1: You will receive a body.
This kinda puts Cherie in the 'mind is not brain' camp and recommends to us that we should look after our body.

Rule 2:
FreshGrads .Sg
Jun 22, 2010 FreshGrads .Sg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever wondered if life were a game, then what were the rules? If you did, this compact book of common sense and ten principles on how to get the best out of life is perfect for you.

As practical guide to one of her self-development workshops, Cherie Carter-Scott came up with her list of basic yet essential truths to life. She has a PhD in human and organisational development and for nearly 30 years, worked as a life coach, international lecturer, consultant as well as author. Her other bo
Moe A
Sep 01, 2015 Moe A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice little book to carry around and read in your short breaks. Enjoyed it thoroughly, very easy to read and navigate. Only reason I didn't give it a 5-star is because the information in it wasn't new to me as I had already read a lot of self-help books, it was basic level. Would highly recommend it to people who haven't read a lot in self-help.
Gala Balaguer
Sep 07, 2014 Gala Balaguer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book very much. I feel that it is a book that I will be picking up again throughout the years for guidance. The sections that especially stood out to me were Willingness, Unattachement, Humor, and Clarity.
Bonnie S.
I have read this one many times. I have a highlighted copy next to my bed. I've just read it again, mostly the highlighted areas, which is just about the whole book. A great book to have and give as a gift.
Michelle J
Aug 01, 2014 Michelle J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book worth reading. So many lessons to learn in this book in which that is what life is practically all about in every individual that crosses your path.
Sheree
Jan 29, 2013 Sheree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this little book during a very confusing time. It helped to calm my "now" and helped me imagine a "new". I absolutely believe that making a list of my own needs - the needs God created in me - and list the characteristics of the people i needed around me allowed me to focus and create clarity. Without that I would have stayed in the pit of confused co-dependence. It's a vicious destructive place. She refers to the universe but for me that's easy to translate to God. Why ask the waiter how ...more
Aysha Altunaiji
Nov 04, 2014 Aysha Altunaiji rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
So far so good . The book guides u toward the 10 rules of being human . It opens ur eyes toward things u thought u know
Dina
Nov 24, 2014 Dina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful motivational book on how to get the best out of yourself-i enjoyed it a lot.
Highly recommended
Jan
Apr 01, 2010 Jan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
When I first flipped through this book, I thought all of the stories were by famous people, because I saw one by Nelson Mandela. However, he ended up being the only person I recognized in the book. These were stories by "real" people. Which doesn't make the book bad; it's just not what I was expecting.

That having been said, this book was pretty schmaltzy and sappy. And I'm pretty sure at least one of the stories was total BS. But there were a few kernels of goodness here and there. I didn't hate
Mari
Aug 10, 2010 Mari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody who wants to make a dream into a reality
Shelves: own
Uh, I don't like the English title. I think the Finnish translation of the title describes this book better even though the Finnish one is also a bit "crazy" for me ("Onnistumisen aakkoset: 10 ohjetta, joilla tehdä hulluista haaveista täyteläistä elämää" - how to turn crazy dreams into fulfilling life); I have a Finnish copy of this book. It may be a platitude that success is what makes you feel successful but this book encouraged me to turn a dream into a objective (and sub-objectives) for whic ...more
Lilian
Aug 26, 2012 Lilian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, self-help
I couldn't finish the book the first time I read it because I kept crying. It just kept hitting home for me, and obviously, painfully, I needed to learn these "simple" rules if it kept affecting me that much.

This time I vowed to finish it. Nearly didn't, just took longer to read it all the way through. Some may think these tips or advice are very common or too simplistic, but that's why I find it harder to learn. Life lessons so simple, yet a lot of humans manage to forget.

I am putting this book
M Hassan Mahmoud
One of the books that I would like to read it again and again to remind myself of those MARVELOUS 10 rules :)
UmAzzan Al Riyamia
Read this book as a young adult and I think it helped me grow up
Delhi Irc
Location: GG7 IRC
Accession No: DL027273
Saja Elgredly
Jun 24, 2014 Saja Elgredly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple calming and useful
Colt
May 04, 2013 Colt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A great read
Everything in this book I already knew; I simply forgot it! The wisdom in this book brought me back to universal truths that are true. I especially appreciated the part about accepting myself as I am as I have been harsh to myself over the years as if what my body looks or feels like is the barometer of my self-worth. IT IS NOT. I will refer to it frequently when I need to shine some light into remembering who I really am. This book is not a rule book to follow but a truth book to ge
Loretta Sause
Jul 11, 2015 Loretta Sause rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great. Read often.
  • Fat, Broke & Lonely No More: Your Personal Solution to Overeating, Overspending, and Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places
  • If... (If..., #1)
  • The Magic Lamp: Goal Setting for People Who Hate Setting Goals
  • Easier Than You Think ...because life doesn't have to be so hard: The Small Changes That Add Up to a World of Difference
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • No Turning Back: One Man's Inspiring True Story of Courage, Determination, and Hope
  • Chicken Soup for the Girlfriend's Soul: Celebrating the Friends Who Cheer Us Up, Cheer Us On and Make Our Lives Complete (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Bobblehead Dad: 25 Life Lessons I Forgot I Knew
  • The Courage to Be Yourself: A Woman's Guide to Emotional Strength and Self-Esteem / Sue Patton Thoele
  • How to Simplify Your Life: Seven Practical Steps to Letting Go of Your Burdens and Living a Happier Life
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • How: Why How We Do Anything Means Everything...in Business (and in Life)
  • Frumpy to Fabulous: Flaunting It. Your Ultimate Guide to Effortless Style
  • Wabi Sabi Love: The Ancient Art of Finding Perfect Love in Imperfect Relationships
  • Life Makeovers: 52 Practical & Inspiring Ways to Improve Your Life One Week at a Time
  • The Procrastinator's Handbook: Mastering the Art of Doing It Now
  • A Year of Living Consciously: 365 Daily Inspirations for Creating a Life of Passion and Purpose
  • The Mind of the Soul: Responsible Choice

“Remind yourself often that self-esteem is ephemeral. You will have it, lose it, cultivate it, nurture it, and be forced to rebuild it over and over again.” 6 likes
“Other people are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself.” 6 likes