Start by marking “Der Sturm” as Want to Read:

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  427 ratings  ·  28 reviews
"The Storm" is a short story by the American writer Kate Chopin, written in 1898. It did not appear in print in Chopin's lifetime; it was published in 1969. This story is the sequel to Chopin's At the Cadian Ball.
Published (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Der Sturm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Sturm

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
Calixta, a young wife, is alone at home working with her sewing machine. Her husband and young son are away and decided not to come home yet to let the approaching storm pass. A former admirer Alcee passes by the house as the wind and rain begin to grow strong. He asks, and is allowed, inside.

They both recall one Christian Feast Day, the Assumption, when they were still both single and had kissed and kissed passionately. This remembrance after the storm has led them to another kiss, and more--

"T
Ij

Written by: Kate Chopin

Characters:

Bibi
Bobinot
Calixta
Alcee

Bibi und Bobinot erwischt in einen Sturm und entscheiden, in ein Geschäft zu bleiben, anstatt zu versuchen, nach Hause gehen.

Calixta war allein zu Hause. Alcee ein alter Liebhaber kamen in für Schutz vor dem Sturm. Alcee und Calixta beschlossen, Vorteil aus der Situation zu nehmen und hatten Sex.

Nach dem Sturm endet Alcee geht nach Hause. Er schreibt seiner Frau einen Brief, ihr zu sagen, gibt es keine Notwendigkeit,
Julia Gorning
Having already read this piece, imagine my discomfort at having my literature teacher read this aloud as an example of how to do a close reading.... She was practically winking and elbow nudging at all the "Freudian symbols", particularly when she insinuated that the big drops of rain is a symbol of Calixa's female secretions.... ew. And then pelvic thrusting in front of the class when the French guy throws himself into a rocking chair....
Nora
This is the first piece of literature I sunk my teeth into, and of course I hated it. Then after I read, and reread, and reread it. I love it! Especailly when you stop to look at as an art. They way Chopin is crafting words is simply amazing!
Dark Slayer
The story begins with two characters, Bobinot along with his four-year-old son Bibi. Only after they arrive at a store called Friedheimer for shopping does an unexpected storm begin, and hence they decide to remain inside till it fades away. Meanwhile, as the storm howls, Bobinot’s wife, Calixta, being at home, is anxious for their well-being. Riding a horse along her house, a man called Alcée, Calixta’s ex-lover, comes across her as it starts raining, so he is compelled to have her house as a s ...more
Angelica Castillo
Calixta is alone at home worrying about her husband and son because of the storm. Alcée happened to pass by the home and asked to be let in. Seeking shelter from the storm, Alcée remembered how he and Calixta were back then. He then asked her if she remembered Assumption, the day they kissed. They let the storm pass while rekindling their love for each other.

I have read that The Storm has been very controversial when Chopin wrote it because it deals with adultery and it really is, because even w
Shástiry
The Storm is my favorite work from Kate Chopin by so far. Is a Story of a sinful desire of a long gone passion that knock on your door in the middle of a storm while your husband and son are stuck in a market. What would you do? Surrender, or be a good wife? It is really bad to be happy just one single time?? I love it because it is so real and passionate and I think that their actions are justified in some sort of ironic wicked way. Kate is simply a genius who stands for women of her time... an ...more
Lynn Beyrouthy
In nineteenth century Louisiana, hometown of our female author Kate Chopin, there was a social dichotomy between the Acadians, rich catholic mid-upper class people, and the Creoles, lower class poor catholic peasants, Chopin being raised by Creoles herself. As a matter of fact, she is said to have written her autobiography through her stories.

"The storm" was written in 1898 and like the title would suggest, the backdrop of the narrative is that of a turbulent storm which shakes up Louisiana, a c
Bekah
I liked it just because if the brazenness of the story. It was so risqué for the time. Great short story!
Joe
Despite being richly and darkly written, too short to have much impact.
Sofia Galvez
I guess for its time it was very risque. I'm just too jaded.
Zakaria
Realistic and immoral. I'll pretend I did not read this.
Jeanette
Refrain from reading this. Wow. Hideous.
Carol Westcamp
One of my favorite short stories
Andrew
I enjoyed this little slice of Cajun life more than I thought I would. Chopin uses the hurricane metaphor to great effect in this sordid little tale.
Sevgi
Because she is the first writer who wrote about inequality between sexes, I liked Kate Chopin before reading this story. You can't understand what is the real 'Storm'. Very immoral and vague, maybe this is the reason which make it interesting.
Momina Masood
Apr 13, 2013 Momina Masood rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like 'Art'. Art.
So adultery can be good? I don't know, maybe I'm too dull to understand the 'symbolism' or whatever of this piece, but if you had to pick a 'symbol', why this? Or what can it have in the least common to anything 'good'? Or is Kate Chopin's sense of conceit wonky?

Maybe I'm the one having too imperceptive a mind to real 'art'. Art I said. Art.

Rebecca
I really, really love storms to begin with and that which occurs during THIS particular one is what makes this story all the more revving. Chopin was extremely ahead of her time with this ultra-hot read. I don't know how else to put it, but she dared to test the Gods by writing such a lip-licking afternoon delight. More please!
Natalie Santos
Read the Cadian Ball first, not really necessary but it helps knowing more about the characters.
Shocking tale to read at a younger age but if you have a mature mind and appreciate Chopin's brilliant mind, this will be a great additional short story to read.
Shawn Kass
Very short, but the setting and the in which the characters exist comes through very well, and to think of when this was written and by a woman. Its amazing she was allowed to keep the use of her hands.
Andy
I bet that this story created a huge scandal at the time of Kate Chopin, given that it not only condones adultery, but shows its positive effects on two marriages! A really interesting read!
Steph
Love the idea of the secret night that they share in the storm! =) Super romantic... I love storms. =)
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
It was an interesting read. It was like the storm and the passion were one.
Lisa
Apr 08, 2013 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Goodreads
Short Story. Interesting what was considered banned material 100 years ago.
Emma Johanssen
Needed a cigarette after this steamy story! Phew!
Margaret
(Read in english though...tee hee)
Jennifer Upchurch
Would be considered racy for her time.
Parisusa
  • Everyday Use
  • The Real Thing
  • A White Heron
  • La Maison Tellier
Kate Chopin was an American novelist and short-story writer best known for her startling 1899 novel, The Awakening. Born in St. Louis, she moved to New Orleans after marrying Oscar Chopin in 1870. Less than a decade later Oscar's cotton business fell on hard times and they moved to his family's plantation in the Natchitoches Parish of northwestern Louisiana. Oscar died in 1882 and Kate was suddenl ...more
More about Kate Chopin...
The Awakening The Story of an Hour and Other Stories The Awakening and Selected Stories Desiree's Baby The Awakening and Other Stories

“The rain beat softly upon the shingles, inviting them to drowsiness and sleep. But they dared not yield. The rain was over; and the sun was turning the glistening world into a palace of gems.” 3 likes