Start by marking “Dog Training For Dummies” as Want to Read:
Dog Training For Dummies

Dog Training For Dummies (For Dummies)

That innocent face. Those sad, puppy-dog eyes. Let's face it: puppies can make anyone's heart melt. But without proper training, they can make even the most doting doggie moms and dads' blood pressure soar. So before your new puppy has you jumping through hoops, stop and ask yourself, "Just who is the trainer here?" Dog Training for Dummies, 2nd Edition, shows you how to s ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by Wiley Publishing (first published January 15th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Training For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Training For Dummies

Bárbara
Apr 30, 2016 Bárbara rated it liked it
good book for beginners but from the half to the end it concentrates on training for winning prizes and stuff in which I dislike very much. my dog is now half-well-trained and that is absolutely good and essencial to our comunication, but animals in general are inocent and lovable, we should not want to win money with them, we should not focus on the breed, we should not buy animals at all. there are many lovable friends in shelters that need our love and help.
Mackenziedugas
Sep 22, 2013 Mackenziedugas rated it it was ok
Dog Training for Dummies by Jack and Wendy Volhard ©2005 (a dog training guide) wasn’t a great book. I think it is a good beginner guide to dog training but explains mainly just the basic commands. It does, however; go deep into explanation on why a dog does or doesn’t listen. For example if the dog isn’t sitting when you want him to sit, most likely it is you. Think about your tone of voice or your posture. Use a firm, not necessarily loud but distinct voice when talking to your dog. Don’t hang ...more
Stacy
Aug 25, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm giving this 4 stars because it's convinced me that there is hope that our from-the-pound dog will someday understand the concept of yard=bathroom.

But...if it doesn't work, I'm coming back and taking away 2 stars ;)
Domonic
Jan 02, 2011 Domonic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for Max, my friend Jude's miniature schnauzer that I have recently filed for possession of.

I'm still yet to perfect the nose-snatch of a dog biscuit left on Max's nose ... A new years res ...
Gareth Burrows
Aug 05, 2013 Gareth Burrows rated it really liked it
For such a broad subject, considering different breads behave differently, this is a well structured and solid introduction to the minds of dogs, their owners and how to train both of them. Ultimately if you are training a dog to be a good pet, this book will likely cover your needs
Jacob Miller
Feb 26, 2011 Jacob Miller rated it liked it
Very good to start, but gets way into how to make your dog perform in shows and what is required. If you're looking for more focus on how to train your dogs on the basics with different techniques, move on.
Deirdre
Mar 12, 2010 Deirdre rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
Good tips for training your dog, and lots of information about ways to keep your dog's behavior in check (like info about agility training, etc.).
Kayla
Mar 15, 2011 Kayla rated it it was amazing
This book explains so much and has simple, common sense answers to real problems. I would very highly recommend this book to anyone who is (or will be) a dog owner.
Sarah Castillo
Sep 01, 2011 Sarah Castillo rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is really great for beginners but doesn't have any information that isn't available on online dog training resources.
Padhopper
Dec 01, 2011 Padhopper rated it really liked it
I found this book extremely helpful, especially when trying to curb negative dog behaviour. A must have, if you are a first time dog parent, like I was.
Vive-un-Livre
I'm sure had I done everything this book says to do, I'd have a really well trained dog. As it is, I have a semi-trained very intelligent best friend who makes his own choices.
Poppy Jen
Nov 12, 2011 Poppy Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Read this before we brought our puppy home and found it full of helpful ideas and useful information for training. Will check back in with it frequently.
Randy Loveless
Feb 28, 2009 Randy Loveless rated it liked it
Useful tool for learning the basics of dog training with positive reinforcement. Easy reading format.
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
May 11, 2012
Michelle Bird
Michelle Bird rated it liked it
May 26, 2009
Kara
Kara rated it liked it
May 13, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Laurie Kingsley
Laurie Kingsley rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2011
Elena
Elena rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Kratzekatzeami
Kratzekatzeami rated it really liked it
May 03, 2015
Stefanie
Stefanie rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2011
Jess
Some useful tips, but nothing too insightful.
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Janet Ashley
Janet Ashley rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2008
Rose
Rose rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2016
Daniel A. Cavuoto
Daniel A. Cavuoto rated it did not like it
Jan 16, 2015
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2015
MissMak
MissMak rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2011
  • Dogs for Dummies
  • The Key to Your Child's Heart
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training
  • Puppies For Dummies
  • Mythology for Dummies
  • Mother Knows Best: The Natural Way to Train Your Dog
  • Louder Than Words: The Power of Uncompromised Living
  • The MoneySmart Family System: Teaching Financial Independence to Children of Every Age
  • The Culture Clash
  • Chihuahuas for Dummies
  • Fitness for Dummies
  • Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training
  • Covenant Marriage: Building Communication and Intimacy

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 79 books)
  • A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies