Start by marking “From Sea to Shining Sea: A Treasury of American Folklore and Folk Songs” as Want to Read:
From Sea to Shining Sea: A Treasury of American Folklore and Folk Songs

From Sea to Shining Sea: A Treasury of American Folklore and Folk Songs

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A compilation of more than 140 folk songs, tales, poems, and stories telling the history of America and reflecting its multicultural society. Illustrated by award-winning artists.
Published October 1st 1993 by Scholastic, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about From Sea to Shining Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Sea to Shining Sea

Danielle. Pruitt
I have to first say that I bought this to give as a gift to my sisters two girls. Then we moved and it was packed up and I finally got it out of the boxes. Too late to give to the girls, they are above average in school already. So, I was wondering who can I give it to. I decided to give it to my cousins child. The mother of his child "home schools". So, the 9 year old would love this book. I have to say it is a well written book. I read it myself and I'm a adult. I really loved that the book in ...more
Lauri
Perfect stories and songs for the elementary music teacher.
Ashlynn Johnson
The stories in this book really help you see how stories have evolved, where we started, how certain things came to pass. It's really eye opening. I really like how they are compiled into certain sections. This way you really can start from the beginning and read up until the most recent. It's always fun to see the history of America through our own personal folklore.
Sapphire Moosman
I was taking a bit of a leap when I picked up this book in my Child Lit class. It was a large book, and therefore, intimidating. Yes, I said it, a children's book was intimidating. I am glad I did though. The illustrations are wonderful and fun to look at, giving all the stories a very old feel to them. This book is also a great way to teach children about culture, it even has some songs scattered throughout its pages to make it fun.

Have fun reading!
Susie
A wonderful compilation of American Folklore. Adding music makes it that much better. I had to skip around in this book but would love to have more time to relish every page. It really drew me in and I am sure that my children would love to hear the stories while they are devouring the pictures.
Tracy
Folklore. CIP Summary: "A compilation of more than 140 folk songs, tales, poems, and stories telling the history of American and reflecting its multicultural society. Illustrated by eleven Caldecott award-winning and four Caldecott Honor Book artists."

This book is nicely organized by categories. It's a very heavy book, so a child may have a difficult time holding and reading from this book. I do like that there is a huge selection of stories in one book. I might use this for read aloud with chil
Brooke Teichert
Oh this is such an amazing book!! This book is just chalked full of stories to from U.S. history and this would be a great teaching tool. Actually I would like to go back and read more of this book because I had to skip around and just read a few stories but I think this is a book worth buying. So educational and fun! My favorite section was the baseball section. I am a HUGE baseball fan and so I love learning anything there is to learn about baseball. Baseball is America's favorite pastime afte ...more
Jen
Really comprehensive. COuld be used as a textbook that suppliments American History. It is well organized and includes songs and stories and nice artwork. Helpful subject guide, more information in the back to expand on what it teaches, suggestions for further reading, author and title index and much more!
Marshaferz
My cousin Amy is an expert in children's literature. This is a fantastic book!
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Mary Sue
Mary Sue marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015