Start by marking “Amaryllis Night and Day” as Want to Read:
Amaryllis Night and Day

Amaryllis Night and Day

The first time Peter Diggs saw Amaryllis she was at a bus stop where the street sign said Balsamic, although there was nothing vinegary about the place. The bus was unthinkably tall, made of yellow, orange and pink rice paper, lit from within like a Japanese lantern. That was a dream, but where this romance goes as the dream begins to intersect reality is nothing that a ...more
Published January 22nd 2001 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Amaryllis Night and Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amaryllis Night and Day

Warwick
Dec 21, 2012 Warwick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, london
Having loved Riddley Walker, I finally got around to checking out something else by Hoban, and I'm so pleased I picked this one. The idea of the book is so awesome that I can't believe no-one's thought of it before – maybe they have – but it's about two people who find that they have the ability to enter each other's dreams. At first they explore the sexual possibilities of this enviable talent, and begin an unstable relationship half in real life and half in dream-worlds – but gradually ...more
A.J.
Feb 27, 2012 A.J. rated it really liked it
Richly populated with images, this one kept me guessing all the way through: how much of this is real, how much dream. I loved the repetitions of themes and images and particularly enjoyed the idea that each human is given a box of music, sights and sounds when they are born which crop up again and again in the course of their lives.
Brent
Dec 24, 2012 Brent rated it liked it
Shelves: decent
Hoban does a fantastic job of demonstrating just how compelling the repetition of themes can be in a novel. This story is full of fugue-like strands that repeat and build to great effect. However, I wish there had been more story here...the characters are thinly (but vividly) sketched and the plot's movements flit weakly by. Still, this novel is impressive in that not many writers could pull it off...or would even attempt to.
Jessica Milverton
Nov 04, 2013 Jessica Milverton rated it really liked it
Great book! Felt like I was in the story with the characters and was living the dreams they were having!!
Dan
Jun 09, 2013 Dan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: london
The most enjoyable Hoban book for me. It has a great sense of its London place, funny dreams and beautiful imagery that stays with you for a long time after finishing. Highly recommended.
Terry Mark
May 09, 2016 Terry Mark rated it really liked it
Basically the story is about a stranger tuning in to another to enable both to meet up in their dreams and then revealing one's self to the other in their day to day life. Getting to know that person and seeing if they can meet up in dreamtime on a regular basis to get to a particular end goal. I've often wondered whether the people you meet in your dreams were people that you've met in past lives or yet to meet in the future. I would love to be able to tune in to other people so as to meet up ...more
David
Oct 15, 2015 David rated it liked it
Hoban is always worth reading. I put him in the same category as Vonnegut - generally a pretty easy read with some wacky stuff thrown in for seasoning. This one's a Lynchian analogue of a simple boy-meets-girl with a lot of identity/dream fuckery.
Eline Walda
Aug 28, 2016 Eline Walda rated it it was amazing
Zeer oorspronkelijk en onderhoudend! Alleen in de ontknoping zag ik wat inconsistentie en dat vond ik jammer. Voor de rest aanbevelenswaardig.
Feb 07, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I didn't love this, but I did like it. It reminded me of those surrealist/absurdist indie films that I so enjoy. For some reason, I prefer absurdity on screen.
Jasper
Aug 05, 2008 Jasper rated it liked it
Russel Hoban is easy to read. Bip bip page turner. I like his language and the reality he sets. Nothing on Riddley Walker, but he's just really enjoyable to read. And gets you thinking too.
Lindsay
Apr 01, 2013 Lindsay rated it liked it
Funny and weird with interesting and very flawed characters. I enjoy Hoban's prose and contemporary references on film and music and art.
Carys
Aug 30, 2009 Carys rated it liked it
not great - a good story but it could have been developed more. the characters could have had more depth. they were very superficial.
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2012
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
May 05, 2013
2tetheredhorses
2tetheredhorses rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Denni
Denni rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2012
Laura rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2013
Roland
Roland rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Kamilla
Kamilla rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Djangojeremy
Djangojeremy rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2013
Bad_tery
Bad_tery rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2009
K. Breese
K. Breese rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2010
Rwq
Rwq rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2014
Ekaterina
Ekaterina rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Futant
Futant rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Scoutaccount
Scoutaccount rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Lila
Lila rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2011
Michelle Bailat-Jones
Michelle Bailat-Jones rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • BLACKBOX: A Novel in 840 Chapters
  • Thunder & Sunshine
  • Your Flying Car Awaits: Robot Butlers, Lunar Vacations, and Other Dead-Wrong Predictions of the Twentieth Century
  • Recollections of the Golden Triangle