Start by marking “Usborne Time Traveler” as Want to Read:
Usborne Time Traveler

Usborne Time Traveler

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  1,157 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
A one-volume edition of four time-travelling accounts which shed light on the life of typical families in ancient Egypt, Rome, medieval times and during the age of the Vikings. With full colour illustrations.
Published March 1st 1999 by E.D.C. Publishing (first published December 12th 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Usborne Time Traveler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Usborne Time Traveler

Lydia Smith
Nov 11, 2015 Lydia Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: with-kids
This was a great tie-in book for our history. Fun pictures and stories of different families living during different periods of history - Ancient Egyptians, Vikings, Romans, and Middle Ages.
Ebookwormy1
A great value! This book includes Usborne's:
Knights & Castles
Viking Raiders
Rome & Romans
Pharaohs & Pyramids

The schtick is that you have a special helmut that allows you to time travel to different periods. This is why they are in reverse chronological order. I'm not a huge fan of this.

Once you arrive in the time/ place/ period, you meet a family of the time, see how they live and observe their adventures. The characters are well done, and appropriately named and illustrated to give s
Eleonara
Apr 01, 2011 Eleonara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone?
I used to LOVE this book when I was younger. Not only did I learn from it, but It entertained me- and my brother- for hours on end. "How?" you may ask,well it's not what most people would think. I mean, of course we read it some, but what we did most often and had the most fun doing was playing this game we made up with the book. We would each get a sheet or two of printer paper and each created a main character, we drew it in various sizes to match the different sizes of the drawings in the boo ...more
Rebecca
Nov 02, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Another great by Usborne! My daughter likes the idea of putting on her time travel helmet in order to go back to the time we are studying. Great details and illustrations. So much to learn.

We have read all the sections now and really enjoyed them.

Updated after our second time through with my son and upping the rating to a 5 star. My son adored pretending to put on his helmet and likes this style of book more than my daughter. This is a great resource for these periods of history.
Pam
Mar 17, 2013 Pam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, childrens
I used this book years ago with Sonlight's history curriculum with my child. It contains a surprising amount of information in an accessible format for young children. There is a picture that progressively changes from modern times to reflect each step back in time the book goes. This was a great visual for children to "see" historical changes.
Megan
Apr 03, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-books
Oh my goodness! :D I love this book! It was my favorite history book when I was in elementary school! I learned so much from it! *sigh* I wish that history text books for highschoolers were as interesting!
Aneesa
Dec 27, 2008 Aneesa rated it it was amazing
The boys LOVE this book. We checked it out for a month and then another month, and then another month, and then I bought it on Amazon. Seriously, I'm not that interested in it--but they read it and learn, so I'm giving it 5 stars.
Lisa
Sep 03, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
Shelves: history
A history book that young children will love. Aided by large, colorful illustrations, the child is told to use his magic time helmet to travel back through the ages to the time of the crusades, the Viking raiders, ancient Rome, and ancient Egypt. Includes fun time quizzes, too.
Jennifer Dunne
A wonderful book to explain life in ancient times.
Alicia Carlson
Aug 24, 2014 Alicia Carlson rated it it was amazing
Best elementary history book. Lots of color, interesting facts, social life. Must have for home schoolers.
Radagast
A fun history encyclopedia
Christina
This book is definitely at the top of Max's list for favorite school books this year.
James
I didn't enjoy this especially. I think my class will though. I will put it on the class topic book shelf.
Ann
Mar 07, 2011 Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Wonderful detailed look at life in the time of the Vikings, medieval knights and castles, the Romans and the ancient Egyptians.
Emmet Miles
Jun 29, 2014 Emmet Miles rated it it was amazing
Great history book!
Aniela
Aniela rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2017
Charlie
Charlie rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2014
Joyce
Joyce rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2014
Pamela Marcengill
Pamela Marcengill rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2017
Jaime Treadwell
Jaime Treadwell rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2017
Sheril
Sheril rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2012
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2013
Victoria A. Trevino
Victoria A. Trevino rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2016
Ro W
Ro W rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2016
Elijah
Elijah rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2013
  • Window on the World: When We Pray God Works
  • A Child's History of the World
  • Favorite Poems of Childhood
  • The Apprentice
  • The Usborne Book of Living Long Ago (Explainers)
  • Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess
  • Pompeii...Buried Alive!
  • Missionary Stories with the Millers (Miller Family)
  • Leading Little Ones to God: A Child's Book of Bible Teachings
  • Greek Myths For Young Children
  • George Muller: The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • The Little Riders
Judy Hindley, who has written more than fifty books for children, has a special knack for capturing the language and subjects that delight preschoolers. Among her books are THE BIG RED BUS, THE PERFECT LITTLE MONSTER, and THE BEST THING ABOUT A PUPPY. She is also the author of the immensely popular EYES, NOSE, FINGERS, AND TOES and DO LIKE A DUCK DOES.
More about Judy Hindley...