Start by marking “The Planets” as Want to Read:
The Planets

The Planets

Since The Planets was first published in 1993, space exploration has resulted in many new discoveries which are now covered in this revised edition.
Published March 31st 2005 by Holiday House (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Planets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Planets

Jun 22, 2016 Tara rated it liked it
Shelves: c-t-reviews
This book would be a great introduction to the planets. It provides fun facts and could serve as a jumping off point for more detailed exploration into one planet (for individual student projects) or to make decisions about the next step in terms of exploring outer space and what captures the interest of your students. The illustrations show, to scale (I am not sure how accurate this is), the planets, providing students with a nice visual aid. The back of the book has a great section called "Mor ...more
Sarah Wurster
The Planets is a great non-fiction book with a great explanation of the difference between a planet and a star. This book begins by giving the history of how planets were discovered and how the planets orbit. Next, it gives a brief but thorough description of all nine planets in order of their closeness to the sun beginning with Mercury. The illustrations are well labeled on all pages. The planet of Pluto does not contain the most current findings that Pluto is now considered a dwarf planet. I t ...more
Melody Wolen
Reading Level: 2nd grade
This nonfiction picture book titled The Planets by Gail Gibbons is a great book to introduce children to the subject of the solar system. It gives a general over-view of all the planets in our solar system and has interesting and eye-catching illustrations. The Planets provides some great facts and goes through each individual planet to give really detailed information. This text would set the stage in my classroom for a deeper look into space and the planets since it cap
Kelly Francis
Aug 21, 2015 Kelly Francis rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to use when studying the planets it is filled with facts and wonderful pictures. It is easy to read and understand and can be used for reading and science. The fact that Pluto is no longer considered a planet must be discussed. But I think it provides a wonderful opportunity to talk abnut what does and does not qualify as a planet. Also it teaches students that our knowledge is always changing, science is about constantly discovering new information and that is what makes i ...more
Kathryn Conrad
Dec 02, 2012 Kathryn Conrad rated it really liked it
To some, outer space is a world of the unknown. Gail Gibbons explores this unknown in her book entitled, "The Planets." With factual information and vivid pictures, Gibbons explains each planet that makes up the solar system individually and describes how they function in the solar system. This book also highlights the history of the solar system from early times to present day. This book discusses astronauts and how they view outer space in comparison with the average person. Find out about the ...more
Rachel Lee
May 05, 2014 Rachel Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: lcrt-5795, facts, opinions
This book goes along with an ELD unit that we teach at my school
Apr 23, 2014 Teri rated it liked it
Shelves: space
This is a factual book about the nine planets in our solar system. It includes definitions of words, such as telescope and what the world planet derives from. It includes the amount of time it takes to rotate around the sun and how long it takes for it to rotate on its axis. I would use this book for fourth grade to help students demonstrate the relative size and order from the sun of the planets in the solar
Oct 24, 2009 Miranda rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book provides excellent factual information about our solar system, from the history of the study of planets to modern times. (The edition I picked up still lists Pluto as a planet, so I would recommend finding a newer version if planning to use it in the classroom.) Simple facts paired with vivid illustrations cover the basics of our solar system and provide a framework for future study in the field.
I'm sure you're tired of me saying this but we love Gail Gibbons books around here.

This one is a bit dated now that they've gone and demoted Pluto. The book is a good, solid introduction to the planets, but you will need to talk about the new classification for Pluto. Or pair it with a more current book or internet resources.
Laura Rogers
May 18, 2009 Laura Rogers rated it really liked it
Gail Gibbons has excellent non-fiction for the younger set. I love the factual information presented in small and easy to understand pieces. If you need a little more than Gibbons offers, check out Seymour Simon, who was books (like Gibbons) on many, many subjects. His are a bit more text heavy and have excellent photos.
Jun 08, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
A really excellent book for an introduction to the planets. It doesn't go into great depth, mostly because there are 9, not 8, no 8 1/2 planets, but each one gets a small section.

Use with actual pictures for greater impact. This is a good jumping off point for learning about each planet separately.
Apr 18, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-content
Author: Gail Gibbons
Grade Level: 1-3
Content: Solar system, plants, outer space

This is a factual book regarding the planets. It refers to each planet's characteristics. It is very colorful. I would have student make books about the planets and this book could be used as a reference book.
Dec 27, 2013 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Illustrated (not photographed) book that is a perfect first solar system/planets book to check out from the library. And the latest edition explains the demotion of Pluto.
Ouida Robinson
May 03, 2015 Ouida Robinson rated it liked it
Author: Gail Gibbons

Title: The Planets

Plot: This is a book about the planets. It describes and explains all the of planets in the solar system.

Theme: Science

Style: Nonfiction

Notes: This is an excellent book to teach the solar system.
Chris Cherney
Jun 19, 2012 Chris Cherney rated it really liked it
This informational book was published in 1993. Gibbons does a wonderful job of engaging the reader using a variety of text features. There are numerous facts that keep the reader interested in the story and can be used for grades K-8.
Molly Darr
Apr 11, 2011 Molly Darr added it
Shelves: science
This is a non-fiction book about planets. Although it is an older book it was still full of great information. The pictures were real life photographs so the children could visually understand.
Kathryn Joyce
Apr 18, 2012 Kathryn Joyce rated it it was amazing
Colorful book that introduces the planets. Would be useful as a book to touch on in grades k-2, but I would also use it during space unit in grade 4.
Jessica Hancock
Dec 02, 2013 Jessica Hancock rated it really liked it
Shelves: 30-pre-2000
Great illustrations that help to support the text. It would be great in an older elementary classroom but still accessible to the younger grades as well.
Sarah Sammis
Although the text has been updated the illustrations haven't. It feels very dated. I think I read the first edition as a child.
Dec 19, 2008 Katherine rated it it was amazing
I've been impressed with how much the boys, only 3 and 5, absorbed from this book!
Jul 05, 2008 Alfajirikali rated it it was amazing
Perfectly worded, nicely illustrated, and presented well for young ones.
Mar 17, 2009 Christian rated it it was amazing
After I read this book, we found Saturn in the night sky!
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Mirrlees Williams
Mirrlees Williams marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Bobby rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
mRose marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
  • Leonardo's Horse
  • Why I Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup, & Yawn
  • Katie and the Mona Lisa
  • Red-eyed Tree Frog
From I was born in Oak Park, Illinois, in 1944. Even as a little child, I was always busy putting books together. Sometimes I would bind them with yarn to hold the pages together. I've always loved drawing and painting. I was also a very curious child. My parents tell me that I was always asking lots and lots of questions.

Later, I went on to the University of Illinois, where I stu
More about Gail Gibbons...