Start by marking “Uncommon Places: The Complete Works” as Want to Read:
Uncommon Places: The Complete Works

Uncommon Places: The Complete Works

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  770 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Stephen Shore took colour photography beyond the domain of advertising and fashion, and his large-format American landscapes have become a vital photographic tradition over the past three decades. This book contains previously unpublished work that has never been exhibited.
Unknown Binding, 187 pages
Published June 18th 2010 by Not Avail (first published November 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Uncommon Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncommon Places

David
When I elbowed through the pink David LaChapelles and the anal-retentive Ansels (always the Ansels) I discovered this at the local B&N today, its dust jacket beaten-up and sliced a little on the back, by an incautiously wielded box cutter probably. Usually these defects alone would dissuade me from laying down fifty-five simoleons (less member discount) for a book. But... my consumerist enzyme kicked into overdrive and I had to have it NOW, not next week, not tomorrow, not in an hour. NOW. I ...more
Trin
There's an aesthetic I like to call "the good ugly." Clunky old cars, crumbling signage, mid-century architectural flourishes that once were cutting-edge but now just seem bizarre: this is where the fugly becomes fabulous, and I love it all. Chances are, you know some slightly offbeat person who does, too--and this person will go gaga over photographer Stephen Shore's Uncommon Places. Initially published in 1982, the new "Complete Works" edition--what Shore likens to a "director's cut" version-- ...more
Jeff Jackson
Sep 23, 2013 Jeff Jackson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jeff by: Joe Reifer
Shelves: photography
These photographs carve out their own fertile territory somewhere between Joel Sternfeld's "American Prospects" and William Eggleston's "Guide." The in-depth interview with Lynne Tillman is excellent. She highlights Shore's Warhol connection, which becomes more apparent the longer you look at these casually strange vistas of the everyday.
Robert Beveridge
Stephen Shore, Uncommon Places (Aperture, 1982)

Uncommon Places is a book of photography, and pretty good photography at that. The only real problem to be had with it is that, well, the places actually aren't all that uncommon. I can see how they'd look that way to someone born and raised in New York City (though one wonders about, say, the corner of 20th and Walnut Streets in Philadelphia making an appearance), but if Shore is trying to make a point here about the commonality of these places bei
Cody
As a child of the American west—I grew up in the very neighborhoods that Robert Adams documented so powerfully in his work from the 70s—I’m always seeking out art that examines the region (which I consider pretty much everything west of the Mississippi) and its shifting identity, particularly as this metamorphosis really picks up speed after WWII. There’s no shortage of art that tackles this “issue,” be it LA noir, Paris, Texas, Beat literature, or the works of John Luther Adams or Ed Ruscha, al ...more
Al
This book got me off my Eggleston stance (somewhat) and his work feels a lot 'wider' with a some overlap of content/subject with Eggleston - not freakishly surprising. The cityscapes he captured reminded me of the story about R. Crumb going around a city with a photographer so he could capture what it all looked like - all the curved wires etc. - only Shore shares his eye on what is lovely and now, mostly gone, naturally or humanly.
Images stick out in my mind and his use of color as he captures
Carmen
One of my favorite books of photography. Author listed as Lynne Tillman, however photos are by Stephen Shore. There is a conversation between Shore and Tillman printed in the book.
Davy
First, a declaration: this book of photographs by Stephen Shore has taken its place among my absolute favorite things in this world. I enjoyed every single gorgeous picture, every single page, even the blank ones (because of course they also have meaning). It is possible that I have never encountered an artist (of any type) with whom I share so much. Not just aesthetics, not just a sense of style and structure...these photos told me that Stephen Shore and I share a great deal more than that. He ...more
Zioluc
Il libro di grandi dimensioni e la qualità di stampa eccezionale rendono giustizia alle foto di Shore, scattate con banco ottico e quindi ricche di dettagli. Si tratta di un'edizione "ampliata" di questo suo storico lavoro fatto di immagini scattate tra il 1973 e il 1977 in giro per gli Stati Uniti.
Contiene anche alcuni scatti del suo precedente lavoro "American surfaces", un'introduzione e una intervista che chiariscono ragioni e metodo del suo lavoro.
Tom Wright
very nice page layout. the photographs are gorgeous. there is a certain tension that exists within shore's photographs, much like an edward hopper painting. all are thoughtful and contemplative.

this book is an awesome one to have lying around to flip through from time to time. printed images always have a little bit more to offer than looking at digital versions.
Cat
Aug 22, 2007 Cat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
I am not a photography buff. Saw the exhibit in L.A. at the Hammer museum. I read magazines like "Vice", which feature alot of photogs who seem to be influenced by this guy. I thought his stuff was awesome- very contemporary, like someone travelled back in time and shot 70s landscapes etc.

Also: it's a big book- so have ample shelf space ready if you don't want to keep it on your coffee table or on display.
Adam Thorman
This is the definitive Stephen Shore book. Known for his anonymous American landscapes of and '70s cityscapes, its his portraits that get me most. All of the best are here: Ginger with her red hair in front of the orange tiles, Michael lying on the couch with Sandy in his arms as he frankly addresses the camera, they're all here. So good.
Terence
Took me long enough to get to this book but what a stunner, great images. Its a winner in a big way contextualizing some of the most important contemporary photographers. I love seeing the facsimiles of the postcards. The essay became superfluous with the interview in the back. And the interview was insightful and worth the time.
Valerie Chiang
One of the greatest living American photographers. Although much of his work is a bit sterile and distant to me (as opposed to the more emotional work of Wim Wenders and Fred Herzog), he never fails to inspire me with his photographs, interviews, and photo essays.
Megan
Interesting pictures. Some are very beautiful, others are very interesting, some have a nice sense of humor, and a couple are really depressing. Oh, and there are some pictures of a hotel in medicine hat which is neat!
Jim
My first exposure to Stephen Shore but it won't be my last. Really great images of 70's Americana. No major event coverage or anything like that, just slices of life in that time, good slices, worth savoring.
Sam
Oct 11, 2007 Sam rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Egglestonians, Sothians
This collection, like American Surfaces, represents neither Shore's better work nor precisely why he's important as he is. It's terrifically underwhelming, I'm saying, though one shouldn't give up on him.
Brennan
I got this book for my boyfriend. It is difficult to find, and has some interesting images from bizarre, abandoned American places.
Justus
gorgeous photos. Not much to say...I dig the work and I like the fact that the book is ordered by the date the photograph was taken.
Andy
Mid 70's large format camera photos. Cars, buildings and occasionally people.
Robynn
Beautiful photos from accross the country. As look at America is the 70's.
F.C. Etier
Don't pre-judge a subject for a photograph. Take lots of photos!
Megan
Liked the pics. Love big urban artsy picture books.
Cody
Unusual images, loved it!
Meg
amazing photographer
Sharon
Loved this!
Ally Schottler
Ally Schottler marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
  • Tulsa
  • Why People Photograph
  • Instant Light: Tarkovsky Polaroids
  • American Music
The Nature of Photographs American Surfaces Stephen Shore: The Gardens at Giverny: A View of Monet's World The Velvet Years: Warhol's Factory, 1965-67 Photographs