Start by marking “Ishbel's Party” as Want to Read:
Ishbel's Party

Ishbel's Party

Once she'd dreamed of being his wife

While Bethan was recovering from injuries she'd suffered while nursing in Beirut, her job with Mrs. Ruston in a peaceful Suffolk village seemed just what the doctor had ordered--plenty of fresh air and no stress.

Instead Bethan was strained to the limit. She met Fraser again, and was reminded of the guilt she'd carried with her since his
Paperback, Harlequin Presents #943, 189 pages
Published January 1987 by Harlequin Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Ishbel's Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ishbel's Party

KatieV
Wow, not sure how to rate. I'm going to go with a 3. It did keep me reading and was emotionally engaging in a depressing as crap sort of way. I agree with another reviewer, the heroine needed professional help for dealing with the various traumas, losses, and deceptions she was subjected to.

This one is certainly an emotional, tear-jerker. I love my angst, but admit I like it to be more of the manufactured HP sort. The pain the poor h went through was melodramatic in true HP fashion, but it was
boogenhagen
Leona
Jan 18, 2016 Leona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a 5 star reading experience for the quality of writing, storyline and intensity. Unfortunately, the hero got in the way of a good story, so I subtracted one star.

I'd like to skewer the hero and roast him. Worthless POS and a sorry excuse for a man.

I just couldn't forgive him for believing all the crap the stepbrother told, especially knowing how creepy and shady he really was. In his own admission, his behavior was unforgivable. He threw the heroine to the wolves, but made sure his sister
EeeJay
Jun 10, 2012 EeeJay added it
Recommended to EeeJay by: LLCSpokane
Shelves: harlequin, hqn
Like, HELLO? Doesn't anyone [in the story...] realise that the h needs a SHRINK? I mean, really. I can tell you this lil family's gonna be having mental problems for a couple of generations at least. The feeling of guilt and loss that *I* felt was monumental and I wasn't even the heroine!!! So you can imagine what she'd be feeling at losing her step-father, her step-brother's lies, her love betraying her, her best friend abandoning her AND to top it all off, none of it was her fault....

*sigh*
Tishke
Oct 07, 2014 Tishke rated it really liked it
Not quite as angsty as Dark Night Dawningand somehow I didn't feel Bethan's emotions like I did with Abby.

(view spoiler)
Kay
Sep 25, 2014 Kay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other
Tia
Apr 27, 2012 Tia rated it it was amazing
The book begins with our heroine in a hospital bed. She was flown to England after she was almost fatally injured in a bomb blast in Beirut, where she worked as a nurse as a mission worker. When her boss told her she needed time off, she was given a simple job in England to a nice older lady. Little did she know that she was the Aunt of her first and only love, our delectable hero.

When the heroine and hero meet again, there is much past between them for when the heroine was eighteen she was trie
StMargarets
Wow. I've been waiting to read this book and it did not disappoint. This is angst city. There are reviews with spoilers below, so I won't go into the plot nuances, but know that this is a heroine who has suffered a guilty conscience for ten years and tried to atone as best she can. The hero is locked into the events from ten years ago, and the story starts when they meet again. There are a lot of misunderstandings to get through and it was fascinating to see the real story come out. It takes a l ...more
Rappaccini's  Daughter
If your idea of romance is the heroine getting kicked in the teeth throughout the entire book, then, by all means, read this thing.
Fiona Marsden
Apr 12, 2012 Fiona Marsden rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like clean but angsty romance
Recommended to Fiona by: Blurb
A story of young love tragically torn apart by the machinations of a jealous step sibling. Beth had loved her best friends brother from the time she first met him at thirteen. Fraser was already a grown man and by the time she was 18 Beth was starting to hope that he would see her as a woman. On the very night it seemed that her dream might come true a combination of circumstances helped along by the selfish and vindictive actions of her stepbrother Mark sent Beth away. Rejected and humiliated b ...more
sbf20112011
Jun 13, 2012 sbf20112011 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Goodness gracious -- angst-city!! This one was way, way over-the-top, but delicious with anticipation of the redemption of the very maligned heroine. The heroine really couldn't have been more downtrodden and misunderstood. I would have enjoyed keeping the misunderstanding going a little longer, because I love scenes where an angry hero operating under misconceptions is nonetheless worried about the heroine's physical welfare (and this heroine was very weak and fainty, recovering from ...more
Abby Green
Dec 18, 2013 Abby Green rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favourite Harlequin romances. I read it years ago and it's always stayed with me. It's got everything the classics of these books promise: A compelling hero, strong empathic heroine, angst galore and more chemistry than Bogart and Bacall :)
Vintage
I read this back in February and did not post a review. I had to re-read about half of it to recall what it was about. Not a good sign.

Bethany is the martyr to end all martyrs. She gives poor burned Joan of Arc a run for her money. Set up by her evil step-brother to take the fall for killing a child under the influence, she spends the next ten years in war-torn everywhere: Africa, Lebanon, etc.

After suffering injuries from a bomb that kills a comrade, she is sent back to England to handle a lig
Jen
Apr 15, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it
This is such a randomly detailed and well written Harlequin. I can't figure out what happened to the author - she should have had a long and illustrious career with M&B but didn't seem to write very much after an initial foray. A shame, because Ishbel's Party is really great.

I won't say too much, because the pleasure is in the reveal, but the story is about a young woman named Bethan Steele, who has been severely injured in a bomb blast in Beirut. She's been working as a nurse for a relief
abbra_kadabra
Nov 25, 2012 abbra_kadabra rated it it was amazing
awesome
shms
pretty angsty initially...loved the delicious cruelty at the beginning but then got bit bored with it. felt sorry for the OW, well actually not the OW cause the h was the OW.
Shashi
Jan 21, 2009 Shashi added it
gud
Annarose
Aug 11, 2016 Annarose rated it really liked it
Prepare yourself to cry when you read this story. The story line is touching and sympathy comes naturally with the characters.
Lede
Lede rated it did not like it
Oct 04, 2014
Onu
Onu rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2013
Qobsar
Qobsar rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2016
Diana
Diana rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2012
DA4Pups
DA4Pups rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Cathy Norfin
Cathy Norfin rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Erinne
Erinne rated it liked it
May 14, 2016
Reybert
Reybert rated it really liked it
May 22, 2012
Ana
Ana rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Simmy
Simmy rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Joeera Gilani
Joeera Gilani rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Stacy Absalom wrote four romance novels from 1983 to 1986. She lives with her husband Derek, on the fringe of a small English village overlooking the rolling Leicestershire countryside. She In her spare time, she enjoys listening to classical music, knitting very complicated patterns, and driving fast cars.
More about Stacy Absalom...