Start by marking “Monster Chefs” as Want to Read:
Monster Chefs

Monster Chefs

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The horribly horrible monster king summoned his four equally horrible chefs.

"I am tired of eating only eyeballs and ketchup," roared the king.
"Find me something new to eat or you will find yourselves on my menu!"

Trembling with fear, they each set off in a different direction to look for something truly scrumptious. But what, besides eyeballs and ketchup, could a monster ki
Published March 18th 2014 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Monster Chefs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monster Chefs

Yeah, yeah, I'm a jerk for not loving a book co-written by a five-year-old. Heard it all before.

The thing is, this starts out really well: "The king happened to be a horribly horrible monster, which made him an excellent king" Wonderful beginning!
The ending involved eyeballs so is obviously also delightful.
It's the middle that tripped my things up.
I understand why there is repetition but I would have liked different answers from the different delectables encountered and I got bored and barely ev
Amy Fournier
*Actual rating 3.5 stars

What a fun book this one was!! I was a little worried about the whole monster thing because my daughter gets scared easily, but she really loved this one. The Monster King is not very nice and he orders this chefs to go find him something new to eat or he will eat them. I liked seeing the different things that they brought back and what The King thought about them.

Each chef goes a different direction to find something for The King. They are all on the verge of giving up w
My kids had me read this several times and at the end of the book there is a recipe for Eyeball Cupcakes which inspired my kids to cook. It was so funny to them that the monsters only ever ate eyeballs and ketchup. The Monster King summoned his four chefs and threatened them to find him something new to eat or they would end up on the menu. When three of them were unlucky I was surprised by their blind loyalty to their King. They willingly resigned themselves to return home to be prepped, served ...more
I received a free copy of this book through the GoodReads First Reads giveaways.

My three year old son could not wait for me to read this book to him. I told him we would read it after lunch and he kept asking me every five minutes to read it to him as he was really attracted to the cover. When we finally sat down to read the story, my son was still and captivated through the whole reading. That is quite an accomplishment. The illustrations are wonderful, full of color and entertaining. The story
Age: Toddler-Kindergarten
Food: Cupcakes

I feel like this book had a lot of potential but fell short on the somewhat boring illustrations and the developing (or stagnant) plot. It appears as though Anderson was trying to imitate Axe Cop (both books are co-created with child and son) but Anderson was too controlling of his child's imagination.

I do like that the monsters only eat eyeballs and ketchup. No words were truer said by a child.
Rebecca Ann
I think this would be a great selection for an older reader (1st or 2cnd grade). The bright colors and rich, complex illustration were AWESOME. The story itself might be a little much for sensitive readers with the threat of being eaten being a major theme and, of course, eating eyeballs. A great book for a monster story time to be paired with the eyeball cupcake recipe in back!
This has a "traditional storytelling" feel to me and I could see acting this out for a school age storytime. The monster king is tired of eating ketchup covered eyeballs and sends his four chefs to the four ends of the earth to find him something new a tasty to eat. Three are tricked by their animal entrees, but the last monster brings a surprise that changes monster diets everywhere.
This is a delightful read for young children, which, while fun, also left me with the sentiment "gross" at the end, haha. It is fun, and great for all children because of its gender neutrality, repetition, and wonderful pictures. The recipe at the end of the book makes the story come alive! It is one that I look forward to sharing with my own children someday.
Jenn C
Monster Chefs was a cute read, perfect for the 5-8 crowd and excellent for a group read-aloud. The monsters were fuzzy and cute - no scariness here. Plenty of humour, but also the repetition that preschoolers love.
This was strange. The idea is okay, maybe even super cute, but the illustrations look like they are sketched and were never completely finished. I liked the beginning and end but was bored during the middle of the story.

And the font was not appealing. If they could have fixed a few things this could have been awesome!
This picture book is so long. I guess it was co-written by the author's son, but he must have a massive attention span. I got bored reading this. The only cute thing was the recipe for eyeball cupcakes at the end, but you can find that in pretty much any kids' cookbook.

A miss.
The monster king has grown tired of the same old food and sends his 4 chefs to seek out a new dish. The chefs head in all different directions and encounter seemingly perfect dishes that all warn if you eat them, you will become them. It is the 4th chef though who brings back a pastry chef who helps the monsters discover cupcakes!

Reads like a modern day fairytale making this a fresh read aloud for PreK-2+, especially because the monsters are less scary, more odd, and at times reminiscent of the
I was slightly worried that it was going to get scary when they started talking about eating the monsters. The girls loved the ending. Don't know if I want to add it to the shelf but I would check it out in the library again
It was ok. It did have a difficult time keeping my attention even being a kids book. Again, just one of those books that I thought the storyline was "a dime a dozen", but the illustrations were adorable.
Tired of eating only eyeballs and ketchup, a horrible king sends his four monster chefs out to find something different for him to eat, with surprising results.
4 monster chefs must find a new food for the king because he is tired of eating his usual fare of eyeballs with ketchup. All but one of the monsters fails.
Sara Grochowski
When the horribly horrible monster king grows tired of only eating eyeballs and ketchup, his four chefs set off to find something new to please his palate - or be eaten themselves. One by one, the chefs return home, each having been foiled by a clever rabbit, fish, or snake. As three of the chefs smother themselves in ketchup, the fourth chef returns to the kingdom with an innovative (and sweet!) surprise that saves the day! A monstrous tale filled with creativity and cupcakes, MONSTER CHEFS is ...more
Ann Williams
A fun book with some interesting characters. I especially like the creativity of the fourth monster chef and the way she solved the problem. Enjoy!
Monica Williams
Monsters are really not that bright. For those who like their monsters with a dash of scary and some silly this will be a hit. Everyone else- pass.
Jill Cd
Funny story with appealing illustrations. While I can see most kids liking it, I know my boy students in k-2 will love this book.
too long for PSST, but would work for 4-8 year-old Halloween program. includes recipe in the back
Darkly funny and clever, with a recipe for eyeball cupcakes at the end. #winning
great art and clever story for monster lovers in pre-k/k. Plus a recipe at the end!
Cute. P wasn't interested yet.
Apr 09, 2014 Trish rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: je, 2014
This is a cute book about monsters.
Eyeballs and ketchup are on the menu ..... AGAIN! Well, the king has had enough and sends his chefs out to find a new delicacy but the chefs find out that not all edible things want to be eaten. What to do, cause if they don't bring back something yummy THEY'RE gonna be dinner. Really cute twist at the end. Kids loved this one.
Jun 07, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-new
This is another cute story that my kids enjoy. Not surprisingly, my son seems most interested in it. And he’s particularly excited about the recipe in the back for “Eyeball Cupcakes” — no, I haven’t made them. Maybe around Halloween? We’ll see. The illustrations are cute, too — especially when we consider that these monsters eat eyeballs and ketchup! It’s not one of my absolute favorites, but my kids like it enough for me to call it a keeper! :)
Great for older kids.
Goodreads Librari...: Same name as another Author 3 162 Aug 25, 2013 01:41PM
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • A Piece of Cake
  • Bedtime for Monsters
  • Oliver's Tree
  • Burger Boy
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • There's a Lion in My Cornflakes
  • Sebastian and the Balloon
  • All for Pie, Pie for All
  • If You Were a Dog
  • Robot Zombie Frankenstein!
  • Thelonius Monster's Sky-High Fly-Pie
  • Love Monster
  • Catching Kisses
  • The Monsterator
  • Lion, Lion
  • Worst in Show
  • The Case of the Missing Donut

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Creator of the syndicated comic, "Dog eat Doug". Upcoming books include "Monster Chefs" and "The Conjurers" series from Crown Books.

Lifelong Whovian, magician and puppet enthusiast. Dreams of being stranded on a space station with Ernest Hemingway, Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker and Guillermo Del Toro.
More about Brian Anderson...