Start by marking “Der Sturm” as Want to Read:

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  704 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
"The Storm" is a short story by the American writer Kate Chopin, written in 1898. It did not appear in print in Chopin's lifetime; it was published in 1969. This story is the sequel to Chopin's At the Cadian Ball.
Published (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Der Sturm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Sturm

Carol
2.5 Stars

Well....Well....Well....Lucky storm it appears for Alce and his wife Clarisse, but not so Calixta's husband Bobint.......I don't think???

Kate Chopin sure wrote some strange short stories!

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
Calixta, a young wife, is alone at home working with her sewing machine. Her husband and young son are away and decided not to come home yet to let the approaching storm pass. A former admirer Alcee passes by the house as the wind and rain begin to grow strong. He asks, and is allowed, inside.

They both recall one Christian Feast Day, the Assumption, when they were still both single and had kissed and kissed passionately. This remembrance after the storm has led them to another kiss, and more--

"T
Julia Gorning
Aug 27, 2013 Julia Gorning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having already read this piece, imagine my discomfort at having my literature teacher read this aloud as an example of how to do a close reading.... She was practically winking and elbow nudging at all the "Freudian symbols", particularly when she insinuated that the big drops of rain is a symbol of Calixa's female secretions.... ew. And then pelvic thrusting in front of the class when the French guy throws himself into a rocking chair....
Ij
Dec 12, 2011 Ij rated it really liked it

Written by: Kate Chopin

Characters:

Bibi
Bobinot
Calixta
Alcee

Bibi und Bobinot erwischt in einen Sturm und entscheiden, in ein Geschäft zu bleiben, anstatt zu versuchen, nach Hause gehen.

Calixta war allein zu Hause. Alcee ein alter Liebhaber kamen in für Schutz vor dem Sturm. Alcee und Calixta beschlossen, Vorteil aus der Situation zu nehmen und hatten Sex.

Nach dem Sturm endet Alcee geht nach Hause. Er schreibt seiner Frau einen Brief, ihr zu sagen, gibt es keine Notwendigkeit,
Dark Slayer
Oct 14, 2013 Dark Slayer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story begins with two characters, Bobinot along with his four-year-old son Bibi. Only after they arrive at a store called Friedheimer for shopping does an unexpected storm begin, and hence they decide to remain inside till it fades away. Meanwhile, as the storm howls, Bobinot’s wife, Calixta, being at home, is anxious for their well-being. Riding a horse along her house, a man called Alcée, Calixta’s ex-lover, comes across her as it starts raining, so he is compelled to have her house as a s ...more
Nora
May 10, 2008 Nora rated it it was amazing
This is the first piece of literature I sunk my teeth into, and of course I hated it. Then after I read, and reread, and reread it. I love it! Especailly when you stop to look at as an art. They way Chopin is crafting words is simply amazing!
angel  castillo
Feb 22, 2015 angel castillo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
*************************SPOILER ALERT**************************
Reading Kate Chopin's The Storm short story about adultery is that kind of roller coaster ride in which you think there may be a chance of joy since you see people actually enjoying the bloody ride. Then, is your turn; realizing that you are not into this kind of fun at all, and you end up throwing up anyway. That's exactly what happen to me, when I ended reading The Storm...
The story sets the mood with a storm that has provoked Cal
Gilbert Salinas
Short Story – The Storm by: Kate Chopin
My initial impression of "the Storm", by Kate Chopin was dismay. At first I thought the story to be a romantic love story, but to my surprise turned out to be the complete opposite. I really didn’t enjoy the story itself, but rather the message the story pertains too. In my opinion this piece of literature was written to express if marriage is really the bond of love our society claims to believe, or is love something that can be as spontaneous as a storm.
Rosie Castillo
Apr 05, 2015 Rosie Castillo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lynn Beyrouthy
In nineteenth century Louisiana, hometown of our female author Kate Chopin, there was a social dichotomy between the Acadians, rich catholic mid-upper class people, and the Creoles, lower class poor catholic peasants, Chopin being raised by Creoles herself. As a matter of fact, she is said to have written her autobiography through her stories.

"The storm" was written in 1898 and like the title would suggest, the backdrop of the narrative is that of a turbulent storm which shakes up Louisiana, a c
Francesca
Apr 08, 2016 Francesca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good. Very concise and intense story about sexual desire and the contentment or lack thereof of conjugal life. And Bobi.
Kalique
Sep 06, 2014 Kalique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Storm is my favorite work from Kate Chopin by so far. Is a Story of a sinful desire of a long gone passion that knock on your door in the middle of a storm while your husband and son are stuck in a market. What would you do? Surrender, or be a good wife? It is really bad to be happy just one single time?? I love it because it is so real and passionate and I think that their actions are justified in some sort of ironic wicked way. Kate is simply a genius who stands for women of her time... an ...more
Jaqueline Chapa
Apr 07, 2015 Jaqueline Chapa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessica Perez
Apr 07, 2015 Jessica Perez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
****SPOILER ALERT****
Kate Chopin’s short story “The Storm” was fascinating to read. The way she is able to put words together is engaging. She literally gave me a sense of feeling that I was there. I really enjoyed the story and the way she uses a female betraying her husband, when in fact it was wrong at that period of time to do. (1800’s) Women at the time where supposed to have morals and the fact that the women in the story doesn't have any morals makes it even more captivating.

Calixta’s hus
Kristina
Feb 24, 2015 Kristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The way Kate Chopin wrote "The Storm" allows readers to experience the feelings that Alcee and Calixta were experiencing. This short story was written in an era when it was taboo for women to feel the way Calixta felt. For myself this story made me envision everything that Kate Chopin wrote and made want Calixta and Alcee sexual experience.
This story starts with Bobinot and his son Bibi waiting at Freidheimer's Store an observing that there was a storm coming. Bibi being just a child was looking
Elvia Martinez
Feb 23, 2015 Elvia Martinez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Storm, is a short story written by Kate Chopin that keeps you spellbound from the start, creating magical moments of romance and surrounding the two main characters with an aura of a passion that cannot be quieted or quenched. I think this story is so well written that the reader’s imagination takes part in the characters actions, you’re there. I truly enjoyed this story, because as a faithful and loyal wife I would never consider taking part in an adulterous affair or sex with another partn ...more
Elizabeth Vasquez
Feb 23, 2015 Elizabeth Vasquez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short story begins with father and son Bobinot and Bibi are out and encounter the beginning of a storm. Calixta, wife and mother has stayed behind at home working on her sewing she hasn't even taken notice of the coming storm. As she notices the rain coming she goes to gather her husbands clothed outside to prevent them from getting wet and encounters whom to me seemed to be an exlover. He asks her for permission to wait in her home while the storm passes. She accepts but also recalls she h ...more
Amanda
Feb 21, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this short fiction story for the first time had me confused, until I read it the second time that’s when my eyes were wide open and surprised how Calixta and her ex-lover got away with having sex without their wife or husband finding out. I think this short story relates to how cheating and having hidden affairs still happens now in modern life, thus the characters kept the plot of the story on my edge of my seat. I was thinking her husband Bobinot and their son Bibi were going to catch ...more
Maria L. Lucio
Feb 23, 2015 Maria L. Lucio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In our society, a marriage is considered an agreement of two, but when a third individual introduce itself among this relationship is not well-seen. Also, in the late 1800s, it was forbidden and punished very critically that a woman were unfaithful to his husband. “The Storm," is a short story written by the American writer Kate Chopin in 1898, and it was published until 1969. It show a story of Calixta, a woman who is married to Bobint and they have Bibi as their son, and Alcee, who is an old e ...more
Frank Corral
May 09, 2015 Frank Corral rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Storm" by Kate Chopin folows the two main characters, Calixta and Alcee, who are ex lovers however each being a part of a different class hierarchy they had to find more suitable people to marry. When they finally meet again their sexual desires for each other are revived. There just so happens to be a Storm that locks them both in the same house alone while Calixas husband is at the store, Alcee's wife is on vacation.
"The Storm" is a direct analysis of the passionate sex that they have, d
Angelica Castillo
Calixta is alone at home worrying about her husband and son because of the storm. Alcée happened to pass by the home and asked to be let in. Seeking shelter from the storm, Alcée remembered how he and Calixta were back then. He then asked her if she remembered Assumption, the day they kissed. They let the storm pass while rekindling their love for each other.

I have read that The Storm has been very controversial when Chopin wrote it because it deals with adultery and it really is, because even w
Bri
Feb 17, 2015 Bri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book swept me away to this other wonderful world. The setting was brilliantly set. I could totally see it in my mind. But the characters were definitely my favorite part. They are all so colorful, interesting, exciting, and hilarious. The main character is just perfect. The plot moved fast enough that I couldn't stop reading lest I miss something, but the author still took the time to flesh out the details. The details are what really make or break a story.
Ivy
I understand how taboo this story was, and I can appreciate it for the time it was written. Overall, it isn't my kind of story. It was ok. The notion that sex and love can be separated is interesting. I'm glad everyone was happy in the end.
Hayley
Dec 30, 2015 Hayley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What are these accents? Reading that Chopin grew up in St. Louis to an Irish father and St. Louis mother with French ties, I guess it's quite a mix, but it's not like any I've seen before.
Egija
Jan 16, 2015 Egija rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The storm in nature is connected also with a storm in characters. The setting is fictional in some house in Lousiana.
Bekah
Oct 18, 2014 Bekah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it just because if the brazenness of the story. It was so risqué for the time. Great short story!
Cris Vallejo
Puf, me esperaba otra cosa. La verdad que la mejor parte es el fragmento que hemos visto en clase.
Gena Lott
Mar 13, 2015 Gena Lott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
One of those things you think about long after you finish the story. Hauntingly real.
Joe
Mar 07, 2014 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite being richly and darkly written, too short to have much impact.
Sofia Galvez
Sep 04, 2014 Sofia Galvez rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I guess for its time it was very risque. I'm just too jaded.
Morales 2341 Spri...: Adultery and Immorality - The Storm 74 28 Apr 14, 2015 01:07PM
  • Neighbour Rosicky
  • The Coquette
  • Saints and Social Justice: A Guide to the Changing World
  • Wakefield
  • Danton's Death, Leonce and Lena, Woyzeck
Kate Chopin was an American novelist and short-story writer best known for her startling 1899 novel, The Awakening. Born in St. Louis, she moved to New Orleans after marrying Oscar Chopin in 1870. Less than a decade later Oscar's cotton business fell on hard times and they moved to his family's plantation in the Natchitoches Parish of northwestern Louisiana. Oscar died in 1882 and Kate was suddenl ...more
More about Kate Chopin...

“The rain beat softly upon the shingles, inviting them to drowsiness and sleep. But they dared not yield. The rain was over; and the sun was turning the glistening world into a palace of gems.” 4 likes