Start by marking “El Sancocho del Sábado: Spanish paperback edition of Saturday Sancocho” as Want to Read:
El Sancocho del Sábado: Spanish paperback edition of Saturday Sancocho

El Sancocho del Sábado: Spanish paperback edition of Saturday Sancocho

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The paperback Spanish edition of the Reading Rainbow Featured Selection

Every Saturday, Maria Lili looks forward to making chicken sancocho with her grandparents Mama Ana and Papa Angelino. But one Saturday they discover that there is nothing in the house except eggs, and Maria Lili wonders how they will ever be able to have their favorite meal. Mama Ana has a plan, though,
Published March 31st 1999 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published April 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about El Sancocho del Sábado, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Sancocho del Sábado

A family comprised of grandparents and granddaughter with her dog find one Saturday they are too poor to buy the ingredients for their usual Saturday dinner, Sancocho (chicken stew). The grandmother takes the dozen eggs they have and barters her way to a wonderful Sancocho. There is a recipe in the back of the book, which I posted to our class Blackboard account.

Next time I read this, I think I will bring in some of the ingredients: green plantains, casava, cilantro, and cumin.

I paired this book
This story about a Saturday tradition, written by a Colombian native, is steeped in Latin American culture. María Lilí and her grandparents make sancocho (a traditional stew in a number of Latin American countries) every Saturday, but on this Saturday there is nothing in the house but eggs. With no money to buy the ingredients they need, María Lilí and her grandmother must think of another way to make their sancocho. Students not only see traditional foods from other countries, but also family s ...more
Jazmin Palma
I enjoyed reading this book. It brought back memories about when I use to live in Mexico. My family also cooks a similar dish like sancocho, which has chicken and different vegetables.
I would also use this book to teach children how to trade just like grandma did in the book to get all she needed to do her sancocho. I would set up our own little market in the classroom and have different students in the market selling their vegetables and chicken and a couple of students would have to trade wha
I love this book! It brought back many memories of my childhood as well as connected the cultural experiences of the child telling the story. The idea of the book is to bring to life the culture and familial connections experienced by the family members involved. I read it to my class, and they loved it. All of us started talking about all the different ways we prepare sancocho at home. What a great connection across cultures!
Saturday Sancocho is about a young girl and her grandmother in a Central or South American home that barter a dozen eggs for all of the ingredients for their Sancocho (stew). The book even includes the recipe at the end, which could make for a very fun interactive lesson and read aloud. I think this book can be very beneficial to our ELL students from Central or South America that may be familiar with bartering or making this stew, Sancocho.
Ashlyn Barker
This book would be good if I was teaching a lesson about a specific culture, but otherwise this book was not fantastic. I enjoyed the way they traded and were resourceful, but I feel like the book wouldn't engage students as much as I would like.
Katelyn says, "I liked the doggy. Its name is "Snow" (Nube in Spanish). It looks like Ryley! And the kitty looked like Moe. Other people would like the book because it has a kitty and there's 2 doggies."
Megan Richards
Maria Lili visits her grandparents every and they prepare a special chicken sancocho. This particular Saturday, there was no money for sancocho so Mama Ana teaches her how to take a dozen eggs to the market and trade for the other ingredients that they need for sancocho. I personally find the illustrations generic, but they do compliment the story. The story is heart warming as the reader sees the relationship between the two generations as the knowledge and workings of the small community marke ...more
A story about a girl and her grandmother's trip to the market to barter their eggs for ingredients they need for sancocho. Introduces kids to bartering, which maybe they're not familiar with, and perhaps some ingredients they don't know that go into this traditional Latin American dish. Illustrations worked really well with the story.
This book is not set in a certain time era. Yet it can be used to teach students about bartering. A young girl sets off with her grandmother to get ingredients for a special soup. They only have one dozen eggs and no money. In the end they turn their eggs into all of the needed ingredients including a whole chicken.
Economics topic: trade and barter Grades 2-5

You can use this book to teach the use of money of exchange is more efficient than bartering because money reduces the cost of trade. This is also a great multicultural text.
This book is about a girl and her grandparents. Every Saturday they make sancocho. On this particular day, they don't have any ingredients so they go to the market and trade people for what they need.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This goes well with Mama Provi and the Pot of Rice by Sylvia Rosa-Casanova, because both books deal with trading to get the ingredients you need to cook a dish.
Good for lesson on trading
Database marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Ruth added it
Jul 25, 2015
Emily added it
Jul 17, 2015
Julissa Ruiz
Julissa Ruiz marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Julian added it
Feb 18, 2015
Monica Angulo
Monica Angulo marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Al added it
Jan 31, 2015
Joseph Perez
Joseph Perez marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015