Start by marking “Witchcraft In England 1945” as Want to Read:
Witchcraft In England 1945

Witchcraft In England 1945

A brief survey which gives a general impression of witchcraft in England as it appeared when all believed in it and in the subsequent period when doubt was in the ascendant. Illustrated. Contents: Art of magic; Witchcraft and religion; Maleficium; Familiars; Discovery of witches; Fraud and malice; Alien worship; White witch; Witchcraft in high places; Prophets and ...more
Paperback
Published by Kessinger Publishing (first published January 1st 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Witchcraft In England 1945, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witchcraft In England 1945

Allyson Shaw
Feb 23, 2011 Allyson Shaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating history, full of sympathy and understatement. The illustrations by Peake are lively, human and strange.
Kate
This book primarily serves as--and is best when considered as--a collection of anecdotes from English history. Author Christina Hole does try to organize the chapters by theme, but unfortunately the book actually suffers for it: many of the historical events defy easy categorization, so some degree of repetition is required. Occasionally multiple generations of a family will be involved--I think here specifically of the Device family--and that family name comes up several times, in the span of ...more
Carli
Mar 26, 2014 Carli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading Witchcraft In England and found it quite informative. I appreciated her documented accounted of multiple witchcraft cases with direct quotes from those involved. I also enjoyed learning more about the common beliefs associated with witchcraft and magic in England between 1200 and 1900. I was very excited to learn the details about certain magical believes and practices such as those having to do with sympathetic magic, image-making, and the power of the breath.
The only area whe
Aaron Meyer
Aug 05, 2013 Aaron Meyer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult
A typical book in the genre. It covers up to some very late cases, one of which was in the mid 20th century. There are many cases which are presented which I had read about before but many that I hadn't, so was pleasantly surprised. I felt the inclusion of a dialogue about John Dee wasn't overly useful and could of been done without considering he has been dealt with extensively elsewhere. A couple times in the book she makes reference to Margaret Murray's work with somewhat a reverant tone, ...more
Aleina
Feb 20, 2016 Aleina rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
This book was extremely interesting especially in the time and occasion it was found. My dad found it out in the shed when I was doing some recent studies on witchcraft and so I was quite taken into reading it. The book itself is very informative and the old look it has drew me to it even more. If you can find it, I may consider you to read it if you've been curious, interested in or may want to know a few more facts about this witch-craft.
James Rhodes
May 01, 2012 James Rhodes rated it it was ok
There are a lot of excellent stories about witchcraft in this collection but the majority of them defer to The Discoverie of Witches as a source with little to no historical investigation to accompany them. There is no underlying thesis that Hole is attempting to convince the reader of and structure is rambling at best.
Karen
Sep 27, 2011 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It's odd to put a book on witchcraft in non-fiction, but it's really a history of the belief in witches and magic and a history of the persecution of witches in England. The book is well-written and interesting, although the author occasionally sounds like she believes in what she's talking about.
Atzin Morales
An interesting read I picked out from the CG Jung Institute library in Los Angeles. I found the part with Familiars to be of much interest but overall the books editing and order felt scattered about and half-assed.
Lauren
3.5 stars. Quick and interesting read, but old and likely outdated. I wouldn't put it on a "must read" list, but wouldn't encourage against reading it if one happened to come across it, either.
O. W.
O. W. rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Myrte
Myrte rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Kaitlin
Kaitlin rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2014
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
May 07, 2013
Dave Sharp
Dave Sharp rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2014
JJ
JJ rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2012
Svana Hildolfsdottir
Svana Hildolfsdottir rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2009
TOM
TOM rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Charles Schneider
Charles Schneider rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2013
Mat Joiner
Mat Joiner rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Nik
Nik rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2012
Cassandra
Cassandra rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Edward Higgins
Edward Higgins rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2013
Anmol Patel
Anmol Patel rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Sharon Thorwarth seeley
Sharon Thorwarth seeley rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2013
Thora
Thora rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2015
Jerry
Jerry rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Travis Shores
Travis Shores rated it it was ok
Sep 22, 2012
John  Ervin
John Ervin rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2009