Start by marking “An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving” as Want to Read:
An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving

An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving (Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag #6)

Thanksgiving morning is here, and the Bassett family's cozy kitchen is filled with the hustle and bustle of the holiday. But this year something is different: Tilly, Prue, and their brothers and sisters have been left in charge of everything from the roasted turkey tothe apple slump. They tie on their aprons and step into thekitchen, but are they reallyup for the challenge ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1868)

To ask other readers questions about An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving

Brina
Dec 06, 2016 Brina added it
Shelves: short-stories
Charming classic children's book for Thanksgiving by Louisa May Alcott
Renee
Oct 10, 2016 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sweet Thanksgiving story. After their parents are called away, the girls try to make Thanksgiving dinner without help from anyone. As expected when kids are trying to cook a big dinner the first time, a few things go wrong but dinner turns out well all around and everyone has something to be thankful for. If you enjoyed Little Women, you will enjoy this short story.
Relyn
Dec 10, 2008 Relyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Alcott fans
Recommended to Relyn by: found on my library's website
I have a string of Thanksgiving books that I read to my daughter and my second graders. These will be quick reviews based on the reactions of my daughter and students. I put the date the same for each book, but I really read them in the week leading up to Thanksgiving, and on Thanksgiving Day. Under the how many times I've read it category, that will be how many Thanksgivings I've used this book.

I didn't actually read this aloud to my class. It was just in the pile. The illustrations are amazing
Kris - My Novelesque Life
AN OLD-FASHIONED THANKSGIVING
Written by Louisa May Alcott
Illustrated by Molly Johnson
1868 (reissue: 1974); 73 Pages
J.B. Lippincott Company
Genre: holiday, thanksgiving, food, picture book, short story

★★★★

This story is set in New Hampshire in the 1800s so this more about an American Thanksgiving (as are most books) but yet the traditions and sentiments are quite similar. Little Women is one of my favourite books and after reading this story I am going to have to reach further into Louisa May Alco
Bethany
Nov 20, 2012 Bethany rated it it was amazing
This was a very quick read that I really enjoyed, and was able to read in one short sitting. I was surprised to find that the movie, which I'd seen before reading the short-story, wasn't at all like the book, and I love the book so much more than the movie. But really other than the characters, their wasn't much similarity between the book and movie. I highly recommend you to read this if you like Louisa's other works or the movie. I got mine for free as an e-book titled Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag and ...more
LibraryCin

It is Thanksgiving in New Hampshire and Mr. and Mrs. Bassett are suddenly called away. The oldest girls in the family decide to continue cooking the Thanksgiving meal.

This is a picture book, very short. My edition was illustrated by James Bernardin, and the pictures were beautiful. I enjoyed it. It was about food, family and celebrating Thanksgiving. There is a recipe included at the end for “Apple Slump”. Sounds like apple crisp, so I might have to give it a try!
Sheila
A short, simple, yet nice story of a family Thanksgiving in an earlier time, when life was hard yet simple, when meals were basic, yet special. Where children would be left home along when their parents had to leave to take a horse drawn sleigh to visit a sick relative. Where these same children would take it upon themselves, in their freezing blizzard surrounded home to make a Thanksgiving feast. Where even the cooking failures led to smiles, and where it all ends happily ever after.
Ryan
Jan 02, 2013 Ryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I chose this after reading Reisen's biography of Louisa May Alcott. The 'scrap bag' series was one Alcott did for the holidays - this was a random selection, because there are others. Some of the stories were covered in the biography, which tells that Alcott went wandering in her green shoes as a child, she jumped out of the loft in the barn with alarming regularity and was injured, and did polish her hair with lamp oil. Poppy, the heroine of one of the scrap bag stories, has adventures that are ...more
Beth
Nov 12, 2013 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I initially grabbed this as a Kindle freebie because of the "Thanksgiving" themed title story, but I ended up reading more because I enjoyed the first few stories so much.

Some of the following stories were very moralistic; I can see how they would be boring for children these days, or just a bit odd. In The Whale's story, for example, a little boy has a conversation with a whale's jawbone, or rather, the whale talks about his life and cautions against pride. The didactic nature was a bit grating
Don
Nov 25, 2016 Don rated it liked it
I decided to begin my holiday reading this year with a children's book. While it's true that I don't generally read children's literature (unless I am looking for something to buy my great-niece and great-nephew), the combination of a Thanksgiving story (I haven't read many of those) and author Louisa May Alcott certainly grabbed my attention.

This book takes place in New Hampshire and tells of a memorable Thanksgiving on which Mr. and Mrs. Bassett are suddenly called away on a family emergency.
Dolly
Nov 06, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous and sweet tale about children taking over the preparation of Thanksgiving dinner, with mixed results. It shows a little bit of how life was back in the mid-1800s in New England and how people cooked food. The illustrations by James Bernardin are wonderful and the narrative is short and entertaining. There is a recipe for Louisa May Alcott's Apple Slump at the end, which looks like a yummy version of a deep dish apple pie.

Nancy St. Clair
The title says it all! This is a delightful "homey" Thanksgiving story about a colonial family set in New England. As I read it aloud to my daughter I found myself wishing that I could climb into the book and become a member of the Bassett family. Ms. Alcott's wonderfully descriptive writing style made the story come alive. Yummy recipes are included in the back of the book. We plan to view the movie later and practice our comparison/contrast skills!
Matthew Hunter
For fans of Little Women and everything Laura Ingalls Wilder. It'll make you wonder what wormwood tastes like.
Kathrine
Feb 12, 2015 Kathrine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth-fiction

This is my favorite Thanksgiving story. How I want all my Thanksgivings to be. Family Food and fun. An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving by Louis May Alsott
Andrea Hussey
Adriane (ShareInspireJourneyDream)
3.5

This one was so cute!! It's a quick little read that definitely has the cozy Thanksgiving feel I was looking for!
Heather
Nov 20, 2016 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Vera Godley
Nov 03, 2012 Vera Godley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most girls have grown up reading Little Women and possibly other books by famed author, Louisa May Alcott. She wrote beloved tales of life and holds an esteemed place in the hall of famous authors and trail blazers. Today we're going to look at a children's very short adaptation of Miss Alcott's story in picture book form - An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving by Louisa May Alcott published by Ideal Books.

ISBN-13: 9780824956202

Ages 4-8

About the book: A sweet and humorous Thanksgiving tale from the belo
Michelle
Sep 08, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: movie, classic, holidays
An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving (1881) by Louisa May Alcott 5★♥

This was a real treat to read. Despite all the chaos that is going on at my house right now (we'll be expecting about 10 people over for Thanksgiving dinner - not including us 3 that live at the house). This is a historic fiction setting. It was written in 1881. And the story begins with "Sixty years ago, up among the New Hampshire hills, lived Farmer Bassett, with a houseful of sturdy sons and daughters growing up about him." So the s
Julie
What a fun treat to able to read a Louisa May Alcott book about a Thanksgiving past. There are so few books and stories that are actually written about Thanksgiving. And of course Louisa May Alcott is a treat any time.

I read this aloud to my children, and it was a little difficult for them to follow because of the old fashioned language and the phonetic spelling of many of the old pronunciations of the words - "jedged" (judged), "yarbs" (herbs), etc. Even I had some difficulty understanding wha
Brooke
Feb 09, 2017 Brooke rated it really liked it
A sweet tale of Thanksgiving, hijinks, and family.
Anna
Nov 19, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing
I read this aloud to my kids, boys age 8 and 5, girls age 3 and 1. My boys and I laughed out loud and loved the cozy loving lively family life atmosphere of the story. Immediately upon finishing it, my boys begged to read it again, so we did. My 5 year old greatly anticipated the bear scene and had a huge smile on his face when it came. They both walk around quoting, "the baby threw the apple overboard to make ready for new cargo" This tickled them especially, probably because it reminded them o ...more
Brittany Z
Nov 22, 2015 Brittany Z rated it it was amazing
A nice holiday story for adults and children. The Bassett children are left home alone on Thanksgiving when their parents leave to tend to a family emergency. The older kids take charge making the great meal anyway while caring for the house and other children. Of course, some snags happen along the way and the family has a laugh about it after the fact. It's a great family tale about colonial New England living.
Marcia
Nov 23, 2011 Marcia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: April
Recommended to Marcia by: TAH
I read the 1974 version with neat nostalgic sketches by Holly Johnson. Full of old-timey charm, it's the story oft a large family of kids left alone on a stormy Thanksgiving when their parents go to attend to a sick relative. They attempt to recreate the perfect Thanksgiving meal. It would be a fun read-aloud for elementary school kids studying Colonial America or Thanksgiving. Includes recipes, and I'll be trying Louisa May Alcott;s Apple Slump.
Julie Barrett
Sep 23, 2016 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it
An old-fashioned Thanksgiving by Alcott, Louisa May
When the mother is called away from home to tend to an ailing relative the girls decide they can
make Thanksgiving that year. Lots of traditional old fashioned New England things are described
as children make the decorations and food. They are surprised in many ways. Recipes at the end.
Joseph Wetterling
Nov 22, 2012 Joseph Wetterling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, fiction
This is a charming story - almost entirely focused on the children of the family, which was a pleasant surprise. We enjoyed it as a read-aloud over a car trip, getting through it in about 1 1/2 hours (including some interruptions to laugh or discuss). This short book paints a picture of 1820's farm family life and through the course of the story, you find out about their home, heating, food, chores, and clothing. Educational and entertaining - and a very nice Thanksgiving day read.
Paula
Nov 28, 2011 Paula rated it it was amazing
I had this book on my wish list and finally found it in Powell Books recently. I had no idea it was so tiny! A wonderful little short story full of Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving family love! I fell in love with Mr. and Mrs. Bassett's country home and all of their kids who pulled together to cook their very first Thanksgiving feast while their parents were away tending to their sick grandmother. A very charming story! It quickly became a favorite of mine!
Crystal
Jun 25, 2009 Crystal rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents of young children
Recommended to Crystal by: read books by the author before
Shelves: juvenile
cute. nothing very substantial. the version I read was illustrated by Holly Johnson, with some cute pencil drawings. the story was very "countrified" and I always hate references to the audience "not like we do it today", for example. but it's a good way to teach kids what life used to be like in our country, and some parts are funny. when I read that they accidentally used wormwood and catnip to flavor their stuffing, I laughed out loud!
Sally
Aug 11, 2010 Sally rated it it was amazing
This was actually one of the stories in a compilation of her short stories, but I couldn't find the entire book on here, so I just posted it as this one :)

I have to say - Louisa May Alcott is so much more than just Little Woman, Little Men and Jo's boys. She is a master story teller...some one who gets you involved in time periods and with people that you never thought possible to be interested in.
Donna
Dec 15, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it
I read this out loud with the family. It's a quick, short read. Words are a bit harder to say and understand due to the time it was written and since the family lived in the 'hills'. But we got the gist of it all. I have to say we enjoyed it, since twice now since, my boys have referenced the catnip in the stuffing!
  • Over the River and Through the Wood
  • Amber on the Mountain
  • Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks
  • Thanksgiving Mice!
As A.M. Barnard:
Behind a Mask, or a Woman's Power (1866)
The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation (1867)
A Long Fatal Love Chase (1866 – first published 1995)
First published anonymously:
A Modern Mephistopheles (1877)

Louisa May Alcott was born in Germantown, Pennsylvania on November 29, 1832. She and her three sisters, Anna, Elizabeth and May were educated by their father, philosopher/ t
More about Louisa May Alcott...

Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag (6 books)
  • Aunt Jo's Scrap-Bag (Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag, #1)
  • Shawl-Straps (Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag #2)
  • Cupid and Chow Chow (Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag #3)
  • My Girls (Aunt Jo's Scrap-Bag, #4)
  • Aunt Jo's Scrap-Bag; Volume V (Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag #5)