Start by marking “Uncommon Places: The Complete Works” as Want to Read:
Uncommon Places: The Complete Works

Uncommon Places: The Complete Works

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  954 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Stephen Shore took colour photography beyond the domain of advertising and fashion, and his large-format American landscapes have become a vital photographic tradition over the past three decades. This book contains previously unpublished work that has never been exhibited.
Unknown Binding, 187 pages
Published June 18th 2010 by Not Avail (first published November 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Uncommon Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncommon Places

David
Jul 13, 2010 David rated it it was amazing
When I elbowed through the pink David LaChapelles and the anal-retentive Ansels (always the Ansels) I discovered this at the local B&N today, its dust jacket beaten-up and sliced a little on the back, by an incautiously wielded box cutter probably. Usually these defects alone would dissuade me from laying down fifty-five simoleons (less member discount) for a book. But... my consumerist enzyme kicked into overdrive and I had to have it NOW, not next week, not tomorrow, not in an hour. NOW. I ...more
Trin
Nov 06, 2009 Trin rated it it was amazing
There's an aesthetic I like to call "the good ugly." Clunky old cars, crumbling signage, mid-century architectural flourishes that once were cutting-edge but now just seem bizarre: this is where the fugly becomes fabulous, and I love it all. Chances are, you know some slightly offbeat person who does, too--and this person will go gaga over photographer Stephen Shore's Uncommon Places. Initially published in 1982, the new "Complete Works" edition--what Shore likens to a "director's cut" version-- ...more
Jeff Jackson
Sep 23, 2013 Jeff Jackson rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jeff by: Joe Reifer
Shelves: photography
These photographs carve out their own fertile territory somewhere between Joel Sternfeld's "American Prospects" and William Eggleston's "Guide." The in-depth interview with Lynne Tillman is excellent. She highlights Shore's Warhol connection, which becomes more apparent the longer you look at these casually strange vistas of the everyday.
Rebecca McNutt
May 13, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book, full-color and incredibly reflective on 20th century society. It's so cool to see the grainy quality of celluloid over those inferior digital pixels and binary codes is still appreciated as an art form.
Davy
Aug 21, 2014 Davy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-photography
First, a declaration: this book of photographs by Stephen Shore has taken its place among my absolute favorite things in this world. I enjoyed every single gorgeous picture, every single page, even the blank ones (because of course they also have meaning). It is possible that I have never encountered an artist (of any type) with whom I share so much. Not just aesthetics, not just a sense of style and structure...these photos told me that Stephen Shore and I share a great deal more than that. He ...more
Robert Beveridge
Jan 15, 2008 Robert Beveridge rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
Stephen Shore, Uncommon Places (Aperture, 1982)

Uncommon Places is a book of photography, and pretty good photography at that. The only real problem to be had with it is that, well, the places actually aren't all that uncommon. I can see how they'd look that way to someone born and raised in New York City (though one wonders about, say, the corner of 20th and Walnut Streets in Philadelphia making an appearance), but if Shore is trying to make a point here about the commonality of these places bei
Cody
Oct 24, 2011 Cody rated it it was amazing
As a child of the American west—I grew up in the very neighborhoods that Robert Adams documented so powerfully in his work from the 70s—I’m always seeking out art that examines the region (which I consider pretty much everything west of the Mississippi) and its shifting identity, particularly as this metamorphosis really picks up speed after WWII. There’s no shortage of art that tackles this “issue,” be it LA noir, Paris, Texas, Beat literature, or the works of John Luther Adams or Ed Ruscha, al ...more
Al
Aug 22, 2011 Al rated it it was amazing
This book got me off my Eggleston stance (somewhat) and his work feels a lot 'wider' with a some overlap of content/subject with Eggleston - not freakishly surprising. The cityscapes he captured reminded me of the story about R. Crumb going around a city with a photographer so he could capture what it all looked like - all the curved wires etc. - only Shore shares his eye on what is lovely and now, mostly gone, naturally or humanly.
Images stick out in my mind and his use of color as he captures
Carmen
One of my favorite books of photography. Author listed as Lynne Tillman, however photos are by Stephen Shore. There is a conversation between Shore and Tillman printed in the book.
Bob Nichols
The introduction states that this collection of photos is “a lifetime of movements in space and time.” It is a “biographical experiment [that] fits neatly between pop and conceptual art.” These words match up with the pictures: I don’t understand. There are ordinary living rooms, motel rooms, buildings and houses. There is a picture of a Pennys and four cars; a drink, fries and a partially eaten hamburger; a nondescript campsite in the Tetons; and a picture of Gregg Nettles in a batting cage. Th ...more
Zioluc
Feb 24, 2014 Zioluc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fotografia
Il libro di grandi dimensioni e la qualità di stampa eccezionale rendono giustizia alle foto di Shore, scattate con banco ottico e quindi ricche di dettagli. Si tratta di un'edizione "ampliata" di questo suo storico lavoro fatto di immagini scattate tra il 1973 e il 1977 in giro per gli Stati Uniti.
Contiene anche alcuni scatti del suo precedente lavoro "American surfaces", un'introduzione e una intervista che chiariscono ragioni e metodo del suo lavoro.
Megan
Nov 30, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing
Exquisite pictures of reality.
Joe
Jan 10, 2016 Joe rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and perfect
Tom Wright
Jan 31, 2015 Tom Wright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very nice page layout. the photographs are gorgeous. there is a certain tension that exists within shore's photographs, much like an edward hopper painting. all are thoughtful and contemplative.

this book is an awesome one to have lying around to flip through from time to time. printed images always have a little bit more to offer than looking at digital versions.
Cat
Aug 22, 2007 Cat rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
I am not a photography buff. Saw the exhibit in L.A. at the Hammer museum. I read magazines like "Vice", which feature alot of photogs who seem to be influenced by this guy. I thought his stuff was awesome- very contemporary, like someone travelled back in time and shot 70s landscapes etc.

Also: it's a big book- so have ample shelf space ready if you don't want to keep it on your coffee table or on display.
Adam Thorman
Mar 25, 2013 Adam Thorman rated it it was amazing
This is the definitive Stephen Shore book. Known for his anonymous American landscapes of and '70s cityscapes, its his portraits that get me most. All of the best are here: Ginger with her red hair in front of the orange tiles, Michael lying on the couch with Sandy in his arms as he frankly addresses the camera, they're all here. So good.
Terence
Jun 16, 2012 Terence rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, photography
Took me long enough to get to this book but what a stunner, great images. Its a winner in a big way contextualizing some of the most important contemporary photographers. I love seeing the facsimiles of the postcards. The essay became superfluous with the interview in the back. And the interview was insightful and worth the time.
Valerie Chiang
Jul 17, 2013 Valerie Chiang rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of the greatest living American photographers. Although much of his work is a bit sterile and distant to me (as opposed to the more emotional work of Wim Wenders and Fred Herzog), he never fails to inspire me with his photographs, interviews, and photo essays.
Megan C
Apr 12, 2009 Megan C rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting pictures. Some are very beautiful, others are very interesting, some have a nice sense of humor, and a couple are really depressing. Oh, and there are some pictures of a hotel in medicine hat which is neat!
Jim
Sep 10, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
My first exposure to Stephen Shore but it won't be my last. Really great images of 70's Americana. No major event coverage or anything like that, just slices of life in that time, good slices, worth savoring.
Sam
Oct 11, 2007 Sam rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Egglestonians, Sothians
This collection, like American Surfaces, represents neither Shore's better work nor precisely why he's important as he is. It's terrifically underwhelming, I'm saying, though one shouldn't give up on him.
Brennan
Jan 11, 2009 Brennan rated it it was amazing
I got this book for my boyfriend. It is difficult to find, and has some interesting images from bizarre, abandoned American places.
Justus
Sep 05, 2010 Justus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
gorgeous photos. Not much to say...I dig the work and I like the fact that the book is ordered by the date the photograph was taken.
Andy
Feb 07, 2013 Andy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography-art
Mid 70's large format camera photos. Cars, buildings and occasionally people.
Robynn
Dec 16, 2009 Robynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful photos from accross the country. As look at America is the 70's.
F.C. Etier
Mar 23, 2010 F.C. Etier rated it really liked it
Don't pre-judge a subject for a photograph. Take lots of photos!
Megan
Liked the pics. Love big urban artsy picture books.
Cody
May 02, 2012 Cody rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
Unusual images, loved it!
Meg
  • Deep South
  • Ansel Adams: 400 Photographs
  • Walker Evans: American Photographs
  • Nan Goldin: The Ballad of Sexual Dependency
  • Looking at Photographs: 100 Pictures from the Collection of the Museum of Modern Art
  • In the American West